Tyler Blackett

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
After a two loan spells, he could have a slight chance of getting his foot in the door during this pre-season. We need cover for Shaw, if we don't sign someone, I really think van Gaal could see something in Blackett. Especially as he could easily fill in the middle or slide to the left if van Gaal changed from a 3 at the back to a 4 or the other way around.

Would be great to see a local lad breaking through.

Castia

I haven't seen much of him to be honest but If I remember rightly he did well on his last pre season tour. Maybe he will impress LvG, he likes giving younger players a chance.

LR7

I'm not overly keen on Blackett tbh but it'll be interesting to see how he does on the tour. I'd have preferred if we had taken James as cover for Shaw and Varela as cover for Rafael, rather than Blackett, but I won't write him off.

FromTheBench

Don't rate him honestly. He did well on tour of South Africa 2 years ago though IIRC.

Would be pretty surprised if he made it at United.

ottosec

One of the most surprising inclusions in the US squad, tbh. Hopefully he can impress LVG.

Santos J

Would be surprised if he makes it here tbh, don't really rate him.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
One of the most surprising inclusions in the US squad, tbh. Hopefully he can impress LVG.
Without doubt one of the positions Van Gaal will be looking at keenly. It fits the narrative in Van Gaal that he should take a youth player and have a good look at him before buying a backup to Shaw.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
I don't rate him, would be very surprised if he makes it here. He'll be a Championship player in the future I reckon.

Ekeke

I don't rate him either.

LVG has had a lot of success giving youth a chance, he's also had some players he liked that either took a long time or never did completely convince.

For example he promoted Valdes at Barcelona and it took a long time before he looked the part at Barcelona, but he did come good eventually.

We could see someone like Blackett get a long time to prove himself even if we don't rate him. Alternatively he may not get much of a chance. Who knows

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I'm not convinced by him. He didn't exactly set the Championship on fire during his loan spells.

m1y2

Looks like van Gaal needs to evaluate who will be better 3rd choice leftback or just cover for Shaw. Either him or Reece James. James is better, consistent, hardworking and can play CM, he has a better chance BUT I always thought Blackett has got a high potential it was two years ago but he didn't progressed as it was expected since that. I liked the fact that he is tall and quite good with the ball, athletic type as well. Could turn out to be a Smalling type of centreback or great wing back or even winger in later stages of his developement. He is certainly unfinished and could be van Gaals something, Alaba or anyone if he sees something in him. He is very lucky to have this chance to go on tour. His powershot freekick against Chealsea in FAYC comes to my mind everytime his name comes around.
0:48

khoazany

I don't rate him, would be very surprised if he makes it here. He'll be a Championship player in the future I reckon.
He was already a Championship player...

I don't really rate him but as I said in another thread,Birmingham's loan isn't exactly the best place to judge him.

He needs to sort out his concentration and positioning if he ever want to make it.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Great athlete, mediocre footballer. James is a much better prospect.

Conrad

I'm slightly surprised by the amount of negativity around him. Didn't have a great loan last season but I've always been impressed by his attacking play from left back. Probably won't make it, few do, but I rate him higher than Vermijl.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I'm slightly surprised by the amount of negativity around him. Didn't have a great loan last season but I've always been impressed by his attacking play from left back. Probably won't make it, few do, but I rate him higher than Vermijl.
Vermijl is probably off so that doesn't matter. I'm surprised Blackett is going to the US with James around, maybe Van Gaal thinks he can still develop as a footballer far more than he has currently shown.

Sid234

Blackett played a lot at CB last which I think for a while the club thought could be his future position due to his athleticism but I think some of his worst performances for B'ham was at CB rather than LB.. Maybe LvG see's something in him, or it might just that LvG wants to see if either James or Blackett are good enough to step up to the 1st team..

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
I don't know anything about his time with United, but following Blackpool I remember him doing well in his short stint for them before they're defence went to shit. He's spell at Birmingham however I'm lead to believe went differently.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Vermijl is probably off so that doesn't matter. I'm surprised Blackett is going to the US with James around, maybe van Gaal thinks he can still develop as a footballer far more than he has currently shown.
It is unlikely van Gaal knows much about Reece or Blackett so I don't think it is too surprising he has brought both. With Evra looking to leave we need back-up to Shaw. He'll be looking to see if either Blackett or Reece James can step up to the role or if he'll have to bring someone in on a transfer.

Personally I rate Reece James higher but we'll have to see what van Gaal thinks of them. Both different types of full-backs imo.

jb8521

Don't think its fair to call him a mediocre footballer at all he has plenty of ability its more his positioning and concentration that let him down and he has a bit of a tendency to be a bit too laid back

PS18

In terms of raw attributes I think he's got more going for him than James, he just hasn't pushed on at all in the last couple of years.

FromTheBench

It's like 2 years ago during the South Africa tour when Fabio had been loaned out, we took Brady and Blackett to try out at LB.

Brady was then sold off after the tour and Blackett went back to the U21's and we bought Buttner.

Dunno why people above are saying Van Gaal saw anything in him yet. Van Gaal has had half a day with them ? Doubt he saw anything much in any of them so far. This would be influenced by Giggs and probably Joyce.

In terms of raw attributes I think he's got more going for him than James, he just hasn't pushed on at all in the last couple of years.
James seems technically better than him and just more comfortable and composed in general. Blackett has the athletic ability and Size on him, but his positional sense is really bad at times and he just seems more technically limited and as a result Awkward and Ponderous in possession.

PS18

I like James but not as much as most I think - I see him as a solid all-rounder, a good pro who'll have a decent career but probably isn't good enough in any one area to be a top level player. Blackett's definitely got more weaknesses and is probably the lesser player right now but I've always felt if he could put it all together (and it's a big if, particularly now), he had/has a much higher ceiling.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It's like 2 years ago during the South Africa tour when Fabio had been loaned out, we took Brady and Blackett to try out at LB.

Brady was then sold off after the tour and Blackett went back to the U21's and we bought Buttner.

Dunno why people above are saying Van Gaal saw anything in him yet. Van Gaal has had half a day with them ? Doubt he saw anything much in any of them so far. This would be influenced by Giggs and probably Joyce.

James seems technically better than him and just more comfortable and composed in general. Blackett has the athletic ability and Size on him, but his positional sense is really bad at times and he just seems more technically limited and as a result Awkward and Ponderous in possession.
Stuivenberg and Bout have been overseeing training for the couple of weeks before LvG arrived. Won't be so sure that it was only Giggs's decision.

Sid234

Don't think its fair to call him a mediocre footballer at all he has plenty of ability its more his positioning and concentration that let him down and he has a bit of a tendency to be a bit too laid back
This is the one of the biggest advabtage James has over Blackett.. He seems so much more professional and focused..

Walters_19_MuFc

A few years ago he was pretty highly regarded at United, however, he hasn't quite progressed the way I thought he would. Not sure his loan moves were right, in terms of getting enough playing time. Didn't seem to start much for Blackpool.

He's a decent left back, but I no longer think he'll make it at United, especially now that we've got Shaw, who's 2 years younger than Tyler. That said, he could impress on tour and give Van Gaal something to think about.

Brightonian

Seems a bit of a strange one he's gone on the tour, above others. First team material?
He's gone so that if he's not deemed up to scratch we'll have time to get rid this summer. The older kids have gone, mostly, and the younger ones (or the ones who aren't as far along in their development) left behind, and I expect that's the reason.

khoazany

A few years ago he was pretty highly regarded at United, however, he hasn't quite progressed the way I thought he would. Not sure his loan moves were right, in terms of getting enough playing time. Didn't seem to start much for Blackpool.
Not true.He only went there to cover the LB spot when Jack Robinson was injured and he started all the games until Robinson came back and reclaim the spot.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Just thought about how Vermijl said van Gaal took 2 per position and the RBs are Rafael and Smalling. Does that mean the the LBs are Shaw and James and Blackett is CB? Or maybe James is CM? Or he could have just picked 3 LBs I suppose.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Excellent talent. Think he lacks the concentration and attitude to ever fulfil his early potential but then even Rio had his detractors at a similar age citing concentration issues etc and look how he matured.

I'd be surprised if he makes it but I wouldn't rule him out.

Gopher Brown

Just thought about how Vermijl said van Gaal took 2 per position and the RBs are Rafael and Smalling. Does that mean the the LBs are Shaw and James and Blackett is CB? Or maybe James is CM? Or he could have just picked 3 LBs I suppose.
Can Blackett or James not play RB?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Just the sort of player you'd expect LVG to take a closer look at, really. Will be very interesting to see which of the youngsters who'll get a proper chance when the season starts.

mufcwarm92

I too prefer Reece James. It seems bizarre though that Shaw is younger than both. I agree Blackett has a future, probably in the Championship, and I've been impressed with James but I'd need to see more to think he has a career with United.