U23s vs Blackburn

Adcuth

Diallo belongs to much higher level than U23. Hannibal impressed me as exciting prospect.
It could be that they want him to settle down there whilst taking the piss a bit. Then come up brimming with confidence. That price tag isn't always good for such a young lad. Remove the initial worry and let him flourish. Its almost like making him feel hes earned his call up even if we didn't think he needed to.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Very talented player and some great attacking play on show but just a reminder we beat a championship sides 23s side 6-4 with 30 million of brought in talent.
Blackburn treat it more like a reserve league and use their fringe first team players and lads coming back from injuries. Where top of the league for a reason.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Rarely watch the U23s but obviously been excited to see Diallo. These last two games have been fantastic and I'll make sure I dont miss another one.

Its very encouraging to see these lads coming through. Diallo will surely be seeing first team minutes soon. The tricks and the pace are of course a huge asset but I think we've all been impressed by his vision and weight of pass. He could be really, really special.

Hannibal, Shoretire & Hugill are also making great strides. Its a shame we never seen to get easy cup draws as I'd like to see Hannibal get some minutes. The latter two not quite there physically but I can see both being close to some minutes next season.

Exciting times

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Very talented player and some great attacking play on show but just a reminder we beat a championship sides 23s side 6-4 with 30 million of brought in talent.
I think you're being harsh mate. The Blackburn team weren't the most talented but looked physically superior to our lads and they also had a 30 year old Corey Evans playing. Also Blackburn were top of the league before they lost to us, so they're a tough team to play against.

Red_toad

Chill the fcuk out.

Have you played football in England?
Yes, I’m British, got plenty of coaching and none of it involved kicking the crap out of the opposition, in a time when it happened a lot more than it does now.
Quit posting crap and I’ll not pull you up on it!

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
39 goals scored and 39 goals conceded in 14 matches in the league is a good advert for this football :D
That our defence would struggle in every match is no shock since we have lost some defenders in January ......but that we would score so many goals in the last two matches without Elanga and today with no Puigmal is a shock.

mav_9me

39 goals scored and 39 goals conceded in 14 matches in the league is a good advert for this football :D
That our defence would struggle in every match is no shock since we have lost some defenders in January ......but that we would score so many goals in the last two matches without Elanga and today with no Puigmal is a shock.
Tbf Diallo playing is like a first teamer and Hannibal had played like a first teamer.

lysglimt

Scout
One of the strangest games of football I have ever seen - with 10 goals scored in a game where the 2 keepers combined maybe made 3-4 qualified saves. Defensively both teams were awful - our team the worst. Blackburn going forward were prolific, we were brilliant.

Diallo-Shoretire-Mejbri in the second half, probably played the best kind of attacking football I have ever seen at this level - they were making fun of Blackburn - over and over again. None of these players should be playing for the U23 next season - either send them out of loan or move them up to the first-team - they are all that good!

The concern: Dylan Levitt - not close to the player he was before leaving on-loan. So probably the right decision not to send him out on loan again - he needs time to rebuild his confidence.

The surprise: I have never really rated Harvey Neville - yesterday he was by far our best defender.

lysglimt

Scout
Just to put things into perspective - these are the 11 players who easily could have started this game:

Kovar - Williams, Fish, Mengi, Laird - Puigmal, Garner - Chong, Traore, Elanga - Mellor

GledTheRed

Yes, I’m British, got plenty of coaching and none of it involved kicking the crap out of the opposition, in a time when it happened a lot more than it does now.
Quit posting crap and I’ll not pull you up on it!
So you've not played lower league football in England then and got kicked all over?

It's not crap, you know it happens.

Red_toad

So you've not played lower league football in England then and got kicked all over?

It's not crap, you know it happens.
And it’s only in England it happens? As that’s what you’re saying.

Getting coached by Tony from down the pub is very different to getting coached by the people who the under 23’s have access to.

GledTheRed

And it’s only in England it happens? As that’s what you’re saying.

Getting coached by Tony from down the pub is very different to getting coached by the people who the under 23’s have access to.
Jesus, you witnessed it last night and several times this season at under 23 level, our technical players are getting hacked all over by players instructed to do so by their coaches.

[Mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_toad

Jesus, you witnessed it last night and several times this season at under 23 level, our technical players are getting hacked all over by players instructed to do so by their coaches.

It's clear as day you moron.
Ah the old resort to name calling to prove a point. Bye dude.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ah the old resort to name calling to prove a point. Bye dude.
He’s not wrong though. Those teams will resort to shithouse tactics when they come up against a side like United which is echelons ahead of it technically. They would trash most non-league sides themselves and be way ahead technically because like you say they have access to better coaching but that doesn’t get around the fact they’re taught to kick lumps out of the opposition to slow them down because there is definitely an old school mentality still present in English football.

Glorio

Amad and Mejbri look really close - the inside pass from Mejbri to Amad was something you expect from KDB and players of that ilk.

Shoretire is quality but not ready to go near the first team yet - still a baby really, looks it too, and has a lot more physical development to get through than the other two.

I didn't watch Pellistri's games, but the highlights were promising and he was scoring a few. Anyone know how he did before he left on loan?

Also, what happened to Puigmal?

Red_toad

He’s not wrong though. Those teams will resort to shithouse tactics when they come up against a side like United which is echelons ahead of it technically. They would trash most non-league sides themselves and be way ahead technically because like you say they have access to better coaching but that doesn’t get around the fact they’re taught to kick lumps out of the opposition to slow them down because there is definitely an old school mentality still present in English football.
It’s not an exclusive British thing, that was what I was challenging.
I’ve seen amature and lower league games in many other countries and kicking the dangerous players is common place. Diving and over playing any contact has pretty much reduced hacking players to a minimum In the higher leagues.

GledTheRed

Exactly my point, thanks.

Nice not to be ridiculed.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s not an exclusive British thing, that was what I was challenging.
I’ve seen amature and lower league games in many other countries and kicking the dangerous players is common place. Diving and over playing any contact has pretty much reduced hacking players to a minimum In the higher leagues.
I don’t think he ever made the claim of exclusivity to England despite you pressing on that point? Just that we are talking about it happening in England and being a particular problem when the standard gets lower.

EngimaMK

Chill the fcuk out.

Have you played football in England?
You should be the one to chill the feck out with your utter garbage chat. I can find you teams that kick the feck out if others that are coached by foreigners.... So what? I wouldn't lay it at the door of "being coached by foreigners".

EngimaMK

I don’t think he ever made the claim of exclusivity to England despite you pressing on that point? Just that we are talking about it happening in England and being a particular problem when the standard gets lower.
That's exactly the fecking claim he made

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Agreed

GledTheRed

You should be the one to chill the feck out with your utter garbage chat. I can find you teams that kick the feck out if others that are coached by foreigners.... So what? I wouldn't lay it at the door of "being coached by foreigners".
Deary me, the state of you.

Another to the ignore list, productive morning.

Last edited:

Red_toad

Can tell most of the teams are coached by brits from the thuggery’ isn’t the most PC way to get your point across. So if I’m not happy with the quote I’ll call it out. Like I said it’s common place.

Mickson

Agreed. I'm not entirely saying it's an English thing but I have experience from several different countries regarding youth football and I think England is the worst I've seen when it comes to this. It's very odd that referees and FA aren't doing anything about it IMO. I would have thought that clubs like United, Chelsea, Liverpool etc have the power to change things as they obviously should complain about the standard of referees.

GledTheRed

Agreed. I'm not entirely saying it's an English thing but I have experience from several different countries regarding youth football and I think England is the worst I've seen when it comes to this. It's very odd that referees and FA aren't doing anything about it IMO. I would have thought that clubs like United, Chelsea, Liverpool etc have the power to change things as they obviously should complain about the standard of referees.
You could hear our players at the referee at the end when Hannibal had been hacked down yet again.

"fecking hell ref does he have to break his leg?"

Trequarista10

Can tell most of the teams are coached by brits from the thuggery’ isn’t the most PC way to get your point across. So if I’m not happy with the quote I’ll call it out. Like I said it’s common place.
I agree.

I've never played football abroad except for some futsal when I was living in Australia so I would be interested to see if there is a difference in the general level of aggressiveness/dirtiness in different countries. There's definately an element of aggression in amateur (and professional) football in England which seems particularly English to me, although I couldn't say for certain without experiencing football elsewhere. I will say I've played in numerous sides in England and every so often you get a player from abroad play, and they always comment on the level of aggression. It's only partly the fouls on the pitch or willingness to tackle hard but fair, that happens everywhere I believe, but more so it's the off the ball verbals, threats of physical violence and occassional actual violence that surprises them. Unfortunately from my experience this caused a lot of good players to not want to play anymore.

I don't think it's due to coaching though but possibility the fact in England football is very much a working class sport. At professional youth level I would expect if there is more aggression or foul play then it's possibility some element of that, but also the fact these kids are striving to become professionals in the most competitive, high tempo league in the world. The Blackburn players will earn a hell of a lot less than our lads, they will have less expensive facilities, they will want to get one over a Manchester United team even though it's "only" at youth level, they will want to "prove a point", and most importantly they will want to get a result. The only way to beat a more technically talented side is to be more aggressive, more assertive, stronger, quicker. If the ref is letting you get away with it, players keep pushing the boundary of what's acceptable.

GledTheRed

Oh you just couldn’t ignore me :lol: How blessed am I....
I’d suggest you learn about this being a discussion form and there’s no need to insult people you don’t agree with.
Been here 15 years.

I called him a moron as he came at me for no need, similar to yourself.