UEFA Champions League Quarter-final Draw | Man City v Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas

Open to offers
Where did he say he'd happily watch City or Liverpool win the CL?

So is the narrative on here now if you watch this match, you're not a true Utd supporter?

Nickys Butt

I'd rather have my anal beard plucked with a rusty pair of tweezers in a slow, agonizing fashion than subject my eyeballs to this "visual splendour".

Whilst you are consciously gratifying yourself at the orgasm inducing football on display, our 2 most hated rivals are battling it out in a season defining CL tie that may result in either them winning the competition entirely, and you're happy to watch that happen? Just wow.
I'm not happy they are both currently still in with a chance of winning the Champions League, but the reality is they deserve to be there and we don't, simple as that and I've accepted that fact. At least it's most likely going to result in two great games of football which is the reason I like to watch Champions League knockout football. Either of these winning the tie also doesn't necessarily mean they'll win the whole competition outright which is a comfort, it'd be a lot more painful if they were playing in the final, then I'd more understand people not being eager to watch the game

At the end of the day football is about entertainment and I'm buzzing for Wednesday, sometimes you need to try to rise above petty tribalism as best as you can and just enjoy things for how they are. The only thing that's not ideal for my enjoyment levels is I'd love to be going in with a completely neutral mindset, I just can't begrudge a small club like Manchester City going through whereas Liverpool winning anything does piss me off, so that's not brilliant but nevertheless whatever happens happens. C'est la vie:)

Nickys Butt

So is the narrative on here now if you watch this match, you're not a true Utd supporter?
Seems to be the narrative. You're right too in that I never said that. But feck it, in the interest of full disclosure, gun to my head being asked to choose between the two, I'd by far rather see City win the whole thing than Liverpool. feck the idea of Liverpool tripling our tally:annoyed:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Since when does one posters viewpoint represent the entire CAF? Way to generalize. That wasn't what I meant anyway.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I'm buzzing for this tie because both managers are ticking time bombs, that will give us some comedy gold after the game if they suffer a heavy defeat. The only thing that would have made this tie better is if we were going against Bayern Munich :(

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I'm not happy they are both currently still in with a chance of winning the Champions League, but the reality is they deserve to be there and we don't, simple as that and I've accepted that fact. At least it's most likely going to result in two great games of football which is the reason I like to watch Champions League knockout football. Either of these winning the tie also doesn't necessarily mean they'll win the whole competition outright which is a comfort, it'd be a lot more painful if they were playing in the final, then I'd more understand people not being eager to watch the game

At the end of the day football is about entertainment and I'm buzzing for Wednesday, sometimes you need to try to rise above petty tribalism as best as you can and just enjoy things for how they are. The only thing that's not ideal for my enjoyment levels is I'd love to be going in with a completely neutral mindset, I just can't begrudge a small club like Manchester City going through whereas Liverpool winning anything does piss me off, so that's not brilliant but nevertheless whatever happens happens. C'est la vie:)
Just don't see how watching the dippers battle it out with City in a huge CL tie could possibly be "entertaining" for a United fan, let alone get you "buzzing" in anticipation for the event. But hey, at least you're honest.

Where are you from by the way?

Treble

The battle will be fierce. Liverpool will have VVD and Henderson this time, they missed the game in January. But City will be with Kompany, Silva and Jesus. City have won all away games this season in which Silva and Jesus have played. Both seem in great form too. KDB, on the other hand, has lost a bit of form recently. He's played too much this season.

Nickys Butt

Just don't see how watching the dippers battle it out with City in a huge CL tie could possibly be "entertaining" for a United fan, let alone get you "buzzing" in anticipation for the event. But hey, at least you're honest.

Where are you from by the way?
Like I said, for me personally I'm going to be viewing the game from as detached a viewpoint as I possibly can. I shall be keeping the United jersey in my wardrobe and taking the framed Fergie picture off the coffee table for the 90 minutes. Whether or not we watch it or not this tie is happening eitherway, one of them is going through to the semis no matter how much we'd rather they could both go out. May as well enjoy the spectacle whilst you can, they both usually produce good football so it's going to be interesting to see, not much more I can really say on it tbh, that's my viewpoint.

I'm Irish, work with a city fan who's a good lad but other than him I know np other City fans so obviously I'm in a more privleged position than people from Manchester. But feck it generally, life is too short, approach it like it's a movie and enjoy the good parts, laugh at whoever loses and then cheer on whoever the winner gets in the semis. Be grand:D

Kinda fecking up any discussion about the game itself now aren't we, don't worry this is my last post of the day.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
My predictions:

- Manchester City will beat Liverpool surprisingly easily.

- Roma will surprise Barca and turn out to be much tougher opponents than people are expecting, but Barca will still advance.

- Bayern will beat Sevilla with moderate difficulty.

- Juventus will somehow manage to knock out Madrid on away goals.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
My predictions:

- Manchester City will beat Liverpool surprisingly easily.

- Roma will surprise Barca and turn out to be much tougher opponents than people are expecting, but Barca will still advance.

- Bayern will beat Sevilla with moderate difficulty.

- Juventus will somehow manage to knock out Madrid on away goals.
I see City dispatching Liverpool over the two legs comfortably as well, only chance Liverpool had was to be playing at home second but as they don't have that I see a draw at best for them in the first leg followed by a convincing loss in the second

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I dislike both teams enormously but I think I'd prefer to see City win purely for the fact that Roberto Firmino has the most annoying face I've ever seen.

City, Barca, Bayern and Real will be the semis. Pick a favourite out of that lot!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I dislike both teams enormously but I think I'd prefer to see City win purely for the fact that Roberto Firmino has the most annoying face I've ever seen.

City, Barca, Bayern and Real will be the semis. Pick a favourite out of that lot!
I think it will be Bayern's year.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I think it will be Bayern's year.
They're my tip, too. I think they have the best squad. Neuer (hopefully fit to play again this season), Hummels, Boateng, Alaba, Kimmich, Martinez, Robben, Ribery, James, Coman, Vidal, Thiago, Lewandowski, Muller... just an unreal squad.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Real quality is going to prove too much while exploiting through fast transitions our low-gear defensive approach & the related inevitable passing mistakes in our half imho. On the other hand, they have defensive lapses as well and too often this year they concede more than they want. I would get any win from the first leg or at least staying in the tie with a low score draw 0-0 or 1-1 really. Worse than that, I can’t see game open for us in Madrid. As for the overall favourites, I would say Barcelona these days, they are just combining world-class attacking quality with the trademark 4-4-2 pragmatic organisation and defensive equilibrium, in that mimicking and taking the best of Real & Atletico strongest points.

Raru9

My predictions:

• City will win 1-2 in Anfield.
  • Barcelona will win easily against Roma. 3-0
  • Sevilla can be a trouble for Bayern if they play like the first 80 minutes vs Barcelona. 2-1 or 2-0 again, if they play like yesterday.
  • I see a Madrid win 1-2 or a draw 1-1 or 2-2. The second leg will be more difficult to Madrid. Its a feeling i have.

p_bugge92

Supports
Liverpool
We will get a 2-2 draw at home to city only for us to get smack in the away tie. Our only hope really is to keep city to one goal at Anfield but i just don't see that happening.

LFCKop

Supports
Liverpool
During our Europa league journey we had biggest club in Manchester in QF and now in CL QF, we have their noisy neighbour.:)
I will be hoping for the same result this time too.

If we somehow manage to get through this round, I am more confident of reaching final.

Obviously defense has to be alert for whole 180 minutes for starter.

GeorgieBoy

Just wanted to comment to say, every United fan that has said they won't be watching this match is clearly a twat that does truly enjoy the sport. Going to be a brilliant two games of football, so fecking what if you don't like the two teams, the point of watching football is to be entertained and you're going to rob yourselves of seeing some great football out of spite. So weird.

Hope City win anyway, fecking hate Liverpool but I'll definitely be glued to the TV for both games.
Maybe to you, different people; different views.
I'm going to watch it but will turn it off if Liverpool take an early lead.

Jayus20

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah. When was their last truly great result at home in Europe ?
Erm Dortmund 2 years ago? Probably the best game I’ve seen at Anfield, it was unbelievable.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah. When was their last truly great result at home in Europe ?
Dortmund in 2016. We were 3-1 down on the night and had to score 3 in 30mins against a team that many said we would never beat over 2 legs.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Can't see past City. The second leg being at the Etihad is key.
City won't be adventurous at Anfield, men behind the ball if necessary and will just circulate it to kill Liverpool's momentum.
Pep's away record in the CL is actually not very impressive.

Infra-red

City are much the better side and should progress from the tie without too much trouble.

Caveat emptor football is a crazy, unpredictable sport.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Dortmund in 2016. We were 3-1 down on the night and had to score 3 in 30mins against a team that many said we would never beat over 2 legs.
Dortmund are rubbish in Europe.

They had one good season in Europe in 21 years.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Da feck :lol:

They have a better UCL record than United from 2012-13 onwards, when they reached the bloody final!
United record along with the rest of the PL is poor in the CL since 2012.

If Dortmund were any use they wouldn't be ending up in the Europa league.

As I said they haven't won the CL in 21 years and have only got to the final once since.

They aren't anything special in Europe.

Hope this helps.

Nickys Butt

Maybe to you, different people; different views.
I'm going to watch it but will turn it off if Liverpool take an early lead.
Excluding Man Utd matches, what do you watch football for if not to be entertained? Genuinely curious

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Over 2 legs City should comfortable go through

Liverpool are a bit hit and miss but when they hit they can destroy any team on their day

I wouldn't be surprised to see Liverpool pull it off as they seem to have the tools to counter City so I think it will be a good game

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Da feck :lol:

They have a better UCL record than United from 2012-13 onwards, when they reached the bloody final!
Not sure what are you laughing at. That's the only good season they had in Europe in 21 years and that's what other poster said.

having better season than ManUtd since 2013-14 means feck all.

GeorgieBoy

Excluding Man Utd matches, what do you watch football for if not to be entertained? Genuinely curious
Like you said, for entertainment. But that isn't the point of football to me. I'm more of a Man Utd fan than I am a fan of football, if that makes sense.

LuenerLinguist

Not sure what are you laughing at. That's the only good season they had in Europe in 21 years and that's what other poster said.

having better season than ManUtd since 2013-14 means feck all.
1997 Champions League winner

the best Results since then:

1998 Champions League Semi Final (agains Real)
2002 Uefa Cup Final (against Rotterdam in Rotterdam)
2013 Champions League Final (against Bayern)
2014 Champions League Quarter Final (against Real)
2015 Champions League last 16 (against Juvents)
2017 Champions League Quarter Final (against Monaco and with that bomb disaster)

All very good seasons for that team in my book.

I think that being in the Quarter Final, which means being one of the 8 best teams is a great accomplishment.

Last edited:

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
I think over 2 legs it might be closer than people think, whilst theres a lot being made of Anfield's atmosphere (maybe a bit too much) we do have a shocking record there. I don't think Pep will change his tactics, it'll just be down to whether we make more/less mistakes than we did last time at Anfield, mistakes caused by the pressing. I do think we've improved slightly against the press since then but it's really hard to tell as no one really matches Liverpools intensity. Whether their own possible rotations effect that will remain to be seen.

I'm interested to see how we handle rotation ourselves with having the derby but I suspect we'll rest people against United rather than try and force them through 3 games. As much as I'm sure Pep would love to win against Mourinho, he's gotta be pretty confident of winning the league regardless of whether we manage it on Saturday or not. I do think there'll be a few goals in it as neither team is much crack under pressure and both play to each others weaknesses, particularly not looking forward to Salah running at our back 4. I do hope we manage to come out on top though, if only because otherwise we'll never hear the end of how this Liverpool side were better than us, regardless of the league table.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
1997 Champions League winner

the best Results since then:

1998 Champions League Semi Final (agains Real)
2002 Uefa Cup Final (against Rotterdam in Rotterdam)
2013 Champions League Final (against Bayern)
2014 Champions League Quarter Final (against Real)
2015 Champions League last 16 (against Juvents)
2017 Champions League Quarter Final (against Monaco and with that bomb disaster)

All very good seasons for that team in my book.
For me since their CL win, 1998, 2013 were the only good seasons in CL.

Didn't know about UEFA cup finals. So yeah make it 3 in 21 years.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
For me since their CL win, 1998, 2013 were the only good seasons in CL.

Didn't know about UEFA cup finals. So yeah make it 3 in 21 years.
So basically only the usual suspects, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern and Juventus have been good in CL since 12/13 then?

A bit harsh imo not counting quarters as a good CL campaign for a club like Dortmund.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.