UEFA Champions League Quarter-final Draw | Man City v Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapardin

The issue for us is - How long can we go without slipping up? Our vulnerability at rightback is going to hurt us at some point in this competition, as will our lack of resilience in midfield. Do we have enough in other areas to make it through with that over 450+ minutes?

A lot of it will come down to timing - If we can get our goals first, we have a decent chance. We'll need some stars to align though.

I think pep will come to anfield packed - probably be their most defensive display this season. At least, that would be the smart play. If they come to anfield looking to play, we'll have a grand time.
Wrong. This is not a league game where 3 points is all that matters. Here, away goals are crucial. Fact is, your defense is not good enough to keep a clean sheet if City come out attacking. Yes, you may win 4-3 or even 5-3 (doubt it though, I expect 3-1 if Liverpool are really, really good). But Guardiola will be happy with the away goals as he can set up a defense better than you can at the Etihad. His possession game should ensure his attackers have the ball and can score.

I expect the reverse of what you think. City will come out swinging at Anfield. Silva being back is a boost. They will lose 3-2 quite happily as they can easily win 2-1 at the Etihad and progress.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
:lol: Holy shit, I was trying to remember who you guys got matched up against before remembering you got knocked out. Sevilla ffs, unbelievable. I think my mind just can't process that or something.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Wrong. This is not a league game where 3 points is all that matters. Here, away goals are crucial. Fact is, your defense is not good enough to keep a clean sheet if City come out attacking. Yes, you may win 4-3 or even 5-3 (doubt it though, I expect 3-1 if Liverpool are really, really good). But Guardiola will be happy with the away goals as he can set up a defense better than you can at the Etihad. His possession game should ensure his attackers have the ball and can score.

I expect the reverse of what you think. City will come out swinging at Anfield. Silva being back is a boost. They will lose 3-2 quite happily as they can easily win 2-1 at the Etihad and progress.
Don't tell me you are one of those who think losing the first leg 3-2 away is better than drawing 0-0.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
3-2 is technically 3-4 to City.

Runs away
No it’s not. Away goals only count double in the event of a tie after second leg. 3-2 would be very good for city and is a highly possible result but any draw in the return would see us thru.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
City struggling to sell out the Etihad for this is hilarious. I suspect there will be pockets of LFC fans dotted around their ground.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
My big fear for this tie is right back. Gomez is injured, Clyne not match fit after a long lay off and Alexander Arnold is talented but isn't ready for a game of this caliber. He's been exposed a few times defensively - most recently at Old Trafford.

Except for that, we have had Man City's number for years and they haven't won at Anfield in about 20. The Etihad is a rather familiar, sedate place to play compared to some of the cauldrons we could have gone to.

JohnnyKills

Ugh. SIX times? Shitty all the way, it will have been bought with a bottomless pit of money and no one outside of their fans will give a shit.

I don't think either will win it, anyway, so it's moot. Still, you deserve a banner for that.
This. A Liverpool CL win would be a genuine, significant triumph. A City win would carry all the weight of Ben Johnson's 1988 Olympic victory.

JohnnyKills

I hate tasteless posts like this. Where do you think that tag (I won’t dignify it by naming it actually comes from)?

My original reply was in jest, I would’ve thought that was obvious. Yours is worthy of the lazily, vile nonsense posted on Bluemoon, or even RAWK at it’s worst.

Before you come back with something glib, do me (and yourself) a favour and think about the two human tragedies that occurred which give that tag such a horrible tinge.

I know (I would hope) you were just being unthinking, but there are plenty of Liverpool tags with actual humour that you can fire off with a bit of wit.

Ps- I’m sure you’re a decent type and meant’ nothing by it, but, there are better things to say to take the mick.
Agreed, let's leave this out.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
My big fear for this tie is right back. Gomez is injured, Clyne not match fit after a long lay off and Alexander Arnold is talented but isn't ready for a game of this caliber. He's been exposed a few times defensively - most recently at Old Trafford.

Except for that, we have had Man City's number for years and they haven't won at Anfield in about 20. The Etihad is a rather familiar, sedate place to play compared to some of the cauldrons we could have gone to.
I would love to know how much you would lost by at the Etihad if you hadn't had 'City's number', what do you reckon?

Blue doomer

Supports
Manchester City
All I keep hearing about is the Anfield atmosphere, It will see us through. They have 2 mins singing the Celtic theme tune and then its like most other PL grounds. Quiet.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
:lol: Holy shit, I was trying to remember who you guys got matched up against before remembering you got knocked out. Sevilla ffs, unbelievable. I think my mind just can't process that or something.
Don't bring that up please.

Jamie L

Supports
Liverpool
Agreed, let's leave this out.
Cheers Johnny,
This has been dealt with at length mate, and the original poster received a temporary ban.
I'm not easily offended, I study History and Genocide in particular, so I'm quite used to the worst side of human behaviour.

It's heartwarming to know though, that us Liverpool and United fans can give one another loads of abuse, without resorting to the gutter.

I couldn't believe that, that particular poster refused to see the difference between 'Victimpool' and something like 'Loserpoo', or 'Livershite' (which are totally acceptable).

The 'Victim' tag, or 'always the victims' is revolting to me because of obvious reasons (loss of life, fight for justice etc, and I include Heysel in that, for which my clubs supporters were guilty).

I would never make the aeroplane sign to United fans, mocking the death of potentially one of the greatest ever British sides. I find that behaviour disgusting.

We are two truly great clubs, the best Britain has, had to offer for the last 60 years, and we bear our scars with dignity. Best wishes my friend. (Tho' we 'hate' each other's clubs, I hope we respect each other's many great achievments -tho' not so many in Europe on your part! Hehe). :)

Reactions: Varun

JohnnyKills

Cheers Johnny,
This has been dealt with at length mate, and the original poster received a temporary ban.
I'm not easily offended, I study History and Genocide in particular, so I'm quite used to the worst side of human behaviour.

It's heartwarming to know though, that us Liverpool and United fans can give one another loads of abuse, without resorting to the gutter.

I couldn't believe that, that particular poster refused to see the difference between 'Victimpool' and something like 'Loserpoo', or 'Livershite' (which are totally acceptable).

The 'Victim' tag, or 'always the victims' is revolting to me because of obvious reasons (loss of life, fight for justice etc, and I include Heysel in that, for which my clubs supporters were guilty).

I would never make the aeroplane sign to United fans, mocking the death of potentially one of the greatest ever British sides. I find that behaviour disgusting.

We are two truly great clubs, the best Britain has, had to offer for the last 60 years, and we bear our scars with dignity. Best wishes my friend. (Tho' we 'hate' each other's clubs, I hope we respect each other's many great achievments -tho' not so many in Europe on your part! Hehe). :)
Completely agree. Having raised money for the Hillsborough family support group, it's clear much offence that sort of chant causes in Liverpool. We've got plenty to mock LFC for without resorting to that!

wythyred

Cheers Johnny,

Great post this Jamie, very well put mate.

Tony Clifton

My best case scenario from here on out:

1. Liverpool gets knocked out by City.

2. City gets knocked out by Real - including through two or three goals scored by Ronnie at the Emptihad, followed by him revealing a stripe of red band some where beneath his kit, pissing off the Emptihad and reminding them of their true place in the hierarchy. If not Real, I'm ok with Juventus doing this instead, minus the part about Ronnie, obviously.

3. I don't really give a shit about the rest, though I prefer that Real will lose in an eventual final. Instead, I hope Juventus (see point #2), Bayern or Barca will win it. In that order.

How can any of you who want Liverpool to progress call yourselves United fans. What the hell. Our rivalry with Liverpool is number one, two, three, four, five… you get the idea, I hope. If not for footballing reasons, at least take a look at the history between the two cities. Sure, City can feck off, but Liverpool must always feck off the most.

Also, City are just a strong fart in a weak wind right now. Let City have their pointless CL "run", they will return to irrelevance soon enough and will bottle the semis this season anyway.

JohnnyKills

My best case scenario from here on out:

1. Liverpool gets knocked out by City.

2. City gets knocked out by Real - including through two or three goals scored by Ronnie at the Emptihad, followed by him revealing a stripe of red band some where beneath his kit, pissing off the Emptihad and reminding them of their true place in the hierarchy. If not Real, I'm ok with Juventus doing this instead, minus the part about Ronnie, obviously.

3. I don't really give a shit about the rest, though I prefer that Real will lose in an eventual final. Instead, I hope Juventus (see point #2), Bayern or Barca will win it. In that order.

How can any of you who want Liverpool to progress call yourselves United fans. What the hell. Our rivalry with Liverpool is number one, two, three, four, five… you get the idea, I hope. If not for footballing reasons, at least take a look at the history between the two cities. Sure, City can feck off, but Liverpool must always feck off the most.

Also, City are just a strong fart in a weak wind right now. Let City have their pointless CL "run", they will return to irrelevance soon enough and will bottle the semis this season anyway.
Some good war-gaming right there!

I really don't care who wins it tbh. Anyone but Liverpool!

Jamie L

Supports
Liverpool
Completely agree. Having raised money for the Hillsborough family support group, it's clear much offence that sort of chant causes in Liverpool. We've got plenty to mock LFC for without resorting to that!
Thanks Johnny, and....Likewise! :)

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
City struggling to sell out the Etihad for this is hilarious. I suspect there will be pockets of LFC fans dotted around their ground.
Hilarious but not surprising. I should add that's not a shot at Liverpool but rather that the Etihad is often sparingly filled.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
I would love to know how much you would lost by at the Etihad if you hadn't had 'City's number', what do you reckon?
The Mane sending off rendered that game meaningless.

All I keep hearing about is the Anfield atmosphere, It will see us through. They have 2 mins singing the Celtic theme tune and then its like most other PL grounds. Quiet.
You're correct that Anfield is nothing special on the average Saturday 3pm kickoff. Quiet, even. But European nights are a completely different cup of tea.

JohnnyKills

Hilarious but not surprising. I should add that's not a shot at Liverpool but rather that the Etihad is often sparingly filled.
They'll regret not going when the sheikh fecks off and they're back playing port vale and Swindon in 10 years' time.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
The Mane sending off rendered that game meaningless.

You're correct that Anfield is nothing special on the average Saturday 3pm kickoff. Quiet, even. But European nights are a completely different cup of tea.
Well I hope for your sake that Uefa decide the game is also null and void should Mane decide to plant his studs in someone's head again.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
In a big european night? :lol:

Wait, let me laugh harder:lol::lol::lol::lol:

saivet

I got a ticket to the game. Me and some of my mates from uni basically just go to any City games when they're playing a decent team in Europe as they always go on general sale.

One team will get knocked out and that's good enough for me, all I want to see is an entertaining game and any English players to do well.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
As much fun as it is laughing at City having trouble selling tickets it's not as if Liverpool didnt have similar problems in the 70s and 80s.

When they played CSKA Sofia the ground was half empty for a Q/F in 82. Loads of other games were poorly attended.

Status
Not open for further replies.