UAP - Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon

giggs-beckham

Clueless
How so? As far as I know, antimatter is just ordinary matter with a negative charge. It's still got the same mass as the ordinary particles. Are there any credible (relatively speaking, of course) hypotheses about using antimatter for wormholes?
Not as far as I know personally I just heard Neil Degrasse tyson mention it on Infinite monkey cage and have heard similar in documentaries.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Unless you would would uncritically believe a random person today who claimed on TikTok to have seen a UFO, why would you uncritically believe accounts from people who had a vastly worse understanding than us of how the world works? And that's if you start out by assuming they're supposed to show aliens, which there's pretty much no evidence for.

If you're going to believe them when they tell you aliens visited them, you also have to believe them when they tell you the mountain god eats the sun during eclipses, or that the lightning striking near their cave was evidence of the sky god's displeasure with their lack of human sacrifice.
:lol:

It's funny and true.

Shez

From the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

"“Teasers are usually rich kids with nothing to do. They cruise around looking for planets that haven’t made interstellar contact yet and buzz them.” “Buzz them?” Arthur began to feel that Ford was enjoying making life difficult for him. “Yeah,” said Ford, “they buzz them. They find some isolated spot with very few people around, then land right by some poor unsuspecting soul whom no one’s ever going to believe and then strut up and down in front of him wearing silly antennas on their head and making beep beep noises.”
This needed more love

nickm

Science is full of 'almost impossible' things becoming a reality. What's the true odds of you being born? It's ridiculously small yet you're here. Nobody has a clue what the probability of us being visited by an extra terrestrial species is, it's pure speculation.
That's not the way it works. The odds of a specific person in particular being born are millions to one. But the odds of someone being born are as close to 100% as you can get. Hence, people.

Last edited:

nickm

Einstein's theory of general relativity, which has proven remarkably accurate in describing the fabric of space-time, allows for the existence of wormholes / white holes. They are yet to be discovered or observed, so we don't know if they even exist. But they are a compelling part of his equations that suggest the folding of space is possible.

Several scientists don't actually discard the possibility of travelling through them, the disagreement is if you can travel through time using them as Einsteins equations claim.

My point wasn't to claim aliens travelled to us using wormholes, just that it is possible according to our most accepted theories.
"Possible" is doing a lot of heavy lifting. In order for it to be "possible" you need material like negative mass, that only exists in theory, has never been observed, isn't detectable by any proposed means and isn't needed to make any sums add up anywhere else.

nickm

Antimatter
Antimatter (the anti electron) was a prediction that resulted from the unification of relativity and quantum mechanics. Its discovery proved the unification was right.

Negative mass isn't a prediction, it's a construct designed to make the equations of relativity perform in unobserved but convenient ways. There's no evidence for it or physics-need for it anywhere else. It's a speculation not a prediction. Nothing rules it out, but nothing rules it in either. (Also, you need a lot of it, like several times the (negative) mass of the sun).

Last edited:

luke511

That's not the way it works. The odds of a specific person in particular being born are millions to one. But the odds of someone being born are as close to 100% as you can get. Hence, people.
The emergence of people is part of the probability, stretching back as far as the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs hitting Earth.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
There’s literally clues everywhere about them visiting earth through cave paintings; centuries old art etc
Why would they keep secretly visiting for hundreds of years? Never doing anything apart from having a quick fly around then fecking off. It doesn't make any sense.

luke511

Why would they keep secretly visiting for hundreds of years? Never doing anything apart from having a quick fly around then fecking off. It doesn't make any sense.
Studying how life evolves on other planets would be incredibly educational, and could help answer the some of the most fundamental questions. It would explain why they would stay out of reaching distance and as unknown as possible too, as I presume things would become a lot less interesting for them if their evolution interfered with ours. Imagine if the romans were taught the ins and outs and got hold of state of the art space gear?

giggs-beckham

Clueless
That's what he's saying no?

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Antimatter (the anti electron) was a prediction that resulted from the unification of relativity and quantum mechanics. Its discovery proved the unification was right.

Negative mass isn't a prediction, it's a construct designed to make the equations of relativity perform in unobserved but convenient ways. There's no evidence for it or physics-need for it anywhere else. It's a speculation not a prediction. Nothing rules it out, but nothing rules it in either. (Also, you need a lot of it, like several times the (negative) mass of the sun).
Do you mean to say that antimatter confirms the grand unified theory?

nimic

something nice
Scout
Studying how life evolves on other planets would be incredibly educational, and could help answer the some of the most fundamental questions. It would explain why they would stay out of reaching distance and as unknown as possible too, as I presume things would become a lot less interesting for them if their evolution interfered with ours. Imagine if the romans were taught the ins and outs and got hold of state of the art space gear?
If their goal was to stay out of distance and as unknown as possible, they've sure done a terrible job at it for an ultra-advanced interstellar civilization. Either these are some pretty incompetent aliens, or the ones that this thread is about aren't aliens at all. That doesn't invalidate your hypothesis of course, it just means it has nothing to do with UFO sightings.

luke511

If their goal was to stay out of distance and as unknown as possible, they've sure done a terrible job at it for an ultra-advanced interstellar civilization. Either these are some pretty incompetent aliens, or the ones that this thread is about aren't aliens at all. That doesn't invalidate your hypothesis of course, it just means it has nothing to do with UFO sightings.
If they are extraterrestrial then I think the technology has served its task. The visual evidence isn’t enough to prove to the masses they exist and their evolution hasn’t interfered with ours.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
People are still close minded, we’ve all been brainwashed to think it’s impossible when clearly it’s not impossible

nimic

something nice
Scout
People are still close minded, we’ve all been brainwashed to think it’s impossible when clearly it’s not impossible
It's not my brainwashing that makes me a skeptic, it's the fact that you haven't provided any evidence at all for your extraordinary claims. You might as well be claiming the Earth is flat. They use the same kind of closed-minded, brainwashed language, by the way.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Why does it make someone close minded just because they disagree? Gotta say you're really surprising me here Geebs. You'll be trotting out the "critical thinker" and sheep lines next.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Why does it make someone close minded just because they disagree? Gotta say you're really surprising me here Geebs. You'll be trotting out the "critical thinker" and sheep lines next.
:lol: Nah man. But I’ve always been a believer ever since I saw something in the sky when i was about 11 or 12. The more I read on the subject the more I believe it to be true. More and more documents are being unclassified all the time which include interesting accounts that were held back from public consumption for decades.
anyways clearly I’m in the minority here so I’ll give it a rest.

Redlambs

What's close minded about requiring evidence?

It's the other way round, only one side of the debate has people absolute in their belief which is not helped by classic kook language.

If we can't use reasoning and logic in such a debate but can use blurry images, anecdotes and cave paintings, then we might as well just all switch our brains off :lol:

RedRover

:lol: Nah man. But I’ve always been a believer ever since I saw something in the sky when i was about 11 or 12. The more I read on the subject the more I believe it to be true. More and more documents are being unclassified all the time which include interesting accounts that were held back from public consumption for decades.
I've always considered myself to be rational and I'm not prone to flights of fancy, but the more I read on this (for entertainment purposes, because I find it interesting and a bit frightening, to think that we're not alone) the more I question whether there's something in this.

Whilst obviously there's a lot of bollocks and a lot of professional "believers" making a tidy living off it online/on podcasts etc. some very credible whistle-blowers are now in the public domain who seem not to claim that aliens exist, but that there's a phenomena, which cannot be explained, that they've either witnessed (David Fravor is an interesting one), or have second hand evidence of, having talked to people involved in classified programs researching this stuff.

I believe that there are things flying around which can't be explained, at least by the average individual. Whether they're "extra-terrestrial" or high tech weapons developed by humans, who knows.

RedRover

What's close minded about requiring evidence?

It's the other way round, only one side of the debate has people absolute in their belief which is not helped by classic kook language.

If we can't use reasoning and logic in such a debate but can use blurry images, anecdotes and cave paintings, then we might as well just all switch our brains off :lol:
What's interesting is that this all seems to have changed over the last year or so. In the US, the people bringing this to Senate Committees are not "believers" - in some cases they're very high level government employees with top secret security clearances, or top-ranking fighter pilots with masters degrees in physics. On the face of it, they're credible people, and are asking the question of "what is this stuff"?

It's fascinating to think about whether this stuff is real and if so, whether it's just very advanced human tech.

Redlambs

What's interesting is that this all seems to have changed over the last year or so. In the US, the people bringing this to Senate Committees are not "believers" - in some cases they're very high level government employees with top secret security clearances, or top-ranking fighter pilots with masters degrees in physics. On the face of it, they're credible people, and are asking the question of "what is this stuff"?

It's fascinating to think about whether this stuff is real and if so, whether it's just very advanced human tech.
It is definitely an interesting time. Though I wish it wasn't the US involved, as the way it works over there makes these people a lot less credible right away :lol:

nickm

I know people who got religion because they think they saw an angel.

nickm

I've always considered myself to be rational and I'm not prone to flights of fancy, but the more I read on this (for entertainment purposes, because I find it interesting and a bit frightening, to think that we're not alone) the more I question whether there's something in this.

Whilst obviously there's a lot of bollocks and a lot of professional "believers" making a tidy living off it online/on podcasts etc. some very credible whistle-blowers are now in the public domain who seem not to claim that aliens exist, but that there's a phenomena, which cannot be explained, that they've either witnessed (David Fravor is an interesting one), or have second hand evidence of, having talked to people involved in classified programs researching this stuff.

I believe that there are things flying around which can't be explained, at least by the average individual. Whether they're "extra-terrestrial" or high tech weapons developed by humans, who knows.
Been nearly a century of this stuff and it still amounts to either, someone saw something they can't explain, or someone told someone they saw something they can't explain. It's just not enough.

RedRover

Been nearly a century of this stuff and it still amounts to either, someone saw something they can't explain, or someone told someone they saw something they can't explain. It's just not enough.
I personally think there's a difference between a random farmer or member of the public witnessing it, and some of the characters here.

I stumbled across this reading about David Fravor, and it piqued my interest because he is pretty credible because he's not a typical "believer" - look him up. Proper military man and Commander of the Black Aces. He didn't really tell anyone about what he saw for years, and seemingly hasn't really made any attempts to monetise himself. He doesn't say that Aliens exist, just that what he saw can't be explained by any understanding he has. There's another guy similar (Ryan Graves) who has a masters degree in physics (or similar, can't find it online) reporting the same thing - unexplainable craft that moves like nothing he's ever seen.

These are not people on the lunatic fringe. The latest, Grusch - who was a highly decorated intelligence officer, says he's been targeted and encouraged to keep quiet and has ruined his career.

It doesn't amount to any confirmation of anything, but it's interesting. Some of the videos officially released by the US Government are bizarre, and nobody seems to be able to explain them adequately. I personally think there is something not like anything we've seen before flying about. Where it's extra-terrestrial or not, is a different question.

nickm

There’s people in this very thread saying it’s impossible but my point is that they are basing that on human knowledge
The problem is you have to assume to huge number of unknown things to make that slim chance of it being maybe possible come up. And all that tower of implausible guesswork is there to do, is permit something that there's no really good evidence for. Hence why it needs to be provable.

is it impossible? Well, it's not impossible that all the atoms the universe will jump to the right all at the same time. But it is fantastically, unbelievably unlikely. Can you use the word impossible for something super low probability like that? I guess, in an everyday sense, yes.

Last edited:

nickm

I personally think there's a difference between a random farmer or member of the public witnessing it, and some of the characters here.

I stumbled across this reading about David Fravor, and it piqued my interest because he is pretty credible because he's not a typical "believer" - look him up. Proper military man and Commander of the Black Aces. He didn't really tell anyone about what he saw for years, and seemingly hasn't really made any attempts to monetise himself. He doesn't say that Aliens exist, just that what he saw can't be explained by any understanding he has. There's another guy similar (Ryan Graves) who has a masters degree in physics (or similar, can't find it online) reporting the same thing - unexplainable craft that moves like nothing he's ever seen.

These are not people on the lunatic fringe. The latest, Grusch - who was a highly decorated intelligence officer, says he's been targeted and encouraged to keep quiet and has ruined his career.

It doesn't amount to any confirmation of anything, but it's interesting. Some of the videos officially released by the US Government are bizarre, and nobody seems to be able to explain them adequately. I personally think there is something not like anything we've seen before flying about. Where it's extra-terrestrial or not, is a different question.
Eyewitness evidence alone is worthless. Even from experts (whose expertise might not always be as applicable to the phenomenon as you might think). All anyone can really say is they don't know what they saw. And even with the recent videos (many explained immediately as soon as the right kind of professional saw them), it's still the same kind of blurry photo type evidence we've always had. Where's the weird material? The device that does something in some way that nobody can explain? You think something would have turned up by now. Until then, UFOs are just ghost stories for people who quite like technology, IMO.

Last edited: