United linked with van Gaal in the meeja

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Moyes brought a total of 10 staff with him
If that's true then LVG should be allowed to bring anyone he wants. I understand that Giggs will be involved (a good idea IMO), but van Gaal should decide about the others by himself. I don't see a reason why Warren Joyce would be replaced.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I know this'll probably cause a bit of outrage, but if I was the new manager I'd want Giggs nowhere near my coaching set up. Seems like he's already got a lot of power, and if things don't start of well and Giggs/players aren't happy about it seems like he can cause quite a bit of a problem for the manager. Especially as he's pals with half the squad.
Unfortunately I tend to agree with this, unless Pep or Mourinho are coming then Giggs is going to be bigger than any manager we are going to appoint, and I don't think that's particularly healthy.

Bojan11

To hopefully avoid the Ferguson succession failure of not promoting from within, hiring a useless oaf of a manager and seeing the club go through a terrible 10 months before a clause activates so we can sack him, rather than putting the guy out of his misery in February and still perhaps having a chance at the top 4 with a capable manager?

That's why I'd like him involved anyway, not saying it will work out that way, but if Van Gaal gives us 3-6 years, then Giggs will maybe be ready to take over from him after assisting and gaining experience rather than being thrown into the deep end, and we won't be giving the job to Tim Sherwood or Moyes Mk II.

That is obviously all hypothetical.
I'd rather Giggs went elsewhere and became manager. Go start in championship.

Nickosaur

I don't want him..

Klopp
Ancelotti
Giggs

In that order.
You would prefer Giggs as permanent manager over Van Gaal?

Giggs has only been a coach for this season ffs. Think he has the makings of a great manger, but not now. We need to go for proven class.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I fail to understand why people just want rid of them. They have a lot to offer in terms of experience and quality. They know what this club is about and what it stands for. Getting rid of Giggs and Butt when they were already here seems absurd to me. Scholes should be kept on, and Phil will probably leave at the end of the season due to there not being a role suitable for him.
Nobody want rid of them, however we don't want it to be a choice between a world class manager with experienced coaching staff or the old boys club. What worried me slightly was the just go out and enjoy yourself. Yes it was nice to watch, but it was Norwich. Do they have the experience to change their tactics to suit different games. They cannot have that attitude every game, otherwise we will be in trouble against teams with savy managers. Someone on MUTV has said give them a years contract as see how they get on. Bloody hell

SambaBoy

Having Giggs around could be hindrance for LVG. I know Van Gaal has a strong personality but it will be the other influences putting pressure on him by using Giggs.

It's difficult to say what should happen with the coaching system, it's pretty certain that Kluivert will become an assistant and bring in the video analyst. It would be nice to see Giggs, Scholes, Butt & Neville stay in and around the first team but depends what influence they have. Also Melusteen should be brought back to help with the tactical aspect of training.

Crono

To hopefully avoid the Ferguson succession failure of not promoting from within, hiring a useless oaf of a manager and seeing the club go through a terrible 10 months before a clause activates so we can sack him, rather than putting the guy out of his misery in February and still perhaps having a chance at the top 4 with a capable manager?

That's why I'd like him involved anyway, not saying it will work out that way, but if Van Gaal gives us 3-6 years, then Giggs will maybe be ready to take over from him after assisting and gaining experience rather than being thrown into the deep end, and we won't be giving the job to Tim Sherwood or Moyes Mk II.

That is obviously all hypothetical.
The failure of Ferguson's succession was in not hiring proven class; the ultimate failure being that the most outstanding candidate of all was available and willing and we went with said useless oaf... and now we're on the cusp of fu*king everything up again. Literally unbelievable.

Last edited:

Baxter

I think this will be done by the end of the week. There is no way that Utd or LVG will refuse to budge either way.

Skills

Snitch
Most of our squad is going to have a massive learning curve trying to adapt to Van Gaals football, most of them having played under Fergie all there career and David Moyes for a year. Football which is quite different from what Van Gaal wants his teams to play. It would help having a coaching staff who know Van Gaals vision of football, rather than a group trying to learn on the job.

LonelyFire

The video says the buzz around Giggs and class of 92 as managers is creating some problems, they mention a BBC poll saying that 72% or something wanted Giggs to be the next manager and the Glazzers wouldn't be entirely deaf towards this.

I agree with you, let Van Gaal bring in whoever he wants, try to get an agreement on Giggs being in his coaching staff but wanting the others to be involved is ridiculous, Scholes and Butt weren't involved with Moyes either, why does LVG need to take them on board ? Also P.Neville, been a disappointment under Moyes, why he is still here I don't know, why the club would want him to be involved if LVG doesn't want him, I don't know.

Would be typical Manchester United to let a deal like this derail for such a stupid reason as demanding the class of 92 to be involved, would be absolutley typical.
You think the buzz from one game would stop us appointing a manager? There may be debate on van gaal's back room staff, but it certainly won't be a deal breaker.

Club are quite right to want involvement from "their own". God, think of the criticism Moyes got for discarding the previous coaching set up. The club want to ensure they have presence in the new set up. There is nothing wrong with that. We should be preparing giggs for the next position and I fully expect it will happen.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Agree, I'd want rid of him too.
The clique needs to be broken up. Vidic is going anyway. If I were the new manager then Rio would be first out of the door. Evra would have to go too. With those three gone Giggs would have much reduced power among the playing staff. I think that Van Gaal is a strong enough character to put Giggs in his box.

Let's remember that Giggs was Moyes's shadow in the early days. I think that if we are playing good football then the players and Giggs will be happy anyway. Under Ferguson the players were happy because he gave them confidence to play attacking football. Moyes brought unenjoyable training and negativity to preparations, it was the opposite of what the players were used to and they didn't respond.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think this will be done by the end of the week. There is no way that Utd or LVG will refuse to budge either way.
I wonder whose idea this is. If it's Ferguson (possible) than he may have some serious trust problems. However, I don't see Glazers letting LVG go to Spurs, this is done deal IMO.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We really can't be this sentimental and short sighted. Seriously.
I'm sure they'll sort this - it's probably a small blip that'll be resolved but is being made to be a huge issue.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
The glazers are too ruthless to let it happen. They'll want proven consistency, and won't go all sentimental on it. They want to include the class of 92 to keep things smooth, but I imagine the 92 crew won't be that big an issue to the new manager.
Glazers wont have the faintest clue about van gaal, the class of 92, ancelotti, hell they probably had to have a good think as to who this , Brian Giggs bloke is.

It will all be down to woodward. Its him who will want proven success, also to show moyes wasnt his mistake

LR7

I'm with the club on this. I'm sure I read van Gaal wanted to bring a physio and fitness coach? I don't see the need. And I'd like the class of '92 to be involved in some capacity. Not running the show, but involved. Yes he must have some of his own men, but wholesale changes are unnecessary.

Plugsy

I'm with the club on this. I'm sure I read van Gaal wanted to bring a physio and fitness coach? I don't see the need. And I'd like the class of '92 to be involved in some capacity. Not running the show, but involved. Yes he must have some of his own men, but wholesale changes are unnecessary.
Wholesale changes from when, a week ago?

RedStarUnited

You're probably the only person in the world who has ever expressed the sentiment that the failure of Ferguson's succession was not hiring from within
I think Fergy himself stated that recently or something like that. Either way it sounds familar.

On topic - Romantisicm has cost us a season already, please Glazers, lets not do that again.

Crono

You don't see the need for it, based on no evidence.

What if he does, based on his observations and experience?

The lads have been there for ONE WEEK. "Wholesale changes" ffs.

RedBistro

The failure of Ferguson's succession was not in hiring proven class; the ultimate failure being that the most outstanding candidate of all was available and willing and we went with said useless oaf... and now we're on the cusp of fu*king everything up again. Literally unbelievable.
True, that definetely proved costly.

You're probably the only person in the world who has ever expressed the sentiment that the failure of Ferguson's succession was not hiring from within
:lol: I think I worded that first part a wrong but I can't really put it any better than that.

What I meant by it was, if Giggs is now manager in waiting so to speak, wasn't there a way he could have been added to the staff sooner? There probably wasn't because I'm sure I read somewhere that Ferguson did have Giggs in mind to take over, but his long career didn't help or something along them lines.

Sir A1ex

I think that if we are playing good football then the players and Giggs will be happy anyway.
This. Everybody is making out that Giggs is some sort of trouble-maker, waiting for any chance to undermine the manager. He actually stayed very loyal to Moyes until things became utterly untenable. There's no evidence that he was causing any kind of disruption - I'm sure he'd be delighted to work under and learn from somebody like LVG.

Kakeru

Just sign the guy already!!! I don't give a feck on what he asks as long as it involves adapting our footballing philosophy to the reality of modern football proper of this decade.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
This. Everybody is making out that Giggs is some sort of trouble-maker, waiting for any chance to undermine the manager. He actually stayed very loyal to Moyes until things became utterly untenable. There's no evidence that he was causing any kind of disruption - I'm sure he'd be delighted to work under and learn from somebody like LVG.
Agreed. Giggs has always been a good natured,patient man. Learning under LVG seems like something he'd enjoy doing.

Castia

I think the exact opposite, Butt, Giggs, Scholes and Neville have little to no experience (in coaching), sentimental stuff aside they aren't qualified for the job. You could probably keep 1-2 on and let them learn from somebody like LVG but 4 of them is asking for trouble imo. If he's got international quality coaches he wants to bring and we are haggling over keeping Nicky Butt on then I worry tbh.

DomesticTadpole

To be brutally honest, I wouldn't trust Ryan Giggs as far as I could throw him. I can just imagine him keeping Rio on, Rooney on. All his mates. Yes they might be his mates, including the coaching staff, but he could just as likely throw them under the bus.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
Relax, there's no rush. Wait till end of season when we may have one or two more candidates to look at.

Untied

The failure of Ferguson's succession was in not hiring proven class; the ultimate failure being that the most outstanding candidate of all was available and willing and we went with said useless oaf... and now we're on the cusp of fu*king everything up again. Literally unbelievable.
How are we on the cusp of f**king it up? By not appointing someone no one wanted 12 months ago?

Sir A1ex

You say that, but go back a few years and we always talked about how we should have somebody internal primed for a smooth transition. Not players generally, but it was certainly talked about with the likes of Queiroz, and going back to Mclaren and Kidd.
When the time finally came, we didn't have anybody in place at all. Looking back at the names above we probably dodged a bullet, tbf (if only to be hit by a different bullet).

DomesticTadpole

You say that, but go back a few years and we always talked about how we should have somebody internal primed for a smooth transition. Not players generally, but it was certainly talked about with the likes of Queiroz, and going back to Mclaren and Kidd.
When the time finally came, we didn't have anybody in place at all. Looking back at the names above we probably dodged a bullet, tbf (if only to be hit by a different bullet).
Well I wouldn't have been too happy to hand over the reins to people who have gone on to prove not very good manager. McClaren has had his moments but the other two are disasters as managers.

Crono

How are we on the cusp of f**king it up? By not appointing someone no one wanted 12 months ago?
By not getting the best man available and being lumbered with Giggs, for feck's sake.

Van Gaal would've been no-one's first choice 12 months ago, clearly (with the likes of Mourinho in the mix), but 100% of people would have taken him over Giggs.

DomesticTadpole

The transition towards being Liverpool continues at pace.
MUTV kept bringing Liverpool up, the boot room etc. However when they promoted from within, except for Dalglish, they all had years of coaching experience within the club. The scenario here is nothing like that. MUTV won't let facts get in the way of sentiment.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
This club can be far too sentimental for it own good sometimes.
Have I missed something? The only thing I've read is the club have held positive talks with Van Gaal and now want to interview other candidates, like Diego Simeone. Given how the last appointment turned out, an interview process seems like a good idea to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.