Yep.

Chelsea's home grown players last season:
  1. Begovic (now at Bournemouth)
  2. Cahill
  3. Chalobah (linked to Watford)
  4. Fabregas
  5. Moses
  6. Terry (now at Villa)
They've got a few U21s that will fulfill the criteria when they turn 22 but even then, they've sold Ake, loaned out Abraham, Loftus Cheek is linked to Newcastle and Brighton, and Musonda's future is unclear.

Lukaku would have plugged their expanding gap up nicely.

Our home grown players last season:
  1. Carrick (near the end of his career)
  2. Johnstone (going to Villa)
  3. Jones
  4. Lingard
  5. Pogba
  6. Rooney (going to Everton)
  7. Schneiderlin (now at Everton)
  8. Smalling (linked with move away)
  9. Young
This coming season Adnan will count as home grown as well and would have to be registered in 25 man squad if he were to stay but I can't see it. Shaw will have to be registered in 25 man squad too - fine as we've got the space. Wilson will have to be too but I can't see him being registered and there's nothing linking him with a move away.

So can see why both clubs really wanted him. Just 24 years old and likely to be at whatever club he goes to for quite a few years.

podurban2

Yep.

Chelsea's home grown players last season:
  1. Begovic (now at Bournemouth)
  2. Cahill
  3. Chalobah (linked to Watford)
  4. Fabregas
  5. Moses
  6. Terry (now at Villa)
They've got a few U21s that will fulfill the criteria when they turn 22 but even then, they've sold Ake, loaned out Abraham, Loftus Cheek is linked to Newcastle and Brighton, and Musonda's future is unclear.

Lukaku would have plugged their expanding gap up nicely.

Our home grown players last season:
  1. Carrick (near the end of his career)
  2. Johnstone (going to Villa)
  3. Jones
  4. Lingard
  5. Pogba
  6. Rooney (going to Everton)
  7. Schneiderlin (now at Everton)
  8. Smalling (linked with move away)
  9. Young
This coming season Adnan will count as home grown as well and would have to be registered in 25 man squad if he were to stay but I can't see it. Shaw will have to be registered in 25 man squad too - fine as we've got the space. Wilson will have to be too but I can't see him being registered and there's nothing linking him with a move away.

So can see why both clubs really wanted him. Just 24 years old and likely to be at whatever club he goes to for quite a few years.
Pretty sure Andreas Pereira is home grown as well.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Pretty sure Andreas Pereira is home grown as well.
He is but like Chaddy says he doesn't need to be registered yet. I was only talking about United HG players who'd need to be registered from next season. We've got likes of Rashford, Tuanzebe and Fosu Mensah for a few years in the future if all goes well.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I'd love if Torino and Real refused to do business with Chelsea, would be hilarious.

wesser99

Dont really understand the bad feelings towards Dier he plays his role very well has a pass to him and chips in with a few goals, surely if we want a 6 then we want one thats gonna sit in his position and perform. For me Fabinho is a good midfielder but goes wondering something a dm shouldnt do. Just find it strange no one would want him when he performed well last season Tottenham seemed to play their best football.

haram

fecking cnuts

Of all clubs to spin that agent narrative for. fecking Chelsea?

Dazzmondo

Dont really understand the bad feelings towards Dier he plays his role very well has a pass to him and chips in with a few goals, surely if we want a 6 then we want one thats gonna sit in his position and perform. For me Fabinho is a good midfielder but goes wondering something a dm shouldnt do. Just find it strange no one would want him when he performed well last season Tottenham seemed to play their best football.
Well I think the season before he was very good. Last season I don't really think his performances remained at the same level and ultimately Wanyama took his place. I don't think he's average like many are saying but the prices quoted are very high for any dm tbh, not to mind one who is 2nd choice for his current club. I wouldn't be too upset if we signed him but there are better options imo. Maybe they aren't available though, in which case Dier would be a solid if unremarkable signing. Better to get him than nobody.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Starting to think we'll be after a 10 rather than an 6. No real hard links to DM's but our trying to sign griezmann is a hard fact.
Griezmann's not a #10, is he, though? Secondary-striker since a while and before he was a winger.

Android1974

I'd strongly doubt it if we weren't in for a 6, though perhaps we are after a 10 as well with Rooney going. Griezmann isn't really a 10 either, as he plays as a secondary striker, although it is a very similar role. Also, I'd say there are fairly strong links with us to Dier, Matic and Fabinho with varying degrees.
Not such a similar role. It's just that Griezmann drops so much and is so mobile he appears everywhere, but most of the time he's coming from goal to receive the ball, just like another striker.

Android1974

Pretty sure he would have played behind Zlatan if everything had gone according to plan.
Behind, you mean, side by side? Then, I agree. Both drop immensely. No way Zlatan would change the way he plays now. No sense in changing Griezmann either. If he started as a true Mourinho #10 in 4-2-3-1 he would drop till our defense.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Behind, you mean, side by side? Then, I agree. Both drop immensely. No way Zlatan would change the way he plays now. No sense in changing Griezmann either. If he started as a true Mourinho #10 in 4-2-3-1 he would drop till our defense.
No I think he would have essentially be deployed as a #10. And if one drops off to get the ball, then the other would push up. Griezmann has played as a #9 before so he is more than capable of switching positions with Zlatan and vice versa.

Android1974

No I think he would have essentially be deployed as a #10. And if one drops off to get the ball, then the other would push up. Griezmann has played as a #9 before so he is more than capable of switching positions with Zlatan and vice versa.
Alright, but still not a #10. The 4-2-3-1 would have been transformed into a 4-4-2, which would be even better with Rashford.

RDCR07

Alright, but still not a #10. The 4-2-3-1 would have been transformed into a 4-4-2, which would be even better with Rashford.
It is a #10. But if Zlatan drops back deep to get the ball, then for that possession he becomes the #10 and Griezmann becomes the #9. Its a plain switch man for man. Or Mou might have had plans to scrap the wingers and play a 4-4-2 diamond which would have been interesting.

Android1974

It is a #10. But if Zlatan drops back deep to get the ball, then for that possession he becomes the #10 and Griezmann becomes the #9. Its a plain switch man for man. Or Mou might have had plans to scrap the wingers and play a 4-4-2 diamond which would have been interesting.
I had the idea a secondary-striker was usually called a #9,5, but maybe I'm wrong.

Android1974

The diamond would be interesting and still possible: Rashford-Lukaku with Mkhitaying behind them. But we would need another strong attacking #8, in my view. Shaw would have to come good, but the Perišić interest wouldn't make much sense.

RDCR07

The diamond would be interesting and still possible: Rashford-Lukaku with Mkhitaying behind them. But we would need another strong attacking #8, in my view. Shaw would have to come good, but the Perišić interest wouldn't make much sense.
Yes didnt the Perisic interest come after we knew Griezmann wasnt coming iirc? Us not getting him might have changed Mou's plans again. Also we didnt know that interest in him is real. I for one hope not.

Android1974

Yes didnt the Perisic interest come after we knew Griezmann wasnt coming iirc? Us not getting him might have changed Mou's plans again. Also we didnt know that interest in him is real. I for one hope not.
I feel it's very real, and that Mourinho really wants him. Maybe he sees in him something we immediately don't. People think he's going to the left, but I'm not so sure. All the other wingers we were talked about are right-wingers, this guy is double-footed and Mourinho likes them wrongfooted on the wing.

NinjaFletch

Starting to think we'll be after a 10 rather than an 6. No real hard links to DM's but our trying to sign griezmann is a hard fact.
I'm pretty sure Griezmann was a player we decided was so good we'd buy him first and work out where to play him later. It's why I wasn't ever particularly fussed about us signing him of not.

Scholsey2004

I'd strongly doubt it if we weren't in for a 6, though perhaps we are after a 10 as well with Rooney going. Griezmann isn't really a 10 either, as he plays as a secondary striker, although it is a very similar role. Also, I'd say there are fairly strong links with us to Dier, Matic and Fabinho with varying degrees.
Id have classed 10 as either cam or second striker but anyway. The links with those players though, none of them are actual bids, just rumours. We know we're after a striker because weve bid for two. We know we're after a winger because we've bid for perisic. We know we've bid strongly on a second striker in griezmann. We havent bid on a defensive midfielder though. You'd imagine if we were genuinely after one thered have been a bid by now.

Last edited:

Scholsey2004

I'm pretty sure Griezmann was a player we decided was so good we'd buy him first and work out where to play him later. It's why I wasn't ever particularly fussed about us signing him of not.
Perhaps. It did have a slight air of a woodward signing rather than mourinho. Hed be gold dust for marketing.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Thank you Spurs.

WPMUFC

Chelsea PR trying to twist a narrative, last nights "development" was nothing more than Chelsea trying to save face.

gr3yham3

Perhaps back then, we were still unsure about the Lukaku deal and wanted a wide man to give us balance in a lone striker formation with Morata coming in.

With Griezmann staying, Inter solving their FFP issues, the Lukaku- Rooney deal working out and hopefully a deal for Morata and Fabinho happening, maybe Jose thinks we need to change our formation to allow for more goals. We can play a diamond or 4132 formation. This also allows our younger strikers in Rashford and Martial more minutes as strikers,while Mata/Mkhi/Lingard get to play as AM. Pogba will be in a midfield trio and know there will be a Fabinho and even Herrera covering the space behind him.