Television True Detective | Season 2 Spoilers

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I'm assuming that the guy who
shot Farrell is the same guy who dumped the body in the 1st episode due to the raven/crow thing.

Also, you think the director has given us enough overhead shots of LA yet? I think he's going for early Michael Mann.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I'm assuming that the guy who
shot Farrell is the same guy who dumped the body in the 1st episode due to the raven/crow thing.

Also, you think the director has given us enough overhead shots of LA yet? I think he's going for early Michael Mann.
Exactly what I was thinking (re: M. Mann). Apparently LA is mostly just oil refineries...?

That crow guy has already used hydrochloric acid, so maybe he's not using conventional weapons? Mind you, a gutshot with rubber pellets point blank would still pack a punch...

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Exactly what I was thinking (re: M. Mann). Apparently LA is mostly just oil refineries...?

That crow guy has already used hydrochloric acid, so maybe he's not using conventional weapons? Mind you, a gutshot with rubber pellets point blank would still pack a punch...
Yeah I think people have called it right. They'd be splatter everywhere. Still shocked me though.

Last edited:

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
Think the aim of the crow/raven killer is that he punishes people who have vices. Casper liked to watch women have sex and got off on it so he took his eyes and cock prior to dumping the body. Ray has his issues - drug and alcohol abuse, violence - which will be interesting to see how he is punished for them.

Wrong or right, things really got kicked into gear.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Very nice second episode, but some of the writing is pretty shocking. The tried for "The dwarf lives until we find a cock merchant" (A+++) with "Just a little too close to sucking a robot's dick" but they ended up with "You want a good girl, but you need the bad pussy" (worst line in the history of HBO) instead. Fine lines!

It would have been one hell of a twist to finish off Colin Farrell at the end of the second episode, but it seems too far fetched. I think @Duffy is probably pretty spot on.

PvsNP

Very nice second episode, but some of the writing is pretty shocking. The tried for "The dwarf lives until we find a cock merchant" (A+++) with "Just a little too close to sucking a robot's dick" but they ended up with "You want a good girl, but you need the bad pussy" (worst line in the history of HBO) instead. Fine lines!

It would have been one hell of a twist to finish off Colin Farrell at the end of the second episode, but it seems too far fetched. I think @Duffy is probably pretty spot on.
Still doesn't beat "Never do anything when you're hungry, not even eating".

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I am afraid but Vince Vaughn is totally bombing in this for me. His opening monologue seemed like a parody of last season's true detective. The best scene in the whole episode was when Mcadams and Farrell drove together in that car for a bit of convo.

I do think people are being too early to write this off though or being overly harsh with this. I am gonna wait till episode 4-5 atleast

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Still doesn't beat "Never do anything when you're hungry, not even eating".
You're right, that one's certainly up there. I don't think the absurdity of it really hit me until I read out your post (in my head) a couple of times just now. It's absolutely fantastic, because the implication is that if you ever become hungry, you're done for. You'd think eating was a solution to it, but nope, that's off the table. The ship has sailed, and you're doomed to starve to death.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Most of the reviews I have read have been very down on it.
Oh I haven't read any personally. I can see why but it's hardly a major investment to watch 8 episodes so no harm in following this through, particularly as I don't expect anything near to the quality of the first 5 from season 1.

Stringer

Have to say that the intro credits are stunning. Possibly the best I have seen on television. The song is growing on me as well.

Ekeke

Weird so far. Basically established that everyone's life is shit and that was all till the last few mins

Were we supposed to care about what happened?

Cina

it's a bit all over the place, but still very enjoyable. Great/Shocking ending too.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
The theme is growing on me but didn't like that episode. Thought the first one was better.

Leg-End

I think the ending lost some of its impact because we know too much from the trailers, or more like we've seen enough to know otherwise.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I think the ending lost some of its impact because we know too much from the trailers, or more like we've seen enough to know otherwise.
I hadn't seen any. Shocked me.

But you're right though, way too much saturation of trailers, photos, promo material etc... in todays digital media age.

Leg-End

I'm gonna spoiler spec post that episode.
Ofcourse it was still a shock, it's just you kinda know he's gonna be alright purely because a) you don't kill off the most interesting character in Episode 2 and b) it's Colin Farrell c) seen too much stuff in the trailers/promo's and set pics to know he's in scenes we haven't yet seen.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
You wouldn't shoot him in the stomach if you wanted to kill him. And he was lying there for a good few seconds before the second shot yet there was no puddle of blood, it's likely to be rubber bullets.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Thought it was a fairly bland episode. Only Farrell’s character has really managed to interest me so far. I didn’t mind him last week, but I feel like Vaughn in particular just hasn’t been that great. He’s sort of a gangster, who sort of doesn’t want to be a gangster, but will probably still end up being one anyway. His monologue at the start sort of bored me a little bit.

Kitsch is also fairly bland: he’s got this hint of having deep, underlying issues, but I’m struggling to care as to what they are. He’s just generally always looking very moody and sullen. In fact, everyone is.

I wouldn’t mind the main characters not being incredibly captivating if we were getting a slightly more colourful, interesting bunch of side characters, since this seems to be exploring the crime of LA on a wider scale than the case in Season 1, which was more confined, but they’re all fairly boring.

I was sort of intrigued by the first episode, despite its flaws, but just found this one a bit boring.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I feel like Vaughn in particular just hasn’t been that great. He’s sort of a gangster, who sort of doesn’t want to be a gangster, but will probably still end up being one anyway. His monologue at the start sort of bored me a little bit.
Yeah and of all of them he's had some real humdingers in the script to, although "sucking on a robots dick" is up there now.
I reckon it might turn out that it was his guys who raped Farrells wife and he set the whole thing up just to get a cop on the pay roll. Or is that too obvious?

Kitsch is also fairly bland: he’s got this hint of having deep, underlying issues, but I’m struggling to care as to what they are. He’s just generally always looking very moody and sullen.
I think his 'underlying issues' are way too unsubltly put across personally and I think the cracks are starting to show this season.

Despite all that I still wouldn't say I found it that boring. It's certainly slow paced but then so was the first series. Added to which I'm quite into pulpy noir anyway so I find this easy viewing of an evening.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Yeah and of all of them he's had some real humdingers in the script to, although "sucking on a robots dick" is up there now.
I reckon it might turn out that it was his guys who raped Farrells wife and he set the whole thing up just to get a cop on the pay roll. Or is that too obvious?

I think his 'underlying issues' are way too unsubltly put across personally and I think the cracks are starting to show this season.

Despite all that I still wouldn't say I found it that boring. It's certainly slow paced but then so was the first series. Added to which I'm quite into pulpy noir anyway so I find this easy viewing of an evening.
I wouldn’t be surprised by that. The dynamic between Farrell’s character and Vaughn’s is probably the only one that’s managed to be mildly interesting thus far, so I’m expecting there’ll be some revelations under the surface which build upon that.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Don't mean to drag this thread backwards but I'm currently on S1 Ep2 and o my lawdy lawd, those tiddies!!!

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
For me as a non-native speaker it's more difficult to follow than the first one which surprised me. So far I haven't got a clue what's going on.
I'll actually call it a big, big disappointment thus far and can't see it becoming a good season.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
For me as a non-native speaker it's more difficult to follow than the first one which surprised me. So far I haven't got a clue what's going on.
I'll actually call it a big, big disappointment thus far and can't see it becoming a good season.
Yeah unless it works on a reverse curve to how last season went I can't either.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah, I'm going to agree with the general consensus that the second episode made me less, rather than more, confident it's going to be a good series. Some of the dialogue was just terrible. That e-cig stuff and the police chief guy riffing on about his kid and really random hippy shite was kind of painful to watch. On the plus side, the monologue by Vince Vaughan about being locked in his basement was kind of chilling.

Dialogue aside, the police procedural stuff leaves me a little cold. Which is odd, considering it was such a big element of season one but that all ended up being such a muddled mess I'm struggling to stay engaged with the finer points of the investigation this time round.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I'm mostly enjoying it, despite the obvious flaws. It's a modern day Ellroy LA story, even down to the four conflicting protagonists. Kitsch is by far the worst of the four, who I just can't get involved in in any of his scenes. Vaughan is growing on me, and Farrell and McAdams' characters have been interesting and well acted throughout, if not stereotypes we've all seen before. Farrell going at this point would be terrible, as he's the only character who seems to have any chemistry with the rest of the cast - how much more boring would the episode have been if Kitsch was the one doing detective work with McAdams? Ugh.

Assuming the story becomes/ stays interesting, I think there's enough behind the rest of the show that it'll be a success. I wonder if they'll try to top the two 'action scenes' of the first season as well, and give us anything comparable to Cohle in the projects.

Unlikely lad

I wonder if they'll try to top the two 'action scenes' of the first season as well, and give us anything comparable to Cohle in the projects.
They will try, and everyone will compare it to the long take in season 1 and say that the new one sucks balls, no matter what.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
There's no one in this season that can come close to Matthew McConaughey in terms of acting. Woody is better than anyone in the cast as well. They'll have to try to do something to make up for that. I'm guessing violence and sex.

I love the concept for the show so hopefully if this season is a bust they can do something better next season. Maybe go to West Baltimore and look at drug gangs. :wenger:

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Acting is fine in it. It's a pulp anthology series so it's completely different. Everyone needs to stop comparing it to the previous one. The first took a few eps to really get going.

Stringer

Acting is fine in it. It's a pulp anthology series so it's completely different. Everyone needs to stop comparing it to the previous one. The first took a few eps to really get going.
I thought the first five of season one were a comfortably higher standard than the three that followed where were honestly rather mediocre.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Even without the comparisons though, I still don’t think it’s been particularly great so far. The acting hasn’t been particularly bad as such (bar maybe Kitsch), but I just don’t think it’s all that intriguing. The case itself isn’t really anything special. That’s okay – the 1st seasons wasn’t either, but the characters were superb. This season doesn’t really have that going for it though, and nothing is managing to really carry the show or make it particularly excellent.