Fairly mainstream opinion : Onana isn’t Fabrice Ondoa, or very good

simplyared

I think he panics if he expects there's a shot coming. Don't know if anybody has noticed but he throws himself left or right or whatever before the shot has been kicked. He tries to anticipate where the ball will end up. It looks spectacular but it obviously doesn't work and he gets caught out.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
That metric doesn’t make him a top keeper though, that just shows how poor the midfield and defence have been. That’s why City Arseand Liverpool goalies will never make most saves top 10. I would start bringing in the U18 goalie in as backup, everyone who watches the youth on tv rate him.
Ok, well how about 2nd most saves in the league and 4th in the league with 8 clean sheets? In my opinion, the only keeper that has been better than him in the league this year is Pickford with 108 saves and 11 clean sheets

RedDevil@84

Before he came here, someone observed he was Bailly of the keepers. It is all a bit chaotic with him. Can do some good things and follow it up with some brainfart moments.

mu4c_20le

I think he panics if he expects there's a shot coming. Don't know if anybody has noticed but he throws himself left or right or whatever before the shot has been kicked. He tries to anticipate where the ball will end up. It looks spectacular but it obviously doesn't work and he gets caught out.
Heavy body mass and lack of agility. Makes deflected shots seem impossible to save because he's already planted his foot and can only pray it goes wide.

jimmyb2000

I read on another United site that the decision has already been made on him and the club will try to move him on in the summer. If he decides he doesn't want to move then he'll end up as 2nd choice keeper as club acknowledge that he's not good enough going forward.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I read on another United site that the decision has already been made on him and the club will try to move him on in the summer. If he decides he doesn't want to move then he'll end up as 2nd choice keeper as club acknowledge that he's not good enough going forward.
Let's hope it's true. A top quality keeper and striker can make a huge difference to the team. However, I am not sure we'll have the money to get an expensive first choice keeper in addition to all the other positions we need to bring in players.

Last edited:

Stadjer

You shouldnt believe everything you read on the internet

UpWithRivers

Fundamentals. He gets them all wrong. Ben Foster does an analysis of keepers and he did one for Onana for Solankes shot. To the untrained eye it doesn't seem that bad and probably most of the keepers in the would get it wrong. But for a really top keeper they need to be in the exact spot, dive the exact right time etc. And they need to do this 99 percent of the time. Onana is always a step too left, half a step too right, start diving half a second too early etc. Its hard for us fans who are not pros or analysts to see what's exactly wrong but you can just tell its off.

Red Star One

Such a brutal game for him, he was excellent and had a couple of great interventions, good in distribution, and then he does this fecking punch, it's a clear penalty for me.

Stadjer

He had a really good game until he tried to correct Casemiro his ridiculous header. He did that way too rash. I put the blame for that penalty mostly on Casemiro though

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sometimes great, sometimes shit, usually lacking composure. He’s the Fred of keepers - erratic and not good enough.

Redstain

Had a solid solid game and im far from a fan of his, Burnley would have been 3 up comfortably if not for him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Probably a neutral performance. On one hand, a couple of nice saves. On another, he went Stone Cold Steve Austin on someone and cost us two points.

RedDevilQuebecois

Does he ever read the room before he goes for the ball?

One of my mates is right about one thing: there is no way there is a dumber goalkeeper than Onana. He cost us at least 20 points in the League and that is before I say anything about his Champions League feck-ups.

idek2346

Onana saved us 1 point. It could've easily been 2/3-0 to Burnely in the first half. Huge credit to him.

Last edited:

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Not at all. Are we forgetting the chances the players missed in the first half? Garnacho had a couple and so did Antony.
He elbowed a player when the ball was already won because he can't read the game well enough. Conceedes a pen and we go on to draw. He had some good saves, but he didn't save us.

Judas

Open to offers
Kind of felt like he was due to give a pen away exactly like that, after he got away with similar in the first game of the season against Wolves. Casemiro put him in a bad spot and he flapped like debut season De Gea.