United linked with van Gaal in the meeja

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varun

Staff
The reason Giggs is the interim manager is very likely management higher up know his credentials are higher than those you have named.

PS: I completely understand your reasoning, and opinion. Makes a lot sense. Especially having Giggs as an assistant to a top manager.
That's what I want to see. Let someone like Van Gaal take over now. Get 3 odd years out of him and let the likes of Giggsy either be an assistant till then or better still be a manager somewhere else. Then, take a call at that time based on what transpires till then.

Sweet Square

If United are going to appoint Van Gaal then it has to be soon. Another win with Giggs in charge will just add to the momentum of option of being him becoming the United. Which I think in a few years could be ideal but it's way too soon and too much of a gamble.

Also if it goes wrong what are United going to do SACK GIGGS!!

Skills

Snitch
As I said to Sults, we have a long list to go through if that's reason enough to become the United manager. Start with Giggsy and then we go to scholes, the Nev brothers, becks, butt, etc. That's a decade or 2 sorted regardless of how they perform considering how tough it'd be to sack them if things didnt go as per plan.

Simply put, he has to earn the chance. Just like the likes of Ole are doing and the likes of Bruce/Hughes failed at. You dont appoint someone manager just because he's a club legend.
Well if he does fail, you'd hope that people would learn the lesson rather than want to commit the same mistake again and again. It's a bit like Liverpool with Dalglish, their fans were desperate for him to take over when the job was up for grabs. Post Rafa, and then post Hodgson. It was just something that needed to be flushed out of their system.

Mister Ed

A board full of dreamers and sentimental idiots, they will ruin the club if they continue on this path. First the ridiculous fantasy about Moyes being the chosen one to replace SAF, now this fantasy about Giggs being the next Pep Guardiola and those stupid demands of wanting the class of 92 to be in the coaching staff at any cost. If any of this is true and we lose out on LVG and I have to watch Ryan Giggs ruin next season like Moyes has ruined this season, I'll be absolutley furious with the board. It is like a bunch of permanently high hippies running a big multinational firm, recipe for disaster.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't blame Van Gaal for wanting to bring his own people with him, it's what every manager does. I can also see why the club would want him to keep the current staff, they obviously feel the coaching changes had a negative effect on this season and they don't want a repeat of that, thus they feel having the likes of Giggs and Scholes helps him. I'm sure he wouldn't mind keeping one or two of them around but for him to keep all current staff is pretty crazy if you ask me, no manager would have that in fact. It's already a high pressured job as it is and if he feels having his own people helps him then so be it.

Plugsy

I'm uncomfortable with people anointing Giggs manager after van Gaal. What is this based on? How fit he looks in a tie?

Varun

Staff
Well if he does fail, you'd hope that people would learn the lesson rather than want to commit the same mistake again and again. It's a bit like Liverpool with Dalglish, their fans were desperate for him to take over when the job was up for grabs. Post Rafa, and then post Hodgson. It was just something that needed to be flushed out of their system.
Its nothing like the Dalglish situation. Giggsy hasnt even been a coach for a year. And this fascination with romantic choices and decade long managerial regimes is what got us Moyes. Surely lesson learnt?

Plugsy

I don't blame Van Gaal for wanting to bring his own people with him, it's what every manager does. I can also see why the club would want him to keep the current staff, they obviously feel the coaching changes had a negative effect on this season and they don't want a repeat of that, thus they feel having the likes of Giggs and Scholes helps him. I'm sure he wouldn't mind keeping one or two of them around but for him to keep all current staff is pretty crazy if you ask me, no manager would have that in fact. It's already a high pressured job as it is and if he feels having his own people helps him then so be it.
The staff have been in place for one match. How would changing them be any kind of a upheaval whatsoever?

Sir A1ex

Guardiola was the master mind behind the Barcelona youth system which produced Messi and co.
You do talk some shit. He had one season managing the B team... hardly the "master mind behind the system which produced Messi and co".

Messi last played for the B team in 2004-05, three years before Pep was running it. By the time Pep took over, he'd had three seasons in the first team.

Please don't just make rubbish like this up.

PlayerOne

The staff have been in place for one match. How would changing them be any kind of a upheaval whatsoever?
I assume there would be some back room changes too, maybe people who were there since SAF. Giggs has been around for years, so has Scholes. Woods has been here almost a year now too. It's more than one match.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Woodward is under pressure from Glazers to find the right manager. I just hope after the Moyes disaster he plays it safe and doesn't listen to any sentimentalists at all.

Mister Ed

He knows football, he knows the club. We won't know his man management skills until given a chance.

Although chances are better, but there are no guarantees any other manager however successful he has been at other clubs coming in would be successful.
He knows shit about tactics from a managerial point of view and I don't need to see his management skills to know he won't drop his best friends and ex-collegues when it needs to happen. I know he won't ship out the deadwood, I know he won't bring turnaround. He'll just run us stuck as a club and worsen our situation.

At best he'll provide a motivational spark after a good speach, like Seedorf does at Milan, but anything more than that is wishfull thinking. He has 0 experience, no tactical wits and too biased to implement the changes that need to happen.

If Giggs takes over, then I'll rue the day we firred Moyes, because we would have been better off with him (and I hated having him as our coach).

Plugsy

I assume there would be some back room changes too, maybe people who were there since SAF. Giggs has been around for years, so has Scholes. Woods has been here almost a year now too. It's more than one match.
Giggs hasn't even got a full season under his belt as a coach, Scholes' first involvement in first team affairs since retirement was Saturday and I hardly think Chris Woods' position will make or break things.

Revan

Assumptionman
Guardiola was the master mind behind the Barcelona youth system which produced Messi and co. What exactly did Giggs do (managerial wise) to be offered the job?

In my opinion Giggs should do like Robson, Bruce and Ole did and prove himself elsewhere. If he manages where the others had failed then I would love him at OT. If not, well, tough luck.

There again I was never a keen supporter of nepotism in the first place.
No he wasn't. Cruyff started it while Van Gaal made it much more effective than before. Guardiola was their coach for a season and didn't improve it at all, in fact the number of quality players coming after he left their academy is lower than it was before (although likely it has nothing to do with him).

However saying that Pep was the mastermind behind it which produced players like Messi is completely untrue. Messi was a first team regular long before Guardiola was doing anything on their academy.

Varun

Staff
If we appoint Giggsy and it turns out to be a disaster, we'l be stuck for a while :nervous:. Really hope we have more sense than this specially after the bloody disaster that was the last managerial appointment.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
If Giggs wants to try his luck as a manager, he should experiment at another club. We have no time for experiments. A 2nd season without champions league football would be disastrous.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Yeah, the one who responds better to the tactics and performs better. This xenophobia/favouritism is a bit odd. If Rooney is performing better than RvP; LvG would drop the latter. It's not as simple as 'he's Dutch, I'll keep him'. Heck, maybe Hernandez, or even Welbeck will perform better, and he'd drop both for him.
Absolutely nothing to do with favoritism or nationality. RVP just suits his game better. I also fear for Mata under LVG. Welbeck will show up as being overrated and clumsy just like he did for Fergie and Moyes

Plugsy

It's stunning that we're talking about potentially missing out on one of football's top coaches on the basis of "it worked out well against Norwich", or what's the other one? "Guardiola too had dark hair"

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You do talk some shit. He had one season managing the B team... hardly the "master mind behind the system which produced Messi and co".

Messi last played for the B team in 2004-05, three years before Pep was running it. By the time Pep took over, he'd had three seasons in the first team.

Please don't just make rubbish like this up.
http://footballcantera.com/josep-guardiolas-greatest-achievement-barca-b-part-24/

The youth team lacked a plan. Josep Guardiola arrived with one, and transform a doomed b-team and youth system to a diamond mine. I will not go into detail on how the plan Guardiola and his men designed in 2007 looked like; but you can find it explained by Martí Pernarnau

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
A board full of dreamers and sentimental idiots, they will ruin the club if they continue on this path. First the ridiculous fantasy about Moyes being the chosen one to replace SAF, now this fantasy about Giggs being the next Pep Guardiola and those stupid demands of wanting the class of 92 to be in the coaching staff at any cost. If any of this is true and we lose out on LVG and I have to watch Ryan Giggs ruin next season like Moyes has ruined this season, I'll be absolutley furious with the board. It is like a bunch of permanently high hippies running a big multinational firm, recipe for disaster.
The club are absolutely correct if these reports are correct. The core of backroom staff should remain. One of Moyes' biggest mistake was not keeping at least a few members of the backroom staff.

PlayerOne

Giggs hasn't even got a full season under his belt as a coach, Scholes' first involvement in first team affairs since retirement was Saturday and I hardly think Chris Woods' position will make or break things.
No, you misunderstand me. Giggs and Scholes have been in the dressing for years and if you doubt their influence, go read what the players say about them. What if DDG really enjoys working with Woods and asked for him to stay on? Maybe he doesn't want to have another coach again. Like I said before, there would be other staff changes too.

Crono

The club are absolutely correct if these reports are correct. The core of backroom staff should remain. One of Moyes' biggest mistake was not keeping at least a few members of the backroom staff.
What core of backroom staff should remain? The ones who've been there since last week?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
He knows football, he knows the club. We won't know his man management skills until given a chance. .
Manage the youth team then, or the reserves, like Guardiola. Even insisting he's an assistant is too much power at this point. It's indulging him too much.

Plugsy

Remain?

What are you talking about, they've been there for one match. We don't have backroom staff we have a series of people filling in on an interim basis until the end of the season.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I can't agree with that. Most members of our backroom staff have no coaching experience at all. How does that make them more qualified than van Gaal's team that coached countless world class players? I know I'd rather have van Gaal's team.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Hiring Moyes over the other far more qualified coaches/managers due to being A) British & B) the notion of continuing the "United way" only to sack him and consider/(anoint?) Giggs under the exact same principles would just be hilarious, I mean you would have to laugh at it would you not? otherwise you'd cry yourself to sleep.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
No he wasn't. Cruyff started it while Van Gaal made it much more effective than before. Guardiola was their coach for a season and didn't improve it at all, in fact the number of quality players coming after he left their academy is lower than it was before (although likely it has nothing to do with him).

However saying that Pep was the mastermind behind it which produced players like Messi is completely untrue. Messi was a first team regular long before Guardiola was doing anything on their academy.
My mistake for mentioning Messi.

However would you kindly tell me how Barcelona B was fairing prior to Guardiola's appointment and how they faired afterwards?

Skills

Snitch
I think the mistake was more replacing them with coaches who, along with him, were quite clearly out of their depth. Pretty sure Mourinho takes most of his crew wherever he goes.

Plugsy

No, you misunderstand me. Giggs and Scholes have been in the dressing for years and if you doubt their influence, go read what the players say about them. What if DDG really enjoys working with Woods and asked for him to stay on? Maybe he doesn't want to have another coach again. Like I said before, there would be other staff changes too.
But why was Scholes being in the dressing room not an issue for us last Monday?

So it's something we're willing to miss out on van Gaal over but 7 days ago we weren't fussed if he was at home picking his arse in front of Countdown?

Mister_Stubbs

I can't help but wonder if the majority of those who want to give Giggsy the job full time are doing so out of sentiment, for the romance of the idea.

Revan

Assumptionman
He knows football, he knows the club. We won't know his man management skills until given a chance.

Although chances are better, but there are no guarantees any other manager however successful he has been at other clubs coming in would be successful.
He hasn't much tactical knowledge though. He has played under a single manager in his entire footballing career, and if you can take a single aspect of Ferguson that wasn't world class it's his tactics.

I think that Giggs man management are fine although it may be problem that he is mate with players. However at other aspects of the game I doubt it'll work. Maybe if we get both Queiroz and Rene as his assistants and Giggs beinng a managerial figure getting advise when needed from Fergie (similar to Dalglish-Evans-Paisley) it may work, but still it is a big if and I don't think that we should make that gamble right now. If it doesn't work we will be in a more difficult position (especially since he'll be here at-least for two years regardless of performances, we won't sack him in the first year even if he is as bad as Moyes) and it will rue his chance to become our long term manager forever, even if he has it on him.

Crono

I can't help but wonder if the majority of those who want to give Giggsy the job full time are doing so out of sentiment, for the romance of the idea.
I can't help but wonder how many of those who want Giggsy thought Moyes would be a good manager.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Well ofcourse.

There is no hard evidence to suggest that Giggs will be a good manager.

Infact usually, great players make shite managers.

Plugsy

You know at this rate if we get hammered by Sunderland it'd be a relief. Mind you then the 'Poyet for United' badwagon will roll.

"He's beaten us and his team talk was like Jose gave it" and arguments that he's been at OT for 3 hours that day so must be offered a job for the sake of continuity.

"Guardiola is also foreign", they'll cry

Sir A1ex

http://footballcantera.com/josep-guardiolas-greatest-achievement-barca-b-part-24/
The youth team lacked a plan. Josep Guardiola arrived with one, and transform a doomed b-team and youth system to a diamond mine. I will not go into detail on how the plan Guardiola and his men designed in 2007 looked like; but you can find it explained by Martí Pernarnau
To be honest I wouldn't expect you to be able to provide the details of the time machine he used to "produce" Messi, several years after he'd broken into the first team. Leave that to the quantum physics boffins, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.