Unai Emery - Ex-Arsenal Manager

Sigma

I would be pretty underwhelmed if I was an Arsenal fan.

Bojan11

Just seen on twitter Sevilla went the whole 15/16 season without winning away from home.

Had to check for myself and it’s true. :lol:

Jacko21

Since when? Their 5 last managers are Kombouaré, Ancelotti, Blanc, Emery and now Tuchel. If anything their type is not elite.
Ancelloti is much more their kind of manager. Blanc, Emery and now Tuchel are all a product of timing and availability.

City and PSG aren't all that dissimilar. New-found wealth, trying to create history and desperate to dine at the tope table. Except City have Guardiola, PSG meanwhile...

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Sevilla league record in his 3 seasons is not good at all, conceded 52,45 and 50 goals in those 3 seasons

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ancelloti is much more their kind of manager. Blanc, Emery and now Tuchel are all a product of timing and availability.

City and PSG aren't all that dissimilar. New-found wealth, trying to create history and desperate to dine at the tope table. Except City have Guardiola, PSG meanwhile...
Nah, it's fairly obvious that they don't have a type, in fact if Leonardo didn't lost his mind on a referee no top manager could have worked at PSG because he was the absolute boss.

They just go for the best manager available, they have no type.

Enigma_87

You know who
Since when? Their 5 last managers are Kombouaré, Ancelotti, Blanc, Emery and now Tuchel. If anything their type is not elite.
Ancelotti is elite manager mate.

Jose, Pep, etc. in other words experienced manager used to that kind of dressing room and pressure of winning.

JPRouve

Scout
Ancelotti is elite manager mate.

Jose, Pep, etc. in other words experienced manager used to that kind of dressing room and pressure of winning.
And he is the only one, one appointment don't make a type. They don't have a type, whether it is in terms of personality, experience or resume. They just go after the best manager available.

Smithy_123

Given his success in the EL, it's clear that Arsenal know they have little hope of getting top 4 so will need to win the EL to get there. Genius.

ti vu

Just seen on twitter Sevilla went the whole 15/16 season without winning away from home.

Had to check for myself and it’s true. :lol:
Wenger already laid the ground work? ... :devil: Need some finishing touch

Ekeke

Valencia fans had a problem, not Emery. Valencia were a heavily indebted club that always finished 3rd even after they sold Mata, Villa, Silva, etc.
He left the club and they became a middle table team.
And you didnt read. I followed the club closely at the time, a lot of players were suspended or fined for not coming to training, being late, breaking curfew etc. Some players more than once themselves, but it was a good 4 or 5 different players suggesting the players didnt respect him rather than 1 or 2 problem players.

el3mel

Sevilla league record in his 3 seasons is not good at all, conceded 52,45 and 50 goals in those 3 seasons
That's my point over him. Good offensive manager but he's not going to improve their defensive side at all. A new Wenger, which will be great.

James Peril

Pretty dull appointment by Arsenal, but he’s the perfect fall-out guy after Wenger. I hope he reinstates St. Totteringhams Day just for shits and giggles, would be fun to see Spurs pay off their new stadium with Europa League-money. And keep Kane whilst at it

Rajma

Emery as manager and an extension for Wilshire. Doesn't get any better than this.
Came here to post this. Emery gonna improve them a notch (by a default) but not nearly enough to ever seriously compete.

Cloud7

Very happy with this appointment. Not an elite level coach like Allegri or Ancelloti, not one of the most highly rated managerial talents like Tuchel or Sarri, and not a complete unknown who could turn out brilliant like Arteta. A known quantity who isn’t that good. Good stuff.

Nick7

How is Sarri a managerial "talent"? He's older than Mourinho and has been managing teams since 2000.

JPRouve

Scout
Not recently but all I've heard is that he loves it at Monaco. It's the perfect job for him.
I heard the same thing but I still always gamble on departure. At some point Monaco will be too small for him but I don't know where he will like to go, Atletico maybe?

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
So it's gonna be Emery. Compared with Arteta, i am more than happy. He knows how to win the Europa League at least! :D

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The idiots on AFTV will cling to his Europa League success with Seville but with their squad and their apparent lack of money this summer they needed an Allegri, Ancelotti or someone of that quality to give them even a sniff

Not as bad an appointment as Arteta would have been but not far off

Miscemayl

Disappointed, wanted Arteta to be their manager. Why did they go and hire someone with experience and titles.

JMack1234

I wanted them to get Arteta but even so I was an Arsenal fan i'd be relieved more than happy.

JPRouve

Scout
How is Sarri a managerial "talent"? He's older than Mourinho and has been managing teams since 2000.
He was an amateur, he quit his job at the bank in 2001 and started from the 6th division, no jobs for the boys.

Fergies Slippers

Could have been worse... They could have employed David Moyes after having Arsene for 22 years.

Think they need a strong transfer window or they could slip even further into mediocrity.

And you didnt read. I followed the club closely at the time, a lot of players were suspended or fined for not coming to training, being late, breaking curfew etc. Some players more than once themselves, but it was a good 4 or 5 different players suggesting the players didnt respect him rather than 1 or 2 problem players.
So did I, and not from thousands of miles away.
You didn't get a lot of things about ownership, local politics and Valencia's board in those years and that's why you can't see the full picture. It was a mess.
Emery couldn't take any disciplinary actions against anyone, he didn't have the authority to do it. The board didn't want their players to lose value, the want them on the pitch in order to sell them as soon as posible.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
I'm pretty happy. Emery has a proven track record of cup trophies, something which is vital when competing with billionaire clubs which eat league titles for breakfast.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Better appointment than Moyes. Arsenal would have made the same mistake United did if they appointed Arteta. Unai Emery did well with Sevilla and Wenger left him a very good attacking unit.

ti vu

The idiots on AFTV will cling to his Europa League success with Seville but with their squad and their apparent lack of money this summer they needed an Allegri, Ancelotti or someone of that quality to give them even a sniff

Not as bad an appointment as Arteta would have been but not far off
TBF, Sevilla operated on shoestring budget and had high player turn over every years. Him to adapt to new players and achieved what he did back then is quite good. Arsenal probably won't spend big and would need to sell to fund new purchase. To have a coach with experience in this type of situation is useful. And the high profile coaches look like they are the ones to decline Arsenal offer due to lack of financial backing. Arsenal is not that attractive club for high profile coaches tbh

JSArsenal

There has been a big misunderstanding about the budget.

People quote this £50m and they mistakenly believe that means "Arsenal have exactly £50m in *net spend* for outgoing transfers this summer". That's not an accurate understanding.

This is why the whole "net spend" invented by the media is misleading. What that number actually means is that Arsenal apparently have £50m in annual budget space available. That is not the amount of "net spend" available.

What people don't realize is clubs always amortize transfer fees over the course of the contract for the account.
So let's say Arsenal buy a player for a £40 million transfer and sign him to a 4 year deal. We do not then subtract £40m from the budget. We only subtract £10m.

So after buying a player for what is reported as a £40m transfer fee in the media, Arsenal still have £40m left to spend on their year to year budget.

That's the simplified version and doesn't include wages. But there is already wage space because Mertesacker and Cazorla contracts are down and some fringer players are moving on.
I take it you read the same article I did that referred to a bunch of accounting principles and the like.

Yeah I don't think this is how the club has ever operated. We can't go buy 5 players that cost £50 million each simply because our accounting books will only show £10M for each in the yearly report. ( Don't quote me on this but I think the club still needs to provide consideration to the selling club that it can actually pay the fee in full over a period of time.)

Why would the club get technical like that when discussing our transfer budget with journalists? I can't think of a single other club or entity that talks about transfer fees in public like this.

Even in our annual reports, when discussing our summer expenditure it lists the full value of all the transfer fees combined and then goes on to talk about paying in installments.

If the number is true, then £50 million is £50 million

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
How boring. I was so excited to see how Arteta would do.

:(

Morpheus 7

I think Emery seems a great appointment to fans because they were preparing for Arteta. He's in for a shock in this premier league compared to France. He will improve them but not much if he's not given funds. It will be interesting to see how he gets on.

Enigma_87

You know who
And he is the only one, one appointment don't make a type. They don't have a type, whether it is in terms of personality, experience or resume. They just go after the best manager available.
They should be aiming at experienced managers. Tuchel won’t be huge success imo either.

Bojan11

I'm pretty happy. Emery has a proven track record of cup trophies, something which is vital when competing with billionaire clubs which eat league titles for breakfast.
Well Emery was at one of those billionaire clubs and he certainly didn’t eat it for breakfast in his first season.

Nick7

He was an amateur, he quit his job at the bank in 2001 and started from the 6th division, no jobs for the boys.
Yeah I get that, but he's still been around the block and is quite old. Hardly a managerial talent.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah I get that, but he's still been around the block and is quite old. Hardly a managerial talent.
But you also get that the reason behind the hype and the narrative is because while it took some time for him to get a chance despite decent work, he made a success out of his first decent opportunity, he is kind of a newbie even though he is an old one. Just as an example Mourinho started coaching around 1990 but no one will mention that, they will tell you that he started in 2000 with Benfica. The point that you are trying to make applies to every single manager that wasn't a genuine professional player, they have all been around the block Jardim, Garcia, Mourinho or Sarri because for them the easy route was shut.

James Peril

Exactly, the man is turning 60 and has been managing in Italy forever. Doesn’t exactly scream intercontinental and I doubt he speaks a word of English. If you’re 45 and eager to learn, sure it’s probably fine, but just look at the guy... he’ll be a disaster in England. Learning a new country, league, culture and language... good luck. Aaaand, he has never won a trophy in his career.

Besides, who knows if he’s had a saying in all these brilliant transfers, or if it’s just a major piece of luck from Napoli?

Nick7

But you also get that the reason behind the hype and the narrative is because while it took some time for him to get a chance despite decent work, he made a success out of his first decent opportunity, he is kind of a newbie even though he is an old one. Just as an example Mourinho started coaching around 1990 but no one will mention that, they will tell you that he started in 2000 with Benfica. The point that you are trying to make applies to every single manager that wasn't a genuine professional player, they have all been around the block Jardim, Garcia, Mourinho or Sarri because for them the easy route was shut.
Oh I get the hype, not the people talking about him like he's a baby when it comes to management. Honestly this season is the first I've heard of him and the way people were going on about him being an up and coming manager jobs I thought he was 25 years younger at least.