United linked with van Gaal in the meeja

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Getting rid of Giggs is a sure fire way to be unpopular from the off.

A smart manager will keep him on board. Moyes had this plan but didn't manage it.
That's true unless..............Ryan Giggs was the ring leader behind Moyes dismissal. No one loves a potential backstabber in his managerial team.

Varun

Staff
Rivaldo, Robben, Kroos, Alaba, Iniesta, Xavi just a taster of players he brought in or promoted from youth academy
Didnt he have a massive fallout with Rivaldo in his time there? Not sure how much of a hand he had in bringing him there as they had very different views on how to best utilize him. Robben, as the german posters have pointed out, was a signing he accepted rather than pursued. The rest all are academy players he brought through. My initial point was that he's transfer averse by the looks of it and what you've said does nothing to dispel that.

Mister Ed

You think the buzz from one game would stop us appointing a manager? There may be debate on van gaal's back room staff, but it certainly won't be a deal breaker.

Club are quite right to want involvement from "their own". God, think of the criticism Moyes got for discarding the previous coaching set up. The club want to ensure they have presence in the new set up. There is nothing wrong with that. We should be preparing giggs for the next position and I fully expect it will happen.
I said the video is saying this, I don't know if it is true or not. However I would find it disappointing if it were true, I have no problem the club wanting Giggs to be involved in the coaching, but if they insist on the other 3 and would not be able to make an agreement over this with LVG, that would be very unfortunate.

I don't know what this sudden urge is with preparing Giggs for the next position, really I don't. He has been a great player for the club, however I have no desire of seeing him as head coach of this club. It is ok as caretaker, for 4 games, that don't mean anything anymore, it is a totally different issue as soon as the season is over and we need to start preparing for a major turnaround next season. I can tolerate Giggs being somehwere in the next managers coaching staff, but I don't nescerally want him to be in it, surely I wouldn't want to risk losing out on a great manager like LVG because of it. If LVG will suffer Giggs, than fine, if he won't than he'll be a simple player again next season, or he can retire and look for another coaching experience next season. Even if after his 3 year contract LVG retires, I don't want Giggs to take over, I'll want us to go for Klopp, who'll be available by then or for another exeprienced manager, but not Giggs.

If Giggsy want to be a manager I think he has to do it the hard way and the right way. Learn the job under a good manager like LVG as an assistant coach, or somewhere else if LVG doesn't want him. Then become head coach at some smaller club, perhaps from a lower division, or from a team in the SPL or something (perhaps even overseas). Work his way up there and prove his worth as a manager and when he looks like an attractive manager with a couple of years (perhaps even a decade) of experience under his belt that realised some feats of strenght at other clubs than we can think of him as a candidate for head coach, when we have a vacancy.

But oh noes the Scottish chosen one has failed, so now we must prepare the Welsh godchild to takeover the job asap since no other british candidates are available anymore. How about we just employ somebody who is the right calibre for the job ? We can start becoming so desperate to put our hope in Moyesies and Giggsys after that first option has failed us. But right now I just want an experienced manager and no greenboy like Ryan Giggs, pretty sure I'll feel exactly the same within 3 years, even he has been succesfull assistant over those 3 years. He isn't ready for being the head coach, I don't need to see him ruin an entire season to know that. It is even more obvious than with Moyes, don't do it, never do it.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
That's true unless..............Ryan Giggs was the ring leader behind Moyes dismissal. No one loves a potential backstabber in his managerial team.
If rumours are correct then it's very likely he felt Moyes was making a mess of the job, and couldn't stay quiet?

Much like the fans.

Amir

I think the exact opposite, Butt, Giggs, Scholes and Neville have little to no experience (in coaching), sentimental stuff aside they aren't qualified for the job. You could probably keep 1-2 on and let them learn from somebody like LVG but 4 of them is asking for trouble imo. If he's got international quality coaches he wants to bring and we are haggling over keeping Nicky Butt on then I worry tbh.
Scholes wasn't a part of Moyes's team, Butt was doing some work in the reserves I think, so why would we expect Van Gaal to have all four as part of his senior team staff?

If United want to give them jobs, find something in the academy. The seniors are the territory of the manager. I hope he keeps Giggs or something like that, but he shouldn't have to find room for three or four. He has his way of working and his people for it. We shouldn't handicap him like that.

Skills

Snitch
I'm leaning towards Giggs with a world class coach on his side.
I'm starting to lean towards this as well. It seems pretty obvious, this will hang over us until he's given his shot at managing United whether he deserves it or not. If he's a success great, if not we can hopefully get this out of the way early.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Didnt he have a massive fallout with Rivaldo in his time there? Not sure how much of a hand he had in bringing him there as they had very different views on how to best utilize him. Robben, as the german posters have pointed out, was a signing he accepted rather than pursued. The rest all are academy players he brought through. My initial point was that he's transfer averse by the looks of it and what you've said does nothing to dispel that.
I sent you another post ffs

devilish

If rumours are correct then it's very likely he felt Moyes was making a mess of the job, and couldn't stay quiet?

Much like the fans.
That's not really the point though. The last thing a manager want in his coaching staff is someone who back stabs the manager when things start going wrong. The coaching staff is a close knit group with the mentality that if they thrive or sink they thrive/sink together. They can afford having coaching staff ganging with players against the manager or leaking vital information.

I am not saying that Giggs did that but if he did, then I wont be surprised if VG doesn't want him.

Sultan

I'm starting to lean towards this as well. It seems pretty obvious, this will hang over us until he's given his shot at managing United whether he deserves it or not. If he's a success great, if not we can hopefully get this out of the way.
Just imagine we could potentially have another guy who could manage the club for a few decades.

SirFergie

So we let Moyes bring Everton coaches here and we're finding it a problem for van Gaal to get his team here?
Moyes was allowed to bring the coaches he wanted and fire those who he didn't want. Same thing should be offered to VG.
Thing is, do we actually know this is a bone of contention? There was an article at weekend that claimed LvG had no problem working with any of them. Now all of a sudden it's a problem? It's a load of shit stirring by the cnuts in the media. The Club is vulnerable at the moment and they're taking every opportunity to write shite.

Also I wouldn't say Moyes was allowed, rather we had no choice after he sacked 2 and the others decided to leave or retire. I can't see the Club having a problem with him bringing in his own staff but there's probably been discussions with him in incorporating Giggs, Scholes etc. Butt I can't see being a problem because he'll most likely go back to being assistant U21 coach and Phil might leave anyway along with Chris Woods.

Skills

Snitch
Just imagine we could potentially have another guy who could manage the club for a few decades.
Yep, like I said if he's a success it would be great - like if Moyes would've been who was another long term manager. If he's not, he would've had his shot and there's no cloud hanging over our future managers with everyone pining for Giggs to be given his chance.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Thing is, do we actually know this is a bone of contention? There was an article at weekend that claimed LvG had no problem working with any of them. Now all of a sudden it's a problem? It's a load of shit stirring by the cnuts in the media. The Club is vulnerable at the moment and they're taking every opportunity to write shite.

Also I wouldn't say Moyes was allowed, rather we had no choice after he sacked 2 and the others decided to leave or retire. I can't see the Club having a problem with him bringing in his own staff but there's probably been discussions with him in incorporating Giggs, Scholes etc. Butt I can't see being a problem because he'll most likely go back to being assistant U21 coach and Phil might leave anyway along with Chris Woods.
van Gaal likes to keep 1 coach from the previous team and not all of them. It's not about the coaches with him, it's about authority. If they don't give him 100% power and authority he won't come.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm starting to lean towards this as well. It seems pretty obvious, this will hang over us until he's given his shot at managing United whether he deserves it or not. If he's a success great, if not we can hopefully get this out of the way early.
If that's the case then we've properly turned into a complete joke and deserve the sharp decline Moyes set us on our way to.

Varun

Staff
Or another disaster and one that'l be even tougher to rectify.

Why cant Giggsy earn it like any other guy out there? He's been a coach for barely a year now and has absolutely no experience of managing at any level. Why cant he earn it by managing somewhere else for the next few years? Its not as if Van Gaal if appointed will be here for the next 20yrs anyways.

devilish

Well there's a difference between a manager who can work with everyone and a manager who is FORCED to work with 4-5 people. Under the latter situation one will be asking whose the manager of whom.

VG is an old fox. He may have identified resistance to change is United's main problem and getting rid of people whose been there since forever may be the right direction for the club.

If the club is not keen to let an outsider have complete authority over the club's management then they should simply hire Giggs as manager. Its unfair to hire people just to use them as scapegoats when/if things go wrong.

Varun

Staff
Eh? Why exactly?

SirFergie

van Gaal likes to keep 1 coach from the previous team and not all of them. It's not about the coaches with him, it's about authority. If they don't give him 100% power and authority he won't come.
Like I've said, Nicky Butt didn't work with the senior side before, he only stepped up to help Giggsy. Scholes could help out again with the U21's and Phil will most likely leave. I don't see the problem.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There isnt one. However if its a choice between RVP and Rooney I know which one he would most likely pic
Yeah, the one who responds better to the tactics and performs better. This xenophobia/favouritism is a bit odd. If Rooney is performing better than RvP; LvG would drop the latter. It's not as simple as 'he's Dutch, I'll keep him'. Heck, maybe Hernandez, or even Welbeck will perform better, and he'd drop both for him.

Mister Ed

Not being serious, but I would certainly love to see his reaction to another Rooney tantrum/contract demand saga.
Except there won't be one, he is on of the best contracts in the world, I don't think he'll get a better deal anywhere else.

Sultan

Or another disaster and one that'l be even tougher to rectify.

Why cant Giggsy earn it like any other guy out there? He's been a coach for barely a year now and has absolutely no experience of managing at any level. Why cant he earn it by managing somewhere else for the next few years? Its not as if Van Gaal if appointed will be here for the next 20yrs anyways.
He knows football, he knows the club. We won't know his man management skills until given a chance.

Although chances are better, but there are no guarantees any other manager however successful he has been at other clubs coming in would be successful.

Skills

Snitch
Eh? Why exactly?
Because he knows 'the united way' and all that comes along with it having played under Fergie all his career. He hadn't managed a game in his life until Saturday, and has been a coach for less than a year yet he's being seriously suggest to take over Manchester United. Whenever something goes wrong, a lot of people will be pining for him to take over. That won't go away until he's had his chance.

Varun

Staff
He knows football, he knows the club. We won't know his man management skills until given a chance.

Although chances are better, but there are no guarantees any other manager however successful he has been at other clubs coming in would be successful.
We have quite a few who know football and know the club sults. If Giggsy deserves it based on that, why not Scholes, Butt, The Nev brothers, Becks, Cantona, etc etc. Its a long list.

And ofcourse we can know his man management skills, there are other clubs out there where he can take over and prove himself like others do.

Sultan

Don't know if already posted.

Guardiola has quickly established himself as one of the best managers in world football having led Barcelona to three league titles and two Champions League trophies in an illustrious four-year stint at the club before guiding Bayern to the Bundesliga title and the Champions League semi-finals this season.

Giggs is in charge of United for the final four matches of the current campaign following the sacking of David Moyes, and a 4-0 victory over Norwich City in his first game at the helm has led speculation that he could be handed the job on a permanent basis.

Lindegaard believes that the 40-year-old United legend would be a fine choice to take over at the club, likening him to both Guardiola and former manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

"It might sound pretty rash and naive, but, in my opinion, we are dealing with a new Guardiola. What we have seen in the first week has been more than convincing. The similarities with Sir Alex Ferguson are striking and it is evident that Ryan Giggs has learnt from one of history's most respected football managers," Lindegaard told BBC Sport.

"Some would question whether you can go from being a team-mate one day to a manager the next. Normally I would have reservations as well, but, in the case of Giggs, it is different.

"His latest speech, before the team went onto the pitch for the Norwich game, made my hairs stand on end in a way that I have only ever experienced from Sir Alex Ferguson: Do not disappoint the fans."

Despite a number of players publicly backing Giggs, Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal remains the favourite to take the reins at Old Trafford this summer.

Revan

Assumptionman
If the deal is off because we want to keep some coaches who combined have less experience in this profession then anyone of Van Gaal's stuff and because we don't allow Van Gaal to bring on his own staff then we are fecking idiots and deserve to re-hire Moyes on a life term contract worthy of 5m a week.

For feck sake we sacked the staff under whom we had the best record in our history for a bynch of nobodies from Everton and now apparently we are refusing to sack some coaches who weren't here last week. Pathetic if true!

Varun

Staff
Because he knows 'the united way' and all that comes along with it having played under Fergie all his career. He hadn't managed a game in his life until Saturday, and has been a coach for less than a year yet he's being seriously suggest to take over Manchester United. Whenever something goes wrong, a lot of people will be pining for him to take over. That won't go away until he's had his chance.
As I said to Sults, we have a long list to go through if that's reason enough to become the United manager. Start with Giggsy and then we go to scholes, the Nev brothers, becks, butt, etc. That's a decade or 2 sorted regardless of how they perform considering how tough it'd be to sack them if things didnt go as per plan.

Simply put, he has to earn the chance. Just like the likes of Ole are doing and the likes of Bruce/Hughes failed at. You dont appoint someone manager just because he's a club legend.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I don't even want to comment on ppl wanting Giggs. It's great to give a motivational speech against Norwich, but how can anyone prefer him to an experienced manager when facing Jose, Wenger, or another top manager in crucial games? And let's go further: When preparing for a tactical battle in Europe against Ancelotti, Guardiola, Klopp et al? And the mosr important thing: Actually changing tactics, approach, formation during a game against those top managers? Absolutely baffling!

devilish

Guardiola was the master mind behind the Barcelona youth system which produced Messi and co. What exactly did Giggs do (managerial wise) to be offered the job?

In my opinion Giggs should do like Robson, Bruce and Ole did and prove himself elsewhere. If he manages where the others had failed then I would love him at OT. If not, well, tough luck.

There again I was never a keen supporter of nepotism in the first place.

Sultan

We have quite a few who know football and know the club sults. If Giggsy deserves it based on that, why not Scholes, Butt, The Nev brothers, Becks, Cantona, etc etc. Its a long list.

And ofcourse we can know his man management skills, there are other clubs out there where he can take over and prove himself like others do.
The reason Giggs is the interim manager is very likely management higher up know his credentials are higher than those you have named.

PS: I completely understand your reasoning makes a lot sense, especially having Giggs as an assistant to a top manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.