UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

lsd

The Oracle
If I had to bet all my worldly possessions on one party the Lib Dem’s form a coalition with after this election, it would be the Tories every time and I absolutely believe that they would help Boris get his deal over the line too if it meant them sharing some power. They’ll talk meekly about doing everything they could to avoid no deal and that’s always been their mission.

Absolute tumescent group of politicians.

Theres no way they would join with Corbyn and who could blame them. Labour have only themselves to blame and that goes back to choosing Ed Miliband over David

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Theres no way they would join with Corbyn and who could blame them. Labour have only themselves to blame and that goes back to choosing Ed Miliband over David
The only annoying thing about David Miliband never being Labour leader is this weird notion that comes up every so often he'd have been some messianic saviour for the party. He'd have been fairly out of touch with politics now and would've hardly been the fresh jolt of energy Labour needed after 2010. Ed was hardly brilliant but at least came up with a few alright policies here and there.

marktan

The party that will likely win has spent nine years trebling child poverty, homelessness and national debt.

The party that will likely win has decimated public services through cuts to the police, armed forces, fire services, education, health services and the (relatively small) welfare sector.

The party that will likely win has endorsed the rise of Islamophobia and hate crime, given credence by the ascent of a racist and misogynist to role of Prime Minister.

The party that will likely win has deported people that have lived in the country for decades.

The party that will likely win has contributed to the deaths of some of the most vulnerable people in our society, under the guise of austerity.

What a fecking country.
Only because Labour's led by Corbyn who's not very relatable. If they had someone more normal, moderate in charge they'd likely win.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
If I had to bet all my worldly possessions on one party the Lib Dem’s form a coalition with after this election, it would be the Tories every time and I absolutely believe that they would help Boris get his deal over the line too if it meant them sharing some power. They’ll talk meekly about doing everything they could to avoid no deal and that’s always been their mission.

Absolute tumescent group of politicians.
Disagreement on a forum shock, but I couldn't disagree more! I am no fan of Jo Swinson, she has a very questionable voting record to say the least, but I do believe in the integrity of the party as a whole. I cannot believe that they would go into power with anyone who wanted to leave the EU with or without a deal. I can understand the reluctance to make a pact with JC as his actions and policies have hardly been transparent throughout this process. But I do think that had the coalition government continued past the 2015 election we would never have had the referendum and wouldn't be in this horrendous mess in the first place.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's hard for me to see how this will end with anything other than another Tory-led government. At which point a lot of people should be very ashamed of themselves.

Sweet Square

Disagreement on a forum shock, but I couldn't disagree more! I am no fan of Jo Swinson, she has a very questionable voting record to say the least, but I do believe in the integrity of the party as a whole. I cannot believe that they would go into power with anyone who wanted to leave the EU with or without a deal. I can understand the reluctance to make a pact with JC as his actions and policies have hardly been transparent throughout this process. But I do think that had the coalition government continued past the 2015 election we would never have had the referendum and wouldn't be in this horrendous mess in the first place.
The Lib Dems wanted a referendum on EU membership in 2008(And in their 2010 manifesto).

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/05/eu-referendum-leaflet-will-haunt-clegg-today

It’s been over thirty years since the British people last had a vote on Britain’s membership of the European Union.

That’s why the Liberal Democrats want a real referendum on Europe. Only a real referendum on Britain’s membership of the EU will let the people decide our country’s future.

But Labour don’t want the people to have their say.

The Conservatives only support a limited referendum on the Lisbon Treaty. Why won’t they give the people a say in a real referendum?

And nearly all Lib Dem MPs voted in favour of the EU Referendum Act in 2015.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
The Lib Dems wanted a referendum on EU membership in 2008(And in their 2010 manifesto).

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/05/eu-referendum-leaflet-will-haunt-clegg-today

And nearly all Lib Dem MPs voted in favour of the EU Referendum Act in 2015.
Fair call, revisionism on my part!

But to be fair they went into it clearly campaigning from a remain point of view, they have never been a 'leave' party. Interestingly Labour changed their policy to vote for the referendum too, it was only the SNP that called it out as a political gamble on behalf of the Tory party and voted against it on that basis and good for them.

Backing a referendum wasn't in the Lib Dem 2015 manifesto, though Clegg did say that there was nothing inconsistent about being pro-european and democratic at the same time. They were also clear that there should only be a referendum if a new treaty was drawn up between UK and EU.

I should add I am not a Lib Dem supporter, though I'll vote for them in the constituency where I am registered as it is a straight Tory/Lib Dem race. I personally would like to see a Lib Lab coalition, but to go back to the original post in this conversation I agree that I can't see it happening sadly.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
he had the biggest labour vote share increase in 60 years and ended what looked like an invincible tory majority. the 2017 election is the sole reason brexit hasn't happened so far.
Yes, but he was also running against perhaps the most inept Prime Minister in decades and still couldn't win. Making gains in vote share against a competent opponent is very different from doing it against Teresa May and the Tories in 2017.

His moral victory in 2017 has only delayed Brexit, rather than preventing it. Not that he's genuinely interested in preventing Brexit anyway.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Not that he's genuinely interested in preventing Brexit anyway.
i was going to rant but it's fine, unless you're in the relevant part of the natsec blob you have as little influence over the uk as i do. continue hacing such sharp analysis.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yes, but he was also running against perhaps the most inept Prime Minister in decades and still couldn't win. Making gains in vote share against a competent opponent is very different from doing it against Teresa May and the Tories in 2017.

His moral victory in 2017 has only delayed Brexit, rather than preventing it. Not that he's genuinely interested in preventing Brexit anyway.
I'm fairly sure that Boris is far more inept. So far he has managed to negotiate a deal worse than May's while losing votes in parliament and burning bridges with various people and groups - the DUP primarily.

The election is a huge gamble as he needs an absolute majority. Labor et al. just need him not to have a working majority.

The next few weeks will be interesting. In the way a mass pile up on the motorway in icy fog is interesting.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

But to be fair they went into it clearly campaigning from a remain point of view, they have never been a 'leave' party. Interestingly Labour changed their policy to vote for the referendum too, it was only the SNP that called it out as a political gamble on behalf of the Tory party and voted against it on that basis and good for them.

Backing a referendum wasn't in the Lib Dem 2015 manifesto, though Clegg did say that there was nothing inconsistent about being pro-european and democratic at the same time. They were also clear that there should only be a referendum if a new treaty was drawn up between UK and EU.

I should add I am not a Lib Dem supporter, though I'll vote for them in the constituency where I am registered as it is a straight Tory/Lib Dem race. I personally would like to see a Lib Lab coalition, but to go back to the original post in this conversation I agree that I can't see it happening sadly.
No contest. Tactial voting might throw a few suprises our way this election.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Literally the most difficult choice I’ve ever known in terms of who to vote for in all of my years of voting.

Tory - I am against austerity and hate the cuts to our public services that have happened under the Tories over the last few years. The threat of leaving the EU without a deal is also a worry ... But! Nothing changes for the negative for me and my family finances.

Lib Dem - the first time in my whole life I’ve even considered them ... But! I don’t like Jo Swinson at all and think she’d be a terrible PM, plus although I voted Remain I think revoking A50 and ignoring the 2016 referendum would shatter politics for good and only make the current social volatility even worse. Much better we leave with some semblance of a good deal and vote back in later down the line.

Labour - Not even considering them for the first time ever as their plans for IHT literally dismantle everything that has been my driving force over the last 10 years. I’ve made big sacrifices, have worked hard and progressed in my career, often against my wishes and instincts, to provide for my children on my death. Under Labours plans that would all be gone in a flash.

Last edited:

Drifter

American
Only because Labour's led by Corbyn who's not very relatable. If they had someone more normal, moderate in charge they'd likely win.
You really have not been paying attention to the political climate out there.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
boris johnson has lost the majority of his votes since becoming PM. May couldn't get her deal thourgh for parliament for months.
you know that you are being disisngenuous with the "they lost" framing, you know exactly why that election was called, what labour's prospects looked like, what happened in 2015, etc. but it is convenient to ignore context for a one-liner.
I love the way you guys pretend it wasn’t Labours own fault that they were in that situation in the first place both in 2017 and again now.

They only outperformed expectations last time because they’d caused expectations to become so appallingly low. You want to clap them for that, then you go right ahead.

Smores

Seen a few journalists praising and sharing this. This will probably be the twitter election so good content like this will be important

Last edited:

Smores

Literally the most difficult choice I’ve ever known in terms of who to vote for in all of my years of voting.

Tory - I am against austerity and hate the cuts to our public services that have happened under the Tories over the last few years. The threat of leaving the EU without a deal is also a worry ... But! Nothing changes for the negative for me and my family finances.

Lib Dem - the first time in my whole life I’ve even considered them ... But! I don’t like Jo Swinson at all and think she’d be a terrible PM, plus although I voted Remain I think revoking A50 and ignoring the 2016 referendum would shatter politics for good and only make the current social volatility even worse. Much better we leave with some semblance of a good deal and vote back in later down the line.

Labour - Not even considering them for the first time ever as their plans for IHT literally dismantle everything that has been my driving force over the last 10 years. I’ve made big sacrifices, have worked hard and progressed in my career, often against my wishes and instincts, to provide for my children on my death. Under Labours plans that would all be gone in a flash.
I don't criticise those who want to vote selfishly or because of greed but its not a difficult choice is it?

If you're leave then Tory
If you're crackpot leave then Brexit Party
If you're remain, whichever party might defeat the Tories in your seat.

Fluctuation0161

boris johnson has lost the majority of his votes since becoming PM. May couldn't get her deal thourgh for parliament for months.
you know that you are being disisngenuous with the "they lost" framing, you know exactly why that election was called, what labour's prospects looked like, what happened in 2015, etc. but it is convenient to ignore context for a one-liner.
Yep.

Steven Seagull

this isn’t a tough decision for you now or ever

Fluctuation0161

The Lib Dems are con artists. Flip flop to gain votes. They pushed for the referendum in the first place.

Im surprised people are falling for it again after what they did from 2010. I guess that is how long people remember for, 9-10 years.

Fluctuation0161

Fair enough. The revisionism is more from the Lib Dems than yourself. Why campaign for a referendum then campaign to revoke the outcome?

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I’m seeing so many people (myself included) say that the election isn’t going to be about Brexit, that JC will be able to bring the debate back to health and inequality, that I’m starting to wonder if we’re all wrong, and it actually will be a Brexit election.

Everyone thinks the next election will be like the previous one, but it never is. Given the huge number of unknowns in this election, I think it’s just impossible to say how it’s going to pan out. And yes, I appreciate how useless a statement that is.

EwanI Ted

Why campaign to respect the result of the referendum then campaign to have a second referendum?
Quite. It’s fair to say that this whole Brexit process has been completely unforeseeable and that positions have been forced to change as we go along.

Status
Not open for further replies.