Television True Detective | Season 2 Spoilers

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I realize it's a TV show, but the shootout was pretty irritating because none of them tried to radio for backup or used their radios at all. They also didn't bother trying to help their colleagues (who conveniently all got shot in the head).

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Feels too much like Sons of Anarchy and not enough like True Detective.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
True. I know the writer didn’t want to follow the sort of formula he went with in Season 1
He probably didn't but we've ended up in the same place. Another shootout at a meth lab. Another religious ****. Political corruption. Detectives getting investigated. Ridiculous overdone dialogue that this season's actors can't always pull off. Indie music. Troubled people. Troubled marriages. And just like Reggie LeDoux got killed, so did pawn shop meth lab guy.

I was literally laughing during the shootout scene. Lazy cop says "I think this is a bad idea" and it turns out to be a bad idea and he gets wasted in the middle of the street. Every cop who is not starring in the show is killed. PLUS a busload of innocent Los Angelenos AND a group of protestors who just happen to be picketing televisions least creadible crime lord Vince Vaughn's corrupt land deal. They should have just blown up a dog shelter with a rocket launcher.

Taylor Kitsch's character is so overdone. Tears? Can't look anybody in the face? Can't complete a sentence? It's a contest to figure out which detective is the most tortured, who is the most hardcore, who has seen the most horrible stuff that can't be unseen. I have PTSD. I was raised by a hippie ****. My wife was raped and I am raising the red-haired cuckoo's egg who doesn't even love me.

The writer is way too full of himself and the intro song sucks.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He probably didn't but we've ended up in the same place. Another shootout at a meth lab. Another religious ****. Political corruption. Detectives getting investigated. Ridiculous overdone dialogue that this season's actors can't always pull off. Indie music. Troubled people. Troubled marriages. And just like Reggie LeDoux got killed, so did pawn shop meth lab guy.

I was literally laughing during the shootout scene. Lazy cop says "I think this is a bad idea" and it turns out to be a bad idea and he gets wasted in the middle of the street. Every cop who is not starring in the show is killed. PLUS a busload of innocent Los Angelenos AND a group of protestors who just happen to be picketing televisions least creadible crime lord Vince Vaughn's corrupt land deal. They should have just blown up a dog shelter with a rocket launcher.

Taylor Kitsch's character is so overdone. Tears? Can't look anybody in the face? Can't complete a sentence? It's a contest to figure out which detective is the most tortured, who is the most hardcore, who has seen the most horrible stuff that can't be unseen. I have PTSD. I was raised by a hippie ****. My wife was raped and I am raising the red-haired cuckoo's egg who doesn't even love me.

The writer is way too full of himself and the intro song sucks
I can only agree with that, it's too much negativity from the main characters.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It's pretty bad isn't it. I'll keep watching it but its never going to be anything close to the first series. So many gripes but I don't want to do a noodlehair.

Drifter

American
Gripping shootout .But where is the plot . Hopefully it will unfold in the next few episodes.

Leg-End

The shootout although it was full of fairly dumb cliche stuff it was tense, a nod to Michael Mann style so I'll give it that. Also for once it was nice to see characters visibly fecked up by what they just witnessed rather than walking away like badasses. The rent-a-cop extras getting mowed down, the dumb civilians that stand and stare at killers with machine guns and the lack of any sort of communication whilst having a shootout in a crossfire situation was really silly though.

As for the core of the show its all over the place really, there isn't any real coherent plot, there isn't a single thread of normality to any of these characters. Just not feeling Vaughn's acting/character now, some of the shit he's been given to work with is tough enough but you don't know how your meant to feel about his character because he's playing it all the same way, even during the lighter moments he's dull and that almost feels like a choice he's made to move away from his usual type of role where as it could have done with some of it. Even Tony Soprano fecking smiled, you don't have to stoney faced all the time to be a badass character.

Also I still have no idea when it comes to characters names.

cyberman

I literally have no idea what the plot is supposed to be.
Vaughan is terrible. I once saw an interview with Denzel Washington explaining why a killer who walks up and acts like your friend, like he hasn't a care is more psychologically disturbing than the obvious killer who tries too hard, more or less the obvious. It's the layers that sets them apart. Makes them memorable.
Vince should learn that. Standing around expressionless like he's troubled but barely keeping it together is cliche, show something more than idle curiosity.
Oh you're not drinking? I like it better when I'm talking to you and your head isn't nodding.( however the feck he said it)
Never do anything out of hunger etc..
If it's me and I've read the script and I can see that Its terrible, I'm gonna go out there and act my ass off. Own the scene. Salvage something.
Nobody would blame him for it

Leg-End

What on earth was up with that teeth/cavity scene dialogue too, just so fecking random.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
This is the show's biggest problem. You know it's average/crap when four episodes in you can only think of one or two of the characters' names. That's the most basic fecking aspect of a TV show. Christ, even with Game of Thrones, which is produced on an epic scale in terms of cast, you know all the names of the main characters, and you don't even struggle to fecking remember them. It comes natural. As I write this the only name I can think of is Frank, Vaughn's character, and I suspect that's because he's the most poorly acted character on television. A cross between Humphrey Bogart and any character from Sin City, as played by someone who can't act.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
It's a crazy term to me too, but if it was to be widely used, then Vince Vaughan's form would be comparable to that of Antonio Valencia.
I saw this movie poster the other day and it genuinely ruined my day.

I was thinking about how an actor's form can make or break a TV show -- and feck, the first page makes interesting reading. The two leads last time round were both making the best stuff of the careers. This time it's really quite the opposite and only Farrell (McAdams to a lesser extent) is really impressing me. Vaughn is unwatchable.

Americano

I literally have no idea what the plot is supposed to be.
Vaughan is terrible. I once saw an interview with Denzel Washington explaining why a killer who walks up and acts like your friend, like he hasn't a care is more psychologically disturbing than the obvious killer who tries too hard, more or less the obvious. It's the layers that sets them apart. Makes them memorable.
Vince should learn that. Standing around expressionless like he's troubled but barely keeping it together is cliche, show something more than idle curiosity.
Oh you're not drinking? I like it better when I'm talking to you and your head isn't nodding.( however the feck he said it)
Never do anything out of hunger etc..
If it's me and I've read the script and I can see that Its terrible, I'm gonna go out there and act my ass off. Own the scene. Salvage something.
Nobody would blame him for it
Vince is terrible.

But what can you do with that dialogue? So many of the lines are just completely forced and unlike the way most humans express themselves. I could see one or two "out there" deep characters who speak in riddles, but when every single member of the cast is spewing psychobabble the problem is with the writer. They live in a beautiful sunny city where Steven Gerrard plays soccer and nobody can crack a smile or a joke. Even the rich mayor is super messed up and can barely get through the day.

My working theory is that Ben Caspere was killed because his outlook on life was too positive and he had a normal childhood.

kouroux

The shootout although it was full of fairly dumb cliche stuff it was tense, a nod to Michael Mann style so I'll give it that. Also for once it was nice to see characters visibly fecked up by what they just witnessed rather than walking away like badasses. The rent-a-cop extras getting mowed down, the dumb civilians that stand and stare at killers with machine guns and the lack of any sort of communication whilst having a shootout in a crossfire situation was really silly though.

As for the core of the show its all over the place really, there isn't any real coherent plot, there isn't a single thread of normality to any of these characters. Just not feeling Vaughn's acting/character now, some of the shit he's been given to work with is tough enough but you don't know how your meant to feel about his character because he's playing it all the same way, even during the lighter moments he's dull and that almost feels like a choice he's made to move away from his usual type of role where as it could have done with some of it. Even Tony Soprano fecking smiled, you don't have to stoney faced all the time to be a badass character.

Colin and Rachel looked shocked but Taylor was cool as cucumber. I find this series so weird that I can't even type the characters' names.

kouroux

Vince is terrible.

But what can you do with that dialogue? So many of the lines are just completely forced and unlike the way most humans express themselves. I could see one or two "out there" deep characters who speak in riddles, but when every single member of the cast is spewing psychobabble the problem is with the writer. They live in a beautiful sunny city where Steven Gerrard plays soccer and nobody can crack a smile or a joke. Even the rich mayor is super messed up and can barely get through the day.

My working theory is that Ben Caspere was killed because his outlook on life was too positive and he had a normal childhood.
:lol:

Americano

I can only agree with that, it's too much negativity from the main characters.
We finally agree on something :)

I just keep wishing Steven Gerrard would make a cameo on the show as himself, LA Superstar. It would be so gloriously bizarre. Maybe he could be studying spirituality at the Panticapaeum Institute or getting plastic surgery at Rick Astley's clinic. He would even make a great detective since he is a tortured soul who can't ever live down the slip.

Leg-End

Colin and Rachel looked shocked but Taylor was cool as cucumber. I find this series so weird that I can't even type the characters' names.
He's a war veteran though so I guess he would/could react differently, the implication has always been that he's seen some shit.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Still not convinced by McAdams (aside from how she looks in tight jeans). Like Vaughn, some of her lines feel forced and come out awkward.

Farrel isn't going to be enough to carry this season without a "Woody" as a #2, who I think was great in season 1.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Is this series just going to be 8 episodes like the last one?

Aside from the shootout, and a couple of seriously fecked up lines from Colin Farrell, this series has been awful.

Also.

My first thought was anal.
Mine too, but on second viewing I think she implies fantasy rape
Yeah you might be right although I've got no faith in this guy setting up anything for later after what happened with the first season.
You were right to have no faith at all, as it turns out she just gave him a blow job. Hence his "you really do suck em and leave em" line in this episode.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Was that this episode? I thought it was the last one.

Anyway I've discovered the best way to watch this is high. You can visibly see the cracks appear in the acting. Colin Farrells ludicrously gruff accent and wondering eyes had me in stitches last night.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
You were right to have no faith at all, as it turns out she just gave him a blow job. Hence his "you really do suck em and leave em" line in this episode.
The entire series is just a fecking mess. Would have to be the strongest second half to a season ever for it to be redeemed -- essentially the exact opposite of last year when the show underwhelmed towards the end.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Was that this episode? I thought it was the last one.

Anyway I've discovered the best way to watch this is high. You can visibly see the cracks appear in the acting. Colin Farrells ludicrously gruff accent and wondering eyes had me in stitches last night.
Both seasons are good high. With last season I could actually understand what MM was going on about with his metaphysical rants...

NoLogo

Well I'm done with this season. What a fecking car wreck.

I think I have seldom watched a show that made me care less about any of it's characters than this season of True Detective. I mean ffs I was hoping throughout the entire, completely over the top, shoutout that some may kill Kitsch and Farrell's characters.

And what the feck was that shootout? How many people fecking died in those 15 minutes? Can't be much less than in a Rambo movie. I mean what the actual feck were they thinking when they wrote this season, were they all high on cocaine the entire time? God damn it how did they feck this up so bad after the brilliant first season?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I've watched 4 episodes and really have no fecking idea what's going on really :lol:

Everything just seems so random and not of the plot has actually gone anywhere.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
I keep hoping for it to get better with every episode gone by but it never does. Still gonna stick with it although plotwise I'm not sure what's even going on or what even the endgame is.

diarm

I quite liked the first two episodes (and I fecking love the theme song) but the last two have been a let down for me.

I was expecting this episode to really step it up after episode 4 last year and one of the single greatest scenes I've ever seen on television. But while at least something happened in the shootout, it was all a bit meh. Agree with those who've complained about the character development - I really couldn't give a shit about any of them.

I'm glad that drunk cop got shot in the head as well. I kept thinking he was the psycho on the lawnmower from season 1.

Leg-End

The main problem appears to be Pizzolatto, seems like the guy started to believe his own hype from Season 1 which in hindsight was carried even more so by the director/actors than first thought. Looking back some of the dialogue on paper from Season 1 wouldn't seem half as smart coming out of Vince Vaughn's mouth instead of MM. Can you imagine Kitsch trying to pull off a rambling dialogue about smelling a psychosphere?

Actually that's what this series lacks, a Marty character to point out what we are all thinking. Where is the character that does this when someone says something ludicrous like "never do anything out of hunger, not even eating".

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
The main problem appears to be Pizzolatto, seems like the guy started to believe his own hype from Season 1 which in hindsight was carried even more so by the director/actors than first thought. Looking back some of the dialogue on paper from Season 1 wouldn't seem half as smart coming out of Vince Vaughn's mouth instead of MM. Can you imagine Kitsch trying to pull off a rambling dialogue about smelling a psychosphere?

Actually that's what this series lacks, a Marty character to point out what we are all thinking. Where is the character that does this when someone says something ludicrous like "never do anything out of hunger, not even eating".

You're right, there's no character to represent the average viewer. Even if it was later revealed that Marty was fecked up in his own way.