Tyler Blackett

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Did well today, was better in the 2nd half than the first.. Made some crucial interceptions and headers late on once Roma started piling on the pressure
Yeah, looked solid.

FromTheBench

He was a disaster first half. Got caught out 3/4 times of straight balls over him. Destro was playing off him and he caught himself in awkward situations.

Much better 2nd half but still had unconvincing moments.

Not getting the comments above at all.

Ekeke

I think on the ball he continued to show good composure and found his man accurately.

However against L.A and tonight he's had a couple of moments where he misjudged the ball in the air defensively. That would be more my concern right now.

shivab

his distribution is excellent. very confident on the ball. still needs to be better at reading the game but that will come with more playing time. seems like he might save us some money in the transfer market...same can be said for micheal keane..looks solid and so calm and composed everytime i see him play

khoazany

He was a disaster first half. Got caught out 3/4 times of straight balls over him. Destro was playing off him and he caught himself in awkward situations.
Most defenders will struggle against Destro's type of striker IMO and some of the onside calls were soft.He did well in the second half especially on distributing the ball.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Clear weak link at the back but his distribution's impressive.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

Much better 2nd half but still had unconvincing moments.

Not getting the comments above at all.
I think they missed a couple of the offsides to be honest. Don't see your point about him in the second half, looked quite comfortable.

FromTheBench

Most defenders will struggle against Destro's type of striker IMO and some of the onside calls were soft.He did well in the second half especially on distributing the ball.
He was getting caught off by simple straight balls over the top and getting himself in awkward retrieving positions as a result of not being flexible enough and bit one footed.

Destro is hardly the quickest either.

I think they missed a couple of the offsides to be honest. Don't see your point about him in the second half, looked quite comfortable.
Lost the ball along with Kagawa once centrally which Smalling bailed him out from and lost couple of tackles when he went to the right to recover leading to a Roma shot which went into the side netting.

He was much better 2nd half compared to his first though.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
His distribution is pretty impressive and he's built like a tank. I think van Gaal can make a player out of him. All the other issues will hopefully be sorted by maturity.

Devil may care

I thought he did pretty well, had a couple of scares in the first half but steadied himself and kept his composure. He's big, strong, mobile and comfortable on the ball, plenty for LvG to work with.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Good composure on the ball and great physical attributes. Was caught a few times by Destro's runs but he wasn't the only one to blame for them. Evans and Jones didn't look comfortable with his runs in behind either and I'd say the new system has a lot to do with it. They all need to work on their positioning and it is expected when they are all dealing with an unfamiliar position. Looks to me like van Gaal see some potential in him so we'll have to see how he does.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
For me he's always lacked a bit of defensive awareness and it's no coincidence that Destro targeted the space around him. It looked like it could get ugly after a couple of shaky moments early on but to his credit he composed himself and got on with it. All in all he's done pretty well in a fitting but unfamiliar position.

Lane

Looked okay, not sure whether he can be a regular feature in Prem. Sort of reminds you about Martins Indi, does not he?:)

Sid234

I think all our defenders are still adapting to the 3 at the back.. After that initial 10-15 minute spell when they were all over the place, we settled in and held the offside line well.

Blackett got better as the game got on, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt because barring the the early part of the game he was very good. Held the offside line well, made some important tackles and interceptions too and of course like everyone else said his distribution from the back was excellent..

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
For me he's always lacked a bit of defensive awareness and it's no coincidence that Destro targeted the space around him. It looked like it could get ugly after a couple of shaky moments early on but to his credit he composed himself and got on with it. All in all he's done pretty well in a fitting but unfamiliar position.
Oh, he's been a real liability in the past, defensively. I have no idea if he's been cured of that last season though, I'm seen very little info about his loan.

jb8521

If he ever played CB for United it was only a handful of times. My memory (which is imperfect to say the least) is that he played left wing as his second position, not CB.
He played a fair bit at cb in his 2nd year under 18 and only played left wing a few times for the reserves

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Oh, he's been a real liability in the past, defensively. I have no idea if he's been cured of that last season though, I'm seen very little info about his loan.
Yeah, I don't know much about his loans either, but based on the 2 games so far it's totally plausible that he has indeed matured some. He used to look shakier against Bolton u21s than he did last night against some very decent players.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
He played a fair bit at cb in his 2nd year under 18 and only played left wing a few times for the reserves
Good to know, I only remember him from the U21s, so hard to catch U18 games without MUTV.

He was benched as a left back at one point because we were conceding so many goals through him, he was poor in the air and would get targeted when he was defending in the box. I thought he looked better as a winger than a full back, but it was a tiny sample size to be fair.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
He is still only 20 with only a handful of senior appearances. I think he is coming along nicely. Gaining great experience on this tour.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"

Tbh if we saw this clip from another club's youngster we would already raved about him.
I just watched that, and while he looked steady enough, he did absolutely nothing remarkable at all. And there was only one piece of actual defending in it.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
If he ever played CB for United it was only a handful of times. My memory (which is imperfect to say the least) is that he played left wing as his second position, not CB.
Came through the system as a centre-half...was then switched to LB when he got older and played between the two defensive positions almost entirely. He was played on the left wing for the reserves every now and then but never for any sort of decent run.

ravelston

I just watched that, and while he looked steady enough, he did absolutely nothing remarkable at all. And there was only one piece of actual defending in it.
Wow, tough crowd. Thought the passing was first rate, showed good composure and decision making. That's a great start for a kid. We didn't see much defense but at least he did nothing wrong. Actually thought he was way better than Keane who supposedly is our best prospect.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Wow, tough crowd. Thought the passing was first rate, showed good composure and decision making. That's a great start for a kid. We didn't see much defense but at least he did nothing wrong. Actually thought he was way better than Keane who supposedly is our best prospect.
???

In the first twenty minutes we could have been 2-0 down purely by Destro targeting Blackett as the weak link at the back.

lysglimt

Scout
He is still only 20 with only a handful of senior appearances. I think he is coming along nicely. Gaining great experience on this tour.
The problem is - he was eposed for his lack of concentration at both Academy and reserve-level - and he still hasn't improved. And it's really frustrating because he has got most other skills required to be a good player.

Momochiru

I think he was a little shaky against LA Galaxy - definitely our worst player, even if he didn't screw up majorly, just the rest of our players were more impressive. However I seemed to be in a minority with this opinion, so I payed special attention to his performance against Roma and I think it was a game of two halves for him. The first 30 minutes he was very poor. He had 6-7 defensive mistakes in that period - 2 of them could've lead to a goal, if Destro was a more composed finisher. Couple other times he was very lucky James managed to bail him out. What I didn't like especially was that every time when he was beaten by Destro, he was raising his hand and trying to claim offside instead of busting a gut and trying to recover - not a good sign for a young player.

However after the first 30 minutes he improved and for the rest of the game he made only 2-3 smaller mistakes. That's encouraging and if he keeps improving he should be able to make a good backup for the left sided CB for the season. Still very far from being a starter thou, so buying a left sided CB is a must.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
The problem is - he was eposed for his lack of concentration at both Academy and reserve-level - and he still hasn't improved. And it's really frustrating because he has got most other skills required to be a good player.
That's the thing, once he plays some senior football, he can improve. Let him learn under an experienced manager. We are far too impatient when it comes to young players. They all develop at different rates.

I might be a little old school but to me, 20 is still very young. A lot want a 20 year old to already be an established, experienced pro.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Came through the system as a centre-half...was then switched to LB when he got older and played between the two defensive positions almost entirely. He was played on the left wing for the reserves every now and then but never for any sort of decent run.
Yes, I meant to say I was talking about the reserves only.

I don't know about 2011-12, but in 2012-13, when I kept stats, he had 3 games as a CB.

Do you know if he played CB on loan?

Unless he's played a lot of CB last year then it's been a while since he's had a run at CB, at least.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/reserves-statistics-2012-13.359329/

Brightonian

Tbh if we saw this clip from another club's youngster we would already raved about him.
You're both exaggerating in my opinion. Tidy performance; nice passing including a couple of very competent long passes; good composure on the ball though rarely under any sort of pressure (unlike Keane for example who several times showed very nice feet to play the ball out with opposition players pressing him); one nice tackle in a 1 on 1 situation.

So absolutely no grounds for criticism, and better than 'steady enough'. But not something that would have us raving about another club's player either.

Interestingly he looked more consistent and comfortable there to me than he ever really has in our reserves. The 3-man back line seems to really limit the pressure on any one defender, and it's allowing all of our CBs to impress.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
You can teach consistency and awareness. You can't really teach ability and sheer physicality.

Not saying he'll make it, but playing in a back 3 for the second time ever, against a team whose only strategy was the long ball and a player who was, literally, running offside every 10 seconds - it's hard to judge based on that. Destro would have caught anyone playing left back during that match. He's lightning quick, and Roma must have played 30 balls over the top towards him. No one can get it all right.