Trent can’t defend

Status
Not open for further replies.

phelans shorts

I see this said often but I don't think it's a simple matter of "he can't defend so he needs to play higher up." At any level in football, space is harder to find the further up the field you play. People might say oh but he plays high up the pitch as a right back anyway but he's coming into those spaces from deep and also the opposition defenders are busy marking the likes of Salah and Jota when he does that so it might take some doing, him playing further up the field.
I think he’d work on the right side of a midfield 3 (or even better as right wing back) where he can pull out when they have the ball and overload the flank. Can drop back and ping passes too when necessary.

Of course none of this will happen because as evidenced today, the backup is even worse.

cyberman

I don't think that goal was his fault. He was marking two players.
He wasnt, that’s the point. He allowed two players to run the outside of him as he moved inside towards a player that was already covered.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He would probably be okay in England's lineup to be fair as England are so do defensive anyway with 5 at the back.

He can't keep playing like this in Liverpool's system. He basically plays right wing, leaving huge gaps.
I'm not sure, might as well not test it in the international stage especially if you're not going to specialize your team to extract his best and neither have the talent to do so, all in all I think Southgate made the right decision.

On your second point it goes without saying, he's been an unmitigated disaster recently, klopp definitely needs to change things up, it's not working.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I don't think that goal was his fault. He was marking two players.
I’d agree. He was in an impossible situation there. In a perfect world he’d have dropped to track Martinelli, but with the poor marking around him (Henderson most culpable) he was likely fecked either way.

Second goal was poor - looks like he’s overcompensating in response to the recent criticism.

Kazi

What actually happened to him though? Was Klopp’s system really covering up his flaws that much previously?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
What actually happened to him though? Was Klopp’s system really covering up his flaws that much previously?
Yes. The entire point of having a boring and workhorse midfield 3 was that they would cover for the “full backs” who were basically playing as wingers and spamming balls into the box. Fabinho has turned to shit, Milner and Henderson don’t have the legs. They don’t have that kind of midfield anymore.

Also teams had mentally lost before they faced them and didn’t really have the confidence to target Trent specifically. We did it with Rashy on a couple of occasions but no other team got the memo. This season we did it again and Napoli followed it up very quickly which finally got the snowball rolling. Teams are finally realizing this guy is turd.

Chief123

Playing against Liverpool is the easiest tactical team talk for every opposition team right now.

Just put someone with a bit of pace or trickery on your left wing and you’ll create plenty of chances behind Trent and the high line.

His lack of awareness and desire to defend is criminal and a delight for opponents.

I can see Martinelli tearing him an absolute new one.

Chief123

Opponents rarely got to test having a go at Liverpools defence because Liverpools midfield was high energy and intensive in pressing. They would suffocate. You didn’t get the chance to get numbers forward and expose Liverpools high line and spaces behind their full backs. Their midfield and forwards losing that intense press is exposing Liverpools weaknesses badly now.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Everyone saw this happening though. Even Klopp.

Put him right of a midfield four and push Salah up top with Nunez. Solves two problems We’re already playing 4-4-2.

Chief123

Put him right of a midfield four and push Salah up top with Nunez. Solves two problems We’re already playing 4-4-2.
There’s just no way 442 would work for Liverpool nor would klopp do it. In modern football, you just don’t get top level successful teams playing that formation anymore.

A midfield 2 of Henderson and Thiago would just get over run by most teams. Add to that Trent on the right of them and you’d get past that midfield with ease.

You need 2 Kante’s to be able to play 442 successfully nowadays.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
There’s just no way 442 would work for Liverpool nor would klopp do it. In modern football, you just don’t get top level successful teams playing that formation anymore.

A midfield 2 of Henderson and Thiago would just get over run by most teams. Add to that Trent on the right of them and you’d get past that midfield with ease.

You need 2 Kante’s to be able to play 442 successfully nowadays.
We’re getting overrun with a midfield three so I don’t think we have much choice at this point.

Chief123

We’re getting overrun with a midfield three so I don’t think we have much choice at this point.
If you’re getting over run with a midfield 3, then you’re definitely getting over run with a midfield 2. An aged midfield 2 as well. With klopp wanting to play a high line as well, it’s football suicide.

Right now I still believe a 5-2-3 system suits Liverpool the best and will allow them to steady the ship. Will never happen either.

Klopp is far too stubborn to change what he believes in which is clearly broken right now.

Djemba-Djemba

For me, it’s teams preparing for it now. Brighton put Trossard up against him and he scored a hat trick.

Napoli targeted him and got success all game.

Liverpool are an great team with one glaring weakness so teams are targeting it now more in my opinion.
Utd also definitely targeted him in the 2-1 win in August, first half especially.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The match against Napoli might be a foregone conclusion when they play again, but I hope he’s up against Kvaradona again :lol:

Loon

:lol:
It’s probably done both parties a favour if he’s out injured for a spell.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
He shouldn’t be blamed for the first goal, it was an impossible situation for him to defend properly.

The second goal, he lacked awareness, ran to Henderson’s position and then Arsenal scored the second goal.

Sylar

Wouldnt 532 work for you and the players.
You get salah and nunez up top. Three Cbs. Trent on the right who has that side and Robertson on the other side. You then get three in midfield with at least one or two helping the back and the other helping the strikers from deep.

Trent I still would say would be perfect for as a sub for England. Come on late for crossing to Kane without defensive responsibilities given how England set up. Would give you the crossing / spamming of Trent and the trickery of somebody like Saka.

For TAA, moving him up like Spurs did with Bale wouldnt work as he doesnt have that drive like Bale did to work the same way. But its mad Liverpool are just in denial regarding his defending

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

It’s been a slow and steady decline ever since he posted this.

Vapor trail

I think he should play centre midfield. It's one thing to be an attacking contributor but if he's that rudimentary at making defensive mistakes he's a liability for the team. Heard from Rio's channel that he grew up playing as a 8 so if that's the case why not put Gomez down the right and Trent where Henderson plays.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think he should play centre midfield. It's one thing to be an attacking contributor but if he's that rudimentary at making defensive mistakes he's a liability for the team. Heard from Rio's channel that he grew up playing as a 8 so if that's the case why not put Gomez down the right and Trent where Henderson plays.
Lacks defensive positioning and ability to track runners and you want to play him in midfield?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
8 in midfield has less defensive responsibility than a 6 or 4 or a fullback.
But still has responsibility in the middle of the park. Unless he plays at 10 its alot

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I think he would look great in a back 5 with a couple of CDMs covering his ass.

I don't think Liverpool are ever likely to play that way under Klopp though.

I think he would be totally fine for England on the right side of their back 5 with Philips/ Rice infront of the CBs and Saka tracking back in front of him.

Trent was always this bad defensively , it's nothing new.

Liverpool have always got attacked far more down his side than they have down Robertsons side, the only difference is that now sides are routinely scoring because the rest of the system (that used to protect him) has broken down and IMO (without the system to cover for him) he is now a complete and total liability there defensively.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Liverpool were miles better defensively without him.

A far better team defensively without him on the pitch. I hope they bring him back soon.

arnie_ni

Liverpool were miles better defensively without him.

A far better team defensively without him on the pitch. I hope they bring him back soon.
He almost cost them a goal in injury time as well

He fell asleep and let foden waltz in behind him, he put in a class cross for an easy tap in if any forward made a run.

Skills

Snitch
His position will be interesting now with injuries. I think they'll stick with a 4-4-2 and he'll play RM

Status
Not open for further replies.