United Away Record | We've not won anything yet, waaaaaaah

el3mel

Are people now actually annoyed by people saying the absolute fact that this record didn't result in any significant trophy, not even a single title challenge ? Because..yeah, that's a fact whether you like it or not.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This was harder than winning a trophy, other teams have won trophies before but they’ve never achieved this record. at the wheel

Sweet Square

Bit of an overreaction mate. It’s really not that deep. Im sorry you feel that way about the world. Maybe this year we can improve & win a trophy (preferably major, but I’ll take an FA Cup / League Cup)
It's not really a overreaction. I'm just genuinely curious as to what you get out of posting so much negative stuff. If you find that fun then fair enough I guess. At least to me anyway I wouldn't find it a good use of my time disliking my the football club I support, there's seems to be a decent number of United fans online at least who really aren't into the supporting aspect of football culture.

Amarsdd

Are people now actually annoyed by people saying the absolute fact that this record didn't result in any significant trophy, not even a single title challenge ? Because..yeah, that's a fact whether you like it or not.
Don't twist the situation! People are annoyed because some miserable sods here are so up their own arses that they are not only unable to acknowledge a good thing but also call it "small time" to even acknowledge it. What next? Should we not acknowledge any wins in the PL and celebrate a little until we have won the league?

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
It's simple to me. Did we pick up the most points away last season?

City: 14 W, 3 D, 2 L, 45 pts.
Invincible Man Utd: 12 W, 7 D, 0 L, 43 pts.

No, the champions City did.

Whilst we drew a ton, and got a 'record'. They lost 2 matches but won more, picked up more points, and won the league.

Where's the acclaim over City's away record? Whilst ours is special even though we picked up less points? It feels incredibly dumb and small time to me.

I'd rather throw the kitchen sink risking defeat, to win more, win more points = higher % of trophies, than meekly draw to keep a meaningless record intact, finishing up with nothing.

Last edited:

Amarsdd

Whilst we drew a ton, and got a 'record'. They lost 2 matches but won more, picked up more points, and won the league.

Where's the furore and platitudes over City's away record? Whilst ours is special even though we picked up less points? It feels incredibly dumb and small time to me.

I'd rather throw the kitchen sink risking defeat, to win more, win more points = higher % of trophies, than meekly draw to keep a meaningless record intact, finishing up with nothing.
Where is the furore and platitudes over United's away record? Is it not allowed to acknowledge it and appreciate it is a good thing rather than a bad thing without being miserable for a second?

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Where is the furore and platitudes over United's away record? Is it not allowed to acknowledge it and appreciate it is a good thing rather than a bad thing without being miserable for a second?
Who's record would you rather have, City's or ours?

How am I being miserable? It is fact. We did not even have the best away record so what's to celebrate? There was also no fans present making it even more irrelevant.

If we'd rather draw matches to keep the record intact, then it's not always a good thing is it? I'd happily see us lose the next away match, if it meant we would go for the win in drawing positions much more, and finish with more points overall.

Amarsdd

Who's record would you rather have, City's or ours?

How am I being miserable? It is fact. We did not even have the best away record so what's to celebrate? There was also no fans present making it even more irrelevant.

If we'd rather draw matches to keep the record intact, then it's not always a good thing is it? I'd happily see us lose the next away match, if it meant we would go for the win in drawing positions much more, and finish with more points overall.
Whose record would I have? Better than City, I'd rather win all the 19 away games. Isn't it the same for all the fans? Everyone would want to win all those 19 away games. Saying that, the away record that we got last season was still a good thing rather than a bad thing. That's why I would like to appreciate that rather than moan why we didn't win all the 19 games.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.

Where's the acclaim over City's away record? Whilst ours is special even though we picked up less points? It feels incredibly dumb and small time to me.

Careful mate, you will upset some posters on here with that blast of realism.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Don't twist the situation! People are annoyed because some miserable sods here are so up their own arses that they are not only unable to acknowledge a good thing but also call it "small time" to even acknowledge it. What next? Should we not acknowledge any wins in the PL and celebrate a little until we have won the league?
Some deluded sods are so up their own Jacksies they are convincing themselves that going undefeated away in empty stadiums is something to be celebrated. Despite winning nothing and just collapsing in the league .

Amarsdd

Some deluded sods are so up their own Jacksies they are convincing themselves that going undefeated away in empty stadiums is something to be celebrated. Despite winning nothing and just collapsing in the league .
Again, who is celebrating it? Seriously, look up what 'celebrate' and 'acknowledge' means in the dictionary. And yeah, just so we know, should we celebrate or even acknowledge if and when we win the next PL game cause you know we haven't won the league this season yet or is it too small time to do it?

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Whose record would I have? Better than City, I'd rather win all the 19 away games. Isn't it the same for all the fans? Everyone would want to win all those 19 away games. Saying that, the away record that we got last season was still a good thing rather than a bad thing. That's why I would like to appreciate that rather than moan why we didn't win all the 19 games.
You're missing my point. If you would choose City's (they got more points who wouldn't?), over our invincible run, then doesn't that say a lot about how valuable it is overall?

432JuanMata

Great record and while away results where probably easier with no fans it’s a remarkable achievement
It also highlights our home form as unbeaten that long away in the league should be given you a title or challenge at least.

PoTMS

Nobody is "supposed" to win trophies.

I think a few members of this forum could do with understanding that. The state we were in a few years ago, its a minor miracle we're come this far so quickly
Wait, why is it now scandalous to suggest we should be winning trophies? Yes, Manchester United Football Club are in fact "supposed" to win trophies. We're arguably the biggest and richest club in the world and yet our achievements are now limited to second place trophies, beating Pep x2, Europa League runners up and longest unbeaten away record. Just because we've been run like a shit show in the last few years doesn't mean we should have to accept mediocrity. Yes, it's a good record but it's nothing more than that.

USREDEVIL

You one a dem "math wizards"? Keep your sorcery outta here!

Amarsdd

You're missing my point. If you would choose City's (they got more points who wouldn't?), over our invincible run, then doesn't that say a lot about how valuable it is overall?
I get what you're saying and everyone sees that its not a valuable "achievement". But its stll a good thing and its not "small-time" to acknowledge it. Is it?

432JuanMata

I get what you're saying and everyone sees that its not a valuable "achievement". But its stll a good thing and its not "small-time" to acknowledge it. Is it?
It’s a great achievement but his point is valid. Going unbeaten is impressive but the fact that city got more points away is just showing you would take a loss or 2 if you win the ones you draw.

Tarrou

out of interest how do you think fans should acknowledge this record happened?

or do you think we should just not mention it at all?

USREDEVIL

It’s a great achievement but his point is valid. Going unbeaten is impressive but the fact that city got more points away is just showing you would take a loss or 2 if you win the ones you draw.
Thank you Juan Mata. Truff in 2 sentences. Truff is usually not black and white folks.

Amarsdd

Oh yeah, I have been completely agreeing with that all along. The annoyance is just that some posters here can't even acknowledge it's a good achievement and calling others small time for doing so.

432JuanMata

Thank you Juan Mata. Truff in 2 sentences. Truff is usually not black and white folks.
Look I’m glad it happened and it’s in the history books. I guess last season was the best time to do it since our home form was so bad it didn’t make a difference to our league position

432JuanMata

Oh yeah, I have been completely agreeing with that all along. The annoyance is just that some posters here can't even acknowledge it's a good achievement and calling others small time for doing so.
Of course it’s a good achievement. It also shows that we lack a little turning the draws into wins. Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo hopefully is that difference.

Tarrou

Look I’m glad it happened and it’s in the history books. I guess last season was the best time to do it since our home form was so bad it didn’t make a difference to our league position
surely that makes it the worst time to do it?

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
It shows resilience, and an unwillingness to lose. It's a step in the right direction. But it's not something to protect at the expense of winning future matches.

City's record highlights it's better to risk losing a couple, but turn those draws into wins, than go undefeated only to draw a lot like us.

Tarrou

I think the record is a bit of a statistical anomaly, to be honest, there were definitely quite a few of those games where we got lucky after playing poorly

we're not a great side (just a good side, in my opinion) so it's not a record that goes hand-in-hand with where we're at as a club right now

that said, there are a lot of great things about it too - the amount of times we came from behind is remarkable and shows the resilience of the team, and the togetherness of the team which Ole has cultivated

it's a great platform to build from in terms of confidence, that's for sure

considering where we were three years ago, with expectations at an all time low and the team playing utter crap - it's pretty great to have something like this (despite not earning any trophies from it, and riding our luck at times)

clearly it rubs some posters the wrong way to even talk about the club doing good things, for some reason.. We all know what the reason is, of course

Lentwood

Wait, why is it now scandalous to suggest we should be winning trophies? Yes, Manchester United Football Club are in fact "supposed" to win trophies. We're arguably the biggest and richest club in the world and yet our achievements are now limited to second place trophies, beating Pep x2, Europa League runners up and longest unbeaten away record. Just because we've been run like a shit show in the last few years doesn't mean we should have to accept mediocrity. Yes, it's a good record but it's nothing more than that.
I take issue with any suggestion that because we are Manchester United, we 'should' be winning trophies.

The clubs who 'should' be winning trophies are the clubs who have been well-run, well-managed and who possess talented, hard-working players.

We didn't tick any of those boxes between 2013-2018 so we deserved nothing, which is pretty much what we got.

I don't mind people having ambition, but that's different from being entitled and thinking we can expect it just to happen because we won lots of trophies 15 years ago

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
One of the most depressing threads ever on the Cafe.

"how dare you risk any of us thinking you're happy by mentioning something we've done!"

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I have to say, i am pretty positive about the team as a whole. We have some cracking players coming through, the 1st team, looks good, and potent, and our phil jones is on the mend. Lovely stuff.
But if our manager had the audacity to claim an unbeaten away record (amongst others he’s beaten in his time as manager) without lifting a single piece off silverware in the last few years I’d say ‘OI! SOLKSJÆR! NO! :lol::D

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
I'm so small time, I celebrate every contested throw in United win. I celebrate every drop ball, every coin toss.

If I wanted to see silverware, I'd only switch over from Corrie when cup finals are on, but I support my team and am proud of them for every achievement and no one can tell me I can't be.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Genuinely don't see what entertainment some of you get out of football :lol:

The Hilton

There's a lot of people in this thread that don't understand that there is a scale when it comes to celebrating things, and it's ok to celebrate lesser things than trophies.

We celebrate every goal United score, every win, big signings, saves, tackles, so why an earth wouldn't we celebrate the longest unbeaten away record in the PL? Not saying we need an open top bus parade or anything, but if it's OK to celebrate every goal and every win along the way, then it's OK to celebrate the record.

Withnail

All fans especially the match going fans to remain silent when we score goals as well. Until we win the league it's just small time to acknowledge anything positive.

No fun til 21 is done!

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Or Donald Trump.

So let´s all be grumpy until we win something, shall we. Another 3 points against City, but we haven´t won anything yet. Ronaldo just scored a hattrick, but we haven´t won anything yet. We just beat Liverpool 5-0, but we haven´t won anything yet. Are we signing Haaland? Who cares, we haven´t won anything yet.
Donald Trump would be bigging up finishing 2nd behind Pep though.

"Everyone tells me that's the bestest 2nd place finish ever."

Kind of sounds like Mourinho, come to think of it.

Nobody is "supposed" to win trophies.

I think a few members of this forum could do with understanding that. The state we were in a few years ago, its a minor miracle we're come this far so quickly
I get your point, I really do. There's an argument to be made for some of us being spoiled. But I bet Ole will be thinking the same, despite all the progress he's made.

Personally I just don't find this unbeaten away record that impressive. Most of the matches we played were in empty stadiums. I think that played a significant part.

Real Name

I think people are annoyed some posters are throwing cold water over the record and are negative per se about it. I mean nobody is celebrating it, people are just stating its a nice record to achieve and have and the resident pessimists are all about 'buuuuut it doesnt mean trophies, dont celebrate it, its so small time!' Its just making things up and then making an argument about something that doesnt exist like celebrating the record cause nobody is doing that.

It seems you cant be positive about anything United related these days without someone being a party pooper. Best part was when one poster said it actually isnt a record at all cause games were being played in front of empty stands. Mental.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It's a nice record to have, we did well and I don't think anyone is claiming any more.

Arguments start when someone comes in going "where's the trophy". It's just inflammatory. Nobody was saying it deserves a trophy, and then you get other people saying "sorry we stated facts". How about just let people enjoy things.

arthurka

Stop talking reason here.
People don´t like it at all.
As good as this record is without silverware to go with it is meaningless.

Djemba-Djemba

Stop talking reason here.
People don´t like it at all.
As good as this record is without silverware to go with it is meaningless.
Everyone knows that for feck sake!

Nobody is planning an open top bus celebration to commemorate breaking the unbeaten away record. Nobody is weeping tears of joy.

It's just one thread on a Utd board with people going oh we broke the record? Oh cool. And then people coming in going IT'S MEANINGLESS, IT'S MEANINGLESS, IT'S MEANINGLESS etc.