Tyler Blackett

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Don't think its fair to call him a mediocre footballer at all he has plenty of ability its more his positioning and concentration that let him down and he has a bit of a tendency to be a bit too laid back
He's definitely not void of skill and I guess it was a bit tabloid of me to call him mediocre. Still, mental attributes are a huge part of a footballer's makeup and Tyler's problems in that regard go beyond concentration issues.

Matt James > Reece James
Matty had (and probably still has) a wonderful all-round game but he's slow. Hopefully he can establish himself as a proper Premiership midfielder, something which would have been a given if only he had a bit more pace.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
My gut feeling's telling me that van Gaal considers Reece to be more of a central midfielder due to his composure on the ball, decent technique, and good positional sense. Blackett doesn't really have those, but he is a good athlete and did look promising as a left back in the past. The fact that Blackett didn't play much during his loan spells might not have helped with his development as a player. However, if he knuckles down and works hard, his potential may be realised. However, I'm probably being optimistic at this point.

Matador8

He's gone so that if he's not deemed up to scratch we'll have time to get rid this summer. The older kids have gone, mostly, and the younger ones (or the ones who aren't as far along in their development) left behind, and I expect that's the reason.
Ah ok. I suppose it makes sense for the manage to have a good look at the more senior youth products. Lets's hope he can impress on tour, and at the very least find a good club to help his career progress.

JSMHE

My gut feeling's telling me that van Gaal considers Reece to be more of a central midfielder due to his composure on the ball, decent technique, and good positional sense. Blackett doesn't really have those, but he is a good athlete and did look promising as a left back in the past. The fact that Blackett didn't play much during his loan spells might not have helped with his development as a player. However, if he knuckles down and works hard, his potential may be realised. However, I'm probably being optimistic at this point.
Sound unfair for Ben Pearson

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Sound unfair for Ben Pearson
I'm not talking about him being ahead of Pearson and Rothwell at this stage. It's about what role he competes in given his skill set. For me, Reece doesn't look like a full back at all. He looks more like a central midfielder due to his skill set, and I think van Gaal sees it like that which is probably why he took Blackett. The only reason Reece would be considered as a full back is if he cannot demonstrate a good passing range whilst being good defensively.

JSMHE

I'm not talking about him being ahead of Pearson and Rothwell at this stage. It's about what role he competes in given his skill set. For me, Reece doesn't look like a full back at all. He looks more like a central midfielder due to his skill set, and I think van Gaal sees it like that which is probably why he took Blackett. The only reason Reece would be considered as a full back is if he cannot demonstrate a good passing range whilst being good defensively.
His skill looks like a left back than a central midfield to me. In my opionion, The reason why he took Blackett and Reece because we need a backup left back. LVG is giving both of them a chance to impress him.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Saw some criticism in the match day thread, I saw him get caught under the ball from a thrown in but nothing glaring thereafter, saw a lot more positive than negative, that could just be my sunny disposition though.

Give van Gaal some more time with the lad and I reckon we could have a player here.

FromTheBench

Saw some criticism in the match day thread, I saw him get caught under the ball from a thrown in but nothing glaring thereafter, saw a lot more positive than negative, that could just be my sunny disposition though.

Give van Gaal some more time with the lad and I reckon we could have a player here.
Thought he did well for what he had to but still Comparing him to Michael Keane the other side he didn't look too good.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Thought he did well for what he had to but still Comparing him to Michael Keane the other side he didn't look too good.
I thought Keane was better certainly but Keane also has more senior football to his name.

He is a long term thing, but if we stick with it then I reckon he saves us a fair chunk of change.

Unlikely lad

Blackett has been underwhelming over the last couple of years, and today didn't help improve my opinion to be honest, although it was a bit of an unfamiliar position for him.

Sid234

Blackett has played as a CB before.. He wasn't too bad at the back, a few poor passes but aside from that he grew in confidence as the game wore on and played better too.. I'd put down the early lapses to nerves more than anything else.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
He looked alright at the back, but he didn't look as good as Keane did in defence. I felt underwhelmed watching his performance. He seems alright, but I don't know if he can make it here at this club. Let's see if van Gaal can make him a better player. If Blackett gets back on track, he can be of some use to us.

khoazany

Don't understand the criticism on him today.LVG should have take Thorpe instead if he wanted an extra CB but I think Blackett did alright today,especially in the last 20 min.Looks a bit nervous at the start but it's totally understandable.Keane was better but isn't it a good thing?

Last edited:

Conrad

I thought he did well especially since he seemed to be the one tasked with the responsibility of stepping out of the back line with the ball. Good work dodging the pitch invader as well.

Mickson

Don't understand the criticism. Interesting choice by LvG I must say, I never thought of Blackett as a CB in a 3-5-2 but I must say that he fits in quite nice in that position. Has all the attributes.

Will Absolute

I thought he did well especially since he seemed to be the one tasked with the responsibility of stepping out of the back line with the ball. Good work dodging the pitch invader as well.
That was a party trick at junior level, too often losing the ball with embarrassing consequences.

mo0

Matt James > Reece James
of course he had to go on and score two! :lol:

no judgment here. pleased to see a young talent be given the chance...but always had a soft spot for Matty. the road his younger brother has taken certainly is more atypical (coming from PNE).

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
of course he had to go on and score two! :lol:

no judgment here. pleased to see a young talent be given the chance...but always had a soft spot for Matty. the road his younger brother has taken certainly is more atypical (coming from PNE).
Would have gotten a shot were it not for his injury, absolute sickener of a time to get it.

Mersault

I don't like to be overly critical of young players but I don't think he has a chance at United. He's a good athlete but doesn't have enough quality on the ball to play at this level. His discomfort in possession was painfully evident last night. I don't think it would have come as a surprise to anyone who is familiar with his game.

It's no slight on the lad. I think he will make a reasonable Championship player which is nothing to be ashamed of
(I accidentally made a 2nd thread)
I think it's too early to judge a 20 year old under Van Gaal after a few days. I think Van Gaal coming to OT gives every young player a chance to prove themselves. I don't think the Dutch NT has many outstanding center backs, but they work brilliantly as a unit. Just think he's already got the physique, if he's got the ability to adapt, he could get some games this year.

Seems a lot of people don't rate him, I'll be honest, haven't seen much of him. But didn't think he was that bad last night. Again, Shaw wasn't great, doesn't mean he won't come out of his shell soon.

FromTheBench

He'll be starting tomorrow then and playing the full 90 as per Van Gaal.

Will be interesting how he does. Assuming he will play LCB only.

Devil may care

Giving him the full 90 minutes is interesting, you have to wonder if he is in contention to be a genuine main squad option as the LCB this season and hence the full game against better opposition.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Giving him the full 90 minutes is interesting, you have to wonder if he is in contention to be a genuine main squad option as the LCB this season and hence the full game against better opposition.
If he takes his chances, I believe that van Gaal would reward him. He can shift to the left side too which will help his cause.

Will be interesting to see where he lines up and if his role changes throughout the 90mins.

Loublaze

ATLien
Reece doesn't have the height we'd rather have in a CB. Blackett had a solid game. I don't see why there are so many negatives about his performance. He had just as solid a game Reece did minus the goals.

khoazany

LVG clearly is trying all the pawns in his hands to see whether buying another CB is that necessary.Shame Thorpe wasn't there.

Last edited:

Devil may care

If he takes his chances, I believe that van Gaal would reward him. He can shift to the left side too which will help his cause.

Will be interesting to see where he lines up and if his role changes throughout the 90mins.
I think the left side of the back 3 is up for grabs as Evans didn't look that comfortable there and would probably be better at the center of the trio. How is Blackett's pace? As that seems important for the bookends in a back 3.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
I think the left side of the back 3 is up for grabs as Evans didn't look that comfortable there and would probably be better at the center of the trio. How is Blackett's pace? As that seems important for the bookends in a back 3.
It was the first game of pre-season in a completely new season. Bit soon to say he could displace Evans.

Blackett is a very good athlete, big, powerful and strong. He has played left mid on occasions.

Devil may care

It was the first game of pre-season in a completely new season. Bit soon to say he could displace Evans.

Blackett is a very good athlete, big, powerful and strong. He has played left mid on occasions.
I wasn't suggesting he displace Evans, I was saying if he was capable of playing as a LCB in the back 3 it would allow Evans to play as the central CB and give him the responsibility of bringing the ball out as he is the best defender we have when it comes to distribution.

That's good to hear, he looked a big, mobile lad in the brief chances he got to be involved the other night.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
LVG clearly is trying all the pawns in his hands to see whether buying another CB is really that necessary.Shame Thorpe wasn't there.
Yeah I really rate Thorpe. Always looked the better of him and Keane in the reserve imo and Keane has been great in the Championship. Good on the ball and a back 3 could help any concerns over his size and handling the physicality. Would have been nice to see him on tour and then get a good loan to get the experience.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Reece doesn't have the height we'd rather have in a CB. Blackett had a solid game. I don't see why there are so many negatives about his performance. He had just as solid a game Reece did minus the goals.
I never mentioned him being a central defender, though. I was talking about him being a full/wing back. However, I've changed my view from back then and see him as our Blind: capable of playing in 3 different roles (left back, central midfielder, left wing).

With Blackett, sure, he was fine against LA Galaxy, but our defence was untested for the majority of the time, particularly down his end. He was decent in the air and fairly comfortable on the ball. I just hope he can start to realise his potential because, until now, he hasn't been able to do much in his loan spells.

SirFergie

He has all the attributes to be a very good player in that position. He's big, strong and quick and he's also quite good on the ball. Could be better but he's still young and he has time to improve and I'm sure under van Gaal he will. We may not have to buy anyone for the left wing-back role after all.

Brightonian

He has all the attributes to be a very good player in that position. He's big, strong and quick and he's also quite good on the ball. Could be better but he's still young and he has time to improve and I'm sure under van Gaal he will. We may not have to buy anyone for the left wing-back role after all.
He's much better suited to the LCB position than the wingback position.

Juan't Mata

So... Tyler Blacket = Martins Indi, Reece James = Daley Blind, Michael Keane = De Vrij?
What people need to remember is that the overall shape and system far outweighs the individuals for LVG. It's why he was able to get away with playing Kuyt as a wingback and three number 10's in midfield at times over the summer.

In that context you can see why he'd be taking a serious look at James, Blackett and Keane as back up. If they show they can slot in well he'll have no need to go spending £27m on Blind and de Vrij to sit on the bench.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
It will be very interesting to see how he does tonight against proper footballers. He quite impressed me against LA Galaxy and the position seems ideal for him. It plays to a lot of his strengths while his tactical naivety is less likely to be exposed in a trio of CBs.

Simbo

Blackett & Clevs only ones playing 90 mins today. Looks like he's being put through his paces!

Sid234

Did well today, was better in the 2nd half than the first.. Made some crucial interceptions and headers late on once Roma started piling on the pressure