Unai Emery - Ex-Arsenal Manager

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
No its not. The year Monaco won,in hindsight they had the best squad.

So why is PSG not winning one year a failure but Ferguson not a failure for not winning every year United has best squad ? You were favorites in 97/98 pre season btw
Are you really comparing the difference of PSG and Monaco's financials to Arsenal and Man Utd?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is he a good appointment though? Saw a tweet doing the rounds with some of the following stats, apologies if its been posted:

At Sevilla:
Never finished in the top 4
Went a full season without an away win in La Liga (:eek:)
Finished 7th in his last season

At PSG:
Lost Ligue 1 to some kids
Never made it past the round of 16 in the Champions League
That bottle-job against Barca deserves a mention here too imo

Obviously there are stats to refute this with, 3 consecutive Europa League wins and 3 consecutive 3rd place finishes with Valencia, but I still think the stuff above is seriously damning.
In my opinion he is competent and that's about it. From afar I used to overrate him, but it seems that in reality he is a manager that will make good use of your team but won't make them overachieve, he will do exactly what you expect from the squad at his disposal.

Vanya

Pelligrini would have been a better appointment. A premier league winning coach, knows what it's like to manage a top team in england. Usually gets the best out of his players and does well in Europe as an underdog. Also plays the free flowing football that Arsenal fans were once accustomed to.

Emery IMO won't get the same out of the arsenal players. I think he will be sacked by the end of the season.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Are you really comparing the difference of PSG and Monaco's financials to Arsenal and Man Utd?

In 97/98 United were the betting favorite. Arsenal won the league.
PSG were betting favorite. Monaco won the league.

This is why I brought up that in hindsight, Monaco had the best squad in Ligue 1 that year. PSG might have been more expensive but Monaco had unearthed some hidden gems and had a better team overall. Additionally Monaco clearly has a better support structure than PSG.

So really its a perfectly valid comparison for that specific year. Emery no more "failed" than Ferguson failed in 1997-98

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Pelligrini would have been a better appointment. A premier league winning coach, knows what it's like to manage a top team in england. Usually gets the best out of his players and does well in Europe as an underdog. Also plays the free flowing football that Arsenal fans were once accustomed to.

Emery IMO won't get the same out of the arsenal players. I think he will be sacked by the end of the season.

The manager that City fans called "Arsene Wenger on Ketamine"? No fecking thanks

stu_1992

Not sure what to make of this appointment, did well for Sevilla but he didn't exactly take PSG to the next level as was hoped. Even failed to win the league in his first season, albeit in a freak season for Monaco. I expect he'll do well in the Europa League for them, but that's not where they want to be be obviously. Has an incredibly hard job to get back into the champions league via league position as the teams ahead have much more quality (and are all likely to spend again), combined with the fact Arsenal are rumored to have a fairly limited budget. At least they will probably play decent stuff. Will it be enough to appease Arsenal fans? My guess is no. He seems like a bit of a cup manager, but Wenger has won quite a few cups in the last and that didn't help his popularity.

JPRouve

Scout

This is why I brought up that in hindsight, Monaco had the best squad in Ligue 1 that year. PSG might have been more expensive but Monaco had unearthed some hidden gems and had a better team overall. Additionally Monaco clearly has a better support structure than PSG.

So really its a perfectly valid comparison for that specific year. Emery no more "failed" than Ferguson failed in 1997-98
That's the key here. Monaco and PSG don't operate in the same ways, so a direct comparison won't make you understand why Monaco can be bad for 6 months this year and great last season with both situation being totally normal. Monaco purchases players for the future, almost all players are meant to be key players after about 3 years, the beauty of Jardim and Ranieri is that they didn't fail in that regard most players improved every seasons. This leads to three things, Monaco are less consistent than PSG, they spend less than PSG but they can reach a level close to PSG at the end of their cycle.

KM

That's a bullshit thing to say. Just because At. Madrid won the league, didn't necessarily mean they had the best squad in that league.

Leicester won the league, did it mean they had the beau squad?

With the gap of finances which was made evident in the next season when PSG bought Neymar and Mbappe, there's no doubt that it was a collosal failure to not win the title there. It's the minimum thing which is expected there.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Doesn't make any sense. Gap between Arsenal and ManUtd wasn't as big as PSG and Monaco, especially financial strength.

JPRouve

Scout
That's a bullshit thing to say. Just because At. Madrid won the league, didn't necessarily mean they had the best squad in that league.

With the gap of finances which was made evident in the next season when PSG bought Neymar and Mbappe, there's no doubt that it was a collosal failure to not win the title there. It's the minimum thing which is expected there.
Monaco had the best squad in the league though, the only players that weren't better are Bakayoko-Fabinho vs Rabiot-Verratti.

Vanya

The manager that City fans called "Arsene Wenger on Ketamine"? No fecking thanks
:) I didn't know that haha. I think he's a good coach. The similarity of his mannerisms to Wenger are irrelevant.
Time will tell. Let's see how Emery does at Arsenal and Pelligrini at West Ham.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports

Please dont put words in my mouth or make assumptions. I never said that Monaco had the best squad because they won the league.

I said that in hindsight its clear that year they had the best squad because they unearthed hidden gems of players like the star striker PSG then sniped for 150m

In 5, 10 years time when we look back at the squads Monaco winning will not seem surprising despite PSG spending more money

KM

Monaco had the best squad in the league though, the only players that weren't better are Bakayoko-Fabinho vs Rabiot-Verratti.
So you were expecting Monaco to win the league that season?

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
That's the key here. Monaco and PSG don't operate in the same ways, so a direct comparison won't make you understand why Monaco can be bad for 6 months this year and great last season with both situation being totally normal. Monaco purchases players for the future, almost all players are meant to be key players after about 3 years, the beauty of Jardim and Ranieri is that they didn't fail in that regard most players improved every seasons. This leads to three things, Monaco are less consistent than PSG, they spend less than PSG but they can reach a level close to PSG at the end of their cycle.
Well said. Thanks for this post

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Teams can uncover hidden gems so *pre season* we would not expect them to win but 10 years later, looking back, its not all that controversial to say that season Monaco had the better squad even if that wasnt obvious a priori.

Since PSG bought Mbappe for 150m maybe we should consider him a 150m player for Monaco that season since thats what PSG valued his performances at.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Is he a good appointment though? Saw a tweet doing the rounds with some of the following stats, apologies if its been posted:

At Sevilla:
Never finished in the top 4
Went a full season without an away win in La Liga (:eek:)
Finished 7th in his last season

At PSG:
Lost Ligue 1 to some kids
Never made it past the round of 16 in the Champions League
That bottle-job against Barca deserves a mention here too imo

Obviously there are stats to refute this with, 3 consecutive Europa League wins and 3 consecutive 3rd place finishes with Valencia, but I still think the stuff above is seriously damning.
Also sacked after less than a full season with Spartak Moscow. His La Liga record (cups aside) is actually straight out mediocre.

KM

Teams can uncover hidden gems so *pre season* we would not expect them to win but 10 years later, looking back, its not all that controversial to say that season Monaco had the better squad even if thayt wasnt obvious a priori.

Since PSG bought Mbappe for 150m maybe we should consider him a 150m player for Monaco that season since thats what PSG valued his performances at.
I'm not underrating Monaco's squad but I still think considering the pre season expectations and differences in finances, it'll be counted as Emery's failure to not win the title. Anyway let's agree to disagree as we both are not budging!

roonster09

Scout
Teams can uncover hidden gems so *pre season* we would not expect them to win but 10 years later, looking back, its not all that controversial to say that season Monaco had the better squad even if that wasnt obvious a priori.

No, that's now how it works. PSG signed him for 150 Million hoping he will fulfil his potential and stay with them for years, not that he was 150 Million player last season for Monaco.

roonster09

Scout
Also sacked after less than a full season with Spartak Moscow. His La Liga record (cups aside) is actually straight out mediocre.
His La Liga record is not mediocre. 5th, 5th and 7th is decent for Sevilla considering they always lost key players from their squad every season. Same with Valencia, they lost players like Silva, Villa, Mata and others almost every season.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I'm not underrating Monaco's squad but I still think considering the pre season expectations and differences in finances, it'll be counted as Emery's failure to not win the title. Anyway let's agree to disagree as we both are not budging!
Sure we can agree to disagree, but in 5 years I will bring this up as I think that Monaco squad is going to look very good after the players careers develop more!

KM

Sure we can agree to disagree, but in 5 years I will bring this up as I think that Monaco squad is going to look very good after the players careers develop more!
:lol:
Alright mate! Let's revisit this in 2023.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
No, that's now how it works. PSG signed him for 150 Million hoping he will fulfil his potential and stay with them for years, not that he was 150 Million player last season for Monaco.
Likewise considering him a 225K player (as Monaco's accounting would show that season) doesn't reflect his ability either

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Which is more or less irrelevant in a discussion about how good they were a few years ago.
I already stated my opinion fairly unequivocally about how good I personally rate Monaco that season :lol: moving on now...

roonster09

Scout
Likewise considering him a 225K player (as Monaco's accounting would show that season) doesn't reflect his ability either
Not sure who said anything remotely close to that, he was academy player who was a novice, and a grand total of 1 goal to his name.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Not sure who said anything remotely close to that, he was academy player who was a novice, and a grand total of 1 goal to his name.
I'm just going to re-state my opinion one final time to make things clear.

I personally do not consider Emery not winning the league first season with PSG a failure because in hindsight, Monaco had the best team in the league that season and Jardim had them playing even more than the sum of their parts. PSG was more expensive but Monaco's side was simply better that season. So in hindsight, I don't see it as much of a failure, especially considering the context of PSG's player power.

If you disagree, that's fine we can agree to disagree.

roonster09

Scout

I personally do not consider Emery not winning the league first season with PSG a failure because in hindsight, Monaco had the best team in the league that season and Jardim had them playing even more than the sum of their parts. PSG was more expensive but Monaco's side was simply better that season.

Oh I don't think it was a failure, I disagreed with your comparisons with SAF as the gap between ManUtd and Arsenal was very small, compared to PSG and Monaco which was huge.

Jadrim and Monaco had a great season, so yeah it wasn't a disaster. Liked how he set his team up against Barca too, shame how he completely messed it in return leg. I rate him highly though, since his Valencia days.

Pogue Mahone

I personally do not consider Emery not winning the league first season with PSG a failure because in hindsight, Monaco had the best team in the league that season and Jardim had them playing even more than the sum of their parts. PSG was more expensive but Monaco's side was simply better that season. So in hindsight, I don't see it as much of a failure, especially considering the context of PSG's player power.

Now that sounds like the calibre of manager Arsenal should be after! ;)

JPRouve

Scout
I was expecting them to compete, while PSG are always favorite I argued that the season before wasn't the norm and that teams like Monaco were potentially a lot closer than some think. Ibrahimovic won a lot of games by himself.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Jardim would have been an ideal choice for a club in our situation. But he's in the middle of a contract at Monaco. There was no way we could've got him.

mariner85

But how many of those managers were available to them.
With Emery they have somebody who can play the underdog card as well as go deep in cup runs.
Considering squad depth and rumoured budget the best Arsenal can hope for in the league is top four, which is a cup in itself for them

Pogue Mahone

But how many of those managers were available to them.
With Emery they have somebody who can play the underdog card as well as go deep in cup runs.
Considering squad depth and rumoured budget the best Arsenal can hope for in the league is top four, which is a cup in itself for them
And this is why they sacked a manager who the fans slaughtered for talking about a "top four trophy"?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Too true. The last time thing Arsenal needed was a manager who would take time to learn things are in the PL

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
And this is why they sacked a manager who the fans slaughtered for talking about a "top four trophy"?
It's still unclear why they sacked him. I'm convinced it has nothing to do with trophies.
Think Wenger was beginning to hurt them financially.

Kapardin

Yep, Pellegrini showed pretty much the same flaws as Arsene, only with a better team.
Good to have Pelle back though, even if its' only West Ham.

Managers like Benitez or Pelle at midtable clubs will atleast ensure the top 6 get some competition in the 2 fixtures against them rather than just rolling over and looking like relegation fodder. Good for the league.