Unai Emery - Ex-Arsenal Manager

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Is it really much different to when Man. City appointed Pellegrini? Obviously Man. City had a better squad but Pellegrini had similar placings with likes of Villareal and Malaga (very good jobs) and then couldn't win anything big at Real Madrid.

Won the title in his first season at Man. City.

Also look at some of the gambles Chelsea have had as managers, Big Phil, AVB etc.

I think Emery will do o.k which will be Arsenal coming back in top 4 and winning a cup, probably Europa given his record in that competition.

For where Arsenal are as a club that would be a very good first season.

JMack1234

I've been far too interested in their search for a manager so the last thing i'll say about is that I think this is a good appointment for them. He's certainly an upgrade on the Wenger of recent years.

However, it's not a appointment that's made the sit up and worry that Arsenal will be heading back up the table and challenging us. Like an Allegri, Simeone or Tuchel. I think Arsenal have signed him up because of his excellent Europa League record and they know that's going to be their best shot at getting back in the Champions league for a while.

Graveyard

Very sensible appointment. I would be relieved as gunner. He is a proven winner, there are not many of those on the market. Only Simeone would have been better, but he would not be interested i think. Enrique would have been the same level of signing imo. Anyone else would have been worse.

Bojan11

Is it really much different to when Man. City appointed Pellegrini? Obviously Man. City had a better squad but Pellegrini had similar placings with likes of Villareal and Malaga (very good jobs) and then couldn't win anything big at Real Madrid.

Won the title in his first season at Man. City.

Also look at some of the gambles Chelsea have had as managers, Big Phil, AVB etc.

I think Emery will do o.k which will be Arsenal coming back in top 4 and winning a cup, probably Europa given his record in that competition.

For where Arsenal are as a club that would be a very good first season.
Pellegrinni got Villarreal and Malaga in the champions league. Malaga were unlucky to lose to Dortmund in 2013. And we all know if Riquelme sticks that penalty away then Arsenal are not reaching the final.

Also Man City had Kompany, Silva, Toure and Aguero at their peak. Arsenal have nothing alike. Pellegrinni had a open chequebook. Emery doesn’t.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
They have a pretty shit, ageing team. He's a decent manager but not better than at least four of his competitors. I don't see Arsenal re-entering the top four next season.

ti vu

They have a pretty shit, ageing team. He's a decent manager but not better than at least four of his competitors. I don't see Arsenal re-entering the top four next season.
If you look at his Sevilla side, he can punch above the weight with lesser players, so look like Arsenal board did look at his CV for this decision

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
If you look at his Sevilla side, he can punch above the weight with lesser players, so look like Arsenal board did look at his CV for this decision
His Sevilla side failed to make top four in La Liga even once. Although maybe they can expect a successful Europa League campaign.

Renegade

I can’t see him fancying Welbeck at all. Wilshere should probably be worried too.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Pity. I wanted them to appoint Arteta and not have to worry too much about them next season, now I'm a bit curious. They probably were going down the Arteta route until the board were aware of the backlash. If I was an Arsenal fan though I'd be breathing a sigh of relief they've appointed someone with an ounce of experience like Emery in the end, there's some jobs in football you just can't give to novices and Arsenal is one of them.

Have to say he can be a great tactician on his day, he outwitted Klopp in that second half in the EL final. Same team came out second half blew us away on the counter and he saved his subs to see out the game. Hope he doesn't have Klopp's number every time we play them.

ti vu

His Sevilla side failed to make top four in La Liga even once. Although maybe they can expect a successful Europa League campaign.
That team was on shoestring budget, worse than Arsenal. His Sevilla sides were close to 4th place though. And in long run, the trophies is better than getting top 4 but can't amount to much within the competition and eventually slide down (Arsenal situation)

Edit: I meant look at Sevilla before his time. They are more mid table side than an European competition qualifying team. He did bring them up a notch, beyond their mean

Last edited:

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
With Arteta there was a chance they found a great manager who can bring back the excitement. Emery is a meh appointment all around.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He took over just as Atletico were coming into their own so only one place instead of two to aim for. At Valencia he did finish third twice.

I suppose at Sevilla they just felt they owned the Europa league so gambled a bit to just keep winning that competition rather than stretch themselves more in the league which is exactly what Mourinho did last season.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Not recently but all I've heard is that he loves it at Monaco. It's the perfect job for him.
I guess if you're a multi-millionaire its easy to love Monaco even more than London

Ekeke

So did I, and not from thousands of miles away.
You didn't get a lot of things about ownership, local politics and Valencia's board in those years and that's why you can't see the full picture. It was a mess.
Emery couldn't take any disciplinary actions against anyone, he didn't have the authority to do it. The board didn't want their players to lose value, the want them on the pitch in order to sell them as soon as posible.
Can you tell me 4 of the players who were suspended or fined at that time?

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I take it you read the same article I did that referred to a bunch of accounting principles and the like.

Yeah I don't think this is how the club has ever operated. We can't go buy 5 players that cost £50 million each simply because our accounting books will only show £10M for each in the yearly report. ( Don't quote me on this but I think the club still needs to provide consideration to the selling club that it can actually pay the fee in full over a period of time.)

Why would the club get technical like that when discussing our transfer budget with journalists? I can't think of a single other club or entity that talks about transfer fees in public like this.

Even in our annual reports, when discussing our summer expenditure it lists the full value of all the transfer fees combined and then goes on to talk about paying in installments.

If the number is true, then £50 million is £50 million
I've seen nothing to indicate that using typical accounting is not the right way to look at it.
That's not the first article making that point about amortization. Either way, that doesn't mean we'll spend it all.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
As long as he can stabilize the defense, figure out the midfield balance that contains players like Xhaka and ozil, and playing attacking football. I am fine with the appointment.

*I can't even remember how many times Wenger switched from 3 CBs to 4 man defense and back to 3CBs last season*

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I'm glad to see Unai land a good job after Paris. I can see him do a good job with that Arsenal roster.

ArsenalBrett66

Supports
Arsenal
Prefer him over Tuchel / Arteta. Don't know where this love for tuchel come's from, he's hardly been pulling up trees in germany, and only won the pokal once. He'll suffer the same fate at PSG just like Unai, with the board telling him no CL ur sacked. the cycle will then continue.

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
TBF, Sevilla operated on shoestring budget and had high player turn over every years. Him to adapt to new players and achieved what he did back then is quite good. Arsenal probably won't spend big and would need to sell to fund new purchase. To have a coach with experience in this type of situation is useful. And the high profile coaches look like they are the ones to decline Arsenal offer due to lack of financial backing. Arsenal is not that attractive club for high profile coaches tbh
This is probably the biggest reason behind this appointment. Not only at Sevilla but also at Valencia he had to work without budget (it was the time when Valencia had huge debt problems), and he probably barely had a say in PSG regarding their transfers. So he's used to coaching with his hands tied. Perfect for Arsenal's management.

NLunited

He was the most logical appointment, I don't understand why the media was hyping so hard on anybody except him.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
I reckon he’ll be a good appointment. I’m more comfortable with him in charge rather than Arteta.

PeteManic

Very middle of the road appointment. Won't improve them but won't do a Moyes. And there really isn't anyone else around right now. A boring if safe choice.

Can you tell me 4 of the players who were suspended or fined at that time?
Of course, but that won't change the thing that you didn't understand the situation properly because distance and lack of knowledge about Valencia club politics, board fights and authority in that time.

Manuel Fernandes (assaulted a cop), el Chori, David Navarro...but the most important of them were the Miguel Brito, arriving late to training, smoking or drinking were minor issues with him, he was involved in a gang shooting(http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/2009/12/26/futbol/1261826803.html) and one day while driving he ran over two grandmas.
After the gun incident, he was only 3 weeks out of the squad. Emery didn't want him to play again, but he had no control over the situation, that's what you should understant. It wasn't his decision, he didn't have that power.

That Valencia squad post-Koeamn was full of k***heads.

Bojan11

Also why is Leon Bailey on that list? Isn’t he courted by big clubs? I doubt Arsenal will splash big on another attacker this season where there are other areas that concern them like CM, CB and GK. I also don’t see Bailey going to Arsenal especially when he probably get more lucrative offers from other clubs.

AshRK

Pretty underwhelming appointment. His league record is quite questionable but he will do well in knockout games. Depends on what is expected from him. Fans may start questioning him if he fails to deliver cl football.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Also why is Leon Bailey on that list? Isn’t he courted by big clubs? I doubt Arsenal will splash big on another attacker this season where there are other areas that concern them like CM, CB and GK. I also don’t see Bailey going to Arsenal especially when he probably get more lucrative offers from other clubs.
Leverkusen want 90 million for him.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Emery is a very good manager and this is a very good choice by Arsenal, people who followed his Valencia and Sevilla teams will know that. At PSG he didn't do enough but with the expectations at the club and a superb Monaco team last season it wasn't easy. He's not getting the credit he deserves here.

My only problem is that while he's a very good manager he's not the kind to bring an identity to the club and Arsenal's identity was so heavily linked with Wenger it now seems like the club is a bit lost. Similarly to United once Ferguson left.

Arsenal playing so badly this season will help this transition as I don't see them playing any worse but it's going to be a big challenge for them anyway and it's bigger than the manager. I don't know the details of it but the whole structure of the club will have to change.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Pretty underwhelming appointment. His league record is quite questionable but he will do well in knockout games. Depends on what is expected from him. Fans may start questioning him if he fails to deliver cl football.
You clearly haven't followed his career as a manager. He's a very good appointment.

Zlatattack

Nobody post Arsene Wenger is going to be good enough. Justaas we've done with Sir Alex, people will judge him by the heyday of the legacy. He is a good manager though and will probably build some backbone into this Arsenal side.

Ekeke

Of course, but that won't change the thing that you didn't understand the situation properly because distance and lack of knowledge about Valencia club politics, board fights and authority in that time.

Manuel Fernandes (assaulted a cop), el Chori, David Navarro...but the most important of them were the Miguel Brito, arriving late to training, smoking or drinking were minor issues with him, he was involved in a gang shooting(http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/2009/12/26/futbol/1261826803.html) and one day while driving he ran over two grandmas.
After the gun incident, he was only 3 weeks out of the squad. Emery didn't want him to play again, but he had no control over the situation, that's what you should understant. It wasn't his decision, he didn't have that power.

That Valencia squad post-Koeamn was full of k***heads.
Your assumptions are silly. I watched every match for 3 or 4 years and kept up to date with the Valencia 2nd team, Valencia Mestalla, and chatted on a Valencia messageboard with the fans under the username "Lillo" based on one of the Valencia Mestalla players. So I can add that twice Banega was in trouble too and was well aware of the headlines about backstage politics, problems with building the new stadium, the lack of money and so on. None of that is relevant to what I talked about.

At the time those fans were being a bit unfair to Emery. He was a very young manager and while not completely convincing, his finishes were pretty consistent. The one concern I had and admitted to those fans was that when you have a bunch of players acting up its because they know they can get away with it. He failed to command the respect from the players like that.

I havent followed him as much since Valencia, but I dont remember hearing anything like that at Sevilla. Then again I didnt follow them closely like with Valencia. And at PSG I honestly have no idea whats up as I dont watch French football

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Emery (despite his flaws), like Klopp, Pep, Pochettino, Sarri, Tuchel, pay great attention to how his team builds from the back. There is a high degree of system and structure in their teams. Unlike our Mourinho.

In my opinion this is the biggest difference between the most succesfull coaches ten years ago and today. Mourinho belongs in the bracket with Capello and Benitez. The Sacchi school of thought. They value defenders with ability to play out from the back, but do not establish system to help them.

Ferguson was similar, but I’m sure he would have adjusted by adding the correct staff to his team. Like he always did.
Rafa employs a press these days. Has done since his Napoli days.

Patrick08

Exactly what I thought. I found it hard to digest when he was'nt linked with the Arsenal job in the papers.