U23s vs Blackburn

AJ VII

Think we made a great attacking display today with Mejbri, Shola and Amad with the standout performances. The linkup play between them was great and I think Mejbri should get his debut this year if we have a nothing game at the end of the season. Maybe on the left wing where he played today. Think his workrate was really good.

Dont know if its envy from the Blackburn players or what, but the amount of nasty challenges on Mejbri tonight was shocking. And that the ref allows it is worrying because careers can get ruined with injurees if the players feel they can get away with anything.

The defensive display was really bad, probably because we didnt have a single center defender on the pitch. Felt like Blackburn scored everytime they attacked. So the scoreline was really flattering for them as we completely dominated the game.

Reactions: Sultan

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Look at this kid. :drool:
Impatiently waiting to see them feature on the first team bench. Also worried by the brutality playing against pissed off lower level full professionals.

432JuanMata

Why are people complaining about Blackburn kicking our players ? It’s good for them if they get to the first team or go on loan to the championship the physical step up is the biggest issue so it’s a learning curve

always_hoping

A good days work when you can beat who was the table toppers and score 6 goals against them. Hopefully Diallo is on the match day panel for the FA Cup tie against West ham on Tuesday.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Why are people complaining about Blackburn kicking our players ? It’s good for them if they get to the first team or go on loan to the championship the physical step up is the biggest issue so it’s a learning curve
Not necessarily. It's a bit more than learning to be kicked with impunity as Blackburn did. There's physical challenges and then there's downright awful football

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Cause we've lost of ton of players to impact injuries due to violent opposition over the last couple of years, also there was a complete lack of consistency in the referees decisions. The refereeing at that level is negligent.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Careful! Some Scottish commentator got the sack for saying he went for a poo earlier this week I think (what a nonsense!).

Btw sure you weren't visiting one of your legendary tabs? :nono:
Sure the scouse weren't playing tonight, so I'm on incognito!

mav_9me

@jb8521 has a go at the Caf on Twitter
Who exactly was having a go?
Not really. I know he's young but he's not really shown anything at all at U23 level. He got promoted beyond his level, he needed more time in the U18s.
He's one of our highest rated players and there's a reason why he was given a pro deal so quickly. He might not be doing at u23 but he's an excellent talent.
KM was explaining why Shoretire is highly rated as a reply to a post by @AltiUn which seems to be now deleted.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You don't get kicked like that in mens football anymore. They were blatantly kicking him off the ball and smashing his ankles - he'd be more protected in mens football!

There's a difference between being physically ready (strength/speed) and learning how to take a beating. Anyway, Leeds did it just as bad last year and Hannibal never backs down.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Mejbri MOTM for me, followed closely by Amad. Both players are fantastic in the transition and it's lovely to watch and it will really benefit the others in attack like we saw tonight. Both players are a level above the rest IMO.

Also a special mention for Harvey Neville who put in a brilliant cross for Joe Hugill on a plate.

mattsville

That was exceptional, there were so many brilliant performers, the tempo, technique and intelligence in the play was fantastic but to produce the best of it 2 goals down was the biggest plus to possess that mentality, buzzing after that, the potential for a lot of these players is huge, exciting times.

AltiUn

KM was explaining why Shoretire is highly rated as a reply to a post by @AltiUn which seems to be now deleted.
Yeah, I felt it was unnecessary, was said in the heat of the moment and OTT so I thought it best to delete it as to avoid any more arguments derailing the match thread.

AshRK

Some of the kids were unbelievable. I hope Ole gives them some chance this season and slowly integrates them.

432JuanMata

You don't get kicked like that in mens football anymore. They were blatantly kicking him off the ball and smashing his ankles - he'd be more protected in mens football!

There's a difference between being physically ready (strength/speed) and learning how to take a beating. Anyway, Leeds did it just as bad last year and Hannibal never backs down.
They do when the go on loan which most will to the lower leagues. I know injuries are a problem but I still will do them good in the long run

PS That Blackburn team is a bunch of pricks

bsCallout

The standout attribute for me with Diallo is his decision making. He seems levels above a lot of our first team players in this regard. It was showing before he joined and he is showing it here too, some players have raw quality but lack that football brain and awareness, he seems really switched on for his age.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Brilliant game of football. Got to love the boys going forward.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Is it frequent for opposing U23s to be so thuggish in challenges? Envy of other players like Mejbri, Diallo etc. who come with big fees from other academies, perhaps?

Grande

As I only watch highlights, is it correct that most games Mejbri has played no 10/8 positions and Shoretire on the left mostly? And that they sort of switched places for the last two games?

With 12 goals in two games, it seems the attack really has clicked into place, a shame Diallo possibly won’t play too many games with the other lads in a year or two, they do seem to fit together from the reports and highlights at least.

AltiUn

Is it frequent for opposing U23s to be so thuggish in challenges? Envy of other players like Mejbri, Diallo etc. who come with big fees from other academies, perhaps?
Yes, unfortunately.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
As I only watch highlights, is it correct that most games Mejbri has played no 10/8 positions and Shoretire on the left mostly? And that they sort of switched places for the last two games?

With 12 goals in two games, it seems the attack really has clicked into place, a shame Diallo possibly won’t play too many games with the other lads in a year or two, they do seem to fit together from the reports and highlights at least.
They've interchanged quite a bit. We don't really have a dedicated left-sided player, so both Shoretire and Mejbri take turns in pulling out to the left flank. Quite often, both players drift in centrally, leaving lots of space for Fernandez to go into.

bdecuc

Seems like a lot of u23 teams are full of pretty limited players who’ve been coached to have their aggression dialed up to the max. And unfortunately the refereeing is shockingly bad usually.

OleGunnar20

Great to see us so fluid going forward.

For those who watch our youngsters regularly - what kind of role do we see Mejbri settling into eventually? The guy seems so versatile.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

For those who watch our youngsters regularly - what kind of role do we see Mejbri settling into eventually? The guy seems so versatile.
He'll definitely be a playmaking midfielder as an attacking midfielder or attacking #8. He lacks in defensive awareness, and his defensive positioning can be found wanting, but he works hard, tracks back, and puts a foot in. His passing is his strongest weapon, and his vision as well as passing range come to the fore when he's allowed to dictate play from the midfield.

OleGunnar20

He'll definitely be a playmaking midfielder as an attacking midfielder or attacking #8. He lacks in defensive awareness, and his defensive positioning can be found wanting, but he works hard, tracks back, and puts a foot in. His passing is his strongest weapon, and his vision as well as passing range come to the fore when he's allowed to dictate play from the midfield.
Awesome, sounds a good fit. I wonder if he'd work in a duo of very offensive 8's alongside Bruno with a rock solid DM behind them.

Both have the work rate and battle to make it work I think. But the DM would have to be top class.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Awesome, sounds a good fit. I wonder if he'd work in a duo of very offensive 8's alongside Bruno with a rock solid DM behind them.

Both have the work rate and battle to make it work I think. But the DM would have to be top class.
Even with an amazing DM, they'd need a very good pair of CBs behind them , and on top of that, the team will need to stop the opposition from building up attacks quickly via fouls (which our first-team players don't tend to do too often). With Hannibal, he still needs to develop that more pragmatic side of his game. His positioning is terrible, and he often lets runners by too easily. He still has some way to go to develop into a dependable #8.

Red_toad

Leicester were worse from memory.

Can tell most of the teams are coached by brits from the thuggery.
What a crock of shite. Pretty obvious a lot of players at Under 23 will end up playing in the very lower levels of football, coaches make them work hard to make up for their lack of ability. The Refs are very reluctant to book them. It’s got feck all to do with nationality and isn’t a trait of British people.

GledTheRed

What a crock of shite. Pretty obvious a lot of players at Under 23 will end up playing in the very lower levels of football, coaches make them work hard to make up for their lack of ability. The Refs are very reluctant to book them. It’s got feck all to do with nationality and isn’t a trait of British people.
Chill the fcuk out.

Have you played football in England?

Adcuth

Best thing about Hannibal is no matter how much he gets kicked, it makes him even more determined. He's got a proper winners attitude, Fernandes will love him.

Hannibal / Shoretire / Diallo should all be getting time into the first team soon.
Or at least start training alongside them

Adnan

Talent Spotter

He could play in various roles centrally and can also do a job out wide like a Mezzala. But he IMO is best suited to playing in a more attacking role and it's clear to see he is being given the freedom to express himself and roam around the pitch which shows how highly thought of he is at the club. So I'd say he will likely be introduced as the most advanced midfielder or a wide play maker in the first team as things stand. But with more experience his tactical understanding will improve off the ball and I could also see him playing as the box to box #8 in a double pivot in the mid to long-term. Currently it's understandable he's being asked to play with freedom and take on the added responsibility to create plays which is the sensible thing to do for his development at u23 level. The rest will come later as he develops further.

Bigsid

He could play in various roles centrally and can also do a job out wide like a Mezzala. But he IMO is best suited to playing in a more attacking role and it's clear to see he is being given the freedom to express himself and roam around the pitch which shows how highly thought of he is at the club. So I'd say he will likely be introduced as the most advanced midfielder or a wide play maker in the first team as things stand. But with more experience his tactical understanding will improve off the ball and I could also see him playing as the box to box #8 in a double pivot in the mid to long-term. Currently it's understandable he's being asked to play with freedom and take on the added responsibility to create plays which is the sensible thing to do for his development at u23 level. The rest will come later as he develops further.
Very talented player and some great attacking play on show but just a reminder we beat a championship sides 23s side 6-4 with 30 million of brought in talent.