United's penalty-takers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Cornell

then tell us Poque, why keepers don't keep out every penalty whose direction they correctly follow?
Dear fecking god.

No one is saying they will definately save a predictably hit penalty. It just becomes easier since they have an idea where it's going.

You are saying a predictably hit penalty isn't easier to save, which is fecking stupid.

robthered

Ah I didn't see the more recent strand of the argument there.

Well in light of the new direction this bizarre argument has taken I've had a better look at the figures in the study from before;

Left footed kicker is read by the goalkeeper 45.8%

Right footed kicker.........

wait for it..........

48.4% of the time.

Interestingly enough within those figures goalkeepers choices reflected what 'footed' the kicker was, choosing to dive left for a 'leftie' 29.3% of the time and 32.1% of the time on the right for a 'rightie'.

Left footed players score more the righties when shooting to their weak side.

Total % for lefties from 406 pens = 81.0%
Total % for righties from 1011 pens = 79.8%

I'm no expert on stats but i think we can conclude from this that we are, as usual, arguing about nothing.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I don't agree with with much of what you've said Chief.

I'm arguing why if you think left footers are easier to read (Which I don't think they are), then they aren't inferior penalty takers.

If a goalkeeper knew Ronaldo was going bottom left every time, you'd see more shots saved than are now.
If a keeper dives in the direction of penalty it clearly means he read where it was headed. But that obviously doesn't mean he will stop or get near it. Thus since Ronaldo always hits his penalties with the right amount of power, keepers are not likely to ever stop them. Even if he was to pick the same spot all the time.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Give up!

Chief's Rule:

WHOEVER CONFRONTS THE CHIEF WITH AN IDEA OF HIS OWN, MUST LEAVE WITH THE CHIEF'S IDEA.

Dear fecking god.

No one is saying they will definately save a predictably hit penalty. It just becomes easier since they have an idea where it's going.
That's just fecking stupid. It doens't matter if you have an idea. If the taker does his job you wont have a prayer as a keeper. Any one who has taken penalties or tried saving them knows this.

You are saying a predictably hit penalty isn't easier to save, which is fecking stupid.
Then why haven't keepers who go in the right direction a penalty is hit been, more often than not, able to keep them all or most of them out?

Sultan

If a keeper dives in the direction of penalty it clearly means he read where it was headed. But that obviously doesn't mean he will stop or get near it. Thus since Ronaldo always hits his penalties with the right amount of power, keepers are not likely to ever stop them. Even if he was to pick the same spot all the time.
If left footers are so predictable, why don't the goalkeepers stand slightly towards the predictable side, instead of the middle?

That way it makes no difference how hard the penalty has been hit, surely his chances of saving it increases.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Then why haven't keepers who go in the right direction a penalty is hit been, more often than not, been able to keep them out?
If a keeper goes in the right direction he will save a higher proportion of penalties than he does when he goes the wrong way, that's for sure.

This simple fact seems to have escaped you somewhat.

Cornell

That's just fecking stupid. It doens't matter if you have an idea. If the taker does his job you wont have a prayer as a keeper. Any one who has taken penalties or tried saving them knows this.

Then why haven't keepers who go in the right direction a penalty is hit been, more often than not, been able to keep them out?
If a keeper goes the right way it's not neccesarily because he knew the taker would hit it that way.

A penalty isn't predictable just 'cause the keeper jumps the right way.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
That's cos you've never taken one
I have.

never had before I went to Uni though. The manager asked for a new penalty taker before the season started, and I volunteered on the basis of never having missed one...

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Ah I didn't see the more recent strand of the argument there.

Well in light of the new direction this bizarre argument has taken I've had a better look at the figures in the study from before;

Left footed kicker is read by the goalkeeper 45.8%

Right footed kicker.........

wait for it..........

48.4% of the time.

Interestingly enough within those figures goalkeepers choices reflected what 'footed' the kicker was, choosing to dive left for a 'leftie' 29.3% of the time and 32.1% of the time on the right for a 'rightie'.

Left footed players score more the righties when shooting to their weak side.

Total % for lefties from 406 pens = 81.0%
Total % for righties from 1011 pens = 79.8%

I'm no expert on stats but i think we can conclude from this that we are, as usual, arguing about nothing.
Which would entirely contradict the Chief's main argument, unless I'm missing something.

If a keeper goes the right way it's not neccesarily because he knew the taker would hit it that way.
A keeper almost always goes in the right direction because he read that the penalty was headed there.

A penalty isn't predictable just 'cause the keeper jumps the right way.
Very few keepers a just "jump the right way". You are assuming keepers merely gamble and go in a direction. Probably because you think penalty taking is some sort of lottery. Which would explain why you can't understand me at all.

If a keeper goes in the right direction he will save a higher proportion of penalties than he does when he goes the wrong way, that's for sure.
So? That doesn't answer my question to you? Why don't keepers who dive in the right direction of a penalty almost always keep them out?

This simple fact seems to have escaped you somewhat.
That's just another lame attempt by you to skirt away from the issue at hand. Answer the question I put to you. Dont cook up stupid lies like the one above. I haven said any where that if a keeper goes in the right direction he will not save a higher proportion of penalties than if he does in the opposite direction. That is not even a topic that can even be debated.

If left footers are so predictable, why don't the goalkeepers stand slightly towards the predictable side, instead of the middle?
Because that would be dumb, Sultan. The keeper is not supposed to create a wider area for the taker to score. That is why the keeper will always be in the middle of the goal! Even when he knows where the taker is about to place his spot kick. Doing other wise would be utterly unproffessional

That way it makes no difference how hard the penalty has been hit, surely his chances of saving it increases.
That is wrong because his chances of saving it can't increase by any serious margin with fore knowledge. Because he has to stand in the middle of the goal. Or he will simply make it too easy for the taker. Thus knowing where the taker will place his shot doesn't help him that much if at all. Especially if the taker hits the ball with the perfect amount of power & accuracy thus rendering the penalty unsaveable.

Cornell

That is wrong because his chances of saving it can't increase by any serious margin with fore knowledge. Because he has to stand in the middle of the goal. Or he will simply make it too easy for the taker. Thus knowing where the taker will place his shot doesn't help him that much if at all. Especially if the taker hits the ball with the perfect amount of power & accuracy thus rendering the penalty unsaveable.
I think if you were a keeper, the fact you knew where the ball was going and knowing 100% you were going to dive a certain direction would increase the chance of saving it by a serious margin.

Sultan

Because that would be dumb, Sultan. The keeper is not supposed to create a wider area for the taker to score. That is why the keeper will always be in the middle of the goal! Even when he knows where the taker is about to place his spot kick. Doing other wise would be utterly unproffessional

The professional thing to do is save the penalty. If as you say Lefties are mostly predictable, I would expect a goalkeeper to stand slightly to the predictable side to increase his chances of saving the spot kick.

Chapster

Penalties are a skill for the taker
but more like a lottery for the goalie

hence even if they guess right or 'read' right they mightn ot save it.

keepers diving one way or the other are most likely just playing the percentages based on the waht foot the kicker uses and what they've learnt from studying the penalty taker's technique on video

lynchie

You're not the only one. However really self confident ones like Richardson hardly ever miss. I personally don't trust Giggs, Saha and Evra in a shoot out situation.. And I lost faith in Scholes' penalties for shoot outs. Even though he isn't left footed.....
Left footers usually don't have variety in where they hit their penalties and hence are easier for keepers to read.
So you don't trust Giggs, Saha and Evra because they're left footed, but being left footed, and therefore more predictable, doesn't make you any worse at taking penalties?

Sultan

So you don't trust Giggs, Saha and Evra because they're left footed, but being left footed, and therefore more predictable, doesn't make you any worse at taking penalties?
:lol:

Hehe, let's see how he gets out of this Lynchie...

Cornell

I love how he leaves the "..." at the end as if he's begging someone to argue with him.

Got to be a WUM.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I haven said any where that if a keeper goes in the right direction he will not save a higher proportion of penalties than if he does in the opposite direction. That is not even a topic that can even be debated.
Christ, why do I bother?

Ok, one last attempt.

Just to take the inverse of what you've said above, you clearly agree that if a keeper goes in the right direction (i.e. reads the direction in which a penalty is going to go) he will save a higher proportion of penalties than if he dives in the opposite direction (i.e. fails to read the intented direction of the penalty)

Good. This is progress. Of a sort.

Now, you also very clearly believe that penalties taken by a leftie are easier to read (nobody else would agree with you on this, not even the data, but in the world of the Chief, this seems to be a "fact").

Wher you go a bit mentalist - and add 2+2 to get 5 - is your continued insistence that:

While I have consistently maintained from the start that their being more predictable when taking penalties doesn't mean their are inferior penalty takers.
No please tell me, how on God's green earth you can agree that it is possible for a keeper to save a greater proportion of left-footed penalties whilst insisting that you would not consider someone who is left footed as an "inferior penalty taker"?

kietotheworld

If the Goalkeeper goes the wrong way he will save 0% of Penalties on Target

If he goes the right way he will save a higher percentage of penalties than 0%

If we accept these two statements as fact, the predictability of a penalty has an influence on the chance of the penalty going in. I don't see how anyone could argue with this.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
If the Goalkeeper goes the wrong way he will save 0% of Penalties on Target

If he goes the right way he will save a higher percentage of penalties than 0%

If we accept these two statements as fact, the predictability of a penalty has an influence on the chance of the penalty going in. I don't see how anyone could argue with this.
He could save it with his foot you know.

The rest of your statement is pointless after this.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He could save it with his foot you know.

The rest of your statement is pointless after this.
So 0% increases to 1%, whatever. The rest of the statement still holds true.

If the Goalkeeper goes the wrong way he will save 1% of Penalties on Target

If he goes the right way he will save a higher percentage of penalties than 1%

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Actually I'm not asking them to prove a negative. I asked them to go and see it for themselves. Using the method I've used. to call that proving a negative is preposterous. Instead of finding out for themselves, all I'm getting on here is that I'm wrong. Based strictly on opinion and no solid evidence to refute what I stated. With the very method I derived my statement being scoffed at. Frankly, I'm not the one basing things on mere opinion in here. That's for sure.

It's true I would still say I'm correct only because there are studies that back me up. One which was even quoted in this thread showing that left footers miss penalties more than right footers in general. However I wouldn't call your methods wrong or your analysis flawed. For I can't teach you to see what I saw. It's up to your brain to intepret what your eyes tell you. Not me. Neither is it my place to judge what you see. I just know evidence exists to back me up.
I feel what you should have done is post this evidence along with your original assertion, as this may well have supported your argument much better than simply saying that what you know is correct.

Which is pointless. Because you already don't approve of my methods in the first place. So me posting data on here wont make you change your views on the issue. You'd still say they are wrong. Regardless.
To be honest I haven't said whether I approve or disprove of your methods. You are jumping to a conclusion about me there. I simply do not want to make my mind up without seeing all the data. I would, however, like to read some detailed studies so that I can make my mind up, as I simply do not have the time to undertake an individual empirica,l study into penalty taking.

ciderman9000000

it's nonsense though. he wont admit the simple fact that; IF they WERE easier to predict, they'd score less penalties. But they DON'T score less, so they MUST NOT be easier to predict.

It's fecking simple, everyone can see it except Rubbernob. He's arguing against everyone, why can't he just admit that he was wrong in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.