Television True Detective | Season 2 Spoilers

Lastwolf

I heard from few people it's shit. Is it true?
Still dont know why they took Vaughn. I mean he's for comedies with Jennifer Aniston and that sort of thing. Farrell isnt much better
Farrell was the best thing in this, honestly he was pretty great throughout.

I feel sorry for Vaughn, he wasn't very good but the story they gave him was utter shit.

chetan

Farrell was the only saving grace in the entire series. I am not able to understand why the writers tried to create emotional drama kind of a finale in a 8 episodes series. Its hard to get that connection with the characters to feel bad for them.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Not a popular opinion but I didn't think Vince Vaughn was bad. We laugh at some of the lines he said but that's the script, not him. He was also meant to be a bit of a weird gangster, they did everything they could to make you see him as a good guy so as a pure gangster like the Russians/Mexicans etc. he looked weak in comparison.
Yep, I think that's what quite a few people think. I mean even Vaughn can't turn shitty lines into something memorable.

Is it worth watching?
Definitely, there is no better way to waste some time of your life.

Farrell was the best thing in this, honestly he was pretty great throughout.

I feel sorry for Vaughn, he wasn't very good but the story they gave him was utter shit.
Hate to disagree. Farrell was pretty bad apart from a view takes.

I cant stand Farrell since that ridiculous move about Alexander the Great.
Yep, it wasn't only that. He might have been a promising actor at some point, but then it was like he forgot everyting about acting and how to choose a proper script. My personal theory was that he must be pretty dumb having accepted to play in that Alexander flick.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
I think my "meh" comment summed it up pretty well. I'm still pretty shocked at how underwhelming the whole series was. The end was awful. Extremely convoluted and a lot of the story was completely pointless, as were many of the characters. Lots of tenuous links and references yet nothing really tied together properly. All in all, a complete let down after the amazing first series, and an awful waste of talent. You can't blame the actors for having to work with such a dire plot and some truly ridiculous dialogue.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I thought Vaughn and Farrell were both excellent. Vince Vaughn gets a bad rap because of his below par comedy movies but I thought he was really good in this. So was Rachel McAdams, the dialogue was mediocore and the plot was dire and stale but the rour main characters raised it up to being very watchable. However it needed to be even more out there than the first series but it wasnt. Plus the lack of sex and nudity made it seem tamer.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Christ! You lot....

Well I liked it, thought it was good, didn't find it confusing, thought the performances were fine. VV was great imo. 8/10

Nowhere near as bad as you lot are making out. Anyone would think season 1 was perfect, it was better, but not by a great deal. Anyway, for anyone interested in watching it, do so... make your own mind up. Unless you tend to find yourself agreeing with these guys on most other things...

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I'll just say that for its many, many flaws, I was overall surprisingly entertained. That being said, I don't think there's been a bigger drop-off in quality in the history of television than the 1st and 2nd seasons of True Detective.

Leg-End

It depends what you consider "bad", on its own this season was alright, some really really bad dialogue but a decent 6 or 7 out of 10 in the end. Ending felt a bit hollow but there were some great moments, particularly Frank's end.

But when you consider Season 1 was fantastic, Season 2 is bad in comparison, a huge drop off in almost every area. It's not always a case of "everyone says its bad so I'll go along with that myself", this just was a really average season and you will read that from the critics, the fans and the new viewers. I'll remember Season 1 for many years, I doubt I will remember much from Season 2.

That difficult "2nd album", its tough to follow up something that was truly great, many have tried and failed but never mind. never mind, never mind.

afrocentricity

The episode ratings aren't bad. I'm sure this'll prompt some to start voting 0s and the numbers will go down over time, but it's not indicative of 'the worst show of all time'. Different people like different things but some are going over board here... but hey what's new?

afrocentricity

I'm not going overboard, I don't think I've ever seen a show with such consistently risible dialogue as this season.
Didn't say you were, I did say different people like different things tho... dialogue didn't bother me.

afrocentricity

The acting did not bother me at all, the story just was not that good. At the end of the day did any of us care if anyone got away with the murder or ripping VV off?
I did, but I guess I was more invested in the characters than you were. I just took the show for what it was. Entertaining police procedural...
That being said, I don't think there's been a bigger drop-off in quality in the history of television than the 1st and 2nd seasons of True Detective.
Heroes... off the top of my head

Last edited:

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
It depends what you consider "bad", on its own this season was alright, some really really bad dialogue but a decent 6 or 7 out of 10 in the end. Ending felt a bit hollow but there were some great moments, particularly Frank's end.

But when you consider Season 1 was fantastic, Season 2 is bad in comparison, a huge drop off in almost every area. It's not always a case of "everyone says its bad so I'll go along with that myself", this just was a really average season and you will read that from the critics, the fans and the new viewers. I'll remember Season 1 for many years, I doubt I will remember much from Season 2.

That difficult "2nd album", its tough to follow up something that was truly great, many have tried and failed but never mind. never mind, never mind.
In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, The Band, Led Zeppelin II, The Bends, Paul's Boutique, The Monitor...all better than Never Mind.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I dunno what the ratings are like but I can't see any clamour in the acting world to work on a 3rd season.

I mean what was the entire point of Taylor Kisch's character? You could have cut him from the story completely and lost nothing.

I think McAdams was the best thing in it but she was sidelined in the last episode except when it was convenient for her not to be.

I'm genuinely intrigued as to how some of the cast will look back on this when the dust has settled.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I thought Farrell was very good considering the dialogue he had to work with. VV got better as the show went on, McAdams was decent, the other guy was irritating but his last two appearances were decent. I think VV's character might have been bearable if it wasn't for his wife.

6/10 overall for the season, which isn't too bad but the first season was a solid 10/10 which is why this one feels crap.

Jam

That difficult "2nd album", its tough to follow up something that was truly great, many have tried and failed but never mind.
Why did you find the ending hollow?

'Nevermind' is Nirvana's second album... the other things he mentioned are all classic second albums.

Leg-End

I get it but it had no relevance to what I was actually saying.

Ray's whole ending arc was just summed up by incredibly dumb actions by his character, going to see his son a final time (yeah that seems like a good idea when I have a police manhunt on me and I have millions of dollars in a bag next to me), getting back in his car with a tracker on it (which was superglued to his chassis with industrial strength plot device glue), drives into the woods because nobody ever dies in the woods. The whole thing was almost stolen out of De Niro's character in Heat, difference was Ray risked it all just to see his son which is just silly.

The whole brother and sister plot all fizzled out into a pointless ending.

Jam

I get it but it had no relevance to what I was actually saying.
That's jokes for you.

Ray's whole ending arc was just summed up by incredibly dumb actions by his character, going to see his son a final time (yeah that seems like a good idea when I have a police manhunt on me and I have millions of dollars in a bag next to me), getting back in his car with a tracker on it (which was superglued to his chassis with industrial strength plot device glue), drives into the woods because nobody ever dies in the woods. The whole thing was almost stolen out of De Niro's character in Heat, difference was Ray risked it all just to see his son which is just silly.
His son his basically his whole life; can you blame him for wanting to see him one last time? He was hardly a stable individual but his life revolved around his son. Once he saw the tracker he realized it was all over for him because they found him and you can tell by his reaction that once he saw that he knows that he's done hence the phone calls to both his son and Ani. The reason he drove off into the woods was to get Burris and friends as far away from Ani and the boat as possible to save her and the evidence and after what happened in episode four there was no point driving to a public place that could lead to more civilian casualties.

A lot of people are complaining saying 'oh why didn't he just drive to the boat or drive to a public place' and the reason is that they're being chased by the corrupt police and a private security militia and that both Ray and Ani are wanted for murder; they can and will be gunned down. What makes it worse is that if they both did die the Lord knows what else would be pinned on them. Look at the bus station when Chief Holloway even said to him 'we don't need a reason to gun you down right here and now, you're a public enemy right now' (paraphrasing).

Similarly 'oh why did Frank start a fight with them over his suit?' Well Frank is a proud man sure and would rather die with his dignity but more importantly there's the small issue of $3.5million worth of diamonds in the suit pocket; his whole 'get out' plan rested on the diamonds in his pocket. If he gave them the suit then he'd be dead regardless.

afrocentricity

Yea that's how I saw it too, I think maybe if you don't follow or understand their characters then maybe their actions confuse you. It all made sense to me.

It's a shame because the moaning and slating (possibly from a vocal minority? And a bit of bandwagoning), could jeopardise a third season. What shows do we have that are (much) better right now? Let me kno...

Last edited:

Leg-End

It wasn't funny, jokes should be funny.

Yeah I've seen people moan about Frank not wanting to give up his suit, not sure how they could miss the diamonds in its pockets when they are stuck to his knife wound when he walks away.
Yea that's how I saw it too, I think maybe if you don't follow or understand their characters then maybe their actions confuse you. It all made sense to me.
Not everything is confusion, you keep towing this line that "oh you didn't like it, you didn't get it!". Sometimes dumb stuff is just dumb stuff. The plot was confusing until Episode's 6 and 7 which cleared things up and justified characters motivations. It's main issue was it moved a glacial pace, the plot wasn't very interesting, the characters weren't particularly likeable and the dialogue..... oh boy.

afrocentricity

Wrong side of the bed this morning?
You seem to be finding it hard to accept that other people may not have had the same experience as you... what can I say? We disagree.... c'est la vie

Leg-End

You seem to new finding it hard to accept that other people may not have had the same experience as you... what can I say? We disagree.... c'est la vie
Except I don't, If you enjoyed this season then great and its not like I didn't either. I don't accept that "you didn't get it" is a valid argument for defending some of the elements of this season.

afrocentricity

Hannibal.

Infinitely better.
Hannibal is a great show, no better no worse for me. Looking like we won't get to see another season... another shame...

Except I don't, If you enjoyed this season then great and its not like I didn't either. I don't accept that "you didn't get it" is a valid argument for defending some of the elements of this season.
The other guy explained the reasons why things played out the way they did in the finale, and thank god he did because he worded it better than I would have and I couldn't be arsed anyway. All I said is that I can see that people may be confused if they don't follow and understand the characters. If that translates to 'you didn't get it' in your mind I dunno what else to say. You yourself alluded to 'not getting it' anyway, gimme a break.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

It's a shame because the moaning and slating (possibly from a vocal minority? And a bit of bandwagoning), could jeopardise a third season. What shows do we have that are (much) better right now? Let me kno...
Moaning and slating from 'a vocal minority' (hehe, now that's funny) will have little sway on whether this gets a 3rd season or not. Ratings will be the ultimate decider.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Hannibal is a great show, no better no worse for me. Looking like we won't get to see another season... another shame...
I could argue about production quality, character depth and development and relationships and plot lines all day, but it's pointless.

I do however still think we may get another season of Hannibal. The reason they are stopping is because they feel they can't take the story any further because MGM own the rights to all the characters featured in The Silence of The Lambs and they won't sell or lend Hannibal's producers the rights. Instead MGM are thinking of making their own series based around that film. It's a crying shame, but there was an article recently that suggested things may change and also the sheer amount of fan pressure is starting to tell. Hannibal is extremely popular, so fingers crossed.

afrocentricity

Moaning and slating from 'a vocal minority' (hehe, now that's funny) will have little sway on whether this gets a 3rd season or not. Ratings will be the ultimate decider.
Yea I did say possibly. I've got nothing to go on, genuinely can't understand all the hate (disappointment? Yea I can dig that) so I'm just waiting for the dust to settle to get an idea of what everyone else thinks.

Sorry, I'm not takin caftards as representative. I've been in enough movie/TV threads to know that loads of people in here aren't happy unless they are having a good moan.

Leg-End

The other guy explained the reasons why things played out the way they did in the finale, and thank god he did because he worded it better than I would have and I couldn't be arsed anyway. All I said is that I can see that people may be confused if they don't follow and understand the characters. You yourself alluded to 'not getting it' anyway, gimme a break.
I also can't be arsed to keep talking about the same points, especially when a discussion is interpreted as someone being mad when its just a discussion.

I didn't hate it, it was a dissapointment. If they make a third season I'm still going to watch it.

afrocentricity

I could argue about production quality, character depth and development and relationships and plot lines all day, but it's pointless.
Yeah tbf my main barometer is entertainment... in that respect they are pretty much equal.
I do however still think we may get another season of Hannibal. The reason they are stopping is because they feel they can't take the story any further because MGM own the rights to all the characters featured in The Silence of The Lambs and they won't sell or lend Hannibal's producers the rights. Instead MGM are thinking of making their own series based around that film. It's a crying shame, but there was an article recently that suggested things may change and also the sheer amount of fan pressure is starting to tell. Hannibal is extremely popular, so fingers crossed.
Sounds promising, hope you're right....
I also can't be arsed to keep talking about the same points, especially when a discussion is interpreted as someone being mad when its just a discussion.

I didn't hate it, it was a dissapointment. If they make a third season I'm still going to watch it.
I just don't like people putting words in my mouth, you say you don't understand their actions, that's fair enough... I just said I did, but I could understand why others may not... you misinterpreted imo.

I understand where you personally are coming from (if not all of your points), I don't understand those who will not watch a season 3 if there is one, or just plain dont want one. Oh and the 'worst season ever' crowd.

Jam

That's not true at all; the reason they are stopping is that NBC wouldn't order another season due to dire ratings. Fuller knew from the start he didn't have the rights to the likes of Clarice Starling but he still had a plan laid out and he has said publicly that he'd work around not having the rights and make it work. I also believe it's Lifetime Network that currently own some of the rights attached to Silence of Lambs because they had (have?) a 'Clarice' show in the works based on the character outside of her connection to Hannibal.

Chances are Hannibal is dead right now. The cast has been released from their contracts and although most are actively wanting the show to continue it'll be difficult to arrange it again. The problem was that another network wouldn't pick it up so the best chance was on streaming services however I believe Netflix has some European streaming rights whereas Amazon Prime has NA streaming rights and because of that split (and Amazon stating they want 'original' programming instead of just 'revivals') they both declined the chance to produce the show. I really want Hannibal to continue but it is looking bleak.