Two american tourists jailed for 21 years in Italy after killing an undercover policeman

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
If 2 Italian kids had done that in America I expect they would (dependent on the state) face life in prison... execution... or the police would have killed them on the spot
I don’t buy that. The first and the third options though, yeah definitely.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
What’s weird is that the sting seems to be targetting the narcotics customers, rather than the dealers. Which seems like a complete waste of resources. Although it’s possible the scumbag/informant painted a different picture to try and convince the cops to help him get his bag back?
Maybe there was something in the deal for them too ? Why would they want to help a drug dealer ? Did they know who the tip was coming from ?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Maybe yes, he brought the knife with him from the US, he had it on him. He reportedly had mental and behavioural issues surrounding being attacked himself.
I just strapped on a blade during a trip to the store this morning. My Southern-ness being attacked spurred me to do so.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Hard not to be a cynic. Mental issue is often used as a defence for everything from drug abuse to terrorism.
Yup, just watch out for over the topness. :)

I just strapped on a blade during a trip to the store this morning. My Southern-ness being attacked spurred me to do so.
Illegal in different parts of America? Illegal with max 4 year sentence in UK I think, depends on what the knife is in Italy, varies.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )

Illegal in different parts of America? Illegal with max 4 year sentence in UK I think, depends on what the knife is in Italy, varies.
I think you're allowed one that's 5 inches or something.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

No clue.

I typically have a couple of cork screws in my bag. That’s my definition of being ‘blade strapped.’

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If 2 Italian kids had done that in America I expect they would (dependent on the state) face life in prison... execution... or the police would have killed them on the spot
If the kids are white and the cop is black, they'll probably get a burger king and a flight ticket to go home. I remember there being a case where a couple of Italian sailors shot and killed some port workers or other civilians in South Asia and they never faced any consequences as the government refused to extradite them. The Italians aren't some strictly law abiding side either.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal

This was how they were interrogated.
During the trial, Natale Hjorth, described his treatment after the arrest. “Once taken to the station, they handcuffed and blindfolded me. They told me, ‘you’re on borrowed time.’ After half an hour, an hour, they took the blindfold off and in front of me was Varriale, who asked me if I recognise him.”

He continued, “I was in a bad condition, tired, scared and I felt faint. One of the Carabinieri told me if I gave him the code for my phone they would take of the handcuffs. Then they took me to another room for interrogation.”

Carabinieri sources have alleged that he was blindfolded for only a few minutes and that during his interrogation, which was recorded, he wasn’t handcuffed. Pellegrino at the time said that he had blindfolded him to "calm him down".

A picture of Gabriel Natale Hjorth blindfolded and handcuffed in the police station was spread throught the world in 2019, to much outcry, and two years later Manganaro has been given a direct summons to trial by Roman prosecutors for his use of “measures not permitted by law.” Another Carabiniere, Silvio Pellegrino, is also being investigated for having allegedly taken the photo and shared it online.

After the photo surfaced online, Manganaro was moved to a non-operational department while he was being investigated. In February a Roman prosecutor recommended to a judge that the Carabiniere agent accused of blindfolding the teenager, Fabio Manganaro, face trial, according to judicial sources.
http://www.italianinsider.it/?q=node/9818

Foxbatt

If the kids are white and the cop is black, they'll probably get a burger king and a flight ticket to go home. I remember there being a case where a couple of Italian sailors shot and killed some port workers or other civilians in South Asia and they never faced any consequences as the government refused to extradite them. The Italians aren't some strictly law abiding side either.
That was in India.

It doesn't really matter if they were cops or not, the guy carried a knife from the US and didn't think twice about using it to stab somebody 11 times. There's only one intention there. He's a murderer and got the time he deserves.

I feel a little sorry for his friend being done for the same thing as an accomplice, and of course there will be inconsistencies in the police work. They are not always the most professional in Italy.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It doesn't really matter if they were cops or not, the guy carried a knife from the US and didn't think twice about using it to stab somebody 11 times. There's only one intention there. He's a murderer and got the time he deserves.

I feel a little sorry for his friend being done for the same thing as an accomplice, and of course there will be inconsistencies in the police work. They are not always the most professional in Italy.
it’s essentially the word of the one cop against the two kids. If the cops were dressed in civil clothes and failed to identify themselves, that becomes an issue as the kids claim self defense and although there will be punishment for that and for buying drugs, it won’t be life in prison.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
it’s essentially the word of the one cop against the two kids. If the cops were dressed in civil clothes and failed to identify themselves, that becomes an issue as the kids claim self defense and although there will be punishment for that and for buying drugs, it won’t be life in prison.
Im not sure walkig round with a big knife and stabbing somebody 11 times really strikes me as self defence to be honest

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Im not sure walkig round with a big knife and stabbing somebody 11 times really strikes me as self defence to be honest
These are 18 year olds, trying to meet a drug dealer in a dark alley to get their money back. If the cops charged and tackled them without identifying themselves, what else do you expect them to do?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
These are 18 year olds, trying to meet a drug dealer in a dark alley to get their money back. If the cops charged and tackled them without identifying themselves, what else do you expect them to do?
Not bring a knife to the country... not walk around with it... not rob drug dealers and not stabbing anybody 11 times - police or not

Just like when they get shanked in prison that wont be self defence either

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
lucky he wasnt arrested by americans then I guess

That bottom picture never ceases to amaze me.

The cat is apparently more focused on clipping his fingernails than with the hooded Iraqi prisoner having to stand in a crucifix pose with electrodes attached for his fingers.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Not bring a knife to the country... not walk around with it... not rob drug dealers and not stabbing anybody 11 times - police or not

Just like when they get shanked in prison that wont be self defence either
I’m not saying they are innocent but the cops clearly didn’t take them as a threat, they didn’t carry their service weapons, didn’t dress in police clothes and probably didn’t even have a police ID. If the kids were meeting a drug dealer, expecting to exchange a backpack and phone for their money, do they trust if the guy who happened to arrive there said he’s a cop and handover the bag?

There is a punishment for their stupidity but it’s probably not life in prison, which is tbe strictest sentence in Italy, that is imposed for premeditated murder.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I’m not saying they are innocent but the cops clearly didn’t take them as a threat, they didn’t carry their service weapons, didn’t dress in police clothes and probably didn’t even have a police ID. If the kids were meeting a drug dealer, expecting to exchange a backpack and phone for their money, do they trust if the guy who happened to arrive there said he’s a cop and handover the bag?

There is a punishment for their stupidity but it’s probably not life in prison, which is tbe strictest sentence in Italy, that is imposed for premeditated murder.
No but the punishment for stabbing an unarmed person 11 times is life in prison ... carrying a big knife around sounds pretty premeditated to me ... what were they planning to do with it if not stab somebody

picked up something off the ground in the heat of the moment slashed once with it and ran off would be very different to concealing a weapon and stabbing somebody 11 times... I mean 11 times.... what state do you think the cop was in after 2 or 3 stabs... 5 or 6 ... 8 or 9... 11 times... not surprised people felt it wasnt self defence

Stabbing them once or twice and legging it is self defence. Stabbing them 11 times is murder.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Stabbing them once or twice and legging it is self defence. Stabbing them 11 times is murder.
From the reports it says that the cop was on top of the kid and the kid freaked out thinking he was choking him to death, so he started stabbing until he felt the grip loosen. Apparently the kid is paranoid so carrying a knife albeit stupid is not out of character for him.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
No but the punishment for stabbing an unarmed person 11 times is life in prison ... carrying a big knife around sounds pretty premeditated to me ... what were they planning to do with it if not stab somebody

picked up something off the ground in the heat of the moment slashed once with it and ran off would be very different to concealing a weapon and stabbing somebody 11 times... I mean 11 times.... what state do you think the cop was in after 2 or 3 stabs... 5 or 6 ... 8 or 9... 11 times... not surprised people felt it wasnt self defence
I’m surprised the dealer who set the whole thing in motion got off free here. He tried to punk two kids, lost his backpack and went to his cop handler crying about it. He’s about as responsible as the kid who helped hide the weapon.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I’m surprised the dealer who set the whole thing in motion got off free here. He tried to punk two kids, lost his backpack and went to his cop handler crying about it. He’s about as responsible as the kid who helped hide the weapon.
I think witnessing a murder and hiding the murder weapon probably is slightly worse than the other chap who to the best of my understading

Defrauded the American tourists by not selling them drugs... yeah Im honesly not sure where the legalities of that are but he didnt sell them drugs so Id guess at worst theft of a few euros? and he also had his property stolen.

I mean in the grand scheme of things I think witnessing a murder of a cop (and not reporting it), and then hiding the weapon any lying about it sounds a little worse dont you think?

Last edited: