Trent can’t defend

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoTMS

Must be getting close to Maguire levels of defending. It seems most goals Liverpool concede this season are either his fault or come from his side.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
His defending was never so problematic though. What has changed?

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I think he’s been massively overrated. The comparisons with Cafu etc.
Cafu wasn’t great defensively but he had serious determination and a genuine football brain. Dani Alves was the same.

Trent AA lacks determination and jogs about. He has zero awareness and lacks any sort of intelligence.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Guessing most of you missed his goal against a 52 year old McGregor midweek? Have some respect.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
You’re clearly a good guy so I don’t point out t this post in malice, but surely you can accept he is now utterly shit?

He has hit Dele Ali levels of regression. He either needs moved to anotger position or dropped.

To keep him in the team Klopp would have to adapt his formation for one player. TAA would be superb in an old school 442 formation as a RM.

It seems almost every goal you lot concede, he plays a significant role.
I still think it’s a bit far to say he’s that bad. It’s the defensive side of his game where he really is terrible at the moment. It’s more noticeable now because the whole team is struggling. If he was moved higher up the pitch then I think it’s help.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
For me, it’s teams preparing for it now. Brighton put Trossard up against him and he scored a hat trick.

Napoli targeted him and got success all game.

Liverpool are an great team with one glaring weakness so teams are targeting it now more in my opinion.

jameyzane

At this rate I struggle to count how many English players are doing well consistently just before the world Cup.

Robbie Boy

Much like Bruno, when he was putting up good numbers, his deficiencies were overlooked. But when his offensive output has gone to shit, he's become a total liability.

Jev

Second goal was bizarre. He just torpedoes himself into nowhere.
Yeah, that was some really puzzling defending. Seems like Klopp's hand is being forced, has to bench him or try him out further up the pitch.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I still think it’s a bit far to say he’s that bad. It’s the defensive side of his game where he really is terrible at the moment. It’s more noticeable now because the whole team is struggling. If he was moved higher up the pitch then I think it’s help.
I think he’s shit defensively. His end product hasn’t been enough to compensate this season.

I don’t think he would make a championship team if it wasn’t for his end product in an attacking sense because he has no defensive awareness whatsoever and does not appear interested in defending. Seems quite arrogant in that manner.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
He doesn’t help out enough at the back to play midfield. He should play RW at this point
His defending reminds me of Evra in his latter years, constantly caught out of position and when he is the one tracking back always seemed to switch off to allow a cross in

He's got loads of quality on the ball, and he can be the CM they are looking for. Fabinho can slot behind him to do the dirty work

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Best passer in the league according to Merson!

Classic dreadful defending for both goals.
The second one has no thought power. Is covering in the centre, sees his mate jockying Martinelli, yet sprints over, past the ball, and leaves a massive hole. Terrible.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
That second goal - you’d be disappointed if your 8 year old did that. He literally charges at the ball for no reason. It’s proper crazy.
You must admin though, it was absolutely hilarious. It was like watching a comedy sketch of a football game.

Red00012

Sky studio totally ignoring the fact Trent has been destroyed 1st half and has been substituted because of the knock :lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Much like van Dijk, the curtain has been properly pulled back. Nobody is scared of Liverpool any more and players are really going at their defence now.

crossy1686

career ending
Best passer in the league according to Merson!

Classic dreadful defending for both goals.
The second one has no thought power. Is covering in the centre, sees his mate jockying Martinelli, yet sprints over, past the ball, and leaves a massive hole. Terrible.
I just don't see it to be honest. He's a severely one dimensional player who's being compared to the absolute elites because he and Liverpool had a collective brilliant 18 months. Imagine how many assists Rory Delap would have got if he played in the current City team?

I remember when he was getting shit for just lumping the ball forward and Liverpool insisted he was integral to the way they wanted to play and it wasn't about him finding a man, it was about the defence panicking and Liverpool winning the second ball high up instead. Their PR machine makes North Korea blush.

Robbie Boy

It's even funnier how shite he is these days because he comes across as a monumental prick.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
This was fairly informative:

Explained

The biggest thing for me is their pressing from the front was the best in the league last year, now it’s mid-table. And Salah is pressing literally half as often as he did at his peak. TAA always defended these situations poorly but Liverpool were really good at preventing these situations from arising; they suffocated the opposition and gave them no option to play through the press and get their players in space in the middle third. Henderson was really good at covering for him on the few occasions it did happen, but he’s fading away now too. That said, TAA has responded to it in the completely the wrong way; rather than sharpening up because he’s more exposed and more is required of him defensively, he’s just decided to reject that extra responsibility and say “if you’re gonna keep letting them run at me this is just what’s going to happen, sort it out lads, I’m busy thinking about my next free kick”.

crossy1686

career ending
That second goal - you’d be disappointed if your 8 year old did that. He literally charges at the ball for no reason. It’s proper crazy.
It's like he watched Neville hammer him on MNF and completely misunderstood what he meant when he said he should be closing down with more intensity.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I just don't see it to be honest. He's a severely one dimensional player who's being compared to the absolute elites because he and Liverpool had a collective brilliant 18 months. Imagine how many assists Rory Delap would have got if he played in the current City team?

I remember when he was getting shit for just lumping the ball forward and Liverpool insisted he was integral to the way they wanted to play and it wasn't about him finding a man, it was about the defence panicking and Liverpool winning the second ball high up instead. Their PR machine makes North Korea blush.
The spin is that he's got Beckham esque delivery.
I think the truth is more that he's got acres of space all game and just pumps a hell of a lot of stock balls in so some are going to be on the money.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
The spin is that he's got Beckham esque delivery.
I think the truth is more that he's got acres of space all game and just pumps a hell of a lot of stock balls in so some are going to be on the money.
Thing is, his revered delivery isn’t much better or worse than James. Sure he can take a free kick, but since it’s like a 6% chance to score from a free kick on average it seems pretty pointless to bring someone just for that. Especially if they score 2 goals down your side, you’ll need to score 3 to show any real value.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
When’s he gonna join Dele Alli in Turkey?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Needs moving into midfield, shocking awareness at the back
I see this said often but I don't think it's a simple matter of "he can't defend so he needs to play higher up." At any level in football, space is harder to find the further up the field you play. People might say oh but he plays high up the pitch as a right back anyway but he's coming into those spaces from deep and also the opposition defenders are busy marking the likes of Salah and Jota when he does that so it might take some doing, him playing further up the field.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't think that goal was his fault. He was marking two players.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I see this said often but I don't think it's a simple matter of "he can't defend so he needs to play higher up." At any level in football, space is harder to find the further up the field you play. People might say oh but he plays high up the pitch as a right back anyway but he's coming into those spaces from deep and also the opposition defenders are busy marking the likes of Salah and Jota when he does that so it might take some doing, him playing further up the field.
Yep, he can't play in the centre mid 2 or 3, and you just can't see him as the attacking right sided option, he's simply not that sort of threat, bar the crosses.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't think that goal was his fault. He was marking two players.
The second goal?

He left the centre totally exposed sprinting out like a headless chicken, actually running past the ball, leaving a massive hole in the middle

Status
Not open for further replies.