United linked with van Gaal in the meeja

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 78215

They don't generally care for foreign managers. Especially foreign managers who have taken the job of a Brit.

Ever heard of a British manager being called "borderline Aspergers" by a journalist?
Aye, they're vultures. But that shouldn't deter from a foreign manager, especially if he is considerably better than our current 'domestic' manager.

Varun

Staff
Van Gaal is controversial, the press will like him. Even if they didnt, we shouldnt give a feck.

redevil2

Van Gaal is controversial, the press will like him. Even if they didnt, we shouldnt give a feck.
Controversial is a lot better than the "hopefully we will try to rebuild the team in a year's time" kind of crap mentality

rotherham_red

I'm not saying I wouldn't want Van Gaal in charge, but I just don't see it. Especially the bit of how it's a bit unprofessional and harsh on Moyes. He may not have led to us to a great season but he still deserves respect.
He deserves nothing. Ruining a title-winning squad, marginalising players who were a bedrock of our success, and then blaming the players for his incompetence and equating himself with Fergie by saying he would struggle... Not to forget tying us to the albatross that is Wayne Rooney for 300k a week. He deserves nothing but our contempt.

Havak

Pokemon master
From the other thread:

If things have been done in the 'usual way' (if that's even what we can call it) then it would maybe cost £20million or more to sack David Moyes? If this is the case, then if van Gaal is bit of a low budget guy who wouldn't want to make a magnitude of changes, then this would suit the Glazers. That apparent £200million transfer kitty could be cut by that £20million~ and van Gaal could probably make better user of that £180million over a couple of seasons than Moyes could with £200million in one. Just my opinion there, though.

However, due to Moyes' history of doing nothing (other than making the Champions League once and losing out in the qualifying round), I have to believe that this six year mega deal has many stipulations where Moyes was well aware he could lose the job without being compensated the full amount of money that his contract would give him. It would be such a bad business decision to risk that much money on an unproven manager at the top level.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
The press will slaughter him. See AVB/Tim Sherwood.
Van Gaal will not give one solitary shit what people think of him. His career tells us that. He's one fierce fecker. Getting him in for a year or 2 would be great, and set it up for Klopp to take it over. Klopp is a manager you give a 6 year deal to. He's the one we need long term.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Please be true.

Actually I don't know much about Van Haal, but any hint of Moyes leaving is a good thing.

Varun

Staff
Controversial is a lot better than the "hopefully we will try to rebuild the team in a year's time" kind of crap mentality
You wont get an argument from me there. I like players and managers who are honest and speak their minds, diplomatic "correct thing to say" nonsense bores me.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The press will slaughter him. See AVB/Tim Sherwood.
Not necessarily. If he gives them lots to write about they could well love him.

Either way, it's not all that important IMO. If he does good work it won't matter.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How do his teams tend to play?
He loves the 433, and he loves interchanging, fluid, everyone being able to perform various roles within their type of play. Very offensive. 'Total voetbal'-esque.

Red Harry

The Glazers aren't daft. Their would've been clauses put in his contract like they were put in Mancini's contract. I said in the Bayern Munich match thread that if we lose to Bayern then Moyes is gone, and I do think that's happening.

The fact that a dutch newspaper actually have it on the front page makes me think they have must a solid lead on this news report.
So you think that there is a clause in Moyes contract that states he must win the CL or be fired? (I'll be fairer to you and say "make the CL Semi-final" - since beating Bayern would have achieved that.)

Nonsense.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
So you think that there is a clause in Moyes contract that states he must win the CL or be fired? (I'll be fairer to you and say "make the CL Semi-final" - since beating Bayern would have achieved that.)

Nonsense.
:lol:

Plugsy

Nonsense.
No, but a clause in his contract that says there's a minimum level of success expected. Not necessarily he needed to win the CL but once it became clear he was going to finish nowhere near the top 4 the only thing form that point that could have 'saved' his job was success in Europe. That isn't "there's a clause in the contract that says he must win the CL" at all.

NK86

Nonsense.
Come on. You know what he meant. Basically that if we don't finish top 4, the clauses would kick in if they are there.

Varun

Staff

Nonsense.
What he means is there could be a clause which says we can fire him on the cheap if he doesnt get us CL football. Seeing as winning the thing was our only way of doing it, the loss to Bayern could have activated the clause.

2 things though:

a) I dont believe anyone could have imagined him failing to get us into the top 4 which makes me doubt such a clause exists. It'd take a man who takes great precaution to put such a clause in.
b) Even if it doesnt, firing him wouldnt cost us more than 20mil odd which basically means money wont stop us from sacking him if we wanted to specially considering the cost involved in sticking by a poor manager.

Varun

Staff
No, but a clause in his contract that says there's a minimum level of success expected. Not necessarily he needed to win the CL but once it became clear he was going to finish nowhere near the top 4 the only thing form that point that could have 'saved' his job was success in Europe. That isn't "there's a clause in the contract that says he must win the CL" at all.
Or qualify for the CL?...
Come on. You know what he meant. Basically that if we don't finish top 4, the clauses would kick in if they are there.
What he means is there could be a clause which says we can fire him on the cheap if he doesnt get us CL football. Seeing as winning the thing was our only way of doing it, the loss to Bayern could have activated the clause.

2 things though:

a) I dont believe anyone could have imagined him failing to get us into the top 4 which makes me doubt such a clause exists. It'd take a man who takes great precaution to put such a clause in.
b) Even if it doesnt, firing him wouldnt cost us more than 20mil odd which basically means money wont stop us from sacking him if we wanted to specially considering the cost involved in sticking by a poor manager.
Ah feck. All that effort into something that obvious? Shouldnt have bothered :D

Plugsy

The thing is Moyes hasn't just under achieved, he's fantastically under achieved. This is Rafa Benitez level of capitulation. Worse, in fact. Far worse. I'd fully support replacing him. Whether that be with van Gaal or someone else. Obviously the candidate has to be right, I'm not an ABM, but finding a better candidate can't be the most arduous of tasks.

NK86

2 things though:

a. I think you are underestimating how contracts are made out. You cannot believe the kind of crap employers put in there for the employee to sign. Especially a highly paid employee who is about to take up a very important position.

b. If that guy walks away with 20 million for being crap, it will be one of the biggest travesties in football.

Varun

Staff
a. I think you are underestimating how contracts are made out. You cannot believe the kind of crap employers put in there for the employee to sign. Especially a highly paid employee who is about to take up a very important position.

b. If that guy walks away with 20 million for being crap, it will be one of the biggest travesties in football.
I want to believe such a clause exists because as you said, it'd be a travesty if he got 20mil for being shit. But even if he does, we shot ourselves on the foot by giving him a 6yr deal, it was one of the daftest things we could do as there was very little of chance of the Barca's and Real's of this world coming chasing over David bloody Moyes. Even if we do have to pay him 20mil though, I dont think it'd stop us from getting rid if we decide to.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

2 things though:

Nope you're wrong here. Contracts are made keeping in mind the worst of situations possible. United are a global organization, not a chance they wouldn't have put in any sort of these clauses in Moyes's contracts. Not putting in the clauses would be highly negligent.

Red Harry

So will all you dreamers come in here and apologise for writing this crap when Moyes is still in charge in August then?

NK86

I want to believe such a clause exists because as you said, it'd be a travesty if he got 20mil for being shit. But even if he does, we shot ourselves on the foot by giving him a 6yr deal, it was one of the daftest things we could do as there was very little of chance of the Barca's and Real's of this world coming chasing over David bloody Moyes. Even if we do have to pay him 20mil though, I dont think it'd stop us from getting rid if we decide to.
I agree. But I am almost 100% sure that there will be clauses which will allow the Glazers to sack him with minimum damage.

NK86

Nope you're wrong here. Contracts are made keeping in mind the worst of situations possible. United are a global organization, not a chance they wouldn't have put in any sort of these clauses in Moyes's contracts. Not putting in the clauses would be highly negligent.
Beat you to that explanation KM! :D

NK86

So will all you dreamers come in here and apologise for writing this crap when Moyes is still in charge in August then?
You are getting me wrong. I am not saying they will definitely exercise that option. But I will be amazed if there was not one which they could use if they wanted to. These are billionaire businessmen who know how to build an empire. They will have an army of lawyers protecting them from exactly such scenarios.

Varun

Staff
So you're telling me there is hope :p:

Seriously though, as I said, I hope am wrong and such a clause exists.

Apologize for what? If you're going to stand up for Moyes, atleast ask whether we dreamers will come in and apologize when Moyes wins us the league this year. Still hanging on to the job after being a disaster for a year deserves an apology now?

Status
Not open for further replies.