Television True Detective | Season 2 Spoilers

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Anyway, what the feck was that woman in the milk bowl all about? Was that a hallucination or what? Was I hallucinating (seeing as nobody else has mentioned it)?
I wondered the same thing. I think it was some kind of hologram art because he asks the other cop if he sees it and he can. I'm going to have to go back and check it.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Anyway, what the feck was that woman in the milk bowl all about? Was that a hallucination or what? Was I hallucinating (seeing as nobody else has mentioned it)?
It wasn't an actual woman though was it? Just a miniature statue. They also showed a massive dick made of wood later in that scene. I thought that was just showing how this Caspere fella was weird as feck. Which is why the other detective says "Burn my shit when I die" or something like that.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
It wasn't an actual woman though was it? Just a miniature statue. They also showed a massive dick made of wood later in that scene. I thought that was just showing how this Caspere fella was weird as feck. Which is why the other detective says "Burn my shit when I die" or something like that.
It looked like a live woman swimming in a bowl of milk to me (and Archie by the looks of it).

Edit: Found it here (Peter Sarkisian: White Water, 1999)

Yeah, Archie was right then. Holographic art.

Last edited:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Mine too, but on second viewing I think she implies fantasy rape. It follows on from the discussion Farrell has with his lawyer as well, if it's anal, why give the scene so much prominence. If it's the latter, it hints at something to come between two of the main characters.
I think she likes guys painting their ears green imo.

stu_1992

I thought it was good, nothing special, but it really only served to set up the main 4 characters a bit. Objective achieved in that sense I guess, but it won't win new viewers. I guess they are just banking on people having faith in the show and staying the course.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I thought it was excellent and I preferred it to the first episode on the last series. Whether it will get to the heights of the previous series remains to be seen. Farrell beating Ass-pen's dad was ace.

Last edited:

Cina

I thought it was excellent and I preferred it to the first episode on the last series. Whether it will get to the heights of the previous series remains to be seen. Farrell beating Ass-pen's dad was ace.
Ah come on, the first episode in the last series was basically as good as a pilot episode can get.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Ah come on, the first episode in the last series was basically as good as a pilot episode can get.
Took me until the second to really get into it on the first series. Thought it was good but wasn't hooked. I already am with this one.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
It went (slightly) over the top to create the dark/onerous atmosphere. The characters are quite fictitious/stereotypical. They are trying too hard to recreate the first season. Still it’s a good start; I just hope that they were brave enough to create something new. Just emulating season #1 won´t work.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The sidekicks are a bit annoying. The 'yes I am a sleezeball detective, how did you guess?' old guy with Farrell. The blatantly incompetent assistant for Vaughn and their interactions.

Hopefully Rachel McAdams character will evolve to help Farrell carry the show, like Woody's did in season 1.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Rachel McAdams is intriguing. I wasn't entirely convinced she's strong enough to carry a role in a show like this, but I thought she came out of the first episode quite well. Colin Farrell is obviously made for this (even if some of his lines were, well...), and I have no doubts about Vince Vaughn. The rest of the cast I'm not too familiar with, but I think this has potential.

Have no hopes of it holding a candle to the first season, which felt like one of those rare, cosmic occurrences where good things just come together (in particular Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey) to form something unexpectedly awesome. Even if the plot infuriated me at the end, it was still a piece of television history.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yep. Arguably the best first episode of any show I've ever seen.
I think that's why I enjoyed season one so much - the first two or three episodes were fantastic and instantly entice, as opposed to the slow burners that mostly ever other show has.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Half-way through the first episode and I think it looks decent. As many others have pointed out, if you'd watched this without any knowledge of season one it would be getting much less conflicted reviews. It's stylish, intriguing, has a great cast and a really gripping and claustrophobic atmosphere. What's quite cool is that all of the above applies to the first season but this somehow ticks all those boxes whilst also being completely different.

Special mention to the background noises (sound design?) there are all these really low, synthy rumbles through most of the scenes that almost imperceptibly racks up the tension and helps create that recognisable True Detective vibe in every scene. Good stuff.

Last edited:

diarm

I liked it. I thought after the surprise of the first 10 seconds, the theme song was great. Really different and intriguing. Farrell is great and Vaughn was better than I was expecting. I love his missus, your one from the RDJnr Sherlock Holmes and I think she's going to be great in it.

Wasn't too impressed with McAdams and the whole father/sister baggage arc, so hopefully that improves and the motorbike fella was a bit meh. Hope we see more of that drugged up actress though!

Some of the dialogue was cringey (what Colin Farrell said to the kid after he beat up his dad was pretty bad) but jesus, "Never do anything because you are hungry. Not even eat" was hilariously ridiculous.
The second he said that, a light bulb went off in my head. It was too weird a sentence to be nothing:

I reckon it was a pointed remark at his red haired assistant who possibly used to be fat and needs to watch his weight. I reckon he raped Farrell's wife on Vaughn's orders years ago, so they could give Farrell fake info and get a hold over him and turn him dirty.

All in all, there was more good than bad for me. The worst part of the whole show was the NCIS/CSI style close ups in the final scene. No place for that bullshit in a True Detective show.

Jammydodger7

Why I'm interested, I don't know. I don't even watch the show.

But, on this forum, there are people saying "meh." While other forums are saying how great it is....

Are Farrell and Vaughan any good?
To be fair, "meh" on the caf is a pretty good rating!! Unsure of Vaughan yet as I dont think we say enough but going by the first episode Farrell is going to be great!

jem

Fraid not. It's this...

I can see why they've gone with it. It's evocative of the whole dark True Detective ambiance...But it's really drab. It doesn't help it's on the heels of something universally loved tbf.

It's not going to ruin the show though. I hated the last two 'Way Down in The Hole''s on The Wire.
I loved the Season 4 Down in The Hole. For me, it's the best of the lot, followed by Season 2 and Season 1. For some reason, I can't really remember the Season 3 one, while the last season's version was every bit the let-down that the season was in general.

Drifter

American
Good setup episode. Interested to find out how these three will work together.

MajorTom

Pretty good first episode, nothing amazing, nothing terrible. Certainly still has my interest, still got the dark, gritty, seedy vibe to it. Losing Rust was always going to take a great part of the intrigue away. Velcoro looks to be the character that will be the most interesting to follow. Liked the little bits of his story that we got.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Was bit of a weird episode. The case is starting to get interesting, especially with that ending, but all the side stuff with the main characters the writing is pretty bad. That scene with the guys ex wife was terrible. I'm also struggling to buy Vince Vaughn as a gangster, even more so now it looks like he has to abandon being the business man and get his hands dirty.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Was bit of a weird episode. The case is starting to get interesting, especially with that ending, but all the side stuff with the main characters the writing is pretty bad. That scene with the guys ex wife was terrible. I'm also struggling to buy Vince Vaughn as a gangster, even more so now it looks like he has to abandon being the business man and get his hands dirty.
I think Farrell would have been better suited for that role.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
A much better episode than the first and I wanted to give it 4 episodes before really drawing a conclusion as the first was obviously trying merely to set things up and nothing much else.

Still suffers from some really clunky dialogue particularly when dealing with Velcoro's family situation. Still the case is getting more interesting and we're establishing that this will be more about the procedural side of police work and dealing more with big city corruption.

Even the theme tune is growing on me as I think it does a decent job of capturing the overall air of sleaze and corruption that this seasons seems to be going for.

I'm also warming to Vince Vaughan as a gangster if only because I've been praying for years for him to stop playing himself in piss poor movies and actually get back to something approaching acting, so there is something to be said for having lowered expectations.

At least I'm looking forward to the next episode which isn't something I could really say after having watched the first.

Last edited:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Well that was a shocking ending to the episode. And I hope it doesn't mean an end to Farrell..

Colin Farrell was actually the most interesting character.
because of that mainly.

Agree with this too -

Abigail Spencer was particularly terrible.

Despite the average direction and cinematography and questionable writing and characters, I'm still beginning to get into it.
It's very watchable despite some cringey dialogue (the paper mache anecdote and the e-cig one were :rolleyes:) and heavy handed characterisation (Kitsch's repressed homosexual cop).

If this series is going to explore repressed sexuality then it doesn't look like it's gonna go for subtle.