Tyler Blackett

itso 7

Really excited that he, James and Keane have made a claim of sorts and that at least two of them will get a real shot . I like it that way not least because it saves us money but also because that's how it should be in football, teams filling their squads with youth products.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Reminds me abit of Abidal at centre-back in the way he is on the ball. I hope he does well because even at youth level, there was always something about him in terms of attributes which suggested this boy could end up a decent player.. the question mark was on the quality of his footballing brain.

Funnily enough, this position he is playing in.. is literally tailor made for him, in that you can't see him playing as one of the 2 CB's in a 4 line defence and he can definitely not play full back/wing back. He only has a future at this club if we stick to 3-5-2 and he excels in that LCB position.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Really excited that he, James and Keane have made a claim of sorts and that at least two of them will get a real shot . I like it that way not least because it saves us money but also because that's how it should be in football, teams filling their squads with youth products.
It makes perfect sense to play youth/reserves players in positions we are short instead of older players out of position. Long may it continue!

itso 7

It makes perfect sense to play youth/reserves players in positions we are short instead of older players out of position. Long may it continue!
Yeah even though this season may be too early for them but if they can play around 5-10 games each then next season they would be real options. These first steps encourage me and I'm sure the likes of Pearson, Wilson etc will be excited about this too.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Funny how football works eh?

Before the pre-season started, I doubt he'd be even among the five youth players(Wilson, Lawrence, Lingard, Keane brothers,) likely to get a chance under van Gaal according to most of the posters here(including me) but now it looks he'll be a squad player this season. Pleased for Blackett.

SteveW

I also think he's been pretty average in the two games. Nothing to suggest he's improved enough to be a first team player. Would you play him in a competitive game based on these performances?
Quoting myself here because I've been pretty hard on him. He's improving with every game. It's been a pleasant surprise. I'm still not convinced he is a first team player but I'm also no longer convinced that he can't be at some stage. Fair play to the lad. He's doing really well.

Devil may care

Pleased by those comments from van Gaal, I definitely think he has done enough to be given a chance to be the back up LCB this season.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Definitely one of the bigger boosts from this pre-season in an area where cover was needed.

mufcwarm92

He and Keane look very good on the ball and capable of cracking long passes. Makes a bit of a change from the Shawcross/Brown school of defending, though I'm not sure it's entirely for the better.

Litch

I've been really impressed by him and Keane. I'd argue they look more composed on the ball than our senior CB's. The big problem is the tour is not the prem, and these games are more like CL than PL. Think there's a lot we won't know about including the system till we play at that level. It does find people out.

khoazany

I've been really impressed by him and Keane. I'd argue they look more composed on the ball than our senior CB's. The big problem is the tour is not the prem, and these games are more like CL than PL. Think there's a lot we won't know about including the system till we play at that level. It does find people out.
That's the coaching method brought by Meulensteen began to take its fruits.Most of our youth CBs are really comfortable with the ball and can distribute the ball from the back effectively, not just "lumping it forward".

Crashoutcassius

Agree looks comfortable on ball and physically looks like he could be very impressive one day. Would like to see him get competitive chance early in the season

Lane

If we do sign Vermaelen or any other left-ish defender he has to go on loan, preferably to a PL side, but if not - to Europe, no Championship loans please! Even Holland is a better option.
But if we come short at transfer market of course we need him here.

I would prefer the first option.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Reminds me abit of Abidal at centre-back in the way he is on the ball. I hope he does well because even at youth level, there was always something about him in terms of attributes which suggested this boy could end up a decent player.. the question mark was on the quality of his footballing brain.

Funnily enough, this position he is playing in.. is literally tailor made for him, in that you can't see him playing as one of the 2 CB's in a 4 line defence and he can definitely not play full back/wing back. He only has a future at this club if we stick to 3-5-2 and he excels in that LCB position.
I know what you mean but I don't think it's quite true really. At this moment in time the left sided CB role is the only one where he'd have a sniff in our squad but if he could play there for 2 or 3 years and keep up the level he's showing then I reckon most people would be pretty confident with him playing in a 4 man defence. He just needs this opportunity to grow I think.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Even if we indeed get Vermaelen, I expect both Keane and Blackett to feature quite regularly for us next season. We'd have 6 center backs, which is quite the number we need if we're going to play with 3 of them from the beginning of each game. The fact that Evans, Smalling, Jones and Vermaelen are injured quite often, is another reason why we should keep both of them at the club next season. That's unless we decide to sign 2 new center backs but I highly doubt it.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
I think he will start against Valencia and if he puts in a good performance, I think it will be enough for him to be given a chance v Swansea.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Can we put this in the first team forum or do we have to wait for a "competitive debut"?

pseudo_canadian

Very encouraging pre-season from him, and encouraging comments from van Gaal. Hope he gets a place in the first team and gets quality game time here and there as a backup. Looked very comfortable in pre-season and he'll only improve if given more first team opportunities. He's still very young too. Happy for Blackett.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Certainly a bright spot from our pre-season. Really stepped up and took his chance and being left footed I wouldn't be surprised if he's genuinely played himself into contention.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Looks a class act again.

Ekeke

Think it was he who played the underhit pass to Ander and they broke on us. Other than that and some slightly wayward long passing he's looked good. Especially running forward with the ball

Rossa

He is still not sure if he will stay or go on loan, I can't see him going anywhere.
Apparently, LVG has told him a couple of times that he really likes him.
I passed on the cafs buzz to his uncle this morning. :D
You know him?

Anyways, he looks a class act. He looks so composed and comfortable out there.

FromTheBench

Think it was he who played the underhit pass to Ander and they broke on us. Other than that and some slightly wayward long passing he's looked good. Especially running forward with the ball
Pretty sure he got bailed out by a excellent Smalling tackle once when Feghouli got in behind him as well. That exactly showed his weakness in terms of awareness of runners.

Looked class on the ball though.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Easily our best defender judging only by his pre-season performances. Strong, confident, going forward, very decent in air... beside obvious lack of experience there's no detriments in his game as he grasps Louie's vision of the new system without problems so far.

I doubt he'll fear Rojo's imminent arrival. It's gonna be a healthy rivalry inside the squad.

MUFCpiffgawd

Not personally, but I work with some of his family.
They are in an exciting and scary place at the moment. What happens this year could have a huge impact on them.
I think they're really trying hard not to count chickens.
he looks very composed on the ball.

Sam

Looks like there's a good chance he'll play on Saturday, hope he can continue his form into the season proper.

Verminator

I told his uncle that I didn't think he got up and down the line enough as a fb, but this system suits him.
He agreed, but didn't look too keen when I suggested he could be CB in a back four. He may be justified to have reservations, I'd hope Tyler could adapt, but they'd know his true feelings. He's in the last year of his contract, apparently.

Rossa

I told his uncle that I didn't think he got up and down the line enough as a fb, but this system suits him.
He agreed, but didn't look too keen when I suggested he could be CB in a back four. He may be justified to have reservations, I'd hope Tyler could adapt, but they'd know his true feelings. He's in the last year of his contract, apparently.
He looks terrific in a three man system at the back. He fast, although not lightning thus lacking a little as a fullback, and he's technical and a good passer of the ball, but he lacks a little finesse and ability to go past players, thus again lacking a little as a fullback.
I really like him next to Smalling with Jones to the right.

m1y2

who would have thought at the end of last season that we will line up on our opening match 5men defense from right to left with a ressurected attacking midfielder Ashley Young, Jones, Smalling, written off averag acadmy talent with couple of bad loan spells T.Blackett, and Reece James who was released by preston two years ago. Would have been an insane shout... Not sure if Evans or Valencia can get back to full fitness to make some changes forcing one of our youngsters out of the starting XI. The craziest thing is that I am not worried. We coped well with Valencia and we can easily beat Swansea we will be home and it will give our youn players the confidence..

Verminator

He looks terrific in a three man system at the back. He fast, although not lightning thus lacking a little as a fullback, and he's technical and a good passer of the ball, but he lacks a little finesse and ability to go past players, thus again lacking a little as a fullback.
I really like him next to Smalling with Jones to the right.
With injuries going the way they are, he may get more games than he was expecting.