Fairly mainstream opinion : Onana isn’t Fabrice Ondoa, or very good

David De Gea

You can't even say that Onana has been terrible this season. Agreed with the rest of your post. It's the truth. Don't let them silence you. :D
Yes he has. He was worse than terrible - atrocious, abysmal, comical in our Champions league campaign.

The situations are not comparable either; one came here as a youngster (in goalkeeping terms) and went on to be player of the season how many times? Took our breath away with amazing saves time and time again, making saves that literally won us points and then yeah went to shit in his last season.

Onana has come here for big money, as an international at the peak of his game with a self confidence to boot. He won't be player of the season ever here and with any luck the new manager/ineos stato's and boffins will move him on ASAP. He's a comedy keeper and I dont fall for the nonsense of him making a couple of standard saves somehow absolves him of letting so many saveable shots in.

Since I started supporting United around 96 I can only think of a few keepers I'd rate lower than him and none of them were regular starters/number 1. Absolute. BOBBINS.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not at all, I have praised him when due - but across the season he has conceded a lot of unnecessary goals, dropped a lot of points for us, and it’s fair that that is discussed too.

What’s weird is how personally you take anyone posting badly about him. He isn’t going to shag you mate! :D
Yeah, not true and you haven't. Consistently in this thread you have blamed him for goals that he couldn't have done much about and go very quiet when you can't.

Pointing out this is a poor thread and questioning you if I think you're talking rubbish isn't taking anything personally. But it's clear judgement isn't your strongest quality.

yorkshire red

A real shame as seems a decent character but nowhere near the quality needed, will cost more points then he saves in my opinion, be interesting to see how he is when /if he has long periods in games with nothing to do, always a crucial point for a keeper in a top team or one aiming to be

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Yeah, not true and you haven't. Consistently in this thread you have blamed him for goals that he couldn't have done much about and go very quiet when you can't.

Pointing out this is a poor thread and questioning you if I think you're talking rubbish isn't taking anything personally. But it's clear judgement isn't your strongest quality.
Try again, I literally tagged you in one of them!
Credit where it’s due, he was good when called upon today. Nothing spectacular but solid enough. Well done Andre!

(see @sebsheep, I can be fair! ;))
Very good tonight. Nice to see him play like the keeper we thought we were getting!
Very good again today, despite conceding 3. He’s really finding himself and getting up to the speed of the English game. Well done Andre, keep it up lad!
Very brave to smother the ball at the feet of Godfrey early on, and an impressive block low at his near post in the second half to stop a certain goal. He’s coming good, keep going Andre!

frostbite

Onana is the new Barthez.

To be fair, Onana made more mistakes in a year than Barthez made in 3 years with us.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
This thread is a joke and abit of a stain on the fanbase. Should be locked to stop idiots spewing nonsense mid game.

Irwin99

Just seen the first goal on the highlights. Still not entirely convinced sometimes but there have been some positives from him this season too.

I would like to see the club get a good second keeper next season, just as some competition.

Rojofiam

Yes he has. He was worse than terrible - atrocious, abysmal, comical in our Champions league campaign.

The situations are not comparable either; one came here as a youngster (in goalkeeping terms) and went on to be player of the season how many times? Took our breath away with amazing saves time and time again, making saves that literally won us points and then yeah went to shit in his last season.

Onana has come here for big money, as an international at the peak of his game with a self confidence to boot. He won't be player of the season ever here and with any luck the new manager/ineos stato's and boffins will move him on ASAP. He's a comedy keeper and I dont fall for the nonsense of him making a couple of standard saves somehow absolves him of letting so many saveable shots in.

Since I started supporting United around 96 I can only think of a few keepers I'd rate lower than him and none of them were regular starters/number 1. Absolute. BOBBINS.
This response with that username is killing me :lol: :lol: :lol:

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Try again, I literally tagged you in one of them!
You got me, should've said rarely!
Maybe while you're already looking you could find all your negative posts and then check the ratios of positive and negative posts for good and bad games. I'm sure that would really help you make your point.

Rodgerzzz

Well never be a top team with this clown in nets. Honestly most keepers retire with a shorter blooper reel than he has put together in less than a season.

Sometimes it feels like the emperors new clothes when he makes a couple of standard saves (that often come off him at crazy angles - watch) and I come on here reading about how he's great and the last thing we need to change.

His number one job has to be keeping the ball out of the net and it's generous to say he's even average at that. He's a basket case and as someone who's always taken as much pleasure from seeing an amazing save as an amazing goal I cannot wait to see the back of him.
Any luck on the job hunting Dave?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
My old boss once told me, "If you're going to f*ck up, f*ck up big, because it's the stupid little mistakes that drive me nuts". For me, this is exactly what Onana has done this year. He's made big mistakes. These aren't little mistakes that he will make over and over. They are a one off that aren't something to really worry about unless they are more than a one off. He was horrible in the Champions League. No doubt. He may have single handedly cost us from advancing to the knock out stage or even getting into Europa. He had some howlers. With that being said, in the EPL I will go as far as to say he has been a top 3 keeper in the league. In fact, he has made the 2nd most saves in the league. The only keeper to make more saves plays for Luton. And the rest of the top 10 for saves all play for bottom half of the table teams other than West Ham.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/saves

Judas

Open to offers
Such a horrible toxic and childish thread, desperately bumped with glee when he makes any sort of error. Imagine being so desperate to be right on a forum that you seem happy when a member of the team you support messes up?

E-mal

Can never trust him, with him in goal, opponents have always got a chance

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Casemiro and Eriksen decided to faff about with the ball (because they're as slow as molasses), and then Casemiro had to pass it back to Onana from a dodgy angle. Onana took a dodgy touch and got a bit jittery, so he rushed the pass to Dalot without even bothering to look. It's one of those things, really. Seems like everything that could possibly go tits up at the back, will go tits up. Can't say I'm expecting anything different from our third-choice defence and non-existent defensive midfield, to be honest.

Judas

Open to offers
The mistake tonight is excusable, it's the sort of mistake that will happen with this style of keeping and football. It didn't really bother me? The more basic goalkeeping errors are far more annoying and troublesome, the geninue howlers.

TheGhostOfJamesJoyce

He needs replacing ASAP.

Like, it should be out biggest priority.

He was never good enough to begin with, but I am sure some fans will be happy with his: 'doing-noting-above-what-is-expected-approach'.

The fan base of this club is becoming a joke; seriously content with absolute mediocrity.

Jesus Christ. I almost feel like giving up.

The Kag

DDG was also terrible in his first season at the club. I think with a settled and better structured team ahead of him , he will turn out pretty good.

Least of our troubles.
I understand the sentiment, but why do people constantly compare De Gea's first season with Onana's? De Gea was 20-years-old when he joined United. Onana was 27. It's not an apt comparison at all.

sdb4884

Definitley needs replacing but I don't think we should spend 50m plus on a replacement eg: Costa. He's a massive risk though every time we step on the field.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
His blooper reel from this season must be enormous. Also gets beaten on his near post consistently. Feels like we should be doing a lot better than him.

David De Gea

Such a horrible toxic and childish thread, desperately bumped with glee when he makes any sort of error. Imagine being so desperate to be right on a forum that you seem happy when a member of the team you support messes up?
Yeah it doesn't take too long because he's a shambles and will constantly make these sort of howlers as he has displayed throughout his short time here.

Lads, I get it, my user name is De Gea, it's hilarious. But if you're biggest defense of Onana is go go after DDG and his wages then I think that says it all. Particularly when even his biggest fans (like me) agreed it was time for him to move on. I just don't think Onono and his comedy goalkeeping should have been the answer.

He's always going to be a weakness for this team knowing he can drop an absolute clanger at any minute with a penchant for doing it in the biggest moments. Then just look at his basics and the amount of saveable shots he just let's by him.

I'd take any of Barthez, Bosnich, Howard, Kusczak, Van der Gouw, Foster or Lindegaard over this clown.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Who is toxically and childishly, gleeful? Or you are not able to handle a performance thread mentioning a player having a brainfart.

freshibal

the ultimate combination is genius and insanity
My old boss once told me, "If you're going to f*ck up, f*ck up big, because it's the stupid little mistakes that drive me nuts". For me, this is exactly what Onana has done this year. He's made big mistakes. These aren't little mistakes that he will make over and over. They are a one off that aren't something to really worry about unless they are more than a one off. He was horrible in the Champions League. No doubt. He may have single handedly cost us from advancing to the knock out stage or even getting into Europa. He had some howlers. With that being said, in the EPL I will go as far as to say he has been a top 3 keeper in the league. In fact, he has made the 2nd most saves in the league. The only keeper to make more saves plays for Luton. And the rest of the top 10 for saves all play for bottom half of the table teams other than West Ham.

Your old boss sounds like fecking idiot

Matt Varnish

Yeah it doesn't take too long because he's a shambles and will constantly make these sort of howlers as he has displayed throughout his short time here.

Lads, I get it, my user name is De Gea, it's hilarious. But if you're biggest defense of Onana is go go after DDG and his wages then I think that says it all. Particularly when even his biggest fans (like me) agreed it was time for him to move on. I just don't think Onono and his comedy goalkeeping should have been the answer.

He's always going to be a weakness for this team knowing he can drop an absolute clanger at any minute with a penchant for doing it in the biggest moments. Then just look at his basics and the amount of saveable shots he just let's by him.

I'd take any of Barthez, Bosnich, Howard, Kusczak, Van der Gouw, Foster or Lindegaard over this clown.
You ruined it by including Bosnich

simplyared

First time I heard the word clown being associated with a goalkeeper came from Brian Clough after Jan Tomiszweski's heroic performance against England 1973. Resulted in England not going to World Cup in Brazil.
I now see on this forum the same word being used to describe Onana. Also he seems to be yet another player who splits the caf in two. Clown or hero??
More of a clown I would say and I've enough to back that up!

Mike Smalling

He's lucky he did that at home against the worst side in the league. In any other game it probably would have cost us points.

Clearly he's made too many mistakes this season, and I still have doubts over his agility and saving technique to get down towards low shots. Still think he could improve next season if he builds his confidence and settles in. We also don't really have the luxury of finding another keeper, so there's that.

wolvored

That metric doesn’t make him a top keeper though, that just shows how poor the midfield and defence have been. That’s why City Arseand Liverpool goalies will never make most saves top 10. I would start bringing in the U18 goalie in as backup, everyone who watches the youth on tv rate him.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
He has great games and is capable of genuinely great saves. But he never seems too far from a big mistake.

He's not got enough for this league, at this club and will not improve significantly enough to be considered so, in my opinion.

I don't even think he's THAT good with the ball tbh.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
That metric doesn’t make him a top keeper though, that just shows how poor the midfield and defence have been. That’s why City Arseand Liverpool goalies will never make most saves top 10. I would start bringing in the U18 goalie in as backup, everyone who watches the youth on tv rate him.
I like what I have seen, but I'm not sure him sitting on the bench as back up is a particularly good move for him.

He needs games to develop. He also needs a solid line in front of him for me. I wouldn't want any young keeper behind this absolute car crash.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
In the league, he has been pretty good for the most part. I doubt he has made more mistakes than the average keeper. In the CL for some reason he was terrible this season, but I doubt we will see that again.

He has definitely changed the level of confidence at the back with the ball at his feet, even if his distribution is not always good.

Overall, I think we are ok with him going forward.

Conor

Every top keeper in the world playing out from the back has bloopers of that exact mistake.

RoyH1

He needs replacing ASAP.

Like, it should be out biggest priority.

He was never good enough to begin with, but I am sure some fans will be happy with his: 'doing-noting-above-what-is-expected-approach'.

The fan base of this club is becoming a joke; seriously content with absolute mediocrity.

Jesus Christ. I almost feel like giving up.
We can and should do better than him. The whole "playing from the back" thing has turned into a cult thing. Yes it's important for a modern keeper to be able to play with his feet but it's not as important as stopping the ball from going into the net with your hands.

But I disagree with the bit about replacing him being our biggest priority. We have big needs across the length and breadth of the pitch and a lot of deadwood that we hopefully can start shedding. We need a lot of players and we won't get all of them in a window or even two.

We can survive with Onana until we have a better squad and the market gives us an opportunity. Any promising keepers in our youth teams?