United linked with van Gaal in the meeja

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loon

:lol:
Arey ya. The announcement would have nothing to do with the exchanges. You don't have to file with the NYSE FIRST. The entire point of that provision is to ensure there is no material non public information. You can announce it on your website or any public forum.
Thanks. So, it is a bit like the Moyes sacking then? United not obliged to tell the stock market, etc?

Interval

Level
Thanks. So, it is a bit like the Moyes sacking then? United not obliged to tell the stock market, etc?
You can inform the markets through any public forum. It cannot be to selective sources. It has to be a public forum - like your website or multiple newspapers or press conference or something on those lines.

Plugsy

I think what is meant by you must tell markets first is that it's information that must be known to the market at the opening of trading. So announcements made any time during market close are fine. It's to prevent the markets opening at 9am and people trading shares until 12pm where upon an announcement is made which impact the value of those shares, being unfair on those who bought shares in the first three hours of trading.

Loon

:lol:
I think I was probably looking for a reason considering the reports a deal had been done Friday night.

Sir A1ex

It's to prevent the markets opening at 9am and people trading shares until 12pm where upon an announcement is made which impact the value of those shares, being unfair on those who bought shares in the first three hours of trading.
How is that any different to people who bought shares in the final three hours of trading the day before an out-of-hours anouncement?

Surely the point of the rules are to avoid any unfair trading during a brief period after th3e anouncement? Eg, one trader is on redcafe all day, and so knows the second it's anounced, and quickly buys / sells, whereas another trader relies on BBC Sport for his news, and so deosn't know until 10 minutes later.

Brightonian

Have to say I'd prefer Van Gaal. Ancelotti is calm, not disruptive, doesn't necessarily feel the need to make big changes and shake things up when he arrives at a club. And all of that is great, but I think this club needs shaking up. I'm not talking about the players - aside from the midfield and the need to replace departures this summer (Giggs, Ferdinand, Vidic, maybe Evra), I'm happy with our squad. But the style, the approach and the mentality all need disrupting. We need someone like Van Gaal to come in, with a bit of arrogance, and rough everyone up a bit, really impose himself on the club at every level.

Plus Ancelotti's natural style tends to err towards the defensive. Obviously that's not true of his current tenure at Madrid - he's flexible enough to know that caution doesn't suit the embarrassment of attacking riches at his disposal. But even Mourinho, the most defensive of all the current top coaches, played attacking football at Real, so that hardly demonstrates anything. Van Gaal's philosophy strikes me as more suited to United.

Wouldn't complain about either though. They're both top managers, which is what we need.

Bojan11

I'd prefer Van Gaal.

I just feel Ancelotti will stick with RVP and Rooney. And to the above his natural style isn't defensive. He's not a typical Italian coach. I'd say he's more focused on attacking as we saw at Chelsea.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
I'd prefer Van Gaal.

I just feel Ancelotti will stick with RVP and Rooney. And to the above his natural style isn't defensive. He's not a typical Italian coach. I'd say he's more focused on attacking as we saw at Chelsea.
There's a good chance that Van Gaal will stick with RVP and Rooney to imo.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Let's be honest why would Ancelotti leave Madrid?. He's probably on a massive salary, and is working with probably a squad in the top 3 in the world, with arguably the best player in the world.

Stepping down to Valencia, Young, and Cleverley from Ronaldo, Di Maria, and Modric is quite a fall :lol:

Brightonian

And to the above his natural style isn't defensive. He's not a typical Italian coach. I'd say he's more focused on attacking as we saw at Chelsea.
Hmm, that's not quite how I remember it but I could be wrong. Certainly they thrashed a couple of bottom-of-the-table doormats, and that gave them a somewhat misleading goalscoring return. But their standard set-up was one which prioritised defensive solidity, and was efficient and clinical in attack rather than actually aggressive or entertaining. They definitely struggled to score against the better sides.

Again, don't get me wrong - I'd be very happy with him. He's just a slight second-favourite behind Van Gaal, for me.

Interval

Level
I think what is meant by you must tell markets first is that it's information that must be known to the market at the opening of trading. So announcements made any time during market close are fine. It's to prevent the markets opening at 9am and people trading shares until 12pm where upon an announcement is made which impact the value of those shares, being unfair on those who bought shares in the first three hours of trading.
Nope. Its always preferable to announce the news as soon as it happens rather than wait for the markets to close. Less chances of a leak.

Brightonian

Let's be honest why would Ancelotti leave Madrid?. He's probably on a massive salary, and is working with probably a squad in the top 3 in the world, with arguably the best player in the world.

Stepping down to Valencia, Young, and Cleverley from Ronaldo, Di Maria, and Modric is quite a fall :lol:
Sigh. This again. Our three worst/most unpopular players and their three best/most exciting.

I'm not denying they have a better squad, but there's no need to be so hyperbolic about it. From Ronaldo, Di Maria and Modric to Rooney, Van Persie and Mata, or from Khedira, Arbeloa and Nacho to Cleverley, Valencia and Young.

MDFC Manager

Ancelotti would have far greater control, far less interference and far more job security over here, while still having a marquee job and making a similar amount of money. Of course he'd consider the United job, no doubt about that.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Ancelotti has managed both Chelsea and Real. I am not too sure he cares too much about job security or board interference.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Glad to see we're considering all our options and treating this like any other job position. Take several into consideration and give the best man the job.

Varun

Staff
If the talk about him being really transfer averse is true, I can see it being a thorn in these discussions. We're sure to need signings this summer and with the disaster that was this season, I dont think the board are willing to give him a year to look at players from within.

Truedevil

Good to see this as long as Giggs is not an option. Van Gaal would be a really great choice but there are even better names out there who might seem unavaliable but we have to try. Klopp is the obvious one, go on Woody make it happen.

Annahnomoss

Hmm, that's not quite how I remember it but I could be wrong. Certainly they thrashed a couple of bottom-of-the-table doormats, and that gave them a somewhat misleading goalscoring return. But their standard set-up was one which prioritised defensive solidity, and was efficient and clinical in attack rather than actually aggressive or entertaining. They definitely struggled to score against the better sides.

Again, don't get me wrong - I'd be very happy with him. He's just a slight second-favourite behind Van Gaal, for me.
Ancelotti is not really an offensive coach like you say, not even much of a tactical one. He relies more on man-management and a strong defensive core behind that, quite similar to Fergie. If you play Ancelotti you know it will be hard to score and his men accepts rotation in tactical roles. His 4-4-1-1 against Bayern showed proofs of it, handling such stars in such a manner is a huge strength only a very rare few could do without negative response from the players.

His plans in PSG was a 4-4-1-1 with Cavani as a striker with Zlatan according to the Cavani-being-upset sources. PSG improved when Ancelotti left and in terms of offensive ability they have improved an awful lot to a great possession keeping side.

Like I said before the Ancelotti-Bayern game, Ancelotti always has a defensively brilliant 4-4-1-1 in his sleeves for when he wants it. Tactically he is far from van Gaal, but in terms of man management van Gaal is far from Ancelotti.

van Gaal is more in the Guardiola/Klopp/Sacchi sphere where their tactical brilliance is what defines them, Ancelotti is more like SAF where man management is what they thrive from.

van Gaals strengths are stuff SAF wasn't defined for, so we would see a lot of easily recognizable positive steps. Ancelotti would basically be a worse version of SAF in every part of his management so it would be especially hard for United fans to appreciate it for now.

I think Ancelotti may be a great option for the future sometime though.

RedBistro

Good to see this as long as Giggs is not an option. Van Gaal would be a really great choice but there are even better names out there who might seem unavaliable but we have to try. Klopp is the obvious one, go on Woody make it happen.
The only person I'd take over Van Gaal is Klopp. Pep maybe, but I can't see that happening at all.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sigh. This again. Our three worst/most unpopular players and their three best/most exciting.

I'm not denying they have a better squad, but there's no need to be so hyperbolic about it. From Ronaldo, Di Maria and Modric to Rooney, Van Persie and Mata, or from Khedira, Arbeloa and Nacho to Cleverley, Valencia and Young.
Oh come on be serious, I love our club as much as anybody, but you would have to be daft to leave Madrid for us in the current situation.

Unless Ancelotti is hating life in Spain I see no way we can grab him.

Kaos

If the talk about him being really transfer averse is true, I can see it being a thorn in these discussions. We're sure to need signings this summer and with the disaster that was this season, I dont think the board are willing to give him a year to look at players from within.
I think the whole LVG being 'tranverse averse' is being blown out of proportion. If we've given him the expectation of challenging for the title and offering him a substantial transfer budget I doubt he's going to be all like "no need, youth team lol". He might not go full muppet as some of us would like, but he'll definitely sanction a few key signings.

Varun

Staff
I think the whole LVG being 'tranverse averse' is being blown out of proportion. If we've given him the expectation of challenging for the title and offering him a substantial transfer budget I doubt he's going to be all like "no need, youth team lol". He might not go full muppet as some of us would like, but he'll definitely sanction a few key signings.
He's said to have been dead against the Neuer signing because he thought Starke(?) had as much potential. If true, that's quite alarming because we have players like clev,ando,fellaini in CM who he might fancy improving rather than buying a CM.

I hope it isnt the case ofcourse but when discussions are had, transfer plans must be discussed and if he tells us that he'd rather develop players than buy them and wants to have a look at what we have and work with them for a year, its likely to be an issue.

Dominos

I'd feel bad for the guy if this didn't happen now. Seems he was convinced in 2002 the United job was his, this would be the 2nd time he'd have the rug pulled from under him.

Lance Uppercut

Glad to see we're considering all our options and treating this like any other job position. Take several into consideration and give the best man the job.
Agreed. If there is someone out there who is a better option than Van Gaal we should go for it.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Just sign him already we will struggle to get anyone else right now as they are committed to the clubs that they are at and I dont want him going to spurs.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
It's correct for the club to not place all their eggs in the van Gaal basket, but we're probably delaying the inevitable in not hiring him just yet.

Infra-red

I'd prefer Van Gaal.

I am leaning towards this as well. I thought Ancelotti's dismissal from Chelsea was broadly unfair, but one of the things that could have been added to the 'reasons to let him go' column, was his reluctance to freshen up a playing squad that seemed to have gone stale.

I'd definitely agree that he's not a typical Italian coach; he doesn't approach the game from a highly strategic point of view like many of his countrymen, but instead seems to focus on squad harmony, and developing conditions to let individuals express themselves on the pitch (eg more of a Del Bosque/Scolari than a Guardiola/Conte/Mourinho). He has great relationships with his players, but his sides have sometimes been accused of being a little naive tactically (see CL final 2005, or his head-to-heads vs Fergie while he was with Chelsea). Having said that, his performances vs Barcelona with PSG and vs Bayern last week, would be impressive counterpoints to that argument.

Ultimately we are replacing David Moyes, and any of Van Gaal, Ancelotti, Klopp, Conte, Simeone, De Boer, Garcia etc would likely come in and extract some kind of overall improvement.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I am just hoping the club has already reached an agreement with LvG and is only waiting for the official announcement as we don't want to announce it less than a week after Moyes' sacking.

LR7

Have to say I'd prefer Van Gaal. Ancelotti is calm, not disruptive, doesn't necessarily feel the need to make big changes and shake things up when he arrives at a club. And all of that is great, but I think this club needs shaking up. I'm not talking about the players - aside from the midfield and the need to replace departures this summer (Giggs, Ferdinand, Vidic, maybe Evra), I'm happy with our squad. But the style, the approach and the mentality all need disrupting. We need someone like Van Gaal to come in, with a bit of arrogance, and rough everyone up a bit, really impose himself on the club at every level.

Plus Ancelotti's natural style tends to err towards the defensive. Obviously that's not true of his current tenure at Madrid - he's flexible enough to know that caution doesn't suit the embarrassment of attacking riches at his disposal. But even Mourinho, the most defensive of all the current top coaches, played attacking football at Real, so that hardly demonstrates anything. Van Gaal's philosophy strikes me as more suited to United.

Wouldn't complain about either though. They're both top managers, which is what we need.
Good post. I really want van Gaal as well and I hope we don't dilly-dally so long that we end up having to wait until after the WC.

SolidState

You don't even know how ITK he is
Id actually be very dissapointed if we dont get LVG at this point. He would be perfect going forwards and it worries me that we are pissing him about. Klopp isnt coming and if he is, theres no guarantee he would fit our squad and could severely under-perform. LVG has a reputation of being a world class tier manager for a reason.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Heard on my way in to work that we'd confirmed we'd held talks with Van Gaal now. Is this true?

LR7

Id actually be very dissapointed if we dont get LVG at this point. He would be perfect going forwards and it worries me that we are pissing him about. Klopp isnt coming and if he is, theres no guarantee he would fit our squad and could severely under-perform. LVG has a reputation of being a world class tier manager for a reason.
Me too now. I've kind of got my heart set on him coming and I think we need to get the ball rolling so we can get going with our transfer targets and planning for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.