Fairly mainstream opinion : Onana isn’t Fabrice Ondoa, or very good

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
What has the system got to do with keeping out simple shots? Onana is full of schoolboy errors, the system has nothing to do with anything.

Yes, he wouldn't have conceded so many with better defenders ahead of him, but those numerous incessant silly errors are indefensible.
He doesn’t orient himself or move his feet when the ball gets pinged around. That’s just bad technique and he always has to dive to keep out even the tamest shots.

Litch

Hes a good keeper but the pressure has got to him along with our absolute shit start....

lilcurt

It's not like we have a golden glove winner in net last season... Change was so desperately needed.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I think eventually he'll come good as he shown previously. But it's a rough couple of weeks for him.

Mercurial

Nope, the ridiculous take is to view that Onana is suddenly a crap keeper when playing in this pathetic Utd side.

As I said, put Ederson in this side and the exact same thing will happen. Put Onana in City and he’ll shine.

Anyone with even a basic grasp of football can see this.

He’s the wrong keeper for this Utd side, and it’s rocked his confidence obviously, but he’s well established as a top quality goal keeper.
He was shit for Inter too, don't let that need CL run fool you. He cost them so many silly goals.

sammyhol

Schmeichal tearing his technique to pieces on the stream I’m watching, for saves along the ground.

That he isn’t even demonstrating the basic techniques you learn as a kid for saves along the ground, as shown in the this game and the Munich game.

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
I tried to tell you when you signed him... He's NOT a very good shot stopper, in general. And he has ALWAYS made loads of bizarre errors. I hate that Inter made that much money off this guy. Kills me inside.

Amira

This is delusion, honestly. The system makes him look bad. Then to top off with the condescension of "anyone with a basix grasp of football can see this" :lol: :lol: :lol:

He wouldn't get into the under 14s I'm coaching the way he's currently playing. Maybe if I switched the system though :lol::lol::lol: Feck me
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dr. StrangeHate

I tried to tell you when you signed him... He's NOT a very good shot stopper, in general. And he has ALWAYS made loads of bizarre errors. I hate that Inter made that much money off this guy. Kills me inside.
Imagine how we feel.

Stadjer

It's not like we have a golden glove winner in net last season... Change was so desperately needed.
The golden glove isnt just a keeper winning it. Winning that golden glove was a joint effort of a average goalkeeper statswise in combination with a defense of AWB, Varane, Martinez, Shaw covered by a very good Casemiro.

Currently there is a goalkeeper that has been mostly shit and a defense of Dalot, Lindelof and any combination of Martinez/Shaw/AWB but mostly Evans/Maguire/Reguilon and a shit Casemiro.

ShinjiNinja26

Pep made the exact same mistake when he signed Claudio Bravo. Fortunately for him he had the luxury of City being able to bin him off the following summer and drop another £35m on Ederson.

Spark

It's a position that demands a complete personality - someone who can handle pressure like water off a ducks back, as well as being absolutely quality most of the time. De Gea was quality, the game just modernised beyond him and he did need replacing (still contend that the savage nature of his departure was totally unnecessary).

Onana can pass, but now that the pressure has totally got to him he's making howlers week in, week out, which negates the one quality he was supposed to add to the team. He's fecking up multiple times per match and his career at United is vastly becoming unsustainable. This signing is on ETH, but also the entire fecking club apparatus that consistently allows these grossly expensive flops.

I understand why we let that moody prick Henderson go, but the fact we've then let Kovar - who by all accounts is class - is another fantastic bit of forward planning by the club.

We're just run in the most depressing manner. Sack ETH, sell Onana, we will just have a different manager losing to Brentford, Palace, Brighton, Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool and City. The rot that everyone predicted 15 years ago has well and truly set in.

lilcurt

The golden glove isnt just a keeper winning it. Winning that golden glove was a joint effort of a average goalkeeper statswise in combination with a defense of AWB, Varane, Martinez, Shaw covered by a very good Casemiro.

Currently there is a goalkeeper that has been mostly shit and a defense of Dalot, Lindelof and any combination of Martinez/Shaw/AWB but mostly Evans/Maguire/Reguilon and a shit Casemiro.
You are of course correct, I was being ironic. However, my point remains that attack and midfield should have been priorities over a GK. Even another CB before a GK.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
You’re just repeating yourself and clearly trolling/wumming at this point
I’m repeating myself because my opinion of Onana, formed over years of watching his, isn’t changing based on what I’m seeing in a crumbing, always on the brink Utd side.

I have a different opinion to some in here, that doesn’t make me a ‘WUM’, what is the ‘wind up’?

I’m saying ‘stay calm and address the system and you will get the best out of him’, as he’s shown for years elsewhere.

A troll is someone who tries to stir up emotion and panic, I’m literally doing the opposite with Onana.

It’s not my fault if some people can’t handle a differing opinion on a fecking footballer.

I mean this is literally you…

Sorry but have you ever seen a worse keeper at any other club? I bet you can’t name one.
To me, THAT is trolling.

RedDevilQuebecois

He's the worst keeper I've ever seen at United
I second that point. He found a way to get ranked behind the likes of Bosnich, Taibi, Carroll, Howard and Foster among those who made too many errors when they had to hold the number 1 position at various points. Is Onana even aware how difficult that is to get that low?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I second that point. He found a way to get ranked behind the likes of Bosnich, Taibi, Carroll, Howard and Foster among those who made too many errors when they had to hold the number 1 position at various points. Is Onana even aware how difficult that is to get that low?
Howler in every game

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Nope, the ridiculous take is to view that Onana is suddenly a crap keeper when playing in this pathetic Utd side.

As I said, put Ederson in this side and the exact same thing will happen. Put Onana in City and he’ll shine.

Anyone with even a basic grasp of football can see this.

He’s the wrong keeper for this Utd side, and it’s rocked his confidence obviously, but he’s well established as a top quality goal keeper.
I guarantee you Edersom would have saved the goal today. It was smack down the middle with no power FFS!

FattyFooty

I feel that only Taibi can be discussed.

I can not remember any of the others doing mistakes like this game after game.

Another thing is how bad hes tecnical. Its insane. He looks like Barthez from wish.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Anyone with even a basic grasp of how WUMs operate can see that.
You’re right. After literally years of being a top keeper for multiple other clubs, including during the most recent CL final, Onana has overnight become a bonafide terrible keeper.

Anyone suggesting otherwise is a WUM, and the balanced take is ‘OmGz wAs tHeRE eVer a wOrSe KeEper!!?1!’.

It has nothing to do with him playing in a side that for 10 years has had a pure shot stopper and isn’t, in any way at all, geared toward having a full on ball playing GK, no, the more logical takeaway is that he has, genuinely, become a terrible keeper overnight.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
You’re right. After literally years of being a top keeper for multiple other clubs, including during the most recent CL final, Onana has overnight become a bonafide terrible keeper.

Anyone suggesting otherwise is a WUM, and the balanced take is ‘OmGz wAs tHeRE eVer a wOrSe KeEper!!?1!’.

It has nothing to do with him playing in a side that for 10 years has had a pure shot stopper and isn’t, in any way at all, geared toward having a full on ball playing GK, no, the more logical takeaway is that he has, genuinely, become a terrible keeper overnight.
I think you might have missed my point!

Irwin99

Taibi only played 4 games i believe and was MOTM in one of them. Not a big enough sample size.

It's not looking good for Onana so far.

Mercurial

If you watch his efforts in Serie A and UCL you will quickly see he made stinkers routinely at Inter. Despite High end defensive in front. And was lucky they outpaced his many errors offensively with close to 80 goals. Noone cares for stinkers if you end up winning, but here we are, stinkers are still there, and we're not outpacing them offensively.

LDUred

Onana is crap but he is not the source of the problem.

The fact is that Erik Ten Hag cannot sign players to save his life. The absolute state of the list of players he has spaffed money on; it is just eye-watering.

We need a strong director of football ASAP.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Onana is crap but he is not the source of the problem.

The fact is that Erik Ten Hag cannot sign players to save his life. The absolute state of the list of players he has spaffed money on; it is just eye-watering.

We need a strong director of football ASAP.
Its not his job

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
De Gea was a supreme shot stopper, who had a tendency to make colossal errors.

Onana can pass a lot better, but seems to have 2 massive flaws.
1 - crouching down when coming out on 1 v 1s, and 2 - not being able to stop moderate shots, let alone difficult ones.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I can’t get over how many goals he’s given away so far. The one today was pathetic.
He's got a top 5 of howlers already hasn't he.

2 goals where players have raced in and he's just sat down - v Forest and v Gala, today, letting such a pee roller in, and at least 2 others of dubious quality.