Unai Emery - Ex-Arsenal Manager

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
And this is why they sacked a manager who the fans slaughtered for talking about a "top four trophy"?
He did not win that "trophy" for the second year running. It was not even close.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Good to have Pelle back though, even if its' only West Ham.

Managers like Benitez or Pelle at midtable clubs will atleast ensure the top 6 get some competition in the 2 fixtures against them rather than just rolling over and looking like relegation fodder. Good for the league.
I agree, both are great managers and it's good for the league that they are there.

MUFC OK

I think any Arsenal fan saying they are happy with emery is only saying so as they looked odds on to appoint Arteta last week. Perspective.

AshRK

You clearly haven't followed his career as a manager. He's a very good appointment.
I have followed his career enough to know about the guy. Never said he is a bad manager, he is a good manager and may do well but considering arsenal were linked to Enrique, allegri, Ancelotti , this appointment is underwhelming.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think any Arsenal fan saying they are happy with emery is only saying so as they looked odds on to appoint Arteta last week. Perspective.
I actually think Arteta was a more exciting appointment. Risky, sure, but a similar risk paid off for Barca when they first appointed Guardiola. Arteta seems extremely highly rated by everyone who’s worked with him.

MUFC OK

I actually think Arteta was a more exciting appointment. Risky, sure, but a similar risk paid off for Barca when they first appointed Guardiola. Arteta seems extremely highly rated by everyone who’s worked with him.
I agree and think that with Emery they will struggle to improve on what they have produced this season, especially with EL to contend with. Arsenal fans are muppets though and were desperate for some sort of name, Emery just about fulfils that criteria.

redchamp

I am shocked at most people's reaction to this. To me at least, Emery is a much better appointment than Arteta. Hopefully I'm wrong though :devil:

JSArsenal

For every Guardiola and Zidane example, there exists the following counters: Neville, Seedorf, Inzaghi, Tony Adams and Roy Keane

For all the praise Guardiola has rightly received, he still took over a side that had won La Liga a few years before and the Champions League :( two years before. He also had Messi, Xavi and Iniesta to build his team around. Zidane's Madrid had won the Champions League before his appointment.

Arsenal on the other hand? We haven't won the league in 14 years, miles away from the top 4 and haven't come close to a European semi-final in 9 years.

Arteta might be highly rated but this isn't the job for a rookie manager who has never even managed a B team before like Guardiola did or been a proper number 2 at a top club. By all accounts he's 3rd/4th in line when it comes to Pep's assistants.

This isn't the time to take an enormous risk, Arsenal needed a manager with a bit of experience and tactical nous to get us back in the top 4 and hopefully beyond, Arteta isn't that man.

I can almost guarantee a few of our players would not listen to Arteta's instructions. Ramsey himself said as much, when he said he thinks Arteta will make a great manager someday but its too early. Guardiola was able to command respect because of his reputation as a player and most of those players knew him from Barcelona B. Its been said in the papers that a few of our players disliked Arteta as captain because he was acting like the manager (that could be false to be fair). I also cannot see someone like Ozil paying a word of attention to anything Arteta has to say.

Our players needed a manager who's been there done that and won a few trophies. Its all well good having all these great tactical ideas but if the players refuse to listen, then its all for not. Can Emery instill his ideas on them? I'm not sure but I think the players will listen more to a guy who's won the French League and a few cups versus someone who's never managed a game in his life.

There is also no comparison to be made to Wenger when he first arrived, the press and players might not have known who he was but Wenger had a CV to back him up. I'm sure the likes of Tony Adams, Seaman and Parlour soon found out Wenger was a Ligue Un winner and took Monaco to a European semi-final. Arteta has nothing.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Not gonna lie, I was hoping Arsenal would announce their new Manager 'Arsin Wenga' who was just Wenger with a fake mustache yet everyone involved would categorically deny that he was actually Wenger.

HDRubens

Supports
PSG
Signed up just to answer some fans questions here , as a PSG fan I can tell you this is possibly one of the worst appointment Arsenal could make , in his first season despite having the best team of the league he failed to beat Monaco and Nice in both home and away losing two and drawing two , also failed to beat Marseille at home, simply unacceptable given the quality of the team compared to rest of the league .
in France people remember him for two things : loosing to barça by six goals and losing the league title the rest is worth nothing compared to the latter two, having the likes of cavani neymar Mbapee veratti and a bench of draxler etc you are supposed to storm the league, in his last tv interview ( BeIN sports france ) he told them that the players never bought into his philosophy and he just gave up with them also he couldn't control his dressing room nor gaining respect stating that the loss to barça he warned the players who simply ignored him and told him " boss relax we won 4 nil " some of them gone partying the night before the game.

In any means he is a good move/fit for Arsenal who needs someone with more authority and charisma to turn things around

RedDevil@84

Can someone let me know why some people were excited about Arteta? Any remarkable achievements or player quotes about his coaching?
Surely, it is not only because City are playing well

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Would you feel that way if it was United that was hiring Arteta this summer instead of a proven manager?

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Most of us would just be happy to see Mourinho go to be fair, so yeah.
So if Mourinho had been sacked this summer instead of Wenger would Arteta have been your first choice as next United manager or even on a 3-5 shortlist?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
So if Mourinho had been sacked this summer instead of Wenger would Arteta have been your first choice as next United manager or even on a 3-5 shortlist?
Not Arteta, as he doesn't have any United affinity but if say Carrick was in the same position then I'd be inclined to have in my options. Although I'd have still wanted Jardim or Allegri before any other.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Not Arteta, as he doesn't have any United affinity but if say Carrick was in the same position then I'd be inclined to have in my options. Although I'd have still wanted Jardim or Allegri before any other.
I wouldn't compare Mikel to Carrick at all. Carrick was with you 12 years winning everything with you.
Arteta was only an Arsenal player for 5 years and the last two of those years he was virtually retired as his body was gone. He really was only a useful contributor for two seasons. And he never ever seemed like he was an "Arsenal man" to me. Always seemed like he was still more an Everton man. Just like Cech. Cech has always been a Chelsea man even though he will, tragically, end up playing at Arsenal for probably 5 years total as well. But Cech was not, is not and will never be an Arsenal man.

I just don't see it with Arteta as manager. He was neither an important player in Arsenal's history nor has he ever seemed like he cared about the club at all. I personally don't see him as the next Arrigo Sacchi so I think his appointment to Arsenal after just two years as a member of Pep's staff (not even his no.2 in reality) would have been a horrible move and doomed to failure.

Emery might not have been my first choice but there are probaly a dozen managers I feel far more excited about than Arteta.

And to be honest as an Arsenal fan, I would love it if you appointed Carrick instead of Mourinho ;)

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
This is apparently why Emery was given the job.

In the meeting, which was led by Ivan Gazidis, Raul Sanllehi and Sven Mislintat, Emery put on an incredible presentation where he gave a forensic analysis on every single Arsenal player.
Emery explained exactly how he would improve each player, too, and then identified the two names he would build his squad around: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Aaron Ramsey.

A source said: "He knew more about the Arsenal squad and every relevant detail about their career path and injury histories than people who had been at the club for years."
If there is even a kernel of truth in that, its easy to see why he would be preferred over Arteta.

https://www.givemesport.com/1318151...l-chiefs-in-secret-meeting-about-managers-job

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Well he has just put Ramsey in a fantastic position to negotiate his new contract if that is true.
True. Also it was doubtful whether Ramsey would have re-signed with Arteta, as Ramsey is on record saying its a little early for him to be managing Arsenal.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

extincti fugax hominum

At least they will win the Europa League next season as he is a master of it. And i prefer an English club to win it (other than Chelsea) rather than a Spanish club again.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Any new idea is welcomed at this point. We really need to restore discipline and motivation back to the team, fix the aging and leaky defense and sort out the balance in midfield. Not an easy task with the rumored 50M transfer budget.

Loublaze

ATLien
Signed up just to answer some fans questions here , as a PSG fan I can tell you this is possibly one of the worst appointment Arsenal could make , in his first season despite having the best team of the league he failed to beat Monaco and Nice in both home and away losing two and drawing two , also failed to beat Marseille at home, simply unacceptable given the quality of the team compared to rest of the league .
in France people remember him for two things : loosing to barça by six goals and losing the league title the rest is worth nothing compared to the latter two, having the likes of cavani neymar Mbapee veratti and a bench of draxler etc you are supposed to storm the league, in his last tv interview ( BeIN sports france ) he told them that the players never bought into his philosophy and he just gave up with them also he couldn't control his dressing room nor gaining respect stating that the loss to barça he warned the players who simply ignored him and told him " boss relax we won 4 nil " some of them gone partying the night before the game.

In any means he is a good move/fit for Arsenal who needs someone with more authority and charisma to turn things around
So this is this the general consensus/viewpoint of most PSG supporters regarding his time there? If that's the case you guys are just as spoiled-rotten as Real Madrid fans.

Loublaze

ATLien
I am shocked at most people's reaction to this. To me at least, Emery is a much better appointment than Arteta. Hopefully I'm wrong though :devil:
So am I. Arteta has done nothing yet. A team like Arsenal should be going for a proven manager with a winning record. Arteta is another Giggs.

Can someone let me know why some people were excited about Arteta? Any remarkable achievements or player quotes about his coaching?
Surely, it is not only because City are playing well
It is, think some of that Guardiola magic has rubbed off on him!

Dominos

Seems to me this guy is getting far too much credit for winning some cup competitions. The league will always be a much more accurate barometer of a team (and their manager)

With Valencia he finished 6th, then 3rd, 3rd, 3rd; which is pretty good but nowhere near as impressive as what, say, Simeone or Benitez achieved. His next job was a fairly disastrous stint at Spartak, sacked after just 26 games in charge. Then it was back to Spain where Sevilla finished 5th, 5th and 7th in La Liga. Then he was off to France, where he managed to lose a one horse race.

Europa cup runs aside that's a cv that clearly puts him a level below the best managers around. I know that Arsenal didn't have many options but I see absolutely no evidence to think Arsenal will win the Premier League with this guy in charge (or even come close) and that's surely what they should be aspiring to do, considering how much their fans pay to watch them play?
Out of interest is there anyone you could put in charge of Arsenal that would make you think they could win the league?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Out of interest is there anyone you could put in charge of Arsenal that would make you think they could win the league?
If i am the arsenal board, I would focus on winning the fans back to the stadium, then top 4. The pressure to win the league title is on Man City/Utd and Chelsea given the wage and transfer budget, and not arsenal, pool and spurs.

SirMattBugsby

Arsenal's squad isn't that bad, is it? If they make two good signings in central defensive areas (CDM, CB), they'll atleast have a good eleven.

Emery's focus will be to improve them at the back. I think he can do that and get top four.

Bojan11

I hate it when people make that comparison to Guardiola or Zidane.

Barca and Madrid have squads stacked with world class talent. So they can make a risk appointment because the worst that can happen is they finish 3rd. They are only competitive with each other.

Arsenal have got 5 other clubs above them and then you got Everton/West Ham trying to break through. Premier league clubs can’t make these risky appointments like Bayern/Barca/Madrid can make. The competition is too competitive.

Arsenal also don’t have a squad stacked full of world class players like Guardiola walked into.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’d be worried if they hired someone with a track record of winning league titles with an unfancied team. Someone like Simeone or Jardim. Feck it, even Benitez or Rodgers have looked more likely to bloody the nose of the real heavy-hitters than Emery has ever done.

Newman123

Supports
Arsenal
Emery's website has leaked his signing and made it official now.