UAP - Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
One of my biggest bugbears about all these talking heads - they discuss our physical reality and how these things break it, despite not being high-level physicists. None of them come close to grasping the ideas that go into m-theory etc., so why do they act like they do? $$$

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
One of my biggest bugbears about all these talking heads - they discuss our physical reality and how these things break it, despite not being high-level physicists. None of them come close to grasping the ideas that go into m-theory etc., so why do they act like they do? $$$
And none of the m-theorists have a clue either

dinostar77

i presume they talked to the best and brightest in their respective fields when they were working on this and the best and brightest havent a clue either?

Bert_

Do people grasping theoretical ideas not make $$$? I would have thought advocating any abstract theory would get you far more hits on youtube than regurgitating the boring stuff.

dinostar77

You mean this guy...

r/ufo was abuzz waiting for him to make his presentation at the SOL Conference. Someone took a screengrab of the disclosure timetable and posted it on r/ufo. The Conference weren't happy about that. As they had a strict no phones policy.

If ive learnt anything recently, its that the military dont advertise well enough that they will pay for your masters or phD. Should have told me that at 16 years old. i would have signed up.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You mean this guy...

r/ufo was abuzz waiting for him to make his presentation at the SOL Conference. Someone took a screengrab of the disclosure timetable and posted it on r/ufo. The Conference weren't happy about that. As they had a strict no phones policy.

If ive learnt anything recently, its that the military dont advertise well enough that they will pay for your masters or phD. Should have told me that at 16 years old. i would have signed up.
Wow impressive work history!

im gonna say that within 5 years I think it will be widely put out there that we aren’t alone in this universe and have been visited many times.

dinostar77

im gonna say that within 5 years I think it will be widely put out there that we aren’t alone in this universe and have been visited many times.
Apparently 'disclosure' depends on whether the schumer ammendment makes it through under the Defence Authorization Act of 2024.

Apparently powerful people on the hill want it torpedoed. Apparently if it does get through under the defence act then initial disclosure would be in 1 - 6 years and the more difficult stuff maybe by the 2040's. Theres alot of discussion about it on r/ufo.

Christopher Mellon wrote a piece for The Debrief on whether Disclosure would be in best interests of US national security.

Apparently, there is some concern that the US could lose control of the narrative, if Russia or China were to disclose to the world first.

https://thedebrief.org/disclosure-a...-s-government-reveal-what-it-knows-about-uap/

Also Grusch appeared on Joe Rogan podcast. Which was a interesting listen.

Crazy times we live in. Maybe we could sign the alpha centuri version of lionel messi to come score 80 goals a season for us :lol:

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

I will take that bet. There will be no conclusive and clear cut evidence found that we have been visited even once. We wont discover verifiable proof of intelligent alien life, it wont happen in your lifetime. I do think one day we will find that proof but that day is stll a long way off. The science shows us that.

golden_blunder

Staff
I will take that bet. There will be no conclusive and clear cut evidence found that we have been visited even once. We wont discover verifiable proof of intelligent alien life, it wont happen in your lifetime. I do think one day we will find that proof but that day is stll a long way off. The science shows us that.
What if that evidence is already here but not being shared? That general has already said that they have back engineered alien aircraft

Stack

What if that evidence is already here but not being shared? That general has already said that they have back engineered alien aircraft
Thats a huge what if. Especially if the actual science we know is considered.

The distances are mind numbingly massive in space. We know with reasonable certainty that light speed travel is pretty much impossible. Even if intelligent lifeforms have the ability to travel at significantly faster speeds than we can those distances still remain so incredibly huge. Add in the issue of signal attenuation that intelligent life form signals will experience as they travel through just our own galaxy and hearing alien transmissions also becomes a major problem. Our own radio and tv signals that we have been putting out into space for 100 years have still only travelled in galactic terms a tiny tiny distance.

A general has said they have already back engineered and alien craft.
Thats what you are pinning your hopes on? I would love it to be true and am absolutely sure there are many many places in space where intelligent life exists, more advanced than our own

You need to weigh up the hard science involved versus the possibility that a human might be acting in the manner with humans sometimes do, the conscious or unconscious desire for attention. He might well be telling the truth but the possibility he is either deranged or seeking attention for me is easily swamped by the science involved.

Its not just the distances that are problematic. Its the size of the time scales. There are tons of great videos or articles on line which explain the massive distances and also the massive timescales and the significant difficulties in time lines involved.

I am absolutely sure intelligent life exists elsewhere, I am a long long way from convinced that we have ever been visited or will be in the near future.

golden_blunder

Staff
Thats a huge what if. Especially if the actual science we know is considered.

The distances are mind numbingly massive in space. We know with reasonable certainty that light speed travel is pretty much impossible. Even if intelligent lifeforms have the ability to travel at significantly faster speeds than we can those distances still remain so incredibly huge. Add in the issue of signal attenuation that intelligent life form signals will experience as they travel through just our own galaxy and hearing alien transmissions also becomes a major problem. Our own radio and tv signals that we have been putting out into space for 100 years have still only travelled in galactic terms a tiny tiny distance.

A general has said they have already back engineered and alien craft.
Thats what you are pinning your hopes on? I would love it to be true and am absolutely sure there are many many places in space where intelligent life exists, more advanced than our own

You need to weigh up the hard science involved versus the possibility that a human might be acting in the manner with humans sometimes do, the conscious or unconscious desire for attention. He might well be telling the truth but the possibility he is either deranged or seeking attention for me is easily swamped by the science involved.

Its not just the distances that are problematic. Its the size of the time scales. There are tons of great videos or articles on line which explain the massive distances and also the massive timescales and the significant difficulties in time lines involved.

I am absolutely sure intelligent life exists elsewhere, I am a long long way from convinced that we have ever been visited or will be in the near future.
I understand where you’re coming from and I am making an assumption here that whoever exists out there has a vastly superior knowledge of science, engineering etc than we do and have worked out how to jump to our planet rather than conventional travel. Assumption I know but I do believe that we’re not alone and we are visited so that kind of technology is what makes sense to me. I think that there’s a lot more that we do not understand about our universe yet (never mind dimensional)

Stack

I understand where you’re coming from and I am making an assumption here that whoever exists out there has a vastly superior knowledge of science, engineering etc than we do and have worked out how to jump to our planet rather than conventional travel. Assumption I know but I do believe that we’re not alone and we are visited so that kind of technology is what makes sense to me. I think that there’s a lot more that we do not understand about our universe yet (never mind dimensional)
I genuinely hope you are right. I would love to be proved wrong here.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I agree. I think the biggest mistake we make is applying science and principles, as we know and understand them, and think every other life form out there is bound by them. I'm far from a science boffin or anything like that, but look how often in our short history we have had to revise our understanding of certain scientific principles etc. Yet now we think we've got it cracked.

Of course we can only work with what we know, but it's pretty ignorant to think this way. It could well be that even the factors required for life itself aren't even universal. Perhaps if you travel far enough there are lifeforms that live thousands of years, don't breathe oxygen (may not even know what it is) etc. If you throw our understanding of evolution into the mix and apply it to other potential planets that could have life that has been around for millions of years, that just muddies the waters further.

Stack

The idea that our understanding of science means we have limited knowledge and an alien life form could know of science we have no understanding of is valid.
The idea that where are all the Aliens holds as much strength.

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The vastly superior knowledge of science as you say still has to operate within the universal laws of physics.
These are not our laws of physics but those which operate across the universe.

Of course I am not saying that humanity knows everything about everything. Because we certainly don't.
But we do know a reasonable amount about how things work and why.

Not sure what you mean by.... jump to our planet....

nimic

something nice
Scout
Of course we can only work with what we know, but it's pretty ignorant to think this way. It could well be that even the factors required for life itself aren't even universal. Perhaps if you travel far enough there are lifeforms that live thousands of years, don't breathe oxygen (may not even know what it is) etc. If you throw our understanding of evolution into the mix and apply it to other potential planets that could have life that has been around for millions of years, that just muddies the waters further.
You can do this, of course, but let's not kid ourselves and call it anything more than fantasies at that point. Anything more serious than that has to be based in what we think we know. If anything is possible, then your speculation is just as valid as the next guy, and the next guy, and they could all be wildly different. That's just soft science fiction at that point, and it gets old quickly if everyone has their own.

golden_blunder

Staff
The vastly superior knowledge of science as you say still has to operate within the universal laws of physics.

Of course I am not saying that humanity knows everything about everything. Because we certainly don't.

Think Star Trek or Star Wars

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
You can do this, of course, but let's not kid ourselves and call it anything more than fantasies at that point. Anything more serious than that has to be based in what we think we know. If anything is possible, then your speculation is just as valid as the next guy, and the next guy, and they could all be wildly different. That's just soft science fiction at that point, and it gets old quickly if everyone has their own.
It's true though, isn't it. We're still learning new things every day. Relatively speaking it was only recently that we started to understand gravity and practically everything we know. I'd say we've barely scratched the surface, and at some point will probably realise that a lot of what we believe is either wrong or somewhat limited in how it is to be applied as our knowledge is only limited to begin with.

All I'm saying is that our data and observation is limited to our environment, planet, surrounding galaxy etc. But the further we get away, the more limited our knowledge seems to be. So it just bugs me when people talk about what is possible in such absolute terms.

Stack

It's true though, isn't it. We're still learning new things every day. Relatively speaking it was only recently that we started to understand gravity and practically everything we know. I'd say we've barely scratched the surface, and at some point will probably realise that a lot of what we believe is either wrong or somewhat limited in how it is to be applied as our knowledge is only limited to begin with.

All I'm saying is that our data and observation is limited to our environment, planet, surrounding galaxy etc. But the further we get away, the more limited our knowledge seems to be. So it just bugs me when people talk about what is possible in such absolute terms.
There are some things we do know with certainty. Some of those things provide a level of certainty with respect to our ability to find other life and more importantly our level of understanding of time, distances, and time frames.

The things I am sure of are the ones revolving around the disgustingly massive and almost incomprehensible distances involved even within our own Galaxy, the massive time scales and the synchronicity of time frames with us and other civilisations existing or being able to connect. The probabilities are incredibly small. Not acknowledging those practicalities and relying on the theory of what we dont yet know to solve all the major issues is naive.

The big one is the belief that one day we will find a way to jump time and space or that aliens have already worked that out. Thats hopeful thinking based on the belief that the things we dont know will be the things that solve that problem.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
There are some things we do know with certainty. Some of those things provide a level of certainty with respect to our ability to find other life and more importantly our level of understanding of time, distances, and time frames.

The things I am sure of are the ones revolving around the disgustingly massive and almost incomprehensible distances involved even within our own Galaxy, the massive time scales and the synchronicity of time frames with us and other civilisations existing or being able to connect. The probabilities are incredibly small. Not acknowledging those practicalities and relying on the theory of what we dont yet know to solve all the major issues is naive.

The big one is the belief that one day we will find a way to jump time and space or that aliens have already worked that out. Thats hopeful thinking based on the belief that the things we dont know will be the things that solve that problem.
Yes exactly my view as well.

Smores

I think it's fair to say the amount of times we've thought we know a reasonable amount and that's turned out to be true is precisely zero. It's a false confidence given by progress moving so slow that it feels fairly static within ones lifetime.

In 10,000 years (if somehow we've survived) then chances are we won't have the same certainties. I think probabilities is a daft topic for a UAP discussion but if it is being discussed we do need to factor in we probably know very little about very little.

nimic

something nice
Scout
How do you explain the UFO that have been seen by lots in various parts of the world?
Which ones? Every single one has an alternative explanation. And I'm sure that in most cases you too believe those alternative explanations, or else you'd have to believe that aliens have crossed interstellar space only to be spotted hundreds of thousands of times. So he just takes the rationale you would use to disbelieve most of them and extends it to the rest.

golden_blunder

Staff
Which ones? Every single one has an alternative explanation. And I'm sure that in most cases you too believe those alternative explanations, or else you'd have to believe that aliens have crossed interstellar space only to be spotted hundreds of thousands of times. So he just takes the rationale you would use to disbelieve most of them and extends it to the rest.
Every single one has an explanation? Really?

how about those recovered and were not of this world?

nimic

something nice
Scout
Every single one has an explanation? Really?

how about those recovered and were not of this world?
They all have rational possible explanations, yes. That doesn't mean they have confirmed explanations, but it's a lot easier to just go "UFO" than to prove that it isn't one.

I'm not aware of any UFOs that were recovered and proven not of this world.

golden_blunder

Staff
They all have rational possible explanations, yes. That doesn't mean they have confirmed explanations, but it's a lot easier to just go "UFO" than to prove that it isn't one.

I'm not aware of any UFOs that were recovered and proven not of this world.
Was a statement by one of the US generals with an impeccable record