UEFA Champions League Quarter-final Draw | Man City v Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I can see why you guys want to be seen as relevant but it’s not borne out by reality.

United fans practically had City scarves on in the run in for the 2014 league title. That’s how little it meant.

Your success is seen as illegitimate and therefore meaningless. Like a sort of ‘default mode’ when a proper non doped club can’t win it that year.

Liverpool winning would be real and horrific. And a truly exceptional achievement to be fair.

They won’t though. You’ll finish the tie at Anfield. All this Anfield atmosphere stuff is pure garbage these days. They’ll wave a few flags and sing the karaoke version of YAWN at the start, then slowly recede into silence as City sterilise the game.
City haven’t won at Anfield since 2003. They’ll get a draw at best imo then the tie will be decided at their place.

City are clear favourites.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
City haven’t won at Anfield since 2003. They’ll get a draw at best imo then the tie will be decided at their place.

City are clear favourites.
Beating City in 2004 isn’t the same as beating City in 2018, so stats like that are irrelevant. That said I think Anfield will be a hell of a game, can’t wait to see how we approach it this time. Having D.Silva in the side will be a big bonus from last time, he’s one of the best at keeping the ball and that’s what you need through the Liverpool press. I’d start B.Silva instead of Sterling too, another who doesn’t lose the ball, and Sterling has shown before that it’s not the game for him.

Acole9

Outstanding
At least one of them will be going out in the next round, best outcome.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Beating City in 2004 isn’t the same as beating City in 2018, so stats like that are irrelevant. That said I think Anfield will be a hell of a game, can’t wait to see how we approach it this time. Having D.Silva in the side will be a big bonus from last time, he’s one of the best at keeping the ball and that’s what you need through the Liverpool press. I’d start B.Silva instead of Sterling too, another who doesn’t lose the ball, and Sterling has shown before that it’s not the game for him.
Surprised that Sterling gets frazzled by Anfield.

Jesus has to start also. With Aguero, you might as well be playing with 10 men when Liverpool have the ball.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Of course but you’ve been poor at Anfield for years, even when we’ve been crap and you’ve been flying. I think it’s becoming a bit of a mental block for you.

That being said, you’ve got better players than us and a better manager. Over two legs it’s hard to see us beating you.

Hopefully Mane keeps his feet on the floor this time at the Etihad!

beep

Odd though that you’re the one bringing it up (unless you’re a closet Liverpool fan). Come out mate it’s 2018. :)
No. I've not got enough of a victim mentality. Thanks anyway though.

Jamie L

Supports
Liverpool
No. I've not got enough of a victim mentality. Thanks anyway though.
I hate tasteless posts like this. Where do you think that tag (I won’t dignify it by naming it actually comes from)?

My original reply was in jest, I would’ve thought that was obvious. Yours is worthy of the lazily, vile nonsense posted on Bluemoon, or even RAWK at it’s worst.

Before you come back with something glib, do me (and yourself) a favour and think about the two human tragedies that occurred which give that tag such a horrible tinge.

I know (I would hope) you were just being unthinking, but there are plenty of Liverpool tags with actual humour that you can fire off with a bit of wit.

Ps- I’m sure you’re a decent type and meant’ nothing by it, but, there are better things to say to take the mick.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveJ

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
The return of Silva will make it very difficult for us. City’s record at Anfield counts for nothing as this is CL and there is a different look about this City side. We will need to play two of our best games to get through and lets hope that some ref doesn’t balls it up.

LFCKop

Supports
Liverpool
City's dismal record at Anfield won't matter. With Silva back they have enough firepower in their ranks to destroy us.
I think at Anfield, Klopp will setup a team similar to one he set up against united earlier in the season at Anfield. i.e. not to concede and nick a goal on counter.
However, we will have go at them at Etihad. Though we lost to them last time 5-0, we have managed some good wins there in last few seasons.City are overwhelming favorite and we'll have to be at our best.
If we manage to beat City then I believe we will have a good chance to reach final.

gibers

City's dismal record at Anfield won't matter. With Silva back they have enough firepower in their ranks to destroy us.
I think at Anfield, Klopp will setup a team similar to one he set up against united earlier in the season at Anfield. i.e. not to concede and nick a goal on counter.
However, we will have go at them at Etihad. Though we lost to them last time 5-0, we have managed some good wins there in last few seasons.City are overwhelming favorite and we'll have to be at our best.
If we manage to beat City then I believe we will have a good chance to reach final.
Also with Jesus back as well they will have a much better chance than with Aguero. For me that's one of the big misses in the last games

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Liverpool are no where near as organised as City are from back to front

It would really be a big upset if Liverpool pulled it off and advanced over City imo

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool are no where near as organised as City are from back to front

It would really be a big upset if Liverpool pulled it off and advanced over City imo
As a Liverpool fan, I would agree with you completely and City must be clear favourites to progress but football isn’t always obedient to rational. The same circumstances existed in 2005 when we played Chelsea in semi’s.
There is always a hope with Liverpool while City will probably have more of an expectancy.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Will Aguero be out for the two legs? He always loves playing, and scoring :mad:, against us.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
As a Liverpool fan, I would agree with you completely and City must be clear favourites to progress but football isn’t always obedient to rational. The same circumstances existed in 2005 when we played Chelsea in semi’s.
There is always a hope with Liverpool while City will probably have more of an expectancy.
Yeah football is unpredictable

Saying that Liverpool are one of the worst teams to play when they are on a good day, Liverpool have the ability to blow any team out of the water on their day so City do have to be at their best to advance, it won't be a walk in the part for them

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Will Aguero be out for the two legs? He always loves playing, and scoring :mad:, against us.
Nah he should be back for the Everton game but I don't expect he'll play at Anfield, think most people expect Jesus to start that one

Fish in kettles

Supports
Man City
I think it's a dreadful draw, in all honesty, especially either side of the derby. But the big difference for me this time is that we'll have Silva. We really, really missed him at Anfield earlier in the season and we never had control of the game with Gundogan in there. It'll be difficult at Anfield but I can't see us collapsing again.
If he gets injured now I'll be coming after you :lol:

Fish in kettles

Supports
Man City
If the front 6 is;

Ferdi Silva KDB
Silva Jesus Sane

they may well end up with 80 percent possession at Anfield, they problems are, what will Liverpool do with the other 20 percent and who will score for City? Could see it failing to live up to the goalfest tag it already has.

Put in Sterling Aguero and Gundogan and its 6-4

City probably want to put an electronic tag on Walker that shocks him if he goes over the half way line.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The issue for us is - How long can we go without slipping up? Our vulnerability at rightback is going to hurt us at some point in this competition, as will our lack of resilience in midfield. Do we have enough in other areas to make it through with that over 450+ minutes?

A lot of it will come down to timing - If we can get our goals first, we have a decent chance. We'll need some stars to align though.

I think pep will come to anfield packed - probably be their most defensive display this season. At least, that would be the smart play. If they come to anfield looking to play, we'll have a grand time.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
The issue for us is - How long can we go without slipping up? Our vulnerability at rightback is going to hurt us at some point in this competition, as will our lack of resilience in midfield. Do we have enough in other areas to make it through with that over 450+ minutes?

A lot of it will come down to timing - If we can get our goals first, we have a decent chance. We'll need some stars to align though.

I think pep will come to anfield packed - probably be their most defensive display this season. At least, that would be the smart play. If they come to anfield looking to play, we'll have a grand time.
It's going to be a huge test and I wish the second leg was at Anfield instead. Silva being back for them will make for a completely different match to what it was in January

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero

Didn't they almost come back for the draw last time, though? How were City set up then? I don't remember reading about how they played defensively or compact.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Didn't they almost come back for the draw last time, though? How were City set up then? I don't remember reading about how they played defensively or compact.
we came to play last time, and were looking more like going ahead until we conceded a stupid goal then and had a stupid 10 mins, could go either way and I don't see us as such big favorites as some are making out, hopefully (if fit) having Kompany and Silva back will give us the edge.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
City was by far the last team I wanted to draw. They're better than us and we already face them twice a season in the league.

TheReligion

Abusive

You beat them 4-3.

I'm sure they'd settle for 3 away goals.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
:lol:
I've just had a look, there's about 200 seats still available. The game, which doesn't actually take place for another two weeks, will be sold out in the next couple of hours. Seems a bit of non-story to me.

Steve79

I've got a ticket for the home end in the second leg, I figure either way I can have some fun at their expense....

cyberman

I read its slow because City are offering them to Manchester based fans and rolling it out from there?
Although they really should be gone by now if we're being honest.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
I read its slow because City are offering them to Manchester based fans and rolling it out from there?
Although they really should be gone by now if we're being honest.
Tickets were only being sold to those who had a history of attending games. As for your second sentence I wasn't aware that 'speed of ticket sales' was an actual thing to be proud/embarrassed about.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
When was the last time a game that 'sold out' didn't have a significant amount of empty seats at the Etihad?

And tickets going on general sale for a CL quarter final is unusual. Utd and Arsenal almost never go on general sale, and when they do it's usually a league cup game, or dead rubber at the end of the season.

Steve79

When was the last time a game that 'sold out' didn't have a significant amount of empty seats at the Etihad?

And tickets going on general sale for a CL quarter final is unusual. Utd and Arsenal almost never go on general sale, and when they do it's usually a league cup game, or dead rubber at the end of the season.
They may have money but they will never be a big club! Can you imagine United or Liverpool not selling out a game like this? They are tin pot and always will be!

cyberman

@el magico
I don't think I said that?
Yes, slow ticket sales for the biggest game of your season does carry a hint of embarrassment.
I can't wait until your fanbase explains why your income and fanbase are exploding when your next financials are released. The hunger for City games are (slowly, why should we be embarrassed?) taking over world football.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
I'm sure it'll sell out eventually, but it's a bit mental to think it's not sold out much quicker. It's arguably the biggest game in their history.
How can a Quarter Final in the CL be the biggest game in our history? That’s mental. The fixture wouldn’t even make my top 5 in the last few years. I’d put every cup final we’ve had higher than this and both PL wins. Get to the final and then you’ve got a case. The pressure of winning our first PL after the investment was higher than the current pressure of winning the CL, we’ve walked the league and already won a cup so the pressure is actually very much off.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
How can a Quarter Final in the CL be the biggest game in our history? That’s mental. The fixture wouldn’t even make my top 5 in the last few years. I’d put every cup final we’ve had higher than this and both PL wins. Get to the final and then you’ve got a case. The pressure of winning our first PL after the investment was higher than the current pressure of winning the CL, we’ve walked the league and already won a cup so the pressure is actually very much off.
I swear i'm trying to understand this post but i just can't :wenger:

Status
Not open for further replies.