Jessica Lingard
Andrea Pereira
Toni Martial
Angela Gomes
:lol::lol::lol: I am done with the internet for the day

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Hope they do well. With how things are going in the main senior team I can see them even coming handy!

Smores

Madness!!!! don't they know women's periods attract bears? Is that what you want Ed? Bears!?!

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Am I mistaken that United already do a lot of work promoting local women's talent through coaching camps and training programs? Read somewhere that at least 2 Liverpool players and a couple of other internationals started at United and then went to other clubs. Not sure why there was a delay, but better late than never.

SuzieQ

You are actually aware that the Australian Women's national team was beaten 7-0 by an under 15s boys team in 2016, right?

Every single men's conference team is well above the level of women's football, and every single side in the conference north would beat the no.1 ranked women's team.

Women's teams can be well organised and technically accomplished but the pyshicality just isn't there, which is why many refer to it as a 'slower' version of the men's game, and thereby less exciting.
Which is why it needs better promotion and coaching so it can get better. However the point isnt to be the as good as X right now, the point is to start something that is inclusive of women. If its not yours, or others cup of tea, thats fine. You dont have to watch and you not watching doesnt make you sexist. Everybody has to start somewhere, and these ladies, good or bad, are starting something so that in years to come, being a professional footballer wont just be the dreams of boys. Even if its below conference level as you say right now, that doesnt mean it cant grow into something that rivals the mens game.

Reactions: KM

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
You are actually aware that the Australian Women's national team was beaten 7-0 by an under 15s boys team in 2016, right?

Every single men's conference team is well above the level of women's football, and every single side in the conference north would beat the no.1 ranked women's team.

Women's teams can be well organised and technically accomplished but the pyshicality just isn't there, which is why many refer to it as a 'slower' version of the men's game, and thereby less exciting.
And the game they played against a 15-16 year old boy's team before that one they drew 2-2.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Very pleased we're finally getting back involved in the women's game.

I expect we'll start pretty slow and it'll be a while before we're challenging for anything but I don't mind that. Whatever money we're willing to invest I would rather be invested in producing home-grown talent than signing established players.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Very pleased we're finally getting back involved in the women's game.

I expect we'll start pretty slow and it'll be a while before we're challenging for anything but I don't mind that. Whatever money we're willing to invest I would rather be invested in producing home-grown talent than signing established players.
It looks like that's what we're planning to do.

We've got a pretty good women academy already, so it makes sense.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Which is why it needs better promotion and coaching so it can get better. However the point isnt to be the as good as X right now, the point is to start something that is inclusive of women. If its not yours, or others cup of tea, thats fine. You dont have to watch and you not watching doesnt make you sexist. Everybody has to start somewhere, and these ladies, good or bad, are starting something so that in years to come, being a professional footballer wont just be the dreams of boys. Even if its below conference level as you say right now, that doesnt mean it cant grow into something that rivals the mens game.
Brilliantly said.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
In greatest irony of ironies, there is very little diving and rolling around which is rampant in the men's game.
I know, that's amazing when you think about it like that. :lol:

Yes I was aware, but I'm sure that the US ladies are above that standard but it's a pointless argument because it can't be put to the test. I wish it would though as if the women beat a men's side then maybe they would be respected a bit more.

Golf is a prime example and soon we will see many women finish higher on the leaderboard than men. It's taken a long time for women golfers to earn such respect and it seems it will be the same in football.

mufc90

As a female who has supported United all my life, I think it is brilliant news. I enjoy watching women's football and have followed it for a while. Yes, there is not as much physicality compared to the men's game. That is unlikely to ever change as men and women simply do not have the same physical characteristics and men are naturally stronger than women. I enjoy watching women's because I find the technical skill to be pretty good and there is none of the rolling around like you have just been shot when you have hardly been touched like you see in the men's game.

To those posters who are posting the usually sexist comments, time to do the same thing as the club you support has done and drag yourselves into the 21st century !!

Morgan plays for the European champions lyonaiss and I believe earns 450k USD a year (second highest paid female player after Marta). What can a United women's team in infancy and in a lower league offer her except for its name?
Actually, Morgan plays for Orlando Pride the female club affiliated with Orlando City of the MLS. She did spend a few months with Olympique Lyonnais and then returned to Orlando Pride.

I said on twitter a few years ago when this topic came up, but they should bring in Alex Morgan to be the face of the team if they had any sense. She is probably the face of soccer in the USA not only for her ability but yes, her looks as well if everyone is being honest. But seeing as how they love their marketability here, getting someone as big as Morgan would be a huge coup in getting this all started up.
I would say Alex Morgan wouldn't have any interest in coming over to be the face of the team. Personally, I think someone like Mallory Pugh would be a great fit. When she made her break through to the US Women's National Team she was tipped as the new Alex Morgan. She made the u20's USWNT at 16 for the u20's World Cup and they went on to win the tournament. She's 19 with 33 appearances and has 9 goals. She made her senior debut at 17 and scored in the game. Young players like her who are doing well could be perfect for what will likely be a young team.

Only a few days ago the Madrid derby in women football between Atlético Madrid Madrid CFF had 22,000 spectators and some pretty decent goals

https://shekicks.net/2018/03/19/madrid-womens-derby-attracts-over-22000/

Last edited:
Reactions: Penna

NotATroll

There's a ceiling though. Not a patriarchal one but a biological one. Women won't ever come near to the men's level. That's not being rude, it's just a fact.

Women don't need Man Utd to help them start something that is inclusive of women: they can do it themselves. Or do women need men to help them out?

It's funny that you've described piggybacking one of the biggest clubs in the world as 'starting somewhere.' It's the complete opposite.

CA1

Good luck to them and that but I can't get on a high horse about it because I wouldn't pay to watch women's football as its of quite a low standard.

People who won't pay to watch them can't really complain that we didn't have one.

Denis79

Right decision by the people in charge. Bit odd one of the biggest clubs in the world doesn't have a womens side. Hopefully they'll get good financial backing aswell.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Good luck to them and that but I can't get on a high horse about it because I wouldn't pay to watch women's football as its of quite a low standard.

People who won't pay to watch them can't really complain that we didn't have one.
Of course they can. I don't watch the underage teams but that doesn't mean I don't see the value they bring to the club. Hell, I don't pay to watch the actual first team either most weeks.

If having a women's team benefits the club as a whole (which I think it does) and all our rivals are getting that benefit through their own women's team (as they are) then we can certainly complain about the club ceding those benefits, even if we have no interest in women's football ourselves.

Essentially, if there's any sort of football we can be better than the likes of City or Liverpool in then I expect us to try and do just that, even if I remain only vaguely aware of it.

Last edited:

Twiggy

Amazing news! Although I didn't realise United hadn't already got a women's team, I was sure they would have.

Reactions: Invictus

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Pretty sure they will have at least Giggs as a match goer. Obviously as a scout but still...

redshaw

Kag

About time. I won't be watching it, but it's only right that the club provides opportunity for girls to become professional footballers.

Untd55

I know, that's amazing when you think about it like that. :lol:

Yes I was aware, but I'm sure that the US ladies are above that standard but it's a pointless argument because it can't be put to the test. I wish it would though as if the women beat a men's side then maybe they would be respected a bit more.

Golf is a prime example and soon we will see many women finish higher on the leaderboard than men. It's taken a long time for women golfers to earn such respect and it seems it will be the same in football.
Women will never naturally catch up to men in athletic sports. Men are naturally stronger, faster, quicker at accelerating, and quicker at changing direction. Money won't change that.

Its fine having a women's team, but in reality they would never be able to reach Premier league level.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Women don't need Man Utd to help them start something that is inclusive of women: they can do it themselves. Or do women need men to help them out?
Of course they need people (even men) to help them out. Just like every man's club has done when it's gone to local businesses and asked for help. Even when all those local business got out of the deal was a badge on a ticket and a warm feeling about helping.

In the case of United, it's even more obvious that it was worth asking for help. United have got a lot of things any new club would want, including name recognition, influential friends, technical knowhow and sporting facilities. It's also got a longstanding commitment to its local community that includes helping young girls who want to play football - up until now those girls had to leave (even to play for clubs like City or Liverpool) if they wanted to carry on playing.

It's a great step and the synergy between what women's football needs and what we can offer is obvious.

As a United fan, I'm glad the club's decided to do it, and I don't mind that a slice of my season ticket, Sky sub, BT sub, cost of matchday pie, sliver of sponsorship money from a glass of red wine will go into it. That said, I also believe that the women's game will start to attract sponsors and that United's marketing team will be leading the way with that as well.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Relatively no-one gives a shit in Europe too. All the Women's CL finals are played in front of two-third empty stadiums. People have only got so many fecks to gives and aren't just going to suddenly give the same level of attention to women's, disabled, blind, youth, senior, etc. football because a unmeritocratic form of equality demands so. People will generally want to watch the most elite form of any sport.
I went to the last final in Cardiff. It was great fun.

NotATroll

Of course they need people (even men) to help them out. Just like every man's club has done when it's gone to local businesses and asked for help. Even when all those local business got out of the deal was a badge on a ticket and a warm feeling about helping.
Who are these women of whom you speak? Man Utd is creating the football team from scratch is my understanding. There aren't some women who have started a team and now are asking for funding. These fictitious women seemingly haven't even kicked a ball before they are bawling for a handout.

In the case of United, it's even more obvious that it was worth asking for help. United have got a lot of things any new club would want, including name recognition, influential friends, technical knowhow and sporting facilities. It's also got a longstanding commitment to its local community that includes helping young girls who want to play football - up until now those girls had to leave (even to play for clubs like City or Liverpool) if they wanted to carry on playing.

It's a great step and the synergy between what women's football needs and what we can offer is obvious.
Of course it is of benefit to them but that doesn't mean that they can't do it themselves. Someone else paying my rent would help but it's not like I need outside help. You get in at the bottom and work your way to the top. These ladies don't have the balls to make it like everyone else had to.

As a United fan, I'm glad the club's decided to do it, and I don't mind that a slice of my season ticket, Sky sub, BT sub, cost of matchday pie, sliver of sponsorship money from a glass of red wine will go into it. That said, I also believe that the women's game will start to attract sponsors and that United's marketing team will be leading the way with that as well.
As a United fan I find it irritating that people have been saying Man Utd have 'finally dragged themselves into the 21st century' and it was 'bizarre' that 'Man Utd weren't being progressive in forming a team.' It seems to have been done for political reasons and not because anyone gave a shit or because the club thought it would benefit them. That's my issue: the club isn't there to bend over backwards to help women's football, it's there for itself.

I'm out of bullets so unless you want to give me more likes this conversation is adjourned.

Loublaze

ATLien
Actually, Morgan plays for Orlando Pride the female club affiliated with Orlando City of the MLS. She did spend a few months with Olympique Lyonnais and then returned to Orlando Pride.
Thanks for the correction, I just realised that her time or stint there was just a high profile loan like Charli Lloyd at City recently.

Do people actually care about this?
The club has been constantly asked over the years why they don't have a women's team so the answer would be yes.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Even if you don't care about Women's football I don't see why you would be annoyed by this, don't see how this affects any fan in a negative way

wolvored

Won't use OT, WPSL games played in smaller stadiums as the crowds aren't big enough to justify using bigger stadiums. Not sure exactly where they will play.

They'll be second tier though.

Interesting they haven't applied for the top tier. Changes being brought in so that the entire top tier will be Full time professionals. Seems a bit half assed to not apply for that and indicates they'll be a part time side to start with (could be wrong but can't see any other reason to not go for the WPSL)

Edit : They are gonna be full time.
Emptyhad just up the road