Unai Emery - Ex-Arsenal Manager

Ludens the Red

Fecking hell people. Does literally everything have to turn into a discussion about Ole, we have more than enough Ole threads already

Honestly i think fan pressure lead by the toxic twats at AFTV is the main reason he was sacked. Granted their form lately has been pretty horrible, but this seems pretty knee jerky to me. Ljungberg as far as i can tell has almost zero experience so that will be interesting to see
I find it odd that people think Arsenal’s results and the board are somehow influenced by five min videos of arsenal fans moaning about the club on YouTube. Most Arsenalfantv videos see less than 1 million viewers. I work in Islington amongst many many arsenal fans and less than half of them properly even know what Arsenalfantv is.
Arsenal have basically gotten worse every month under Emery, a complete downward spiral. The football is worse, the defence is worse, the attack is worse. The decision making of Emery has gotten worse, it’s probably the most justified sacking they’ll be this season .

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I find it odd that people think Arsenal’s results and the board are somehow influenced by five min videos of arsenal fans moaning about the club on YouTube. Most Arsenalfantv videos see less than 1 million viewers. I work in Islington amongst many many arsenal fans and less than half of them properly even know what Arsenalfantv is.
Arsenal have basically gotten worse every month under Emery, a complete downward spiral. The football is worse, the defence is worse, the attack is worse. The decision making of Emery has gotten worse, it’s probably the most justified sacking they’ll be this season .
1 million is quite a lot considering how niche it is. Fair enough, i might be talking out of my arse here, but what is true is that the mood around Emirates have been awful for years now and AFTV kind of mirrors that. Like that while Xhaka debacle. I dont think that would have happened in any other British club

Number32

It wasn't a world beater squad but it was definitely an easily top 3 or 4 one. The current squad imo has become worse than what it was last season.
"Finish 2nd with Man United was one of my greatest achivement of my career" - Jose Mourinho
He would never said that if our squad was easily top 3 or 4.

I admit Emery is a better manager, but I'm not a fan of this sacking culture to fix the short term problem. Have you ever learn how Sunderland sink? And Watford will follow them too.

patty123

He took a team who finished second the previous season
A team that finished 19 point of the champions, scored the least goals in top 4 so lets not pretend we were something that season.
People would have laughed one year ago if someone told them Arsenal are a better state than us.
Why ? As they have much better attackers than us, bit better in MF, defence maybe us a slight, very slight bit, base on last year, keepers same

KekiZeki

Why do you say this? I don't think Emery had a better position. He had players unable to implement his style just like Ole did. He ignored key areas of spending like Ole and he was pretty shite.
Emery took over when it was more convenient, like in the end of the season while Solskjaer had to jump in to the whole mess out of the blue, he didn't have the time to prepare and he does need more time. No manager would sort us out quickly, 8 months is not enough time if you have to spend good portion of it getting people out of the door first. Also, where is the guarantee the next man is going to improve Arsenal?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Emery took over when it was more convenient, like in the end of the season while Solskjaer had to jump in to the whole mess out of the blue, he didn't have the time to prepare and he does need more time. No manager would sort us out quickly, 8 months is not enough time if you have to spend good portion of it getting people out of the door first. Also, where is the guarantee the next man is going to improve Arsenal?
So why did Lampard do really well? He walked in with a few gaps in his squad, couldn't buy a soul and trained some players up extremely well with a familiar system?

mu4c_20le

Why ? As they have much better attackers than us, bit better in MF, defence maybe us a slight, very slight bit, base on last year, keepers same
I assume he's another one that is still clinging onto that season where we finished 2nd, because any other year they've been consistently finishing above us and are a better run club.

el3mel

At what cost? The year we were second was the year when Mourinho normally brings a title home, that's his peak season at any club and we were miles behind City, coming second when our competitors were playing European finals and didn't bother with the league City had already won. The 4'th year is when all problems come out and so did with us. The mess that was made is huge. If it was a team capable of second place finish Mourinho would still be here, but he's not. He fecked of to ruin another team.
Yeah and what were Arsenal doing at the same time, finishing 6th, 18 points away from us, and a ridiculous 12 points gap from the 4th place, losing 13 matches on the route. They also finished 5th the previous season. We can twist our second position as much as we want but Arsenal were in a far worse place it's not even a comparison. What's with that trend nowadays, making every team have a better squad and better situation than us ?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yes, but he didn't
Who, Emery? Yeah I agree. My point is this comparison with Solskjær. I don't think Emery and Ole were that dissimilar by way of what they inherited, how much they were backed and how up and down they were. The argument that Ole had a harder job doesn't fly with me, which is why I said you have managers like Lampard who did more with a transfer handicap.

mu4c_20le

Who, Emery? Yeah I agree. My point is this comparison with Solskjær. I don't think Emery and Ole were that dissimilar by way of what they inherited, how much they were backed and how up and down they were. The argument that Ole had a harder job doesn't fly with me, which is why I said you have managers like Lampard who did more with a transfer handicap.
They had two years to plan for the transfer ban, it's not like it came out of nowhere. The only gamble was whether or not the young players like Abraham could step it up in the PL. Ole has a bunch of kids that he plucked from the reserves, a glorified Anderson in midfield, and a bunch of injuries.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They had two years to plan for the transfer ban, it's not like it came out of nowhere. The only gamble was whether or not the young players like Abraham could step it up in the PL. Ole has a bunch of kids that he plucked from the reserves, a glorified Anderson in midfield, and a bunch of injuries.
It was still a big surprise that the ban was upheld. Normally these punishments are massively reduced. Sacking / losing Sarri wasn't in the master plan of Chelsea until it happened. They made the change quite late on given it was the summer window, and yet they are miles ahead of us. With no transfers and less time to get used to the new managers ideas, style of play and all that.

Ludens the Red

1 million is quite a lot considering how niche it is. Fair enough, i might be talking out of my arse here, but what is true is that the mood around Emirates have been awful for years now and AFTV kind of mirrors that. Like that while Xhaka debacle. I dont think that would have happened in any other British club
It's a lot but it's not a ground shaking amount and I have to say if there are Arsenal players/coaching staff etc affected by Arsenalfantv then they should probably retire from football, build a panic room and live in it for the rest of their lives. I think Arsefantv is a direct result of whats gone on on the pitch and in the boardroom. Whatever people think of DT and Troopz etc, there is no doubt they just want whats best for the club, everyone likes to rant, it lets out frustration (if they make a bit of money from it so what, if someone paid me to rant about how shite United have been for the last six years I'd jump at the chance) but yeah there is noway these guys would not prefer the alternative which is a successful Arsenal team and club ran competently.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Lampard had a massive advantage in that he was always a part of Chelsea, even after he left. He knew the youth and academy coaches and players well and was able to call upon them to bolster the squad in the transfer ban. Ole and Unai weren't exactly close Utd and Arsenal respectively before they joined. Yes, Ole was a past player and club legend but Lampard knew the academy structure and players at Chelsea. Added to that, he's commands a lot of respect from his players. It's kinda hard to not see him do well in the short term to be fair.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Lampard had a massive advantage in that he was always a part of Chelsea, even after he left. He knew the youth and academy coaches and players well and was able to call upon them to bolster the squad in the transfer ban. Ole and Unai weren't exactly close Utd and Arsenal respectively before they joined. Yes, Ole was a past player and club legend but Lampard knew the academy structure and players at Chelsea. Added to that, he's commands a lot of respect from his players. It's kinda hard to not see him do well in the short term to be fair.
Ole managed the United reserves from 2008-2010 and relies heavily on Nicky Butt as Lampard does on Jody Morris. Anyway, it's not just about evaluating your players but also training them adequately.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Terrible manager.
He was way over his head at Arsenal. I called him a massive fraud when they appointed him based on the information that was reported about his docket of each player and how he can improve them. Who the hell does that?? I didn't believe that story for one minute in terms of its merit as it related to improving the players. I'm not saying he's a terrible coach, just not the kind of coach Arsenal needs at this time. They need a motivator, organizer and someone who can sort out the playing system there.

Snuffkin

He was way over his head at Arsenal. I called him a massive fraud when they appointed him based on the information that was reported about his docket of each player and how he can improve them. Who the hell does that??
The Poch.
Another Fraud.
At least Ole Gunnar is humble and is planning for the future of the club, not his own personal portfolio.

TheReligion

Abusive
Very similar stories to how our post Fergie managers struggled to control the dressing room.

Bad manager, or another example of how toxic modern players can get?

I think Arsenal will go through a few other managers, not too different from what we've gone through.
That sounds awful and kind of feel for Emery. This will get worse for Arsenal by the sounds of it as players are doing what they want and have zero respect for authority and the club. That said there's a clear lack of leadership in the dressing room. The whole situation looks very grim. They just don't care.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
RIP Unai, gone too soon

if I could embed something like that, it would be more like a Disney parade or firework display.

The music was the emotional bit though.. Because inside, each one of them is laughing their arse’s off because they all get retirement money and beyond if they fail like Emery.

As for being part of the management merry-go-round, we were lucky like yourselves to not be part of it for decades, now we’re in it we might as well keep rolling the dice until we get a decent spin.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That sounds awful and kind of feel for Emery. This will get worse for Arsenal by the sounds of it as players are doing what they want and have zero respect for authority and the club. That said there's a clear lack of leadership in the dressing room. The whole situation looks very grim. They just don't care.
Nah, read the ornstein piece, emery completely bungled the job, players turned on him as a consequence