United linked with van Gaal in the meeja

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Its unusual for United to deny stories like this? Normally there is no comment on such speculation?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
There's been a lot of chatter about Van Gaal from various angles recently. Perhaps it's just because the press see him as the most attainable target and therefore the easiest to make up stories about rather than it actually being the case. Regardless, I think we're changing managers at the end of the season.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Yeah, I agree. I think there'll be definite limits as to how much patience & time DM is afforded. Unfortunate for him - as I believe he's a decent & hard-working man/manager - but 'continuity' only benefits us to an extent.
I think we need Klopp to take us to the level you are talking about. A modern, progressive manager with modern ideas on football. Klopp is the man for us, he is one who has proved he doesn't just move around Europe chasing the cash either. He builds his clubs into his image. He stands for everything we want in a manager and a club. There was nothing more condescending and sickening to the standard fan than Neville saying "David Moyes won't change United, United will change him". Cringeworthy.

But if he is not available for 2 years or so, then Van Gaal would be good to take the reigns until then.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I think we need Klopp to take us to the level you are talking about. A modern, progressive manager with modern ideas on football. Klopp is the man for us, he is one who has proved he doesn't just move around Europe chasing the cash either. He builds his clubs into his image. He stands for everything we want in a manager and a club. There was nothing more condescending and sickening to the standard fan than Neville saying "David Moyes won't change United, United will change him". Cringeworthy.

But if he is not available for 2 years or so, then Van Gaal would be good to take the reigns until then.
He also said it was a victory for sanity in football or something along those lines. Nev's played a shocker there.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
He also said it was a victory for sanity in football or something along those lines. Nev's played a shocker there.
It was just typical of everything that was wrong in the appointment. There's only one SAF, there'll never be another. We were silly to think the way we did. We needed a complete change, a new direction, and that involved a charismatic manager with the CV success to match with a history of moulding teams into his image.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Can't believe some are saying sounding out other managers is disrespectful. Moyes can disrespect our club, our serial tophy winning players and our legendary manager by constantly moaning about the supposed lack of quality, but we shouldn't even consider if he is the right man? This whole respectful bulls*** has already cost us a whole season and a hell of money by appointing Moyes, now he is destroying us and we should still sit there and do nothing? We are a football club and a business, not a charity ffs! And Moyes is earning more than most of our players! Nothing disrespectful about sounding out candidates, happens all the time and we should have done it ages ago.

And what if van Gaal would be a short term fix? He would probably be here for a short time but would fix our long term future on and off the pitch. He has worked for Ajax, Barca and Bayern. He knows all about the modern game and board / internal structures, which we need to implement sooner rather than later! And what better way for him than to leave us AFTER teaching our players some tactical awareness, teaching them how to actually pass and move, and improving them individually? Pls pls let this be true!!

MoskvaRed

because he isnt a top level manager. hes obviously very good but theres no point sacking moyes unless its for somebody from he very top tier. if we do this then we'll be changing again in a couple of years. moyes should get another season and if it works out then it will have been the best decision the club has made in a long time.

wait and see,if we get van gaal now then in 2-3 years we'll be on somebody new, then 2 years later somebody new again. and so on. we'll end up like tottenham or chelsea.
Better someone "very good" than someone clearly out of his depth. Van Gaal ticks most of the boxes - has managed big clubs, CL experience, track record for putting in place solid foundations and a very forceful personality who won't be intimidated by United. He would not be a long-term option and it would be a rough ride at times given his confrontational attitude but I think this is exactly the kind of short, sharp shock United need in terms of modernising the playing style and introducing a dose of reality to supporters' expectations (by which I mean we won't find another Fergie and we need to get used to more frequent managerial turnover).

itso 7

because he isnt a top level manager. hes obviously very good but theres no point sacking moyes unless its for somebody from he very top tier. if we do this then we'll be changing again in a couple of years. moyes should get another season and if it works out then it will have been the best decision the club has made in a long time.

wait and see,if we get van gaal now then in 2-3 years we'll be on somebody new, then 2 years later somebody new again. and so on. we'll end up like tottenham or chelsea.
The idea behind Van Gaal is that he will be able to stabilze the club in the top four for two to three seasons whilst we seek/wait for a long term option like Klopp/Simeone/Pochettino etc . Keeping Moyes is a riskier option than this because he has not shown anything this season or throughout his career that suggests he is equipped to operate successfully at this level or more accurately the level we want to operate at . He has gotten his chance and failed now we move on simple as.

This idea of hiring a manager for the long term is impractical and stupidly misguided because what comes first between a long tenure and performance ? You can not give someone a long term stay in the hope that be will perform, you give them a long term stay because they have performed . There is a reason why people don't get married on the first date ......

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I would say so, managing United has to be a younger mans job.
We've seen what wanting 'long term security' does. Seeing as everyone has this major hard-on for Klopp and Simeone who appear unattainable at the current moment in time, surely a short-term fix in van Gaal who would get the team fully motivated and put trust into players, whilst applying a clear philosophy and bleeding out the youth for the next manager to come in and take the reigns from him would be the best option? By the time he's done [if he joins] the likes of Simeone and Klopp could be attainable, and we should be in a far more attractive position for them.
Edit: itso7 above has basically covered the same thing.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Why are people finding it so difficult believing the Glazer's could have approached van Gaal? The Glazer's hardly embody Manchester United, do they? They won't act as noble as you'd expect, I'd be majorly surprised if they hadn't explored other options at this stage as Moyes has proven to be a disaster.

stevoc

This story could be bullshit or have a grain of truth who knows.

But i can't believe some are in here actually spouting guff that United wouldn't approach another manager whilst Moyes in still in charge.

Do people actually believe shit like that?

Yes because our club has way more morals than every other club, yeah right.

Moyes was on tv the other night admitting in an interview that we have been tapping players up the idiot. And we've been at that for years. Do you think we waited until Big Ron cleared out his desk before before approaching Ferguson, did we feck.

And lets not forget the biggest recent example where a manager contracted to Everton football club was called over to Fergies house to be told hes the next United manager, do you think we asked Bill Kenright for permission to speak to Moyes? Again did we feck.

United wouldn't speak to another manager while moyes is still in charge, jesus wept the shit you hear on here.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Why are people finding it so difficult believing the Glazer's could have approached van Gaal? The Glazer's hardly embody Manchester United, do they? They won't act as noble as you'd expect, I'd be majorly surprised if they hadn't explored other options at this stage as Moyes has proven to be a disaster.
The way we approached and then appointed Moyes was incredibly underhand, so this is nothing compared. Fergie calling him throughout the year to tell him not to renew his contract with Everton? Very dubious behaviour and disrespectful to Everton.

Kag

But i can't believe some are in here actually spouting guff that United wouldn't approach another manager whilst Moyes in still in charge.

Moyes was on tv the other night admitting in an interview that we have been tapping players up the idiot. And we've been at that for years. Do you think we waited until Big Ron cleared out his desk before before approaching Ferguson, did we feck.

And lets not forget the biggest recent example where a manager contracted to Everton football club was called over to Fergies house to be told hes the next United manager, do you think we asked Bill Kenright for permission to speak to Moyes? Again did we feck.

United wouldn't speak to anther manager while moyes is still in charge, jesus wept the shit you hear on here.
So true.

prateik

Its unusual for United to deny stories like this? Normally there is no comment on such speculation?
Not really.
If the club doesnt deny it, the story gains credibility/momentum.

The club are backing Moyes. Its clear.

itso 7

Better someone "very good" than someone clearly out of his depth. Van Gaal ticks most of the boxes - has managed big clubs, CL experience, track record for putting in place solid foundations and a very forceful personality who won't be intimidated by United. He would not be a long-term option and it would be a rough ride at times given his confrontational attitude but I think this is exactly the kind of short, sharp shock United need in terms of modernising the playing style and introducing a dose of reality to supporters' expectations (by which I mean we won't find another Fergie and we need to get used to more frequent managerial turnover).
This times a thousand . Right now Barcelona, Bayern and Real Madrid are ages ahead of us surely this wouldn't be so sticking with a failed manager was the only way to success ? Yes having a long term manager worked wonders for us but you'd be severely underrating Ferguson,the man, if you think that all it takes to achieve what Fergie did is just staying in the job long enough . Moyes would struggle to match just what Fergie achieved in Scotland alone and on this basis and the descent he has managed ought to make it clear that keeping him is around is a very big risk and the rewards may never match what we would have invested in his stay .

KiD MoYeS

The denial changes nothing, for me. There is obviously still as much possibility that one of the Glazer's met van Gaal. It isn't something the club would openly admit, for one, and there is also the likelihood the approach occurred without the board's knowledge.

I want to believe, goddammit.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Van Gaal would be better than Moyes certainly. If he had been appointed as SAF's replacement I would have been distinctly underwhelmed and doubtful though. Far from convinced he'd be the right man for this job so, while I do hope Moyes goes, I also hope this story isn't true at all.

United22

I would be all for Van Gaal, even if it was for the short term. We need to start seeing a proper system of attacking football, not this ridiculous defensive hoofball crap that doesn't suits our world class attacking talent let alone our club. We have slowly stagnated on the pitch under Moyes until the pure basics of football like passing and moving effectively with the ball can't be seen in our play against decent opposition. Its almost as if some of our players have become scared of the football itself (midfield and defence are the culprits here). Van Gaal would really be one of the best available managers to bring in to fix this. I always thought that one good thing about Sir Alex's retirement would be that we could get a manager that with a good system of football, instead we got Moyes and it went down the pan.

NK86

The denial changes nothing, for me. There is obviously still as much possibility that one of the Glazer's met van Gaal. It isn't something the club would openly admit, for one, and there is also the likelihood the approach occurred without the board's knowledge.

I want to believe, goddammit.
You mean everyone on the board not being in the know? That could be the case but I am sure at least one influential board member would have given the green light for his approach, if it happened.

KiD MoYeS

You mean everyone on the board not being in the know? That could be the case but I am sure at least one influential board member would have given the green light for his approach, if it happened.
More than likely, we've no idea how the Glazer's intend to run the club during a crisis period though, so who knows?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

United wouldn't speak to another manager while moyes is still in charge, jesus wept the shit you hear on here.
Good post.

NK86

Van Gaal's agent is stirring the pot, I suspect.
But it is well known that Spur have approached him and he has openly admitted that he wants to manage in the PL. Apart from Spurs and maybe United, there are no top clubs in the PL who would be looking to hire this coming season. So what will Van Gaal's agent get out of this? More money for his client from Spurs? I thought maybe that would have already been discussed if the approach made by Spurs was official.

NK86

Excellent post. About the bolded part, when did that happen and what did he say now?

itso 7

And who could be more influential than Joel Glazer ?

Brophs

The One and Only
But it is well known that Spur have approached him and he has openly admitted that he wants to manage in the PL. Apart from Spurs and maybe United, there are no top clubs in the PL who would be looking to hire this coming season. So what will Van Gaal's agent get out of this? More money for his client from Spurs? I thought maybe that would have already been discussed if the approach made by Spurs was official.
The most obvious answer: he'd prefer the United job and is trying to plant the seed and draw us out. Plus he can use it to engineer a better deal from Spurs.

Name Changed

weso26
I don't believe any such rumours. But if it did happen and Moyes got the bullet with Van Gaal coming in, it would disappoint me. If Moyes did get sacked, I would much prefer us going all out for the likes of Kloop or Simeone.

Moriarty

Van Gaal would be better than Moyes certainly. If he had been appointed as SAF's replacement I would have been distinctly underwhelmed and doubtful though. Far from convinced he'd be the right man for this job so, while I do hope Moyes goes, I also hope this story isn't true at all.
Van Gaal's cv is pretty impressive. He's won league titles in Holland, Spain, and Germany as well as a European Cup and a UEFA Cup. Not too shabby at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.