United’s next manager

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
We move on to someone else, just like other clubs do? FFS as a club we've had two good managers in our entire history and 20 other managers either side of them. Takes a while to find the right manager. Look how many attempts it took Liverpool to finally wind up with Klopp. Why do we act as if it's the end of the world if we have to sack a manager and move on?
The point I'm trying to make is that Woodward will still always intefere and negatively impact anyone that walks in. I'm all for getting new managers but the point is that we have to sort other issues out too.

Okey

No matter who the next manager is, we need to get quality players while we're at it. Our current squad is abysmal. Even Pep would struggle to get them in the top 4. G Neville was right the squad needs investment to the tune of 400 - 500m to compete. After the concensus that we had a disastrous last season, we've gone into this one with an even weaker squad and somehow expect to do better?! Ole is clearly not the one going forward but I feel sorry for him given the state of the squad.

Cloud7

The point I'm trying to make is that Woodward will still always intefere and negatively impact anyone that walks in. I'm all for getting new managers but the point is that we have to sort other issues out too.
The only thing he affects is transfers. An important thing, yes, but it's not the entirety of the manager's job. The day to day training, how we set up for matches, how well coached the players are, in game adjustments etc, how is Woody negatively affecting that?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
As I said in the match day thread, Poch with Ole staying as DoF. With no DoF, it literally does not matter.

marktan

As I said in the match day thread, Poch with Ole staying as DoF. With no DoF, it literally does not matter.
I'd love poch, but we need someone with experience in finding players as a DOF. Whoever's been signing players for Spurs would be perfect. If I were in charge and since United have the money, I'd hire 3-5 people as a collective DOF board to deal with strategy and signinfs. And if they do poor, the club gets a yearly vote to vote them out. Basically like how big companies work - democracy and accountability.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Nagelsmann won't come to us half way through the season. But come the end of the season he might be tempted to join one of the biggest clubs in the world. He will have a perfect opportunity to build his own team in his own image, rather than join a club that is already winning and has many big name players already at the club. Nagelsmann at 32 would suit the United job and might even see it as being a better path at his age than joining a club that is already star studded.

Marco Rose is another coach from Germany who could be a potentially very good capture.
Why would he be tempted to join end of the season ? He is only 2 months to the project he signed for. He is only 32 and would be a huge risk joining an unstable club like us. He has time in his side and will have enough opportunities in future.

Rose- could be a good choice. But again, what experience does he has ? We don't want another Ole.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I'd love poch, but we need someone with experience in finding players as a DOF. Whoever's been signing players for Spurs would be perfect. If I were in charge and since United have the money, I'd hire 3-5 people as a collective DOF board to deal with strategy and signinfs. And if they do poor, the club gets a yearly vote to vote them out. Basically like how big companies work - democracy and accountability.
You've just described the Liverpool approach. They sign players through committee. They use analytics, basically the moneyball approach.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
You've just described the Liverpool approach. They sign players through committee. They use analytics, basically the moneyball approach.
So do Spurs: Levy, Pochettino, Steve Hitchen (Chief Scout) and the John McDermott (Head of Coaching & Player Development)

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Why would he be tempted to join end of the season ? He is only 2 months to the project he signed for. He is only 32 and would be a huge risk joining an unstable club like us. He has time in his side and will have enough opportunities in future.

Rose- could be a good choice. But again, what experience does he has ? We don't want another Ole.
Because Manchester United is one of the 3 most prestigious clubs in world football.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Because Manchester United is one of the 3 most prestigious clubs in world football.
Easy to say, but we can't trade on our history forever. The main obstacle to getting in a top manager in due course is the incompetence at decision making level and the lack of ambition to really compete. We've seen that in the last 6 years everyone who joins the club, manager or player, is swallowed up by this blackhole.

For anyone serious to come in there has to be a major structural change allowing for footballing expertise and authentic ambitions.

JMack1234

Annoyingly it depends how things pan out for Zidane at Real.

Poch is clearly reaching an endgame with Spurs right now, so we could be the lucky benefactors of that or he could go to Real and we revert to type and bring in Allegri because he's the biggest name available.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Easy to say, but we can't trade on our history forever. The main obstacle to getting in a top manager in due course is the incompetence at decision making level and the lack of ambition to really compete. We've seen that in the last 6 years everyone who joins the club, manager or player, is swallowed up by this blackhole.

For anyone serious to come in there has to be a major structural change allowing for footballing expertise and authentic ambitions.
Liverpool haven't won the league for 30 years and have done alright riding on past glories and tempting Klopp.

Our footballing structure has been very dependent on the man in charge. Even in our glory years from Sir Matt to Sir Alex we relied on those figures to lead our football structure. Now I'm not saying I'm against a structural change, I most definitely am. But I don't think our current structure would put off a potential new manager when he sees the money we've splashed in the last 6 years.

Nagelsmann or Rose would become the structure.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Liverpool haven't won the league for 30 years and have done alright riding on past glories and tempting Klopp.

Our footballing structure has been very dependent on the man in charge. Even in our glory years from Sir Matt to Sir Alex we relied on those figures to lead our football structure. Now I'm not saying I'm against a structural change, I most definitely am. But I don't think our current structure would put off a potential new manager when he sees the money we've splashed in the last 6 years.

Nagelsmann or Rose would become the structure.
I hear you. I think Liverpool was a slightly more romantic challenge, a sleeping giant, whereas we are an absolute clusterfeck at the moment. You might well be right though, maybe Nagelsmann would fancy it. But for him to become the structure, as you put it, Woodward would have to swallow his ego (or the Glazer cnuts would have to have footballing ambitions, pardon my french).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We need a proper tactician. Somebody who is an excellent coach first and foremost. Accompanied by a DoF/committee to help with transfers.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We need a proper tactician. Somebody who is an excellent coach first and foremost. Accompanied by a DoF/committee to help with transfers.
This is what we need for sure. Someone up and coming who is considered a hot prospect would be my choice.

beingshe7don

I think Tuchel will be sacked if he doesn't get to the finals of the Champions League. He could be someone to take over. Poch would be my first preference but not sure if he'll leave Spurs and I think Allegri is what we'll end up with.

amolbhatia50k

This is what we need for sure. Someone up and coming who is considered a hot prospect would be my choice.
As long as he isn't over the hill. But yeah, a proper coach with a vision. Ideally it would be someone who has implemented his idea very well elsewhere.

So that would rule out Zidane for sure.

Waynne

I will only have a real sense of hope if we get a new (world class, proven) person in charge of all football related matters who can run the football matters with no obstruction of any kind by the board or Ed Woodward.
Then and only then will i be optimistic.

Until then getting new players and yet another manager is only papering over the biggest crack in the wall (Ed fecking Woodward)

Waynne

What has Ole done to even warrant a position as Director Of Football at Manchester United? Serious question.
Get in the best, most qualified people in these crucial positions and call it a day.

amolbhatia50k

I will only have a real sense of hope if we get a new (world class, proven) person in charge of all football related matters who can run the football matters with no obstruction of any kind by the board or Ed Woodward.
Then and only then will i be optimistic.

Until then getting new players and yet another manager is only papering over the biggest crack in the wall (Ed fecking Woodward)
I think proven/world class is a dangerous term - whether it's talking about players or managers. Sanchez was deemed world class. As was Falcao. Schweinsteiger. Mourinho. LVG.

Obviously we need excellence. But if that comes from someone who has done an excellent job in a single job (Nagelsmann/Ajax coach) rather than success over a decade or two, that's fine by me. And I extend this to players and DoFs/technical directors. It has to be someone who has top class potential IMO. Otherwise we limit our options too much and we're not in a position where everyone is falling over themselves to join us.

It's like wanting to sign 23 year old footballers on the cusp of greatness. Of course if we can find a KDB then that's great but a Mane about to explode will do just fine. Same logic - applied to other roles.

amolbhatia50k

What has Ole done to even warrant a position as Director Of Football at Manchester United? Serious question.
Get in the best, most qualified people in these crucial positions and call it a day.
Agree. Even if not the most qualified, but definitely people to excel in that job. Ole has done nothing to justify getting that sort of job other than "We're Man United. We play fast attacking football and bring youth through". It's not enough off the pitch just as it isn't on it, I'm afraid.

amolbhatia50k

I hope we're on the lookout already.

It's a crying shame though. When Mourinho went we had the perfect chance to reset. We've just wasted an entire year for the exact same process. Fecking state of the club

yanyumin

Massimiliano Allegri,I think he is the chosen one

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric7C

I haven't really been following the European leagues the past couple of years, but what do people think of Tuchel? Is he comparable to Klopp in any way?
Why did he leave Dortmund?

PepG

Supports
Ajax
And that's the very reason why Nagelsmann already rejected Real Madrid's offer last summer. He is a smart guy and knows that he can end up like Andre Villas-Boas who at the age of 41 currently looks like a veteran coach and knows that his best years are gone :lol:

tekkers3

Those wanting Ole out can piss off. Changing managers every few seasons has undoubtedly not been good for the club in recent times.
Ole clearly has a plan and is not going to ask the board to loosen the strings or keep on players that don't fit the United system or want to play for United.
Yes most of the players in the current squad are not United starter standard but those do not appear overnight and by adding 2/3 players a window, plus improving the ones we have got, we will be in a better place in time.

Steamboat Willy

FFS Right now you could have a juggling monkey, Ben Affleck or the Holy Ghost as our manager, and it wouldn’t matter with the current squad. Get us a CF, Two CM and a RW, then we can discuss the manager situation.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Those wanting Ole out can piss off. Changing managers every few seasons has undoubtedly not been good for the club in recent times.
Ole clearly has a plan and is not going to ask the board to loosen the strings or keep on players that don't fit the United system or want to play for United.
Yes most of the players in the current squad are not United starter standard but those do not appear overnight and by adding 2/3 players a window, plus improving the ones we have got, we will be in a better place in time.
Clearly has a plan!

Everyone has a plan until they start losing match

dove

Forgot white text mate.