Fairly mainstream opinion : Onana isn’t Fabrice Ondoa, or very good

El Jefe

Undeniable that he should be let go in the summer. At the very least we need a new number 1.

Once you have a keeper as unreliable as this, it becomes negligent to give them the opportunity of a second season to prove their starting position.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I am on about the simple fact when someone says "he was making blunders constantly over 4 months" when that isn't even remotely true, he had great games over that time, decent games, bad games, terrible games. It is not as straightforward as that. I am done with clownish extremes people post just for the sake of it.
I said he’s made blunders for months. He has; that is a facht.
And as another poster said it’s not just down to concentration, it’s terrible technique. He’s just not a very good goal keeper. It is ok to say that. I also feel he’s cost us this champions league campaign, it’s ok to say that too.

Yakuza_devils

I can't believe that we spent most of our summer budget on Onana and Mount. This is another Antony signing where ETH knows them well and yet went ahead with the signing. Unbelievable.

We need a reliable GK and not a GK where every shot at our goals we will shit ourselves.

Try Bayindir please.... Forget about this clown. He has single handedly kicked us out of CL. Taibi was better than him.

Baneofthegame

Part of me feels that he has a bet for us not to qualify, how many errors leading to goals is that in 5 cl games?

Acquire Me

Still had De Gea and we’d be through already. Wouldn’t need any kind of result against Bayern.
That is sadly fact. A friend of mine said it all along. Better to have a great goal stopper until the squad knows how to play with each other. At least then he will save us some point and win us some matches when things are not looking good.

Yanited__

Whether it's lack of confidence (or overconfidence even) or his technique, somethings not right. He's prone to a mistake. He goes through spells in the game where he looks good then looks really shaky.

I know everyone's talking about the shot stopping which I get but for me it's actually when he's on the ball (which people seem to praise him for). He's definitely confident on the ball but he puts his backline under pressure. He needs to learn when to play it out from the back and when he needs to kick it long. He seems to invite pressure at the wrong times.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Part of me feels that he has a bet for us not to qualify, how many errors leading to goals is that in 5 cl games?
I didn't want to say it but was thinking the same. Its honestly genuinely ridiculous mistakes which a reserve goalkeeper shouldn't even make.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I am on about the simple fact when someone says "he was making blunders constantly over 4 months" when that isn't even remotely true, he had great games over that time, decent games, bad games, terrible games. It is not as straightforward as that. I am done with clownish extremes people post just for the sake of it.

People think "Oh you are defending him, saying he is not that bad". No, he was terrible this game, I am not blind, I am just against stupid extremes, knee jerk posts, our own player childish name calling and abuse etc. You can call him being terrible without childish abuse. Simple as that.
You’re asking a bit much if you’re expecting people right after a game to not be wound up and being extreme with opinions.

Yakuza_devils

Another strange habit of his, I have never seen a GK keep parried the shots back to the center of penalty box and not to the sides. This is dangerous if the opponent get to the rebound first. He needs to get back to the basic.

baskinginthesun

Really difficult to defend deep and rely and your GK when blunders like this happen. Onana invited unnecessary pressure today and everytime he makes a mistake a team is going to exploit that.

Laurencio

Kinda wild that Inter got to the final with him :nervous:

And that he was pretty good too...

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
What's even worse about today is Newcastle are going to be absolutely fired up, taking pot shots at him all game knowing there's a number of mistakes in him. They'll make the place a cauldron, too.

That's going to make the backline nervous because they can't trust this guy.

He shouldn't start.

Lentwood

Lazy signing really. I don't think Onana is terrible, I just think he's a pretty average goalkeeper who, like many before him, has struggled under the intense spotlight of being a United goalkeeper.

You could make a case to say that if we had someone of Allison's quality in goal that we'd be top of the PL and our CL group.

SER19

why did he go for that freekick with one hand? it makes no sense

GreatDane

Well, at this point it’s certainly clear to everyone that we’d both be a better team and 50 million richer if we had retained DDG on lower wages.
We like to waste money, that's for sure.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
He's had a horrendous start to his United career. But he's been here 4 months, is struggling to adapt and on top of that is thrown into a team who is also struggling. Same for everyone at the minute. It isn't just him making mistakes and playing shite. Not excusing him too much, i feel under less pressure and playing in a team capable of controlling games he would have settled far better.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
why did he go for that freekick with one hand? it makes no sense
I can't get over it. What was he trying to do? Why was he trying to do it? And how, after he did it, did he manage to punch it into his own bloody net.

Redlyn

Always felt it was a bit strange how easy it was for us to sign him in fairness, Inter didn't to seem to oppose it.
Top dollar for an average keeper. For that fee they pretty much bit our hand off.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He's had a horrendous start to his United career. But he's been here 4 months, is struggling to adapt and on top of that is thrown into a team who is also struggling. Same for everyone at the minute. It isn't just him making mistakes and playing shite. Not excusing him too much, i feel under less pressure and playing in a team capable of controlling games he would have settled far better.
He was meant to be the one solving the issues. We were finally going to see the master plan once we signed him. Not even the blunders, but where's the playing out from the back? Galatasaray did it better than I've seen us do it at all under Ten Hag. So what was the point really? All he does is play a 1-2 with our CB and go long.

Devil81

How long can we keep rolling that excuse out. They weren't struggling tonight and the two free kicks were the basics of goalkeeping.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He’s a long term option. Yes he’s worse than Taibi but I knew when we got a new keeper he’d come in full of errors.

RedRocket9908

This Onana hate campaign amongst our fanbase is ridiculous, how is he supposed to succeed when his own fans are all hating on him from the second he arrived.

David De Gea was a liability and single handedly cost us a lot of games and got us knocked out of the Champions League in 2020-21 but never at any point was hated by his own fans as much as Onana is.

Aretak

Always felt it was a bit strange how easy it was for us to sign him in fairness, Inter didn't to seem to oppose it.
Inter replaced him with a better goalkeeper for 10% of the Onana fee. It would have been negligent to refuse that sort of money for him.

Yakuza_devils

I thought with Murtough as DOF we have a team of data analysis or something to view 20,000 GKs before we signed Onana? Or we just went with ETH's recommendation?

Sparky Rhiwabon

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
This Onana hate campaign amongst our fanbase is ridiculous, how is he supposed to succeed when his own fans are all hating on him from the second he arrived.

David De Gea was a liability and single handedly cost us a lot of games and got us knocked out of the Champions League in 2020-21 but never at any point was hated by his own fans as much as Onana is.
He came in acting billy big bollocks charging off his line to berate the club captain, the easy target. I’m sure he’s man enough to handle being called shit when he’s played shit

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

Yet you can come and say that about fecking De Gea, somebody that actually earned some respect and was treated like shit by the club and Ten Hag. And before you say it I'm not even one of the De Gea agenda posters. I'm just calling a spade a spade. De Gea was no worse than this yet had amazing saves still in his locker.

Devil81

The second paragraph is actually correct but that doesn't excuse the errors Onana is making.