Two american tourists jailed for 21 years in Italy after killing an undercover policeman

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think witnessing a murder and hiding the murder weapon probably is slightly worse than the other chap who to the best of my understading

Defrauded the American tourists by not selling them drugs... yeah Im honesly not sure where the legalities of that are but he didnt sell them drugs so Id guess at worst theft of a few euros? and he also had his property stolen

I mean in the grand scheme of things I think witnessing a murder of a cop (and not reporting it), and then hiding the weapon any lying about it sounds a little worse dont you think?
If you want to write the causal chain of events, it starts with the dipshit drug dealer. Without him, the kids either don’t get fake drugs or they get drugs from elsewhere and the cops wouldn’t be going into a situation underprepared depending on what he told them.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’m surprised the dealer who set the whole thing in motion got off free here. He tried to punk two kids, lost his backpack and went to his cop handler crying about it. He’s about as responsible as the kid who helped hide the weapon.
The informant wasn’t the dealer. He put the kids in touch with the bloke that sold them aspirin. He was just a go-between in the fake drug deal. Which is a pretty trivial offence.

From the reports it says that the cop was on top of the kid and the kid freaked out thinking he was choking him to death, so he started stabbing until he felt the grip loosen. Apparently the kid is paranoid so carrying a knife albeit stupid is not out of character for him.
I wouldn't buy that any more than the jury did.

If somebody stabs you, you loosen your grip immediately. You don't wait for the eleventh go.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If you want to write the causal chain of events, it starts with the dipshit drug dealer. Without him, the kids either don’t get fake drugs or they get drugs from elsewhere and the cops wouldn’t be going into a situation underprepared depending on what he told them.
Humm lets go with if they dont take a combat knife with them on holiday they dont stab somebody ... 11 times

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The informant wasn’t the dealer. He put the kids in touch with the bloke that sold them aspirin. He was just a go-between in the fake drug deal. Which is a pretty trivial offence.
Makes sense and for all we know he solicited the kids in a club and planted the idea of doing coke.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
probably he secretly flew to america and planted the knife in their luggage as well right...
i mean if your gonna make shit up why not go the whole hog
I don’t know man, I find it hard to believe two scrawny high school kids from San Francisco committed premeditated murder in a foreign country.

I did backpacking at a similar age and understand how one sticks out like a sore thumb in a club in Europe.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So two undercover police officers with no gun, went a long way to setup a trap, just to retrieve a drug dealer's stollen bag?

Hmm..

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Stabbing someone 11 times in self defense. Seems a bit sus.
They come from a country where weekly we have cops claiming self defense as they empty a gun into an unarmed person, so not surprising.

mu4c_20le

They aren't going to walk free because they killed someone, unless somehow they can prove the policeman tried to kill them first. At best I can see the charge being downgraded to manslaughter if they can appeal successfully, but they would have to prove that the two cops did not identify themselves and just attacked them. Seeing as they ripped off the dealer earlier, they had every reason to believe there would be some retribution.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Makes sense and for all we know he solicited the kids in a club and planted the idea of doing coke.
That’s a hell of an assumption to make but even if that’s exactly what happened it wouldn’t put him anywhere near the same level of culpability as the kids who a) stole his belongings and b) stabbed to death the copper who tried to get them back.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I don’t know man, I find it hard to believe two scrawny high school kids from San Francisco committed premeditated murder in a foreign country.

I did backpacking at a similar age and understand how one sticks out like a sore thumb in a club in Europe.
When you did backpacking did you carry a 7 inch combat knife around with you... and then did you stick it in somebody 11 times

Im guessing not?...

But if you carry such a weapon and then use it and kill somebody - especially if you stick it in somebody 11 times - i mean its not like he threatened the guy with it... or warned him... or slashed once and ran away... he stuck it in him 11 times

How is than not premeditated murder?

I dont think that well your honour I thought I might stick out like a sore thumb when I was clubbing so figured the laws about carring knifes didnt apply to me and then you know when that police officer tried to arrest me i just paniced a bit and you know got a little bit sorta stabby you know about 11 times is actually a very good defence

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
When you did backpacking did you carry a 7 inch combat knife around with you... and then you had stuck it in somebody 11 times

Im guessing not?...

But if you carry such a weapon and then use it and kill somebody - especially if you stick it in somebody 11 times - i mean its not like he threatened the guy with it... or warned him... or slashed once and ran away... he stuck it in him 11 times

How is than not premeditated murder?

I dont think that well your honour I thought I might stick out like a sore thumb when I was clubbing so figured the laws about carring knifes didnt apply to me and then you know when that police officer tried to arrest me i just paniced a bit and you know got a little bit sorta stabby you know about 11 times is actually a very good defence
I don't think it was premeditated, at least not in the sense that they set out from America or their hotel to kill someone. Just bringing the knife with them does not make it premeditated. I do agree that 11 stabs seems sketchy in terms of self defense.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Is this seen in any as a backlash from the Knox case?

Are these two suffering from simply being other young Americans?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

Where you also frequenting the local drug scenes and stealing bags from dealers who stitched you, whilst carrying a combat knife for safety?

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I don't think it was premeditated, at least not in the sense that they set out from America or their hotel to kill someone. Just bringing the knife with them does not make it premeditated. I do agree that 11 stabs seems sketchy in terms of self defense.
Was he all drugged up when he did this ?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Where you also frequenting the local drug scenes and stealing bags from dealers who stitched you, whilst carrying a combat knife for safety?
Not but I was solicited every time I had to go use a restroom or take a smoke break with friends. Fortunately, I hung out with better groups I met at hostels. A young American tourist is like bbq chicken to every lowlife out there.

RedTiger

Half mast
Are these two suffering from simply being other young Americans?
Perhaps if these kids had been randomly pulled off the streets and charged with the crime, you could consider it sone sort of payback. Unfortunately these boys (or rather one boy) stabbed a police officer 11 times with a combat knife they'd bought over from the states.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Perhaps if these kids had been randomly pulled off the streets and charged with the crime, you could consider it sone sort of payback. Unfortunately these boys (or rather one boy) stabbed a police officer 11 times with a combat knife they'd bought over from the states.
Is the length of the sentence any backlash due to their being young Americans? Is there any sentiment that Knox got off easy & the punishment on these two is harsh or is this a standard punishment length for a crime of this nature?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
All tourists are bbq chicken in a foreign country. Don't self victimise yourselves, people who are strangers to a city will always be the first to get scammed.
Americans and brits make themselves less conspicuous due to the language and accents in my experience.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Most people get that and he definitely has to pay for what he did but does the punishment fit the crime ? He's a young boy with his whole life ahead of him. Not saying that he shouldn't be sent to prison but it's not like he it was a coldblooded attack. He was in a somewhat shady situation and being in a foreign country must have added to his panic. I'm sure if he knew that was a cop this whole thing would have played out quite differently. He shouldn't be stabbing anyone but he was obviously reacting to a situation and chose the wrong way out.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I can pick out every non-Italian visitor here, without hearing them say a word. I don't know what it is, they just stand out. I probably stand out too.
When I was traveling in Europe during college, I’d see some Spanish but they’d travel in mixed groups of guys and girls, same with South Americans but it’s kind of American and Brit thing to have more “guy trips” at that age. I don’t know about other countries but it’s also easy to solicit English speaking people as even the dealers and scammers can speak some broken English and try to communicate that way.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
It's a shitty situation all around and one that no one deserved to die. I feel more for the young woman who lost her husband.
The two Americans just fcuked their entire lives up over something stupid. File it under actions have consequences.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Most people get that and he definitely has to pay for what he did but does the punishment fit the crime ? He's a young boy with his whole life ahead of him. Not saying that he shouldn't be sent to prison but it's not like he it was a coldblooded attack. He was in a somewhat shady situation and being in a foreign country must have added to his panic. I'm sure if he knew that was a cop this whole thing would have played out quite differently. He shouldn't be stabbing anyone but he was obviously reacting to a situation and chose the wrong way out.
He's a young carabiner recently just got married... some thought for him?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I can pick out every non-Italian visitor here, without hearing them say a word. I don't know what it is, they just stand out. I probably stand out too.
Is it the lack of body hair and the fact they're over 5 feet tall?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
You must not've met the Dutch brand of loud tourists.
My experience is the Dutch hating the Brits for being assholes when they come to Amsterdam. I don’t know what the Dutch do when they travel though, my only experience is when I met Ajax fans when they played FC Copenhagen in the Europa league a few years ago. They weren’t as bad as the Atletico Madrid fans.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
He's a young carabiner recently just got married... some thought for him?
Who was accompanying a drug dealer that they stole from. They were in plain clothes and had no gun or badge. They said they identified themselves as cops but they could have very well been thugs who this drug dealer hired to hurt them. They attacked first. Do you think this kid knew he was attacking a police officer who just got married ? They thought they were fecked and reacted as such.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
My experience is the Dutch hating the Brits for being assholes when they come to Amsterdam. I don’t know what the Dutch do when they travel though, my only experience is when I met Ajax fans when they played FC Copenhagen in the Europa league a few years ago. They weren’t as bad as the Atletico Madrid fans.
They behave like the British tourists in Amsterdam. Drink a lot, loud, annoying, carrying around orange paraphernalia.

I think it's the destination that attracts a certain type of crowd more than anything. I'm sure British people going for a museum tour in Florence are a much different lot than the stoners vomiting in Dutch Airbnbs.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The 2 boys arent angels.

The brought a combat knife. They deal coccaine. They robbed the dealer. The even have the guts to meet him again. And fhey finally stabbed the guy 11 times.

The odds of all the above happening to a nice ordinary joes are 1 in a million.

Snorting drugs on holiday? Understandable
Bringing knifes on holiday? Er... hard to understand
Robbing a dealer? That's omar little shit
Actually getting away from it and decided to meet up again with the dealer they just robbed? That's ball of steels there.

Hard to find any defence whatsoever. We're all young and might did one point of the above in the name of stupid youth. But all of the above?