United linked with van Gaal in the meeja

Status
Not open for further replies.

NK86

van gaal would be a dreadful choice.
How much worse can it get? Moyes blaming everyone from players to SAF for the shambles we are in. Him being nice to the media is the only thing he has over Van Gaal and I could not care less about how Van Gaal treats those journalists.

Plugsy

van Gaal would be an ideal choice. He's 63 this year so probably won't wish to commit beyond the next 2-3 years at any job and what better place to have your career swansong than Manchester United? He'd be able to come in and help the club find a steady footing again, ready for whoever the next long-term managerial target may be.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
My mate supports Spurs and he has been saying for weeks that there's a deal in place to take him there in the summer. This is just the usual bollocks from the press.
How does he know? Because he supports them?

NK86

My mate supports Spurs and he has been saying for weeks that there's a deal in place to take him there in the summer. This is just the usual bollocks from the press.
I am not saying that it is not true. But so many stories have come out saying he has not yet decided that there could be truth to it. Also it's Spurs. Don't think they care about hiding such things. Everyone knows Sherwood is a dead man walking. Nothing to hide from their perspective.

Red Diva

a) I dont believe anyone could have imagined him failing to get us into the top 4
My daughter's boyfriend put £100 on Utd to fail to get into the top 4, when Moyes appointment was announced:(

Red Harry

You are getting me wrong. I am not saying they will definitely exercise that option. But I will be amazed if there was not one which they could use if they wanted to. These are billionaire businessmen who know how to build an empire. They will have an army of lawyers protecting them from exactly such scenarios.
They will have an exit clause. Unlikely to be tied directly to performance. They will have a "with cause" clause, in case he does something daft, and they will have a clause that guarantees him some sort of pay out if he's fired "without cause".

You can read hundreds of stories about clubs still paying their old managers that they fired years after they've gone. If you want someone its a negotiation, both sides have lawyers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ea-paying-Roberto-Di-Matteo-130-000-week.html

SER19

because he isnt a top level manager. hes obviously very good but theres no point sacking moyes unless its for somebody from he very top tier. if we do this then we'll be changing again in a couple of years. moyes should get another season and if it works out then it will have been the best decision the club has made in a long time.

wait and see,if we get van gaal now then in 2-3 years we'll be on somebody new, then 2 years later somebody new again. and so on. we'll end up like tottenham or chelsea.

NK86

They will have an exit clause. Unlikely to be tied directly to performance. They will have a "with cause" clause, in case he does something daft, and they will have a clause that guarantees him some sort of pay out if he's fired "without cause".

You can read hundreds of stories about clubs still paying their old managers that they fired years after they've gone. If you want someone its a negotiation, both sides have lawyers.
You think a clause with certain stipulation about our performances won't be there? It's a football club, not a general purpose job. It will most probably be related to us being there in the CL. If not, then something related to trophies. Both sides have lawyers but we all know who holds the better bargaining position in this particular transaction.

Also, if there are such clauses, it will be with a certain amount of money which they will have to pay out in case they sack him due to those stipulations. I am surprised you feel that these won't be there.

Moby

Dick
because he isnt a top level manager. hes obviously very good but theres no point sacking moyes unless its for somebody from he very top tier. if we do this then we'll be changing again in a couple of years. moyes should get another season and if it works out then it will have been the best decision the club has made in a long time.

wait and see,if we get van gaal now then in 2-3 years we'll be on somebody new, then 2 years later somebody new again. and so on. we'll end up like tottenham or chelsea.
Who are the realistic top level options on your opinion?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I think United needs shaking up. The club's emphasis on 'continuity' (instead of 'progress') leads me to think that we'll probably be ok-ish for League challenges & domestic stuff, in future, but we'll be very unlikely to add to our CL-title count. 'Business as usual' - with the emphasis on 'business' - means we'll never live up to the billing of The World's Biggest/Greatest Club except in terms of revenue, perhaps. Someone like Van Gaal, someone who tells it like it is & will not shirk the toughest decisions, is needed.

Varun

Staff

I see absolutely nothing wrong if we get him for 2-3 years and then move to a new manager. If you ask me, that'd actually be pretty much an ideal scenario as top managers like Pep, Mourinho and Klopp are likely to be available then.

NK86

That is insane. This is perhaps the same thought process which people are accusing SAF of regarding him not strengthening our midfield for years. To the point where we have had to overpay for an average PL midfielder.

Van Gaal will be a massive improvement on Moyes whichever way you look at it. And what's to say who will be available next year if we fail miserably again. Will you tout the same line once more?

NK86

I think United needs shaking up. The club's emphasis on 'continuity' (instead of 'progress') leads me to think that we'll probably be ok-ish for League challenges & domestic stuff, in future, but we'll be very unlikely to add to our CL-title count. 'Business as usual' - with the emphasis on 'business' - means we'll never live up to the billing of The World's Biggest/Greatest Club except in terms of revenue, perhaps. Someone like Van Gaal, someone who tells it like it is & will not shirk the toughest decisions, is needed.
I doubt we will remain the world's biggest club if the club is not as successful, Steve. People call fans abroad glory hunters. And although I don't agree with that sentiment, you can never discount a substantial fan-base eroding if continuous failure (in terms of not winning titles) is tolerated. That will most definitely effect our revenues.

Moby

Dick
Van Gaal will be perfect for us, because he's someone who lays the foundation for the future. He will do a lot of work with the academy and sort out the identity/philosophy issues we have and lay down the tactical setup. For a period of 3-4 years he's an ideal option.

SER19

Who are the realistic top level options on your opinion?
there are pretty much none right now we missed the boat with mourinho and guardiola. unless we could convince klopp with a huge transfer budget. van gaal is good but somebody i never rated as highly as others do. i personally dont want to see us go down this road so soon, thats it.

Red Harry

You think a clause with certain stipulation about our performances won't be there? It's a football club, not a general purpose job. It will most probably be related to us being there in the CL. If not, then something related to trophies. Both sides have lawyers but we all know who holds the better bargaining position in this particular transaction.

Also, if there are such clauses, it will be with a certain amount of money which they will have to pay out in case they sack him due to those stipulations. I am surprised you feel that these won't be there.
You should read my post then to take away your "surprise". There will be clauses dealing with termination - top four guarantees, CL guarantees? No.
Maybe you didn't read the link I put in my last post.
Here's another one.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ez-sacking-Liverpool-boss-agrees-pay-off.html

Big managers get fired all the time for poor performances. Benitez didn't make the CL the summer he was canned, they still had to cough up 4 million. Then he was in about 6th spot when Inter canned him, with a CL winning team, it cost them an arm and a leg.

If United fire Moyes, it won't be cheap because a "lawyer put a clause in" - it'll be expensive, maybe not six years expensive.

SteveJ

Scout
I doubt we will remain the world's biggest club if the club is not as successful, Steve. People call fans abroad glory hunters. And although I don't agree with that sentiment, you can never discount s substantial fan-base eroding if continuous failure (in terms of not winning titles) is tolerated. That will most definitely effect our revenues.
I just worry that the club is in the mindset which followed SAF's first 'retirement' in the early 2000's, mate. They had Sven lined-up to take over: like Moyes, more a diplomat or ambassador type than a pro-active manager. We'll stagnate if this approach continues; we're already, commercially, relying on nostalgia for the club's history rather than our present-day endeavours.

Moby

Dick
there are pretty much none right now we missed the boat with mourinho and guardiola. unless we could convince klopp with a huge transfer budget. van gaal is good but somebody i never rated as highly as others do. i personally dont want to see us go down this road so soon, thats it.
That's that then. Van Gaal is probably the best option at the moment. And for a club looking to rebuild and do something that would stand for years, he's a better option than someone like Mourinho. Bayern fans are still thankful to him for all the success they are having at the moment.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Quick from the MEN to rebuff this. Obviously you can't say who is or isn't telling the truth because both 'understand' rather than have actual facts.

As much as I'd like it to happen because only a fool would rank van Gaal below Moyes, I don't believe we'll sack Moyes this summer. There is now a unified belief from every angle that what Sir Alex left behind wasn't good enough and he's getting away with it. For me he performed as well as possible in Europe but severely underachieved in both league and cups domestically. Not getting top 4 (or CL) is a sackable offence at any other top club in the Europe.

I can't comment on van Gaal's track record at clubs year by year but he comes across as a guy capable of making players who aren't necessarily the best quite useful. Van Bommel, van Buyten, Olic and Demichellis all managed over 30 games in a season which was very nearly a treble.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It is actually Man Utd than have been in the vacuum for the pas 26 or so years. A manager lasting 2-3 years at a top level club is far more the usual than someone like Wenger or Ferguson. The chances of you finding another Ferguson are nil. You've joined the manager merry go round just like the rest of us. Enjoy.

NK86

You should read my post then to take away your "surprise". There will be clauses dealing with termination - top four guarantees, CL guarantees? No.
Maybe you didn't read the link I put in my last post.
Here's another one.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ez-sacking-Liverpool-boss-agrees-pay-off.html

Big managers get fired all the time for poor performances. Benitez didn't make the CL the summer he was canned, they still had to cough up 4 million. Then he was in about 6th spot when Inter canned him, with a CL winning team, it cost them an arm and a leg.

If United fire Moyes, it won't be cheap because a "lawyer put a clause in" - it'll be expensive, maybe not six years expensive.
I still feel there will be clauses regarding CL qualification, seeing that we have handed him a 6 year contract. Moreover, Benitez was a proven manager. His contract could well have been laid out differently with a large sum being mentioned as the parting one.

Again, I have already stated that it will be for a stipulated sum. Now both of us can argue all we want about how much the figure would be but I am sure we both agree it will be less than having to payout the remainder of his contract.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
It is actually Man Utd than have been in the vacuum for the pas 26 or so years. A manager lasting 2-3 years at a top level club is far more the usual than someone like Wenger or Ferguson. The chances of you finding another Ferguson are nil. You've joined the manager merry go round just like the rest of us. Enjoy.
Welcome back Glaston

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Welcome back Glaston
I am not Glaston and am not coming back as I have been posting regularly when I had the time over the past few weeks/ months.

Could you tell me how long the managers have been there at Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Bayern, Dortmund, PSG, Real, Barcelona, Inter, Juventus and Ac Milan?

NK86

I just worry that the club is in the mindset which followed SAF's first 'retirement' in the early 2000's, mate. They had Sven lined-up to take over: like Moyes, more a diplomat or ambassador type than a pro-active manager. We'll stagnate if this approach continues; we're already, commercially, relying on nostalgia for the club's history rather than our present-day endeavours.
Back then we were a PLC. Now a completely owned business. Even then the stock prices would have been driven down and majority stake holder could well have stepped in if their investment suffered. With the Glazers in charge and them being dependent on our revenues to help them buy us out, I seriously doubt they will jeopardize that. I can see them stepping in. May not be this year, but another year of this and Moyes will definitely be sent packing.

Varun

Staff
A managerial merry go round is exaggerating it but the essence of what you're saying is true. We'l see managerial changes like other clubs do. Its normal.

LARulz

I don't see whats wrong with talking to another manager while we still have one. Allows the new guy to make judgements earlier to hit the ground running, which is what Moyes should have done.

Having said that, this is most likely bullshit and Moyes is here for the long run. I don't get the Van Gaal love too much, he's good and all but would much rather a Klopp or someone now.

NK86

I am not Glaston and am not coming back as I have been posting regularly when I had the time over the past few weeks/ months.

Could you tell me how long the managers have been there at Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Bayern, Dortmund, PSG, Real, Barcelona, Inter, Juventus and Ac Milan?
I do agree with what you are saying. This feeling about us wanting another manager for 20 years is what drove us in this rut in the first place. We don't have to even look at other clubs for this as we are not new to it. There have been a host of managers between Busby and Fergie. So it's not like we give every manager a decade or more.

SteveJ

Scout
Back then we were a PLC. Now a completely owned business. Even then the stock prices would have been driven down and majority stake holder could well have stepped in if their investment suffered. With the Glazers in charge and them being dependent on our revenues to help them buy us out, I seriously doubt they will jeopardize that. I can see them stepping in. May not be this year, but another year of this and Moyes will definitely be sent packing.
Yeah, I agree. I think there'll be definite limits as to how much patience & time DM is afforded. Unfortunate for him - as I believe he's a decent & hard-working man/manager - but 'continuity' only benefits us to an extent.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I don't think it is ridiculous that your board would be talking to another manager if they're thinking of moving Moyes on. Unless there has been a very sudden and complete breakdown in the working relationship between him and the higher ups, they will want to make sure that they are fully comfortable with the next person coming in/ that he is willing to come and that he hasn't already signed with someone else. It is just common sense really surely?

RORY65

I do agree with what you are saying. This feeling about us wanting another manager for 20 years is what drove us in this rut in the first place. We don't have to even look at other clubs for this as we are not new to it. There have been a host of managers between Busby and Fergie. So it's not like we give every manager a decade or more.
It seems the club thought firstly about who would stay a long time and then just presumed that success would follow. The reason Busby and Ferguson stayed a long time is because they were great managers and United is a great club (admittedly it took Ferguson a few years at United but he had a record of success to back him up). The approach of the club should've been to get a manager who would be the most likely to guarantee success and who would have the reputation to take on the challenge of replacing Ferguson. I'd imagine most top managers would want to stay at United for quite a while if they were successful while there'd be no need to get rid of a manager doing a good job.

Kag

No, we'll just be a football club like any other, which is exactly what we are. No better, no worse. Sacking Moyes is best for the club and Van Gaal is probably the best, most attainable target.

We had our chance to get somebody from the very top tier last season and our arrogance and self-hype thought better of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.