United linked with van Gaal in the meeja

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxter

Sorry to be a pedant but I think the Sky stat is wrong.. It's actually 4 instead of 5.. Anyway he coached the national team for long periods so that's one counter.. Another is he took a sabbatical.. Both of these factored into his trophy drought..

Anyway recent trophies are not an apt measure of his value and tactical astuteness. Juup Heyneckes had won just 3 trophies since 1990s before being appointed Bayern boss and it worked out fine for them in the end. Guus Hiddink has won has won a similar 5 trophies in the 2000s, Fabio Capello has just 2 in the same time frame. Yet all of them are considered among the best coaches ever, along with Van Gaal.
Yeah, 4 years with the Netherlands or without a club. He also spent 4 years at AZ which culminated in winning the league for the first time in over 25 years. A bit unfair to state that his lack of trophies show that he is finished or whatever Sky and Carragher were suggesting.

Plugsy

Neville is just promoting whichever option he feels is most likely to keep his brother in a job.

Mainoldo

Does any manager works with 2 goalkeeping coaches? Because Frans Hoek is dead cert to be our new goalkeeping coach if Van Gaal becomes the new manager. And he is better than Woods for sure. I would take Giggsy as assistant but I don't think that it is a good idea to force it.
Thank you for the sarcasm.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Gary Neville should just shut up! Maybe we should go for Hodgson once England sack him after the WC?

Skills

Snitch
If he does get the job, does anyone think he might want to go all out in his final managerial job? Be less averse to signing big players, just so he could go out on top?

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Interesting stat - Van Gaal has won 3 major honours in the past 5 years, despite working two of those as an International coach.

Interesting and strange fact - Everyman and his dog in British football and the British footballing press thought that Moyes was a great appointment despite him only have ever won the second division title in his career.

Very interesting indeed.

RedBistro

This is turning into one of those crap talent shows with each person getting votes. :lol:

If you would like Giggs text "Giggs In" to 58688, or if you would prefer Van Gaal, text "Van Gaal In".

Please ask for permission from the bill payer before voting.

Current votes:

Giggs: 3 - Mata, Rooney, and Lindergard.
Van Gaal: 3 - Beckenbauer, Van Der Sar, Kluivert.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Yes I think that stat is misleading. He has won 2 League titles, 1 German Cup and 1 Supercup since the 2000s. He was also the German coach of the year and 2010 and reached the CL finals with Bayern when he lost out to Mourinho's Inter. He almost won the treble with Bayern in that year, something they later achieved under Heyneckes. On top of that he coached Holland in the 2014 World Cup qualifiers where they were the 2nd fastest European team to qualify for the mains and I think (not 100% sure) that they had the best goal difference. I might be wrong but seems to me that Sky has an agenda against him and are portraying him as some sort of ancient dilapidated relic that has nothing more to offer.

Revan

Assumptionman
Thank you for the sarcasm.
Cheers. I think that when people talk about what coaches a certain manager should keep or bring, it would be nice if they at-least have an idea of what brand of football the manager plays. I have been saying this a lot these days, but the keeper on Van Gaal's system plays almost like a third center back (a bit less extreme than in Bielsa's system when the keeper plays in line with the central defenders, or Bielsa's disciples like the manager of coach) and he starts many actions. The team passes the ball a lot to him (much more than we did to VDS), and for that you need a keeper who is decent at passing (which De Gea is) but who is also coached to play in that way. And I guess there is no better coach in the world than Hoek to do that considering that he has been doing it for more than 2 decades and has teached a lot of keepers (like VDS, Valdez, Reina) to do that. And if there is a single thing that those keepers have in common is how good they are with the ball and how active they were during the game.

dev1l

Does any manager works with 2 goalkeeping coaches? Because Frans Hoek is dead cert to be our new goalkeeping coach if Van Gaal becomes the new manager. And he is better than Woods for sure. I would take Giggsy as assistant but I don't think that it is a good idea to force it.
on what basis Franz hoek is better than woods 'for sure'?

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What was Gary saying? That we need a British manager? Did he offer up any names then?

Kaos

Are we still entertaining the Giggs idea?! For the love of Eric.

There were those who thought Robson would go on to be a great manager, we all thought Solskjaer would be a revelation after winning the Norwegian league too. Lets not take another stupid risk ffs. Let the class of 92 earn their stripes coaching elsewhere...or at the very least the reserves, youth team, whatever. If van Gaal fecks off to Spurs because we're being too precious with our sentimentality then we deserve to be in the same league position next year.

Amir

I was talking about that a Manager does not have to be a great tactition as some of you put it. Fergie never used to take part in actual training session, only the preparing. This applies to Giggs as some of you seem to think Giggs is tacticaly inept. Now, lets say he is so, he just has to do what Fergie done and hire great tactical coaches who have the same vision as his.
I don't think he's tactically inept. But having played for one man for so long it's quite possible recreating that style is the thing he knows best and what he'll be trying to do. Obviously it was only one game, but even Saturday's lineup could be seen as a hint as to what Giggs is most comfortable and natural with, and may do as a manager. And we need to avoid that now. We need to play differently.

As for letting him manage and someone else do the tactics, it's the exact same thing with Moyes. Some people said we need to bring in a quality coach to help him. But if someone needs an assistant to 'teach' him football, then maybe the assistant should be the manager. Also, what do we know of Giggs's strengths as a manager to make that a good model even is someone else does the coaching?

We need an experienced, world class manager. I don't get how some people can think otherwise...

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Interesting stat - Van Gaal has won 3 major honours in the past 5 years, despite working two of those as an International coach.

Interesting and strange fact - Everyman and his dog in British football and the British footballing press thought that Moyes was a great appointment despite him only have ever won the second division title in his career.

Very interesting indeed.
Yep pretty much, apart from fans.

Revan

Assumptionman
on what basis Franz hoek is better than woods 'for sure'?
Having worked on Barca, Bayern and Ajax instead of Everton for a start. Having worked with VDS, Reina and Valdez too. All those keepers are great with the ball at their feet (which cannot be a coincidence). And being more experienced.

Bader

Interesting stat on Sky Sports LVG has only won 3 trophies since the end of 90's. J Carra thinks he is from old school.
Context
"Managerial Career"
Netherlands national team (2000–2002)
Under Van Gaal, the Netherlands started their campaign to qualify for the 2002 FIFA World Cup poorly. Placed in Group 2, they could only manage to secure a late 2–2 draw at home to the Republic of Ireland, having been 2–0 down with 20 minutes to go. A 4–0 win overCyprus was followed by a 2–0 defeat toPortugal, though the team went on to defeatSpain 2–1 in a friendly at the end of the year.

In 2001, the Netherlands beat Andorra, Cyprusand Estonia, but despite leading group leaders Portugal 2–0 with seven minutes left, drew 2–2 and fell three points behind second-place Ireland, who were unbeaten. When the sides met in Dublin, Ireland won 1–0 and the Netherlands fell seven points behind them with two games left to play, meaning that they failed to qualify for theWorld Cup for the first time since 1986. Van Gaal stepped down as manager on 31 January 2002 to be replaced by Dick Advocaat. After this, speculation began that Van Gaal would succeed Alex Ferguson atManchester United once Ferguson claimed he would retire that year. According to Van Gaal, Ferguson decided against retiring and the deal fell through.[8][9]

Return to Barcelona (2002–2003)
Van Gaal returned to Barcelona for the start of the 2002–03 season, but results were inconsistent. After four wins, four draws and three defeats from their opening 11 league matches, Barcelona lost three matches in a row, to Real Sociedad, relegation-threatenedRayo Vallecano and Sevilla. Two wins and a draw improved things but after successive defeats to Valencia and Celta de Vigo, he was sacked in January 2003 with the club just three points above the relegation zone.[7][10]

Return to Ajax (2004)
In 2004, he returned to Ajax as a technical director, but resigned later that year due to an internal conflict.

AZ (2005–2009)

Van Gaal with AZ.
In January 2005, it was announced that he would replace Co Adriaanse as AZ manager on 1 July 2005.[11][12] Under Van Gaal, AZ finished second in the Eredivisie in 2005–06and third in 2006–07. Van Gaal also led AZ to a runners-up finish in the 2006–07 KNVB Cupand lost a 2007–08 UEFA Champions Leaguequalification play-off to Ajax 4–2 on aggregate.

Van Gaal initially announced he would leave AZ at the end of the 2007–08 season due to disappointing results, with the club finishing 11th in the Eredivisie.[13] However, when several players of the AZ squad pointed out that they would like Van Gaal to stay with AZ, Van Gaal said he would give the players a chance to prove themselves.

AZ started the 2008–09 season with two losses: 2–1 to NAC Breda and 0–3 to ADO Den Haag, but after that the Alkmaar-based club remained unbeaten until 18 April, topping the table ahead of FC Twente and Ajax for the entire season. AZ had the best defensive record in the Eredivisie and the second-best goalscoring record, behind Ajax, thanks to its offensive duo of league topscorer Mounir El Hamdaoui and Brazilian Ari. They were crowned league champions on 19 April, one day after AZ suffered an unexpected loss at home to Vitesse, which ended a string of 28 unbeaten games. That same day Ajax, the only opponent still in theory able to surpass AZ, lost 6–2 to PSV.[14][15]

Bayern Munich (2009–2011)
On 1 July 2009, Van Gaal took over as coach of Bayern Munich.[16][17] Van Gaal referred to his new employer as a "dream club".[18] He got off to a poor start as Bayern coach, winning only one of his first four matches in charge, and by November the club was on the brink of a first-round Champions League exit following two

More
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_van_Gaal

You have to account as you are reading this, hentried to revolutionise every team he is in. That takes a lot of time. Winning titles in his first year is a great achievemnt to last the least. He is not like any other coach who comes in does a job like Mourinho, Ancelloti etc. Klopp is the nearest manager that I would compare to Van Gaal in terms of the scale of the vision they have for football. Guardiola already had a team with a philosophy and great players. Van Gaal and Klopp literally start from the bottom.

14 years (since 2000) broken down:

Total of 4 years in Netherlands national team. Not going to win anything there.

Total of 1 year at Barca. Bad time there, but before the turn of the century, he won two league titles and a copa del ray in the space if 3 years. Remember that Managers who come back toa club later on, most likely do very bad the secind time round.

Spent 1 year as an Ajax director. Was not a manager.

At AZ for 4 years. He came 2nd and 3rd to Ajax who were far superior than them. Then he won the Title. They also had the best defensive record, which is an achievemnt considering Van Gaal's attacking philosophy.

Sent 2 years at Bayern Munich and won a Title and two cups. Remeber he he set up the foundations for thr team that is what it is now. That takes time and patience. But throuhg the way they won a title and two cup.

Now he is in Netherlands squad.

So, the time he was in 'top' clubs in Barca and Bayern, he has not just won a lot, but won it while transforming the clubs. They are the clubs they are now, because of him

AZ and Netherlands squads arenvery unlikely to win much. You lool at Guardiola and Mourinho, their whole career was in top clubs.

I am not saying Van Gaal is the best there is, but I would want that stat to be put in context.

Plugsy

There's a lot of 'jobs for the boys' going on with the media/ex-pros, Neville isn't immune. He'll want his mates in or at least people who he's friendly with on the circuit.

dev1l

Having worked on Barca, Bayern and Ajax instead of Everton for a start. Having worked with VDS, Reina and Valdez too. All those keepers are great with the ball at their feet (which cannot be a coincidence). And being more experienced.
if there s something de gea is great at is with the ball at his feet. He s better than the 3 other keepers you mentioned

stevoc

Interesting stat on Sky Sports LVG has only won 3 trophies since the end of 90's. J Carra thinks he is from old school.
I wouldn't look too much into that really, he was winning trophies at club level regularly up until around 2000. Since 2000 hes only managed 6 full seasons at club level, in between two stints as Holland manager.

In those 6 seasons he won 3 trophies not bad considering 4 of those years were at AZ Alkmaar.

Kakeru

I want to know something: where does it say that LVG can't bring in his people and yet keep the Class of '92 boys in the positions they were working in? Butt and Scholes were working with the youth teams while Giggs was already first team coach until the interim appointment. It's only Phil Neville who needs to be reoriented somewhere else inside the club to learn his job properly. I see room for LVG to bring his people (to replace Round, Lumsden and perhaps Woods).

Also, I counted 3 fitness coaches, 2 team doctors and 5 physiotherapists at Bayern Munich. They are goddamn serious about fitness and health too; I hope one of the debating points is not about medical staff as well.

Revan

Assumptionman
if there s something de gea is great at is with the ball at his feet. He s better than the 3 other keepers you mentioned
A better keeper or better with the ball at his feet? He's a better keeper than the two Spaniards though I think that VDS was probably slightly better than him. Both of VDS and especially Valdez are better than him with the ball at their feet though. Both of them also get/got more involved in the game than De Gea who usually stays near the goal on the entire match, while on Van Gaal's system the keeper is more advanced and is more nearer to the central defenders rather than the goal. I guess that for that you need proper coaching.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Did he provide a name?
Of course not, because deep down he knows there is nobody out there capable. He is deluded. But admitted that it looked likely that it would be Van Gaal, who he called an "experienced hand who has managed massive clubs". You said it Gary.

RedBistro

Not sure what the source is for this.......

EDIT: The same article where he says about Van Gaal being the best manager he's played for.

dev1l

A better keeper or better with the ball at his feet? He's a better keeper than the two Spaniards though I think that VDS was probably slightly better than him. Both of VDS and especially Valdez are better than him with the ball at their feet though. Both of them also get/got more involved in the game than De Gea who usually stays near the goal on the entire match, while on Van Gaal's system the keeper is more advanced and is more nearer to the central defenders rather than the goal. I guess that for that you need proper coaching.
difficult to say - its just opinions. Ddg was probably our best player this season and he s happy with woods - why change a winning formula?.

Amir

I want to know something: where does it say that LVG can't bring in his people and yet keep the Class of '92 boys in the positions they were working in? Butt and Scholes were working with the youth teams while Giggs was already first team coach until the interim appointment. It's only Phil Neville who needs to be reoriented somewhere else inside the club to learn his job properly. I see room for LVG to bring his people (to replace Round, Lumsden and perhaps Woods).

Also, I counted 3 fitness coaches, 2 team doctors and 5 physiotherapists at Bayern Munich. They are goddamn serious about fitness and health too; I hope one of the debating points is not about medical staff as well.
So many correct points there. Who says everyone of the class of '92 has to work in the senior team? They haven't this season. Heck, the four of them with a manager who does his own training might be too many.

As for the medical staff, etc - We may add to it, but even if we replace some of our people, why is that so wrong? Are we so narrow minded we believe ours are the absolte best and no one can improve on that? Some comfort zone. I'm not sure our injury record backs it.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I think that we need to highlight the fact that the title that Van Gaal won with AZ was their first sine 1981 and only the second in their history. It was a great achievement.

Status
Not open for further replies.