Tyler Blackett

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Worth noting that the youtube shows far from all of his involvements. Most of the first half seems to be missing.

NoPace

Looks clueless at dealing with players off the ball to me, as he always has.

I predict he'll end up a fullback for some manager who prefers giant center-halves to tiny, quick wing back types. Somewhere between Ridgewell and Wilkinson in terms of competence. He has good power and pace and he's not a horrible passer. A 3 man backline makes a lot of sense for him, but I'd be surprised if he is above even Fletcher or Carrick in the pecking order at CB right now.

Champo loan?

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
The 3-man back line seems to really limit the pressure on any one defender, and it's allowing all of our CBs to impress.
Yes, but we've yet to play a team that play with actual wingers.

I am deeply nervous about the 3-4-1-2 in the premier league. We will certainly need a maturely developed plan B.

dutchred

I really do not understand some of the people here. First they complain that we do not give the youngsters a chance, then when we give them a chance people complain that they are not good enough after a couple of games. If their names were Mikael van der Keanesson and and Thylero Blaketti the same people would be drooling over them and asking us to pay 25-30 Euros for each.

Unlikely lad

I really do not understand some of the people here. First they complain that we do not give the youngsters a chance, then when we give them a chance people complain that they are not good enough after a couple of games. If their names were Mikael van der Keanesson and and Thylero Blaketti the same people would be drooling over them and asking us to pay 25-30 Euros for each.
I think part of it is due to the fact that Blackett has been mostly underwhelming over the past couple of years.

Sweet Square

It might be different will Blackett as people have said he's being underwhelming for the reserves(Although on this tour I think so far the youngsters have done brilliantly and would be happy and confident to see them play a part in the season). But I agree with your point that people rarely have patience with young player and will right them off with one mistake.

I do think on here the criticism has been pretty descent(There's only been the odd one who criticized Micheal Keane when he hadn't even watched the game)

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I did a google search and there were only 240 returns for "Tyler Blackett 'center back' Blackpool" and 270 for "Tyler Blackett 'center back' Birmingham", none seemed to be about Blackett playing center back for Blackpool or Birmingham.

He had 5 appearances for the former and 8 for the latter, so either way he's not had much experience at CB lately.

SteveW

Its nothing to do with his name. He's just not that good. Many posters here will have seen him play a lot at youth and reserve level and are therefore entitled to voice their opinion on his abilty/performances. Don't see why you think we'd be suggesting throwing 25 million at a player that doesn't even stand out at reserve level :confused:

RedPhil1957

Its nothing to do with his name. He's just not that good. Many posters here will have seen him play a lot at youth and reserve level and are therefore entitled to voice their opinion on his abilty/performances. Don't see why you think we'd be suggesting throwing 25 million at a player that doesn't even stand out at reserve level :confused:

I have was not at all impressed with his performances last season at reserve level but what the hell has that got to do with his form on tour. Some players grow as the standard improves around them, all I know for a young player he has looked quite promising so far.

Loublaze

ATLien
I have was not at all impressed with his performances last season at reserve level but what the hell has that got to do with his form on tour. Some players grow as the standard improves around them, all I know for a young player he has looked quite promising so far.
This. Why bring up the last few years? He's still only 20 and he's been impressive on tour. I see him getting a little first team action this season, probably in the League cup.

SteveW

Read his post. Apparently if he had a foreign name we'd and played for someone else we'd be saying he's worth 25 million.

I'd rather judge a player over a couple of years than two meaningless preseason games. Surely that's common sense?

I also think he's been pretty average in the two games. Nothing to suggest he's improved enough to be a first team player. Would you play him in a competitive game based on these performances?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
This. Why bring up the last few years? He's still only 20 and he's been impressive on tour. I see him getting a little first team action this season, probably in the League cup.
It would make football forums quite cramped if you couldn't use the past to support your arguments.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I did a google search and there were only 240 returns for "Tyler Blackett 'center back' Blackpool" and 270 for "Tyler Blackett 'center back' Birmingham", none seemed to be about Blackett playing center back for Blackpool or Birmingham.

He had 5 appearances for the former and 8 for the latter, so either way he's not had much experience at CB lately.
I think he played most of his times at brum at cb. On phone so can't check but transfermarkt will have what position he played in each match.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Blackett is listed on transfermarkt as having played 1 game at CB during each loan (2 out of 13 games).

The first game he played at CB, Blackpool lost 5-1 to Derby. The second, Birmingham lost 4-2 to Blackburn. So when he played CB last season his teams concede 4.5 goals on average. In the first he played 90, the second he was yanked at halftime (where all 4 goals were conceded in the first half).

Blackpool: 5 games (all starts)
LB - 3 games
CB - 1 (second to last game)
LW - 1 (last game)

Birmingham: 8 games (6 starts)
LB - 5
CB - 1 (last game)
subs - 2 (position not listed)

In both cases he started out as a LB and moved for a game to CB, suggesting they didn't prefer him there, he may have been injury cover as well.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/tyler-blackett/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/134414/plus//saison/2013

When he played CB for the reserves in 2012-13 he had 3 games at CB, during which we conceded 5 goals, which was the worst rate of the 11 players who played CB that season.

Obviously such a stat is far from comprehensive for analyzing performance, there are 10 other players on the pitch too who influence goals conceded. But I don't doubt it's meaningful data either.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/reserves-statistics-2012-13.359329

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Great to see him do well v Inter. Doing everything he can to work his way into van Gaal's plans.

mufcwarm92

He's a lucky boy. He was barely even in the picture as cover for centre half or left back, but now he's unexpectedly getting a chance at the left of the 3 and could get a fair few chances there.

I'd love it if he made it, not much better than a local lad showing his worth.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
He was excellent, though from a defensive POV it was a fairly easy game. I always knew he was decent on the ball but the passing ability he has displayed on this tour has taken me by surprise.

Eric'sCollar

Really suits that LCB role perfectly in attack, he makes the pitch very big and that naturally gives him plenty of options and when we have a player like Herrera who is always willing to collect the ball, it makes his job so much easier. Still has a lot to do and we should be doing our best to bring in a quality CB but it would be just like van Gaal to give him a chance and it would be great to see a local boy break though into the first team.

Krits

I was impressed with him. Seem composed both in Defence and with starting a few moves from the back. Will be a worthy squad player this season.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Composure, and loads of it.

Could be a potential breakout star from this tour. I bet he'll get a fair few chances this season unless we suddenly sign two defenders out of nothing.

kundalini

I've been really impressed by him. No doubt he has a lot to learn but he looks comfortable at this level; which is, if not astonishing, then certainly surprising.

Godfather

I love the look of him so far. Looks so composed and calm on the ball but still solid defensively. A bit like the opposite of Jones.

FromTheBench

He and Keane can be 5th choice cover together in this formation. We have Thorpe as well if needed and Carrick and Fletch can fill in if real desperate. Actually Shaw can as well probably.

Didn't have that much to do today, tbf but his on the ball composure again looked good.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Blackett has really done well on this tour. A lot of people were saying his progress in the reserves had stalled, maybe he just needed a higher level of competition and a manager willing to drill instructions into his head like Van Gaal?

PvsNP

If we don't sign more defenders, I wouldn't mind him and Keane as our backups. He has done well so far.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
From what I have seen of the two on tour, I like the look of Blackett much more thank Keane, and that is even if you remove the two penalties from the equation.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Him and Keane have been equally as good for me, Blackett has such fantastic vision and technique with his passing and has looked more assured from the 2nd half against Roma defensively.

Huge compliment from Van Gaal to say he is good enough for this level.

Devil1

BRANDED: Part Time dipper supporter
On a positive note, he looks much bigger and stronger.
He does look big, almost too big for left back, a search shows his height from 1.83m to 1.91m so must be a centre back in the long run!

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
This young man has what it takes. The thing that impressed me most was his calmness in tight situations, that he's a warrior when needed and that his passing is very accurate and precise.

I wouldn't be surprised if LvG include him in our squad.

Eric'sCollar

Really excited to see him possibly get a chance this season. Doing everything he can to make it hard for van Gaal. Hope he continues this way. Would be great to see him make it after being at the club since he was a kid.