Unai Emery - Ex-Arsenal Manager

montpelier

If the rumour is correct they have a 50m budget for renovation.
aye, that's the same rumour I read then

need to be some people going OUT then, isn't it? - :D

is it just Ramsey & Wilshere who don't have forward-going contracts atm?

ArsenalBrett66

Supports
Arsenal
Don't see the 50m budget being true at all, newpapers like getting clickbait all the time, Certain we'll give him the money to bring in the players he wants. Looking cautiously optimistic to next season, i'm just happy that we've finally got a change after so long.

A fresh face on the touch line, fresh tactics, fresh everything. Very difficult to finish top 4 next season - With or without that 50m budget, all the teams will be strengthening.

Sigma

Laughable how little the media know. It was all Arteta and now there has been an '11th hour U-turn' just to save face.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He's not the PSG type of manager. Far from it.

He'd do better at Arsenal. The expectations would be lower as well.

Neither is Tuchel on that note.
What is the PSG type of manager?

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Interesting appointment, but a good one I think.

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
Emery is a damaged goods after that Barcelona Remontada fiasco in my opinion.
nah, that's typical Emery since his Valencia days. He'll assure a seamless bottling transition between him and Arsene

Traub

He is as good as they could get. Basically a slight improvement on Wenger as will challenge the top 4 while pushing for the cups.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Don't see the 50m budget being true at all, newpapers like getting clickbait all the time, Certain we'll give him the money to bring in the players he wants. Looking cautiously optimistic to next season, i'm just happy that we've finally got a change after so long.

A fresh face on the touch line, fresh tactics, fresh everything. Very difficult to finish top 4 next season - With or without that 50m budget, all the teams will be strengthening.
Yeah I don’t see the £50m figure being true either. Although I would have been more inclined to believe it if Arteta became the manager.

stepic

Good appointment. Less risky than Arteta or Vierra.

He’s no Allegri though. But then why would Allegri move to Arsenal anyway?

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City
What I do wonder about this (possible) appointment is why Emery has been appointed in the first place? Simply because Sky Sport's report* on his possible appointment mentioned how Arteta wanted asurrances over their future transfer policy (and rightly so as well!), asurrances which they have clearly refused to grant him and thus putting him out of the picture over this job. So the fact Emery has apparently accepted this job makes me wonder concessions the clubs have made towards him over transfers.

Personally I suspect he was more willing to accept the boards terms than many of the main contenders for the job, which in turn means I would not be surprised to see the club under his watch become (at best) serious contenders for the Europa League and the Domestic Cup, while also doing poorly (compared to the rest of the Top 6) in the Premier League and the Champions League.

*http://www.skysports.com/football/n...job-after-mikel-arteta-withdraws-from-running

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Don't know much about him. The Arse team isn't that bad but it'll be tough to do any better with no budget. Maybe he'd get a better budget after the first season.
There has been a big misunderstanding about the budget.

People quote this £50m and they mistakenly believe that means "Arsenal have exactly £50m in *net spend* for outgoing transfers this summer". That's not an accurate understanding.

This is why the whole "net spend" invented by the media is misleading. What that number actually means is that Arsenal apparently have £50m in annual budget space available. That is not the amount of "net spend" available.

What people don't realize is clubs always amortize transfer fees over the course of the contract for the account.
So let's say Arsenal buy a player for a £40 million transfer and sign him to a 4 year deal. We do not then subtract £40m from the budget. We only subtract £10m.

So after buying a player for what is reported as a £40m transfer fee in the media, Arsenal still have £40m left to spend on their year to year budget.

That's the simplified version and doesn't include wages. But there is already wage space because Mertesacker and Cazorla contracts are down and some fringer players are moving on.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Arsenal needed a new culture, needed a strong character to lead them. Emery showed he couldn't get his ideas to work out at PSG because basically their players pouted and then he had what he could to play them in a system that "pleased" them the most.

ti vu

Arsenal needed a new culture, needed a strong character to lead them. Emery showed he couldn't get his ideas to work out at PSG because basically their players pouted and then he had what he could to play them in a system that "pleased" them the most.
Thing is PSG attracted and bought top players. Arsenal not so much. You don't hire F1 racer to drive your delivery truck.

Since when? Their 5 last managers are Kombouaré, Ancelotti, Blanc, Emery and now Tuchel. If anything their type is not elite.
It's not about their type but more about they couldn't attract an elite coach while having to bow down to players' demand. You know if players going their with mindset of kings to be served, less of performers to prove a point in comparison of same players going to Madrid, Barcelona... You can only give one side more power than another. Impossible to balance the power lest it turn to a power struggle between 2 sides

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
They didn't even pout, if the rumour are correct they literally told him that they had no time for his tactic and that it was Blanc's or nothing.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I still have no fecking idea why Jardim was seemingly excluded from this process unless there is something we don't know.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
He looks like he traded junk bonds in the 80s.
tbf that was almost my exact thought on Mourinho at the FA Cup final :lol: I thought he looked like a burnt out Wall Street trader

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Better than Arteta!

Underwhelmed in the league with Seville, they conceded a lot of goals.

Great cup manager though.

Bit of a wildcard, will be an improvement on Wenger I think.

I would like to see Arsenal try Veira. Plenty of time though, maybe next time.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Was getting used to the idea of Arteta honestly, don't know what to feel/think about Emery...
The board may think he is a disposable stop-gap coach and hope they have a better picture to present to the Allegris in a year or two.
Arteta's contract was supposed to have a one-year breaking clause, i wonder if Emery does too but i doubt it.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Interesting appointment, I'm keen to see how he'll go.

However the big question is: does anyone agree with me he looks like John Turturro in Mr Deeds?

Turturro

Emery

Acole9

Outstanding
Interesting appointment, that Arteta one would've been a complete disaster. Unsurprisingly all the 'Bigger names' are staying away just like they did when Sir Alex retired.

donkeyfish

This is a Spanish football journo who contributes to espn talksport fourfourtwo etc.
Arteta was exciting due to being an unknown. That seems like exciting speaking as a journalist more than an Arsenal board or supporter.

ti vu

Arteta was exciting due to being an unknown. That seems like exciting speaking as a journalist more than an Arsenal board or supporter.
At least he is true to his profession of being neutral :smirk: