United Away Record | We've not won anything yet, waaaaaaah

Lentwood

I get your point, I really do. There's an argument to be made for some of us being spoiled. But I bet Ole will be thinking the same, despite all the progress he's made.

Personally I just don't find this unbeaten away record that impressive. Most of the matches we played were in empty stadiums. I think that played a significant part.
I don't really care about the unbeaten record either to be honest, besides the fact that becoming more difficult to beat is a genuine stepping stone on the path to winning trophies.

We're never just going to go from inconsistent mess to champions in one season, especially in a league this competitive. So what the record says to me is that we are moving in the right direction.

arthurka

Everyone knows that for feck sake!

Nobody is planning an open top bus celebration to commemorate breaking the unbeaten away record. Nobody is weeping tears of joy.

It's just one thread on a Utd board with people going oh we broke the record? Oh cool. And then people coming in going IT'S MEANINGLESS, IT'S MEANINGLESS, IT'S MEANINGLESS etc.
Hope you are ok mate?
I am not saying it isn´t a nice thing I just said it´s meaningless.. Oh wait I see you saw that.
Nothing to see here.

He'sRaldo

Even moreso than the trophies angle, the unbeaten run highlights how being cautious and playing on the counter/for draws is not always the best.

The record is in part a result of that pragmaticism. Hopefully this season we risk defeat more often by trying to go full pelt for the win.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
out of interest how do you think fans should acknowledge this record happened?

or do you think we should just not mention it at all?
Come on. People are doing much more than simply acknowledging it. It’s being called an incredible achievement ffs.It is an achievement but there were no trophies won.Also we did lose away in the FA Cup & the CL and we did lose at OT. How many of those undefeated games were in empty stadiums? Don’t tell me that empty stadiums were not a factor.

romufc

We are a top team and we have kept this record because we have been pragmatic in games. Look at games against Leeds, WBA last season, where we should be going for the win, instead we took the draw.

I would prefer to lose 1 game than drawing 3/4.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
The top two threads in my watched list are this thread and "Bluemoon Goes Into Meltdown", the irony.

What happened to our "Redcafe Goes Into Meltdown" thread? There are some excellent contenders here

Djemba-Djemba

Hope you are ok mate?
I am not saying it isn´t a nice thing I just said it´s meaningless.. Oh wait I see you saw that.
Nothing to see here.
You're distracting me from working on a 90 minute film I'm directing celebrating this incredible, awe inspiring success!

Tarrou

Come on. People are doing much more than simply acknowledging it. It’s being called an incredible achievement ffs.It is an achievement but there were no trophies won.Also we did lose away in the FA Cup & the CL and we did lose at OT. How many of those undefeated games were in empty stadiums? Don’t tell me that empty stadiums were not a factor.
I’m not sure what any of this has to do with what I asked

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
But if our manager had the audacity to claim an unbeaten away record (amongst others he’s beaten in his time as manager) without lifting a single piece off silverware in the last few years I’d say ‘OI! SOLKSJÆR! NO! :lol::D
I'm not saying Ole is out of his depth, or a PE teacher, or anything like that. But if he came to my house in the middle of the night, started banging on doors and windows, singing - horribly out of tune - "I'm a PE teeeeeachaah and I'm out of mah deeeepth - nananananah", I'd get out of bed, run outside and shout "Oy! Ole! NOOOOOO!"

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
You're distracting me from working on a 90 minute film I'm directing celebrating this incredible, awe inspiring success!
I'm writing a book myself: "Daring to not give a single feck about winning anything ever again, 'cause of the RECORD!"

Given that most United fans clearly no longer care about anything but the record, it should be a decent seller. You can turn it into another film if you'd like - a follow-up: we can milk this thing for decades to come based on the fact that nearly every United supporter on the planet have now stopped caring about...alright, I'll stop there.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
literally everyone here remembers where they were when we broke the record the other week. how many of us remember where we were when we won the title in 1997? this is clearly just behind the treble year in terms of achievements.

Peter van der Gea

literally everyone here remembers where they were when we broke the record the other week. how many of us remember where we were when we won the title in 1997? this is clearly just behind the treble year in terms of achievements.
Nah mate, that'd be the draw against West Brom

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
this is clearly just behind the treble year in terms of achievements.
It's ahead, I'd say.

I've no idea where I was in the treble year (in fact, I don't remember which year we won this so-called treble for that matter). Whereas I do - on good days - remember which year this is. And I vaguely remember where I was (geographically, that is) a couple of weeks ago.

So - for me it's a no-brainer.

alexthelion

Some deluded sods are so up their own Jacksies they are convincing themselves that going undefeated away in empty stadiums is something to be celebrated. Despite winning nothing and just collapsing in the league .
Noone is celebrating the record, unlike certain posters who cannot do enough to downplay it and moan at others.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Wow.
Some people seem to have major issues with United actually being decent away from home ...

Olecurls99

Wow.
Some people seem to have major issues with United actually being decent away from home ...
"Stop building towards something Ole. You're making us look bad."

Or

"If we don't win something every year then the manager needs sacking."

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
A: Nice weather today for a change! Very pleasant!

B: Shut up, you deluded moron - it could easily start to rain tonight. And who knows what the overall statistic for this year will look like (it will probably be shite, with a PE teacher in charge of the weather). You're celebrating temperatures barely above 20 like it was something to brag about.

A: Er, I'm not actually celebrating it - just saying the weather's kind of nice, which it hasn't been recently.

B: (goes on rant, shouting that standards have dropped, etc.).

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
A: Nice weather today for a change! Very pleasant!

B: Shut up, you deluded moron - it could easily start to rain tonight. And who knows what the overall statistic for this year will look like (it will probably be shite, with a PE teacher in charge of the weather). You're celebrating temperatures barely above 20 like it was something to brag about.

A: Er, I'm not actually celebrating it - just saying the weather's kind of nice, which it hasn't been recently.

B: (goes on rant, shouting that standards have dropped, etc.).
:lol: :lol: Spot on! B is right though, the weather is nice but it's not summer yet, we only celebrate the arrival of summer, we shouldn't appreciate sunny days until then.

I'm pretty sure there are people here who don't celebrate our match wins anymore, as neither a win by a big margin, nor a win coming from behind, nor even a win against a title rival is equivalent to a trophy. Only trophies count, anything else shouldn't even be commented about, talk less of appreciating. Football must surely be a chore for some of our fans.

Champ

"Stop building towards something Ole. You're making us look bad."

Or

"If we don't win something every year then the manager needs sacking."
The polarization of a fan base, some of whom would rather see the team lose in order to get proved right. :lol:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Stop talking reason here.
People don´t like it at all.
As good as this record is without silverware to go with it is meaningless.
I feel like if you’re not overwhelmingly positive about the direction of the club, players & manager, you’re labelled miserable or an opposition fan. It’s strange. Ole has done a good job at rebuilding the club, making us feel like United again culture wise, and seems like a great guy, but rightfully question him as a coach & you get a hysterical response. I don’t really understand it all.

The away record is nice, but it really doesn’t mean anything, especially considering it was achieved in empty stadiums and with several draws.

The polarization of a fan base, some of whom would rather see the team lose in order to get proved right. :lol:
Nobody wants that. Well, actually, the LUHG/Rants n Bants etc lot probably do, but no sane United fan wants that. I am more than happy to give credit where it’s due, I’ve admitted I was wrong about Harry Maguire, I have questions marks over Ole as a coach & a tactician when it really matters. If he proves me wrong I’ll be delighted & will certainly give him the deserved credit.

Champ

I feel like if you’re not overwhelmingly positive about the direction of the club, players & manager, you’re labelled miserable or an opposition fan. It’s strange. Ole has done a good job at rebuilding the club, making us feel like United again culture wise, and seems like a great guy, but rightfully question him as a coach & you get a hysterical response. I don’t really understand it all.

The away record is nice, but it really doesn’t mean anything, especially considering it was achieved in empty stadiums and with several draws.

Nobody wants that. Well, actually, the LUHG/Rants n Bants etc lot probably do, but no sane United fan wants that. I am more than happy to give credit where it’s due, I’ve admitted I was wrong about Harry Maguire, I have questions marks over Ole as a coach & a tactician when it really matters. If he proves me wrong I’ll be delighted & will certainly give him the deserved credit.
So why then can't fans be happy that we are on a decent run?
I haven't seen anyone celebrating this record, merely saying it's a good record to have (which it is)
Why then do others feel the need to put this record down?
I'd also wager majority of those claiming that the record means very little are probably wanting a different manager. I have no evidence to back that up, but I'd feel confident in saying it.

arthurka

I agree, I have been mostly positive regarding Ole and the direction the club has taken under him but his tenure here will be judged by trophies not some percentage of wins and what not.

It's absolutely crucial for him to show some measurable success after all that has been done since he came, it's a nice record and all that but personally I would have loved to win an FACup or the EL final more than the away record in the PL. Just my preference.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

So why then can't fans be happy that we are on a decent run?
I haven't seen anyone celebrating this record, merely saying it's a good record to have (which it is)
Why then do others feel the need to put this record down?
I'd also wager majority of those claiming that the record means very little are probably wanting a different manager. I have no evidence to back that up, but I'd feel confident in saying it.
It’s a weird one. I don’t know about a different manager, I like the direction Ole is taking us in, but I feel like he’s lacking as a coach. I think he needs a Quieroz type (probably butchered the spelling) & a Rene, where he can handle the man management aspect & direction of the clubs strategy in the transfer market (massive upgrade on Jose/LVG) but have more experienced coaches drilling the team in training. There were points in that wolves game where our boys looked like they’d never met. For me it’s not even an “ole out” thing it’s a “ole get some coaches” or an “Ole DOF” thing. It’s indisputable we are in a better position now than we were before he took over. Anyone who argues to the contrary is blinded by agenda. However he seems to be lacking a bit as a coach to get us over the line when it truly matters.

anant

It's amazing to see people who brought up records like "Worst start in PL for us in 30 years", "First loss to palace at home in 25 years", etc. are the ones who aren't valuing this record. If anything, this record has more data points than those records.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
October & November will be slaughterhouse of fixtures. If we can extend that record further it'll be unreal.

Champ

It’s a weird one. I don’t know about a different manager, I like the direction Ole is taking us in, but I feel like he’s lacking as a coach. I think he needs a Quieroz type (probably butchered the spelling) & a Rene, where he can handle the man management aspect & direction of the clubs strategy in the transfer market (massive upgrade on Jose/LVG) but have more experienced coaches drilling the team in training. There were points in that wolves game where our boys looked like they’d never met. For me it’s not even an “ole out” thing it’s a “ole get some coaches” or an “Ole DOF” thing. It’s indisputable we are in a better position now than we were before he took over. Anyone who argues to the contrary is blinded by agenda. However he seems to be lacking a bit as a coach to get us over the line when it truly matters.
It's a strange one, the lack of cohesiveness between games, your right, the team against Wolves seemed a different team entirely to the one against Leeds.

People go on about coaching at United (or the supposed lack of it in some cases) but Ole has some amazing coaches at his side, so I don't feel it's as simple as that.
For me I think motivation is somewhat of an issue still at times, certain players seem to still lack the hunger to succeed at the highest level, which is why players like Cavani, Bruno and Ronaldo have been signed (also because they are class of course) but they are all winners who strive to better themselves as well as the team. That mentality is needed throughout.

But the simple fact is, as you say, we are on the right track and there's not many people who surely can be Ole out right now.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I dont really give a toss about the away record, since playing in empty stadiums means the home/away advantage is not there any longer.

What it does mean though is we are getting harder to beat and thats important. Having that "fear factor" where teams feel they've lost before the ref blows the whistle can be massive. We usualy had it in the Fergie years and it meant teams showed up at OT just begging for a lucky draw

Chairman Steve

It’s something that I’d view as a sign of progress, rather than an achievement. If we parade it like an achievement then we look small time and would be rightfully mocked by other fans in my opinion.

But the next step should be lifting trophies.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
If we'd played entertaining football on the way to achieving this record I'd be very impressed. We didn't so I'm not.

Peter van der Gea

For everyone saying that it was because of playing in empty stadiums, 1) so was every opposition 2) if the stadium doesn't feel like a home ground to either team, it's a neutral ground, so how many teams have got anywhere near being undefeated in so many neutral ground games?

Its a good record, especially as we came from behind in so many games. We've now got Varane, hopefully we won't go behind as much, so those draws become wins.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
If we'd played entertaining football on the way to achieving this record I'd be very impressed. We didn't so I'm not.
You are being kind.Don’t you mean if we played football like we actually had a plan on how to play the game? You know like we had been coached properly?