Unai Emery - Ex-Arsenal Manager

Kapardin

He is good for EL but poor in the league. I wish him the best because I like him, so long as he gets Top 4, the Arsenal board will be happy. I doubt they are hiring him thinking he will win the league anyway.

One less headache for us to deal with in terms of rivals.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Good appointment. He was very good for Sevilla.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Pretty safe and a much better appointment than Arteta.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I love how a lot of Arsenal fans are crying over Arteta just because he was Pep's men.

Emery is still good, despite his P.S.G. years. What he did at Seville was just amazing.

Prefer him over Tuchel / Arteta. Don't know where this love for tuchel come's from, he's hardly been pulling up trees in germany, and only won the pokal once. He'll suffer the same fate at PSG just like Unai, with the board telling him no CL ur sacked. the cycle will then continue.
Why's that?

Kapardin

I love how a lot of Arsenal fans are crying over Arteta just because he was Pep's men.

Emery is still good, despite his P.S.G. years. What he did at Seville was just amazing.
Think he will have Klopp's number, Emery is responsible for the second best footballing moment of our lives after the Slip.:drool:

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Pellegrinni got Villarreal and Malaga in the champions league. Malaga were unlucky to lose to Dortmund in 2013. And we all know if Riquelme sticks that penalty away then Arsenal are not reaching the final.

Also Man City had Kompany, Silva, Toure and Aguero at their peak. Arsenal have nothing alike. Pellegrinni had a open chequebook. Emery doesn’t.
Eh? It would have gone on to extra time. We also missed a glorious sitter near the end.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Could be worst. We could hire Moyes then Van Gaal and spend hundreds of millions only to finish 5th.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Good appointment, not someone who will set the EPL alight but can steady the falling ship. If Arsenal maintain a decent challenge for the top 4, even without making it, along with cup runs in either the FA Cup or Europa League, then it can be considered a decent season.

What Arsenal are at risk of is falling further and potentially into mid-table, like United with their 7th place finish under Moyes. If they hired Arteta then that would've been a high risk, Emery should atleast prevent that from happening.

waza7111

He's a decent manager but they need a lot of new players. He won't be able to do much with a £50 million budget. That's enough for 1 player these days.

Kapardin

Good appointment, not someone who will set the EPL alight but can steady the falling ship. If Arsenal maintain a decent challenge for the top 4, even without making it, along with cup runs in either the FA Cup or Europa League, then it can be considered a decent season.

What Arsenal are at risk of is falling further and potentially into mid-table, like United with their 7th place finish under Moyes. If they hired Arteta then that would've been a high risk, Emery should atleast prevent that from happening.
There is not much chance of finishing below 6th, and even if they finish 7th, it is no worse than finishing 6th. If Arsenal don't get atleast 4th, it will be a failure for Emery, unless he wins the Europa.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
There is not much chance of finishing below 6th, and even if they finish 7th, it is no worse than finishing 6th. If Arsenal don't get atleast 4th, it will be a failure for Emery, unless he wins the Europa.
Well we did finished 7th with Moyes, so it is entirely possible if the manager has no clue about what he's doing, which could've been the case with an inexepreinced manager like Arteta.

And while it may not make a difference in terms of European competition, mentally it can make a big difference if they continue on their current trend of not being a threat to the top 4. What's more important is to show some semblence of improvement and challenge the top 4, even if not making it in the end.

mariner85

Compared to who? Wenger or Arteta? Because Wenger's always been well capable of getting top four/silverware. Arsenal fans are hoping for more than that from their next manager.
To both of them. Wenger I thought couldn't handle the competition once City, Pool and Spurs stepped up. He was quite naive (IMO only) in his tactics during his last few years.
Arteta is somebody I have no idea about, but Emery has some top flight experience at least.

His failure to take PSG to glory shouldn't be considered a huge failure IMO.

Kapardin

Cnuts like Neymar, Silva, Alves etc wouldn't allow him too. The player power at PSG is worse than Real or Chelsea. They require a manager with the gravitas of Mourinho, Conte or Guardiola to keep them in order, I am not sure even Tuchel can handle them.

I believe Emery would have played 4-2-3-1 during the whole of his PSG tenure if it wasn't for the players forcing a shift to 4-3-3. So, overall, his failure at PSG shouldn't be seen as a big deal, but historically, he's been a poor league manager and good for the cups.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Cnuts like Neymar, Silva, Alves etc wouldn't allow him too. The player power at PSG is worse than Real or Chelsea. They require a manager with the gravitas of Mourinho, Conte or Guardiola to keep them in order, I am not sure even Tuchel can handle them.

I believe Emery would have played 4-2-3-1 during the whole of his PSG tenure if it wasn't for the players forcing a shift to 4-3-3. So, overall, his failure at PSG shouldn't be seen as a big deal, but historically, he's been a poor league manager and good for the cups.
Alves and Neymar weren't even at the club when the tactical shenanigans occured, they have nothing to do with it even though they reportedly added locker room issues but that's with the other players. Also no one will keep them in order because it comes from El Khelaifi, the only one able to do it was Leonardo as a DOF.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Interesting appointment, and in my opinion a good one, not that I think they'll get top 4 next season either, but the PSG CL failures are hardly on him alone.

KM

To both of them. Wenger I thought couldn't handle the competition once City, Pool and Spurs stepped up. He was quite naive (IMO only) in his tactics during his last few years.
Arteta is somebody I have no idea about, but Emery has some top flight experience at least.

Although losing out to Monaco in French League was defintely a huge failure. His reign at PSG is only 4 or 5 out of 10. Both of the CL exits have been shocking.

It's weird that Arsenal didn't went for Jardim but I think this a safer appointment than Arteta. Arsenal definitely couldn't risk someone like Arteta right now.

Murray3007

Think it seems about the best they could have got in the current market, if reports were to be believed there is not a big transfer budget which maybe stopped the higher level of manager. only thing Seville were very good at bringing players in but i think was it not more to do with the director of football (cant remember his name sure he just went to an italian side not long ago). will be interesting to see what kind of players hes after.

Javi

Emery is ok. The real burner is the reported transfer budget of £50m net. Some serious fishing needed to get decent players with that money especially given that they have a.) not a lot of value to sell and b.) need rather big reinforcements (CB, FB, CM and probably a winger too). Top 4 odds next season at this point in time: 10%

JPRouve

Scout
Although losing out to Monaco in French League was defintely a huge failure. His reign at PSG is only 4 or 5 out of 10. Both of the CL exits have been shocking.

It's weird that Arsenal didn't went for Jardim but I think this a safer appointment than Arteta. Arsenal definitely couldn't risk someone like Arteta right now.
It wasn't a huge failure, not when Monaco had 95 points and the record is 96.

Member 90887

How so ? he had some of the most expensive players in the world, an attack of Neymar, Mbappe and Cavani, Di Maria, Draxler ... it's one of the best collection of players in the world, he has one of the best midfielder in the world in Verratti, one of the best defenses .... and he is playing in a league where there's no pressure.

He should have done way better. How is he gonna do with Arsenal with the squad they have ? in the league they play in ?

mariner85

How so ? he had some of the most expensive players in the world, an attack of Neymar, Mbappe and Cavani, Di Maria, Draxler ... it's one of the best collection of players in the world, he has one of the best midfielder in the world in Verratti, one of the best defenses .... and he is playing in a league where there's no pressure.

He should have done way better.
That is not everything, having big names. He should have control over the club . From news reports it was the owners, then Neymar who had power over there. Even then in the CL he came close to knocking out Barca if not for a few refereeing errors IMO.

KM

It wasn't a huge failure, not when Monaco had 95 points and the record is 96.
So you were expecting Monaco to win that year's title? Considering the huge financial gap, of course it is an huge failure of a PSG manager to win the league.

JPRouve

Scout
So you were expecting Monaco to win that year's title? Considering the huge financial gap, of course it is an huge failure of a PSG manager to win the league.
I expect Monaco to compete every other seasons, PSG have the advantage of stability but Monaco since 2014 have shown that they are able to reach very high levels. Now my point is that Monaco's title has nothing to do with PSG, they didn't win because PSG failed they win because they reached a level that has almost never been reached in Ligue 1 and unlike PSG they didn't do it in a season where everyone else was bad unlike PSG in 2015-2016, in the end out of all PSG's titles only one would have seen them beat Monaco.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Did you consider Ferguson a huge failure in 98 for failing to win the league? Or in 2002?

I'd consider Monaco's year more Jardim's success than Emery "failing".

KM

Did you consider Ferguson a failure in 98 for failing to win the league? Or in 2002?

I'd consider Monaco's year more Jardim's success than Emery "failing".
That's a pretty stupid comparison.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Seems to me this guy is getting far too much credit for winning some cup competitions. The league will always be a much more accurate barometer of a team (and their manager)

With Valencia he finished 6th, then 3rd, 3rd, 3rd; which is pretty good but nowhere near as impressive as what, say, Simeone or Benitez achieved. His next job was a fairly disastrous stint at Spartak, sacked after just 26 games in charge. Then it was back to Spain where Sevilla finished 5th, 5th and 7th in La Liga. Then he was off to France, where he managed to lose a one horse race.

Europa cup runs aside that's a cv that clearly puts him a level below the best managers around. I know that Arsenal didn't have many options but I see absolutely no evidence to think Arsenal will win the Premier League with this guy in charge (or even come close) and that's surely what they should be aspiring to do, considering how much their fans pay to watch them play?

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
That's a pretty stupid comparison.
No its not. The year Monaco won,in hindsight they had the best squad.

So why is PSG not winning one year a failure but Ferguson not a failure for not winning every year United has best squad ? You were favorites in 97/98 pre season btw

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Is he a good appointment though? Saw a tweet doing the rounds with some of the following stats, apologies if its been posted:

At Sevilla:
Never finished in the top 4
Went a full season without an away win in La Liga (:eek:)
Finished 7th in his last season

At PSG:
Lost Ligue 1 to some kids
Never made it past the round of 16 in the Champions League
That bottle-job against Barca deserves a mention here too imo

Obviously there are stats to refute this with, 3 consecutive Europa League wins and 3 consecutive 3rd place finishes with Valencia, but I still think the stuff above is seriously damning.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Is he a good appointment though? Saw a tweet doing the rounds with some of the following stats, apologies if its been posted:

At Sevilla:

At PSG:

Obviously there are stats to refute this with, 3 consecutive Europa League wins and 3 consecutive 3rd place finishes with Valencia, but I still think the stuff above is seriously damning.
Fit right in with Arsenal then.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports

At Sevilla:

At PSG:

Better than Arteta and it seems the best willig to come to Arsenal (Jardim and Allegri we couldnt get apparently )

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Decent appointment in that Arsenal will be a well organised cup team under Emery (Sevilla reached a Copa del Rey final as well as a quarter-final, apart from winning the Europa League thrice) despite the monetary restrictions - which might have dissuaded other, arguably better, coaches. But his league record is rather uninspiring — though to be fair, he did pretty well in terms of mixing up the squad for 50+ games. Guess Arsenal want to maintain the status quo from last season (this doesn't seem as ambitious of a move as Liverpool-Klopp), or maybe tailor the organisation's approach to target the Europa League as a gateway to the Champions League (much like we did in 2016/17).

On a personal level, I quite like his Bielsa-esque obsession with the details:
Emery does not employ a video analyst, instead compiling, cutting and editing footage of opponents himself. "For every game, I might spend 12 hours just on the video," he explained. "In an hour the players have to understand everything you've seen in 12."
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2359924.html