UEFA Champions League Quarter-final Draw | Man City v Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think official attendance is calculated by tickets sold, not number of people at the games.

They probably have some season ticket holders who can’t be arsed going.
Surely you meant unofficial attendance because official attendance is what you give to the police and that's what is scanned at the gate on game day.

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
The "we're going to intimidate Man City into crumbling"/ "look at our magical welcome coach parade" lines are so cringe-inducing. Its as though they believe their own lies about their atmosphere. City have plenty of players from South America/players who have played in hostile European derbies for former clubs. The fans over here are tame in comparison.
Is any Liverpool fan actually saying that City are going to crumble! As world football goes, atmospheres in English stadiums is rather more prosaic than many other European Leagues. But Anfield is one of the more atmospheric grounds in England. The atmosphere in Anfield will be loud and will hope to try and intimidate or unnerve City players but there is very little a fan base can do if their own team doesn’t produce on the pitch.

GeorgieBoy

Is any Liverpool fan actually saying that City are going to crumble! As world football goes, atmospheres in English stadiums is rather more prosaic than many other European Leagues. But Anfield is one of the more atmospheric grounds in England. The atmosphere in Anfield will be loud and will hope to try and intimidate or unnerve City players but there is very little a fan base can do if their own team doesn’t produce on the pitch.
See my previous post. Anfield isn't some magical footballing arena like Liverpool fans keep saying it is.

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
See my previous post. Anfield isn't some magical footballing arena like Liverpool fans keep saying it is.
Again, who are these people calling Anfield magical? Its not, could be much better but is better than most grounds in UK. From my experience; Celtic Park is better and considering all, Palace have very good supporters too.
But there will be a better home atmosphere generated in Anfield than there will be in the Ethihad which,I think, is what this thread is actually about. Dont think anyone is suggesting either, that it would be enough on its own to beat City!!

GeorgieBoy

Again, who are these people calling Anfield magical? Its not, could be much better but is better than most grounds in UK. From my experience; Celtic Park is better and considering all, Palace have very good supporters too.
But there will be a better home atmosphere generated in Anfield than there will be in the Ethihad which,I think, is what this thread is actually about. Dont think anyone is suggesting either, that it would be enough on its own to beat City!!
Maybe its just a natural bias, but the term 'European night at Anfield' gets thrown around a lot and I've never really understood it.
But yeah agree with the rest, if I had to put money on this; I'd back you guys to knock City out which I'm white worried about.

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
Maybe its just a natural bias, but the term 'European night at Anfield' gets thrown around a lot and I've never really understood it.
But yeah agree with the rest, if I had to put money on this; I'd back you guys to knock City out which I'm white worried about.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, sadly I dont see it myself when I look rationally at it, unless of course ‘we have one of those Magical European Nights at Anfield’ Sorry, couldn’t resist!!;)
Of course its possible but we’ll need to play exceptionally well over two games against a really top side. If there is a neutral, well they should be in for a treat.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Anfield 'atmosphere' is all about the pre-match build up. I've been several times and that is the only thing that stands out. Anfield is like every other club with a good sized stadium, large parts of the stadium is filled with casual fans that are more concerned with taking pictures and videos instead of singing.

There was an interview on RedmenTV from a regular match going fan that said that he's experienced the atmosphere deteriorate over time, and that's not the only account.

European nights at Anfield is just a myth that's perpetuated just because it's Liverpool. Their atmosphere was shit when they drew with Porto. Virtually every club will have a great atmosphere when they are playing Bayern Munich or Real Madrid at home, or their arch rivals in a knockout tie.
I agree with what you say mate but there is one thing I have to say.

Why do you think the atmosphere was shit against Porto ?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
That wasn't Anfield . That was at Wembley .

Get stunned !
Doesn't matter if it's North Korea, it's still the self confessed best fans in the world waving plastic flags.

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Anfield won them the ties against borussia and villarreal in '16. Now not saying it will carry them past city, but the atmosphere there in big european nights is no myth
At last .

:D

I agree . We need to play well over two legs and we all were a bit pissed off because the second leg was away. We need to be the better team aswell like you say.

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Doesn't matter if it's North Korea, it's still the self confessed best fans in the world waving plastic flags.
It makes a big difference. It was Wembley and the flags were put their by the FA and most probably waved by beauts from Kent and the like. Our club trusts us to bring our own banners and create our own atmosphere. Which reminds me . Hows that plan hatching out about song sheets at Old Trafford ? Most of your songs seem to be about us anyhow so you may need them.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I agree with what you say mate but there is one thing I have to say.

Why do you think the atmosphere was shit against Porto ?
It's right there in the post you quoted. Anfield has a great atmosphere on big european nights and that should be the case for any top club. But this idea that the atmosphere there gives Liverpool some extra edge compared to other teams is nonsensical. Anfield will be a 12th man against City because they are one of the best teams in the world coming to your home, not because there is something special about it.

I would say that there are many clubs with a better atmosphere than Anfield, to be honest the atmosphere in the PL is not that good, it's mainly the away support that makes the most noise.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It makes a big difference. It was Wembley and the flags were put their by the FA and most probably waved by beauts from Kent and the like. Our club trusts us to bring our own banners and create our own atmosphere. Which reminds me . Hows that plan hatching out about song sheets at Old Trafford ? Most of your songs seem to be about us anyhow so you may need them.
So the FA forced the fans to wave them about?

As for creating your own atmosphere, lets hope for your sake you create a better one vs City than the last time Anfield hosted a UCL quarter final :)

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
So the FA forced the fans to wave them about?

As for creating your own atmosphere, lets hope for your sake you create a better one vs City than the last time Anfield hosted a UCL quarter final :)
To your first post . No but read my Kent and the like response.

What the feck is UCL ? Sounds like something I get after to much cycling. Ah. You must mean a European Cup Quarter Final ? To be honest Iam struggling to think who that was a against . And... it took me to mention the Old Trafford song sheets for you to come up with a smiley. ;)

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
To your first post . No but read my Kent and the like response.

What the feck is UCL ? Sounds like something I get after to much cycling. Ah. You must mean a European Cup Quarter Final ? To be honest Iam struggling to think who that was a against . And... it took me to mention the Old Trafford song sheets for you to come up with a smiley. ;)
Ill give you a clue, it involved Guus Hiddink outsmarting Benitez, and a silent home crowd as a result ;)

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Ill give you a clue, it involved Guus Hiddink outsmarting Benitez, and a silent home crowd as a result ;)
I had a feeling it was that . I remember the second leg well and it was a mad game. The Liverpool end was great that night and lots of Hillsborough banners as it was the day before the 20th Anniversary. We still out sung them too. Cockney Bellends.

Blue doomer

Supports
Manchester City
I would say that there are many clubs with a better atmosphere than Anfield, to be honest the atmosphere in the PL is not that good, it's mainly the away support that makes the most noise.
The home atmospheres at most PL grounds now are not far off non exisitant, just shocking. The 1894 group at our gaff try and try but it's just not working. The general feeling is the away fans are situated in the wrong area. If we ever do expand again with the North stand I hope to feck it's one big tier, it could change everything regarding our atmosphere.

The Spurs one tier stand looks absolutely immense and is going to create some noise for sure.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
that is true most English stadiums have become theatres, very nice comfortable structures with no atmosphere. I was surprised when I went to see City-Juve 3 years ago that you could hear more the 2000 juve fans than the rest of the stadium at times. Same feeling at the Emirates when Napoli played Arsenal. Having said that no match is decided by fans despite the rhetoric

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Having said that no match is decided by fans despite the rhetoric
No match is decided by fans, but they can sure as hell have a big influence on the game

Just watch any premier league game and you can see how the atmosphere affects the play

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Liverpool will win at Anfield but i think Man City will win the tie.
I hate both of them equally.
I don't care who wins.
I hope whoever does gets humiliated in the semi finals.
Im not going to watch it.

Hitchez

I think it's City and Guardiola who need to do some thinking. Liverpool were comfortably the better team at Anfield and at the Etihad before they went down to 10 men.

montpelier

I think Liverpool's press & their dangerous forward players gives them a chance of establishing a foothold in the tie & keeping it as long as they have a goalscoring threat & some kind of parity on the scoreboard. And I think that applies from start to finish over the 180 minutes. I think the crowd is useful for getting that going at Anfield in the early stages.

The problem will be if easily the better team on paper & who are even more free-scoring do it to them starting early-doors. In which scenario, the plucky underdogs could get sluiced.

Hope so, anyway.

Nickys Butt

Just wanted to comment to say, every United fan that has said they won't be watching this match is clearly a twat that does truly enjoy the sport. Going to be a brilliant two games of football, so fecking what if you don't like the two teams, the point of watching football is to be entertained and you're going to rob yourselves of seeing some great football out of spite. So weird.

Hope City win anyway, fecking hate Liverpool but I'll definitely be glued to the TV for both games.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Just wanted to comment to say, every United fan that has said they won't be watching this match is clearly a twat that does truly enjoy the sport. Going to be a brilliant two games of football, so fecking what if you don't like the two teams, the point of watching football is to be entertained and you're going to rob yourselves of seeing some great football out of spite. So weird.

Hope City win anyway, fecking hate Liverpool but I'll definitely be glued to the TV for both games.
I'd rather have my anal beard plucked with a rusty pair of tweezers in a slow, agonizing fashion than subject my eyeballs to this "visual splendour".

Whilst you are consciously gratifying yourself at the orgasm inducing football on display, our 2 most hated rivals are battling it out in a season defining CL tie that may result in either them winning the competition entirely, and you're happy to watch that happen? Just wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.