Trent can’t defend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Is that second goal on him? He was outnumbered at the back post and Elliott was nowhere helping to cover.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Elliott was nowhere helping to cover.
As usual when Elliot plays.

People go on and on about Nunez but Elliot is the biggest problem in your team IMO.

Doesn't offer much going forward and nothing in defense.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool

People go on and on about Nunez but Elliot is the biggest problem in your team IMO.

Yeah I’m not a fan of his either. Very limited player right now. Klopp has his favourites though.

lysglimt

Scout

That's true but he is a youngster, not a £80 million striker

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Is that second goal on him? He was outnumbered at the back post and Elliott was nowhere helping to cover.
Yes, it's the fundamentals of defending taught at age 10. Play the man you can see who is in the most immediate danger. If the ball goes over his head at the back post then hold your hands up and say fantastic delivery, but you can't be letting that man in front win the ball and score. Dalot in the defense and you don't concede that as he's exceptional at the back post.

poleglass red

his fault on 2nd goal 100%. Go to the man who is between the posts, eliminate that threat first. If the cross does go longer you've still time to adjust your feet and challenge that threat coming in beyond back post. He was caught in no man's land. In the 2nd half he carelessly volleyed a ball right into his own goal mouth. His defending is so naive at times, he's 24 now, still young but at same time not a kid anymore, those mistakes are hurting his team. We seen the cross he put in for Liverpool goal, it was a fantastic pass. This game perfectly illustrates the conundrum that his game is.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Just assessing the danger would cause him to pick up Wissa, and you can see Konate specifically passes on Wissa to him as the play develops. He just wasn’t paying attention as usual. Whether the goal was all his fault is debatable, but his man scored, so he’s primarily responsible.

I definitely agree that Elliott’s causing a lot of those problems by not covering for TAA’s faults. Seems a strange trade-off to make given he’s not that good on the ball either. But your more defensive minded midfielders seem on their last legs so the sacrifice has to be made somewhere?

Robbie Boy

Elliot is absolute garbage, yet some Liverpool fans seem to think he's a cracking prospect.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Elliot is absolute garbage, yet some Liverpool fans seem to think he's a cracking prospect.
Yeah I really don't see why.

Hes atrocious physically (slow , small and weak) which would be OK if he was amazing on the ball... But he isn't!

I would go as far as to say as he is below average on the ball and an absolute liability without it.

TAA is a terrible defender but Henderson in front papered over most of those cracks, Elliot exposes him even moreso.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Mainly on Konate I’d say as he was the defender best placed to pull defenders around to cover the runners. Konate should have kept Trent far post to cover the deepest runner, so he could pick up Wissa, and then shuffled over Van Dijk and Fabiano who ended up contributing feck all. That way everyone would’ve been man-for-man rather than Trent covering two at the back post.

bringbackbebe

Not on him. Liverpool's defensive structure was bad & was geared towards a low cross to the near post. Brentford exploited that by a high cross to the far corner, every single time. Probably on Alisson/VVD who organize the defence.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He was actually pretty good defensively last night.

Mike Smalling

Looked very passive on both the second disallowed goal, and the second actual goal.

I actually don't think he's necessarily that bad in one-on-one situations where players dribble at him, but his concentration and awareness at the back post is really bad. It's cost Liverpool so many times already. I hope Klopp continues to big him up and refuse to acknowledge the problem, because in their current line-up he is real liability.

Trequarista10

I agree this is a major flaw of Liverpool's setup. Not even to discredit Elliot, but it's a shift away from what worked for them before with 3 physical, hardworking and solid CMs, allowing the full backs and wide forwards lots of freedom. Even with a top class attacking midfielder in that position it'd be a tactical problem, having a young kid in front of Trent makes it even worse.

Flexdegea

Did well in the second half I thought

World class for Neville.

The hyperbole around him when he actually Creates something. Totally forgetting the other 10 times he booted it into the box to no one.

Liverpool are so wasteful at times with balls into the box. It's worked a lot at times over the years going long but so one dimensional

Steve Bruce

World class for Neville.

The hyperbole around him when he actually Creates something. Totally forgetting the other 10 times he booted it into the box to no one.

Liverpool are so wasteful at times with balls into the box. It's worked a lot at times over the years going long but so one dimensional
I noticed that myself.

For whatever reason the media really really want Trent to be world class. He just isn't.

Flexdegea

I noticed that myself.

For whatever reason the media really really want Trent to be world class. He just isn't.

Was same before world cup all the pundits arguing why he should be in the squad, all giving fantasy tactical scenerios where he could be played because you just have to get him in, missing the bit where it wasn't making it if it wasn't for injuries to other players.

mctrials23

Hes primarily not a defender. Which is fine if you aren't having to defend much like Liverpool of the past 3 or so years. Now he is, hes somewhat disinterested and not that good at it. Couple that with VVD being a shadow of his former self and their midfield being a bit shit and its all become very obvious.

No one really gives a shit if you make a cock up and let in a goal when you set up a couple and your team wins 3-1. They do start to care when you make a mistake and your team loses.

erikcred

World class for Neville.

I understand disliking a Liverpool player, but this is a silly complaint about a player at the heart of a CL win and a multiple long winning runs in the league. Liverpool are "wasteful at times with balls into the box" but also "it's worked a lot of times"?

And as for creating something, he is one of the few players in the England squad who can create something out of absolutely nothing. Yes he has his defensive flaws but they can be managed as Klopp showed for several years. Without players like him all we'll get is a predictable team who'll get knocked out against the first half-decent opposition. He's the only liverpool player I'd gladly have on our team.

Flexdegea

I understand disliking a Liverpool player, but this is a silly complaint about a player at the heart of a CL win and a multiple long winning runs in the league. Liverpool are "wasteful at times with balls into the box" but also "it's worked a lot of times"?

And as for creating something, he is one of the few players in the England squad who can create something out of absolutely nothing. Yes he has his defensive flaws but they can be managed as Klopp showed for several years. Without players like him all we'll get is a predictable team who'll get knocked out against the first half-decent opposition. He's the only liverpool player I'd gladly have on our team.

I rate him, can't deny his creative abilities when he is flying, but His defending is woeful can't get away with that anymore.

When they struggling like they are at the moment and with Trent constantly booting it into the box its as wasteful as you can get.

Reality was he wouldn't have made that world cup squad. So the world class talk very premature in my opinion.

Mike Smalling

I noticed that myself.

The English media covering the Premier League has a really strong England bias. There's no two ways about it. The failure to see Trent's flaws, the lack of criticism of Grealish, the extreme overhyping of Declan Rice, the defense of Harry Maguire, etc.

iHicksy

I think everyone in this thread would be more than happy to say that on form Trent's crossing is absolutely world class. However, he has no ability to defend. Zero.

He is an attacker, all of his output and best work comes from being in the final third. The question has to be then, why does he simply not just play him there? He clearly has no interest in defending or improving that aspect of the game and he's spoken out about how he plays the game, not the position as playing a position shackles him. So, play him front right and get an actual defender in at right back seems to me to be the obvious choice.

I can tell you with a great degree of certainty by now Fergie would have had him in some kind of Beckham-esque role. Without someone covering his defensive aspect no top team can have a defender who can't defend.

afatzp

A fair comparison would be TAA vs Beckham instead of TAA vs Walker. If you look at his average positioning, defense should be his ancillary service , just like you can't expect Beckham to do those work.

Of course, TAA has not yet been as good as Beckham so far. His ball delivery might be already at the same level, but his off-ball and intensity is not yet the Beckham level.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I rate him, can't deny his creative abilities when he is flying, but His defending is woeful can't get away with that anymore.

When they struggling like they are at the moment and with Trent constantly booting it into the box its as wasteful as you can get.

Reality was he wouldn't have made that world cup squad. So the world class talk very premature in my opinion.
Brentford were purposely leaving him in space in the second half yesterday, as they were confident on dealing with his 30 crosses from too far out.

He got one right, with the left foot from much closer in, but people act like his delivery is incredible, when really it's a pure numbers game.

caid

I think everyone in this thread would be more than happy to say that on form Trent's crossing is absolutely world class. However, he has no ability to defend. Zero.

He is an attacker, all of his output and best work comes from being in the final third. The question has to be then, why does he simply not just play him there? He clearly has no interest in defending or improving that aspect of the game and he's spoken out about how he plays the game, not the position as playing a position shackles him. So, play him front right and get an actual defender in at right back seems to me to be the obvious choice.

I can tell you with a great degree of certainty by now Fergie would have had him in some kind of Beckham-esque role. Without someone covering his defensive aspect no top team can have a defender who can't defend.
He cant beat a player. If you put him in the front line he gets marked out of the game. As far as maximising his attacking strength goes full back is the right position.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
So with Elliot being a problem, would you play TAA in midfield as a short-term option?
I personally would move him forward and stick Ramsay or Gomez behind him. I want to see us try a 4-4-2 with TAA as a RM/RW and Salah up top with Nunez. Gakpo can play LW in that system and we can then rotate our limited midfield options as well.

It won't happen though. Managers are stubborn and Klopp likes TAA at RB.

iHicksy

He cant beat a player. If you put him in the front line he gets marked out of the game. As far as maximising his attacking strength goes full back is the right position.
When your crossing is that good you don't need pace to beat a player. Beckham made an entire career out of the RW position without needing to beat a man.

spiriticon

Never have I seen a player most suited to be a attacking right winger, but somehow his boss keeps telling me on TV that he can't be good there and must play in defence...

Whatever. I'm guess I'm not a football heavy metalist.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I want to see us try a 4-4-2 with TAA as a RM/RW and Salah up top with Nunez
I think that would have been a good solution recently.

Even a 532 until you sort your defensive issues , or a 4231 when you get your wing forwards/ firmino back.

John Giles nailed Klopp when he said "Klopps a one trick pony, he just happens to have the best trick in football" because he rarely if ever changes the system that brought him success.

caid

When your crossing is that good you don't need pace to beat a player. Beckham made an entire career out of the RW position without needing to beat a man.
I'd say beckham was quite limited by his inability to beat a player, it was the difference between him being a serious world class balon dor candidate and being a very good player. Thought Roberto Carlos had his number in games against Real Madrid, he sat off him and covered the cross, he was happy enough to let him throw in crosses from 30+ yards out because they were drastically less threatening. I think him remaining a right winger instead of a right forward when that became the more popular formation kind of showed this, the experiments with him in midfield being another example.
Beckham would probably be a right sided midfielder or a right back in todays game. And he'd be a much better defender and more complete player than Trent in either position.

Flexdegea

Brentford were purposely leaving him in space in the second half yesterday, as they were confident on dealing with his 30 crosses from too far out.

He got one right, with the left foot from much closer in, but people act like his delivery is incredible, when really it's a pure numbers game.

100% a numbers game at times. Yesterday being a prime example.

Neville creaming em to shout world class at anything he does in every other match

Status
Not open for further replies.