Transgender rights discussion

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
“We will not be erased and we will not have any man with a penis tell us he’s a lesbian because he feels he is.”

I’m not really sure how widening your definition of lesbian erases other lesbians. Is she arguing that it diminishes ‘their struggle to be accepted?’ Because if so surely she has to see the irony there?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Transphobia is still fairly normalised in a way racism and homophobia aren't (or aren't as much).

The mere existence of trans people is funny to some people with trans folk being the butt of jokes simply for being trans.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Transphobia is still fairly normalised in a way racism and homophobia aren't (or aren't as much).

The mere existence of trans people is funny to some people with trans folk being the butt of jokes simply for being trans.
Is it?

From the article:

Racially-motivated crimes accounted for 70 per cent of offences, followed by sexual orientation (17 per cent), disability (9 per cent), religion (6 per cent) and transgender identity (3 per cent).
All hate crime is bad (lol all lives matter), but it still seems racism is still fairly normalised.

SV_Planegg

Supports
SV Planegg-Krailling
“We will not be erased and we will not have any man with a penis tell us he’s a lesbian because he feels he is.”

I’m not really sure how widening your definition of lesbian erases other lesbians. Is she arguing that it diminishes ‘their struggle to be accepted?’ Because if so surely she has to see the irony there?
Well, I can see where she's coming from. Widening the definition of group identity has the potential (in some cases) to make the definition itself redundant, because if the treshold, criteria or rules around the definition of identities are too easy to challenge, change and/or abolish, that makes the definition a very loose one at best, which can in turn lead to uncertainty, leading to anxiety and identity crisis (for the individual and groups as a whole) or other kinds of problems regarding communication and mental health, which the definition was meant to prevent in the first place. Lesbians for example had to establish a community and a definition of who they are and their value as human beings, against religious and/or cultural oppression which gave them a sense of agency and a sense of belonging/existence, enabling women struggling with social norms and ostracisation to feel seen, heard and accepted for their sense of self. Trying to dictate the definition those women found for themselves is a fascist trait and should imo be called out as such. The community itself has every right to change the rules and beliefs around their identity and those outside the group have every right to make recommendations in good faith. A consensus has to be found within the group though, not outside of it.

To use an oversimplified metaphor... why call a Navajo a Navajo, if that definition can be challenged freely, just by me identifying as one. Me feeling I belong to a certain group who's rules and criteria don't match with my observable personal traits, abilities or behavioral patterns, doesn't make me part of that group or give me the right to dictate their identity and I expect many people on here to stand firm against allowing me to identify as a Navajo.

Social groups are a construct revolving around certain rules/beliefs. Those rules might involve genetics/biology, culture, sexual orientation, spirituality, shared history/experiences and many more. It's a complex structure of many individuals, that share certain similarities and see themselves as part of a group while also being accepted by others within the group as part of it. It's not a one way street.

Edit:
Btw. I don't really see the irony because neither Mrs. Harris nor the lesbian/gay community makes an attempt to systemically oppress others in their endeavour to build their own identity and a community around that. They simply don't want others to appropriate their identity and/or dictate the definition of it.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Long thread:

Hard to make any sense of that without knowing what they mean by “trans hostile”.

I don’t see how any news article which touches on a (currently) controversial issue could avoid at least some content which could potentially be interpreted as “hostile”.

Bit of a glib analogy but I’m sure you could do a similar analysis on coverage of Manchester United and conclude we’re being overwhelmed by “MUFC hostile” content.

Pogue Mahone

For a political party so besotted with capitalism, the republican party sure seems to hate choice.

and if "unalterable harm" is their concern, someone should really let them know you can't undo suicide
Yeah, that’s a pretty common paradox on the right. They want a small, non-interventionist government. Expect when it comes to stuff they don’t like. Then they want the government all over that shit.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
For a political party so besotted with capitalism, the republican party sure seems to hate choice.

and if "unalterable harm" is their concern, someone should really let them know you can't undo suicide
They view trans and other non hetero people as defective and their elitism has an inate predilection towards eugenics that outweighs any other considerations their Christian faith might otherwise lead them to such as compassion and leaving judgement to god.

The reality is that people killing themselves because they're unhappy in their own skin is an actual problem but again, they'd rather be rid of these people than help them.

D. Grayson

Supports
Ashwood City FC.
Yeah, that’s a pretty common paradox on the right. They want a small, non-interventionist government. Expect when it comes to stuff they don’t like. Then they want the government all over that shit.
I would say this is the most extreme form of confirmation bias, but at this point, they do not even need confirmation.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I mean obviously I knew a little about how bad some of them were but my word, Rowling is for all intents and purposes an agent of the --- - -----*.

*Not because it's not true but because she could sue.

NotThatSoph

lemons are annoying
I mean obviously I knew a little about how bad some of them were but my word, Rowling is for all intents and purposes an agent of the --- - -----*.

Forstater has recently been going off on twitter, in a really Glinneresque way, because a library has an alien mascot from a species that is genderless. Of course it's trans propaganda, that goes without saying, but it's also completely implausible and unscientific that this species doesn't reproduce sexually (I don't remember if the library said this or if she figured it out because of no gender) because the alien is a bit anthropomorphic rather than a slime and because it has a spine. It's quite the spectacle.

Semper Fudge

Apt Tagline
Forstater has recently been going off on twitter, in a really Glinneresque way, because a library has an alien mascot from a species that is genderless. Of course it's trans propaganda, that goes without saying, but it's also completely implausible and unscientific that this species doesn't reproduce sexually (I don't remember if the library said this or if she figured it out because of no gender) because the alien is a bit anthropomorphic rather than a slime and because it has a spine. It's quite the spectacle.
The likes of Forstater and other TERFs just can't stop thinking about genitalia, it's pathological. They're dangerous.

stepic

graham norton gets interviewed, he says that people shouldn't listen to celebs like him and instead talk to trans people, their parents, and doctors. because of this, rowling calls him a rape apologist, and her terf twitter minions send him so much abuse he quits twitter

normal day on terf island

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
graham norton gets interviewed, he says that people shouldn't listen to celebs like him and instead talk to trans people, their parents, and doctors. because of this, rowling calls him a rape apologist, and her terf twitter minions send him so much abuse he quits twitter

normal day on terf island
Who does this guy think he is?!

Sensible McSensibleperson?

Duafc

Village Lemon
That's the fifth time I have done that today. Clearly copying and pasting too many tweets. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully the Times video excerpt should be showing for you?
Tis, much appreciated!

NotThatSoph

lemons are annoying

I've watched this now. It's 30 minutes long so most understandably won't bother, so I thought I'd give some notes. As the title says it's not mainly about Rowling, but the people she associates with; those in the picture and other people she pals around with online and in real life. A theme that keeps repeating is that these people say they're not anti trans, they're just worried about women's rights, and how this is hard to square with how most of them work with and support the right wing. Here there are examples of everything from "normal" conservatives to far right fascists and white nationalists, it's people who oppose the right to abortion, the right to gay marriage and people who want to criminalize gay sex. The last two points aren't directly related to women's rights, but they are rights that have historically been important for and supported by feminist movements, and maybe more on the nose is the fact that these people very often use lesbians as a shield for their views. They say they just want to protect lesbians from men who think they are women, but they don't have a problem with people who want to throw lesbians in jail.

Right out of the gate, at 0:45, there's an illustrative example of how Rowling frames things. She writes about Magdalen Berns:

Months later, I compounded my accidental 'like' crime by following Magdalen Berns on Twitter. Magdalen was an immensely brave young feminist and lesbian who was dying of an aggressive brain tumour. I followed her because I wanted to contact her directly, which I succeeded in doing. However, as Magdalen was a great believer in biological sex, and didn't believe lesbians should be called bigots for not dating trans women with penises, dots were joined in the heads of twitter trans activists, and the level of social media abuse increased.
Here are just two out of many, many of Berns' tweets. She was also a fan of Milo, a nazi and an apologist for peadophilia. Rowling is aware of all this:

Is this someone who just cares deeply about biological sex and someone who just doesn't want lesbians to be called bigots (this is an extremely common refrain from Rowling in particular, while it is something that is very rare and is not why the TERF crowd is receiving criticism)? No, of course not, it's a laughable thing to say but Rowling does it anyway. It's not an accident, for two reasons: 1) It's a "mistake" she keeps repeating, and 2) it's a "mistake" she never makes when she talks about trans people or activists.

Another example from around the 8 minute mark, here's a tweet:

This is about an event called "Let Women Speak", and Rowling has mentioned this a lot. Now, the thing is, it was a general gender critical event about the alleged dangers of trans ideology, it was not about lesbians. They were mentioned, of course, but it was not the focus of the event. The majority of speakers were not lesbians, either, I don't know if anyone were but it's possible. So right out of the gate Rowling is lying about what sort of an event this is, is she leaving anything else out? The main organizer was Posie Parker, someone who believes that trans people should be forcefully sterilized. Hearts of Oak were there (Tommy Robinson), and other right wingers and fascists.

Around 23:30 Shaun makes a more general point when he asks what it actually means to support gay rights or the right to an abortion. When asked Rowling will say that she supports these things, and I'm sure that this is true. If there was a vote she would vote for. But she's not voting. She's also not campaigning, she's mostly silent. That's fine, most people are, but in addition to being silent she's constantly supporting and working with people campaigning against those rights. What does that mean? On that note, here's another tweet where among other things she showcases her impeccable sense of humor and drops all pretenses about supporting trans people:

Emma Nicholson is a personal friend of Rowlng. She is also a politician, a Baroness who is a member of the House of Lords, who campaigns to restrict abortion rights and against gay marriage. Just to cap all this off, here's a last one:

"innocent gay boys" is referring to trans women. Kavanagh was later banned again from Twitter when he sent death threats to Mermaids and Stonewall. Rowling knows all this because she keeps blocking people who bring it up to her in case she just wasn't aware.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilentWitness

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
@NotThatSoph doesn't feck around, as usual.

Kinda on topic, just watched the new john oliver show, where he addresses this again. So infuriating seeing these fecking conservative politicians literally stealing these kids' childhoods because of their prejudices and malice.

If anyone is interested:

They have to make that little girl meet dolly parton in a future episode.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout

She is so disgusting.

What kind of hell have we made that values such displays of public depravity as cultural currency.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I've watched this now. It's 30 minutes long so most understandably won't bother, so I thought I'd give some notes. As the title says it's not mainly about Rowling, but the people she associates with; those in the picture and other people she pals around with online and in real life. A theme that keeps repeating is that these people say they're not anti trans, they're just worried about women's rights, and how this is hard to square with how most of them work with and support the right wing. Here there are examples of everything from "normal" conservatives to far right fascists and white nationalists, it's people who oppose the right to abortion, the right to gay marriage and people who want to criminalize gay sex. The last two points aren't directly related to women's rights, but they are rights that have historically been important for and supported by feminist movements, and maybe more on the nose is the fact that these people very often use lesbians as a shield for their views. They say they just want to protect lesbians from men who think they are women, but they don't have a problem with people who want to throw lesbians in jail.

Right out of the gate, at 0:45, there's an illustrative example of how Rowling frames things. She writes about Magdalen Berns:

Here are just two out of many, many of Berns' tweets. She was also a fan of Milo, a nazi and an apologist for peadophilia. Rowling is aware of all this:

Is this someone who just cares deeply about biological sex and someone who just doesn't want lesbians to be called bigots (this is an extremely common refrain from Rowling in particular, while it is something that is very rare and is not why the TERF crowd is receiving criticism)? No, of course not, it's a laughable thing to say but Rowling does it anyway. It's not an accident, for two reasons: 1) It's a "mistake" she keeps repeating, and 2) it's a "mistake" she never makes when she talks about trans people or activists.

Another example from around the 8 minute mark, here's a tweet:

This is about an event called "Let Women Speak", and Rowling has mentioned this a lot. Now, the thing is, it was a general gender critical event about the alleged dangers of trans ideology, it was not about lesbians. They were mentioned, of course, but it was not the focus of the event. The majority of speakers were not lesbians, either, I don't know if anyone were but it's possible. So right out of the gate Rowling is lying about what sort of an event this is, is she leaving anything else out? The main organizer was Posie Parker, someone who believes that trans people should be forcefully sterilized. Hearts of Oak were there (Tommy Robinson), and other right wingers and fascists.

Around 23:30 Shaun makes a more general point when he asks what it actually means to support gay rights or the right to an abortion. When asked Rowling will say that she supports these things, and I'm sure that this is true. If there was a vote she would vote for. But she's not voting. She's also not campaigning, she's mostly silent. That's fine, most people are, but in addition to being silent she's constantly supporting and working with people campaigning against those rights. What does that mean? On that note, here's another tweet where among other things she showcases her impeccable sense of humor and drops all pretenses about supporting trans people:

Emma Nicholson is a personal friend of Rowlng. She is also a politician, a Baroness who is a member of the House of Lords, who campaigns to restrict abortion rights and against gay marriage. Just to cap all this off, here's a last one:

"innocent gay boys" is referring to trans women. Kavanagh was later banned again from Twitter when he sent death threats to Mermaids and Stonewall. Rowling knows all this because she keeps blocking people who bring it up to her in case she just wasn't aware.
Sensational post. Thanks for this.

Pogue Mahone

She’s not lying though. That tweet doesn’t even try to describe what the event is about other than alluding to “women speaking out about sex based rights”. Which must be close to the truth, right? The rest is just a rant about what she sees as nasty tactics from trans rights activists.

Seems to me there are bad actors all over the place in this whole grim war. That includes those who twist words to portray well know authors as liars. Even though that’s a lesser crime than the much more evil right wingers who will use someone like Rowling as a figurehead for whatever agenda they want to bring to the party.

nimic

something nice
Scout
She’s not lying though. That tweet doesn’t even try to describe what the event is about other than alluding to “women speaking out about sex based rights”. Which must be close to the truth, right? The rest is just a rant about what she sees as nasty tactics from trans rights activists.

Seems to me there are bad actors all over the place in this whole grim war. That includes those who twist words to portray well know authors as liars. Even though that’s a lesser crime than the much more evil right wingers who will use someone like Rowling as a figurehead for whatever agenda they want to bring to the party.
I notice that you don't mention Rowling herself, only her being used as a figurehead.

Pogue Mahone

I notice that you don't mention Rowling herself, only her being used as a figurehead.
Well, in the post I responded to, Rowling’s being criticised based on the opinions of people who are aligning themselves with her cause. They’re the people I’m alluding to. Tommy Robinson, for example.

I’m not aware of Rowling herself holding extreme right wing or conservative opinions on any other issues. Are you?

nimic

something nice
Scout
Well, in the post I responded to, Rowling’s being criticised based on the opinions of people who are aligning themselves with her cause. They’re the people I’m alluding to. Tommy Robinson, for example.

I’m not aware of Rowling herself holding extreme right wing or conservative opinions on any other issues. Are you?
Not as such, no. She should probably reject their support, though, if they're particularly unsavoury.

NotThatSoph

lemons are annoying
Some more fun. A few days ago Graham Norton spoke at the Cheltenham Literature Festival. Among other things the topic was cancel culture, and Rowling's name came up. CNN reports:

Frostrup asked Norton about “Harry Potter” author J.K. Rowling, who has claimed she’s been “canceled” for repeatedly expressing anti-transgender views. Norton, without mentioning Rowling’s name, said that, as a “bloke on the telly,” his voice – and voices of other famous figures like Rowling – are “artificially amplified” on topics they’re not experts in.

“If people want to shine a light on those issues, and I hope that they do, then talk to trans people,” he told Frostrup. “Talk to the parents of trans kids. Talk to doctors, talk to psychiatrists. Talk to someone who can illuminate this in some way.

“Can we wrestle up some f*****g experts … rather than a man in a shiny pink suit?” he asked to the audience’s laughter.
Billy Bragg - the singer-songwriter rather than the infamous Cafite - supported Norton's take on Twitter, to which Rowling responded by accusing them of supporting rape and death threats.

Tarrou

I thought Norton spoke really well on the subject, just goes to show how far off the deep-end she's gone to react so aggressively towards that

Pogue Mahone

I thought Norton spoke really well on the subject, just goes to show how far off the deep-end she's gone to react so aggressively towards that
Yeah. He was good. The video is doing the rounds. Rowling’s definitely ended up doing that thing which everyone who spends any time involved immersed in the online culture war ends up doing. Divides anyone who gets involved into two discrete categories “with us” or “against us”. A Venn diagram with no overlap. It’s very childish and kind of fascinating to watch. They’re all at it though. On both sides.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Yeah. He was good. The video is doing the rounds. Rowling’s definitely ended up doing that thing which everyone who spends any time involved immersed in the online culture war ends up doing. Divides anyone who gets involved into two discrete categories “with us” or “against us”. A Venn diagram with no overlap. It’s very childish and kind of fascinating to watch. They’re all at it though. On both sides.
I find the both sides rhetoric very problematic considering one of these sides is fighting to to simply live an equal life in peace and the other side is trying to prevent that from happening. I get what you’re trying to say, in that some people are obviously resorting to means that are unwarranted. But painting both sides as equally wrong is unwarranted and dangerous. There is no violence in the simple act of fighting for acceptance and equality. Any violence on this side lies merely with the means chosen to fight.
But the fight to prevent this equality is inherently violent, no matter which means are being chosen.

Pogue Mahone

I find the both sides rhetoric very problematic considering one of these sides is fighting to to simply live an equal life in peace and the other side is trying to prevent that from happening. I get what you’re trying to say, in that some people are obviously resorting to means that are unwarranted. But painting both sides as equally wrong is unwarranted and dangerous. There is no violence in the simple act of fighting for acceptance and equality. Any violence on this side lies merely with the means chosen to fight.
But the fight to prevent this equality is inherently violent, no matter which means are being chosen.
Ah yeah. I’m not doing the Trump thing here. Implying both sides are as bad as each other. One of these two sides has far more unpleasant and mean spirited people on their side than the other. Which is, at the very least, well intentioned.

My comment is more aimed at the field of battle where this happens. There are plenty of people with nuanced opinions that might disagree with some elements of the debate while agreeing about the other. But they don’t get heard as their opinions don’t suit 140 character slanging matches. So the whole thing is unbelievably toxic. Which is why I think people who spend too long immersed in the whole shit show (people like Rowling) end up going a little nuts.