Unpopular Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I would largely agree with this as an Englishman. Despite not exactly having much to shout about with my national team, nothing comes close to the spectacle, quality and aura of a World Cup.
I just find it a little weird that people consider club over country. I mean, you were born a certain nationality, and it is part of who you are, and you grew up and were raised in the country (usually). How can that not give you more personal pride then seeing your club team win? I guess it's different if your a local fan who your whole family have been United fans, but that's still more of a personal choice rather then what you were born with. Maybe its just that Balkan people in general are more patriotic then others. All I know is that Bosnia making the world cup this year beat United winning the champions league final in 08 or 1999 (which was amazing, and some of the best moments in my life, don't get me wrong, but this beat them).

Mad Winger

Really? Last season was the birth of 'Zombie Football'.
I don't really see why. We scored a shitload of goals, had many comebacks, and RVP and Kagawa brought something special and different to our team. Especially the former, who was a sensation. We might have slowed down a bit mid-season, but that's because we had already effectively won it.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
First half of the season was actually quite good for the most part, we were scoring loads but also conceding loads... Fergie switched to the tried and tested version of our play that makes us more secure and more likely to grind out matches which is needed then, because our play in the first half wasn't sustainable because of the defence and midfield. Remember that run at the beginning where we in like the first 13 times we were losing, we came back to win 9 or 10 of those games? It was great to watch but it was a bit of a mess defensively.
Well I suppose it was entertaining in that sense. Our football was pretty poor though, we couldn't stop conceding. RVP dragged us through it along with Carrick.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I don't really see why. We scored a shitload of goals, had many comebacks, and RVP and Kagawa brought something special and different to our team. Especially the former, who was a sensation. We might have slowed down a bit mid-season, but that's because we had already effectively won it.
I should have known where this was going. I remember Fergie and most of the fans talking part way through the seaaon about Kagawa probably doing better in his second season. Hardly a ringing endorsement. Having said that, I was all for him replacing Rooney behind the striker this season based on what I'd call a promising first season. Definitely not 'sensational'.

Glanville95

I should have known where this was going. I remember Fergie and most of the fans talking part way through the seaaon about Kagawa probably doing better in his second season. Hardly a ringing endorsement. Having said that, I was all for him replacing Rooney behind the striker this season based on what I'd call a promising first season. Definitely not 'sensational'.
He's talking about van Persie.

psychdelicblues

A very unpopular opinion: I think that Glazers haven't been near as bad as people thought. And while they are still an easy target a lot of critics to them have been unfair. People haven't judged them on what they have done but on what they thought (maybe lead by certain individ/organization opinions) they will do. As of now, I would even go as far as saying that they have been okay/good owners.
Not really, judging by the poll in this thread.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Unpopular Opinion #1: Posters should stop getting worked up over position numbers.
- For example, the calling for selling of RvP and playing Rooney as 'proper No.9' and Kagwa as 'proper No.10' is just plain weird and tinkering where nothing is broken! With midfield woes, one of the foolhardy decision to remove Rooney's support to midfield.

Unpopular Opinion #2: The wing-play bashing should stop.
- We have seen what Nani, Valencia and Young on form can produce. Nani & Valencia have been past players of the season. Blame the one style play mode, but dont write off genrically all wing play as outdated.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Unpopular Opinion #1: Posters should stop getting worked up over position numbers.
- For example, the calling for selling of RvP and playing Rooney as 'proper No.9' and Kagwa as 'proper No.10' is just plain weird and tinkering where nothing is broken! With midfield woes, one of the foolhardy decision to remove Rooney's support to midfield.
Rooney's best season here was in the so called number nine or striker role. He isn't the same level a number ten as Mata or Kagawa. If Rooney was at any other top side in the world he'd be a striker and not a number ten.

Red Stone

Unpopular Opinion #2: The wing-play bashing should stop.
- We have seen what Nani, Valencia and Young on form can produce. Nani & Valencia have been past players of the season. Blame the one style play mode, but dont write off genrically all wing play as outdated.
We're not bashing wing-play in general. It's the wing-play of Nani, Valencia and Young. Can you honestly say that any of them have been good in the past year and a half?

I can't. With them being shite, it's incredible that Zaha didn't get more of a chance and it's even more incredible that we haven't tried a different approach and given Kagawa a proper chance to shine in a position and system that suits him, to see if it improves our play. Any improvement must be welcome at this point, surely?

What Nani and Valencia did two years ago should be irrelevant if they aren't producing the business now. Michael Owen won a Ballon d'Or once. He still wasn't good enough for us when he played for us.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Rooney's best season here was in the so called number nine or striker role. He isn't the same level a number ten as Mata or Kagawa. If Rooney was at any other top side in the world he'd be a striker and not a number ten.
What was good in 2009-10 or 2011-12 need not be good now. We did have a different team set up then, midfield was far better and contrinuted to about 20+ goals, leaving Rooney freedom to perform in a strikers role. Not exactly the same now. A strker was what the team needed then (Ronaldo leaving, failure of Berbatov) and a free roaming trequartista (as we now have RvP ahead) is what we need now. He is capable of playing both roles brilliantly.

The position he occupies and the way he play is not the same, yet he is the most effective player for the team. So why try to shoehorn him into a position that is not relevant to current team set up!

What we need right now is a player who can (1) create opportunities (2) score goals themselves and (3) help out in midifield/defense support. Mata and Kagawa are good in (1). Rooney may be a shade less in (1) , but miles ahead in (2) and (3) and that makes him and the position he plays untouchable, imo!

Last edited:

NoLogo

Our football under Moyes hasn't been worse then the last 3 seasons under Fergie. It's just that we lost our ability to comeback as well as our efficiency in front of goal that we still had during Fergie's reign.

Siorac

Valencia actually can use his left foot.
That can't even be called unpopular, that's just crazy.

I mean, how do you even know that? What's your basis for that assessment? Did you play football with him in the park? Did you see him dancing the Hopak? Did he massage you with his left foot?

Revan

Assumptionman
That can't even be called unpopular, that's just crazy.

I mean, how do you even know that? What's your basis for that assessment? Did you play football with him in the park? Did you see him dancing the Hopak? Did he massage you with his left foot?
It was a game this season when he used the left foot several times. Seriously.

The Caf went crazy in disbelief.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Withouth taking age into consideration, I think Robin Van Persie is a more important player for us than Wayne Rooney.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I always thought Jordi Cryuff was technically very decent and a good squad player to have around, despite his many...many injury problems, his performances once he left the club at Celta Vigo and Alaves showed a lot of the negativity he recieved while here was slightly unwarranted.

Edit. I also think Van Persie will privately ask to leave this summer.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I think if we don't finish in top 4, there will a mass exodus.

1) Mata & Januzaj on the wings, is not a solution for me. They need to play in a system where they both interchange but from in the hole to wing, not both as wingers at the same time. We need one out and out winger in the mould of a Hazard, extreme pace and direct to complement these two.

2)Midfield... I don't think anyone we possess is good enough. I'd get rid of the lot of them.

3) De Gea's distribution under Moyes is shit.

4) Rooney and RVP - one of the two has to go... I'd prefer to keep Rooney, but have a feeling both will leave if we fail to stay top 4.

5) I'm worried as to whether Moyes will make it to the end of the season, as I don't think the players are utterly convinced by him.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
6. We've become overly harsh on defenders, expecting them to stop everything. I blame the "analyzis generation" for this.
I agree. There's a tendency to, well, not accept the natural ebb and flow of any given football match - if that makes sense. Chances will be created, teams will be pushed back, goals will follow - it's not necessarily a matter of poor defending. The idea that everything bad that happens (be it important or unimportant matters) must be someone's fault, and this someone must be identified and chastised. It's not healthy. And it's contrary to the fact that sometimes, well, shit happens.

REDMULLERS

So far: no leadership, no belief, no luck.

Experienced players are in decline. Younger players haven't stepped up [save Januzaj] - yet!

Tactically, the worse things get the more Moyes reverts to type. Was it Einstein who said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results!

Utd will miss out on CL, share price will continue to fall, sponsorship revenue will stagnate etc.

Glazers will make changes to protect their investment.

Moyes will go in the summer.

Skywarden

So far: no leadership, no belief, no luck.

Experienced players are in decline. Younger players haven't stepped up [save Januzaj] - yet!

Tactically, the worse things get the more Moyes reverts to type. Was it Einstein who said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results!

Utd will miss out on CL, share price will continue to fall, sponsorship revenue will stagnate etc.

Glazers will make changes to protect their investment.

Moyes will go in the summer.
No. What Einstein said was "These are not unpopular opinions"

Mersault

:lol: He also said: Repeating the same thing over and over and over again is not the definition of insanity. But it's relatively fecking boring.
He also said no problem can be solved with the same level of consciousness that created it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He also said no problem can be solved with the same level of consciousness that created it.
Which is an excellent point - yes. But our particular predicament is, partly, that we don't know exactly what level of consciousness created the problem.

Mersault

Which is an excellent point - yes. But our particular predicament is, partly, that we don't know exactly what level of consciousness created the problem.
True. But a club such as ours should be looking at the best, not potentially the best given time. That's a huge risk. And we're seeing that now. We could have had a manager in place who would have immediately improved things. Ah, I have fallen into the loop of repetition...

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't understand the theory that one of Rooney or RVP has to go. Are we not allowed to have more than one good player? Our record when they both start and play together is very good. Much better than when only one plays.

For example, if Rooney leaves, do we replace Rooney with with another top striker? If so, then we have the same 'problem' of having two top class strikers.

If we don't replace Rooney, and RVP gets injured, then we are knackered.

Having two top class strikers = A good thing.

NoLogo

I agree. There's a tendency to, well, not accept the natural ebb and flow of any given football match - if that makes sense. Chances will be created, teams will be pushed back, goals will follow - it's not necessarily a matter of poor defending. The idea that everything bad that happens (be it important or unimportant matters) must be someone's fault, and this someone must be identified and chastised. It's not healthy. And it's contrary to the fact that sometimes, well, shit happens.
What annoys me most about blaming defenders is that often people totally overlook that fact that the defenders got into a bad spot because someone else lost the ball in a position he shouldn't have lost it or because the players higher up the pitch or in midfield didn't close down the player that could then pick out a precise pass without any pressure on him. We too often fail to stop the supplier but the defender who misses the header by a few centimeters or is beaten to the ball gets the blame in the end because it's easy.

Defending is always a team effort and if we concede it's usually not the fault of an individual but more a chain of mistakes that lead to this point.

PatrickP

Rafael is a liability and he needs to be replaced.

People blame Moyes for playing 442 but our fullbacks do not posess the ability to defend properly and therefore need the cover provided.

4231 will not work unless the issue of our fullbacks is addressed

Glanville95

I don't understand the theory that one of Rooney or RVP has to go. Are we not allowed to have more than one good player? Our record when they both start and play together is very good. Much better than when only one plays.

For example, if Rooney leaves, do we replace Rooney with with another top striker? If so, then we have the same 'problem' of having two top class strikers.

I agree, this is a ridiculous suggestion. I just don't understand the logic in willingly selling one of your few world-class players when they are two players who will/would contribute heavily to any success we have.

I understand the premise that playing with a natural, more creative and subtle offensive midfielder could be the first step in a shift towards a more fluid and modern style of play, but both Rooney and van Persie are massively influential players and the type we need if we want to return to the top of the table.

Manchester City are able to accommodate two world class players in Negredo and Aguero, so why shouldn't we? It's more of a issue with our coaching, tactics and management than simply stating we can't shoehorn two strikers into the team.

Mersault

I am all for retaining both. But I'm not particularly keen on giving Rooney a 300K contract as I do not think he merits it. Also, I'd prefer him to play behind van Persie in a more fluid 4231 formation now that we've got Mata, Kagawa and Januzaj to choose from...but Moyes will likely play Mata out of position and our two superstars up front together, getting no service. It basically all depends on how we play...
@Glanville95
I think City can do that because they've got a much better spine than we do. One of the best center backs, quite reliable full backs, who really do add to the attacking third, and a solid midfield, with perhaps one of the very best midfielders on the planet. Aguero is also a lot more mobile than either Rooney or van Persie in my view, I digress...

If the manager knows how to get the best out of them, great. If not, it becomes a problem.

Kaos

Carrick is overrated by us. Yes, he was incredibly important in our title triumph last season but that was more down to him being our only above-average midfielder (alongside Scholes)

Cleverley and Welbeck aren't United material.

I don't want Giggs to continue under a coaching/ambassadorial capacity for the club because I think he's cnut of a man.

Rooney should be sold in the summer. We shouldn't have to bribe any player to play for Manchester fcuking Untied with power gestures and ridiculous contracts. If he wants out then ship him off.

Chabon

Building on my earlier one, not only was signing RVP a mistake, but selling him this summer would be beneficial to the club and I hope it happens.

togg

I love this thread...you can say anything...it will always be relevant and appropriate...and you can feel totally released for saying whatever....a cathartic thread....

Nogbadthebad

The senior management of manchester united football club, including Fergie and Bobby, know more about football than people here, and they didnt appoint someone who 'hasnt a clue how to manage' .

Also, a bad season doesnt mean the sky is falling.

And one final one, we were winning, but the team has been playing tumescent football for a couple of years, it predates Moyes by quite a bit. We havent been truly adventurous for even longer.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I'd be okay with losing the next couple of games if it meant Moyes was sacked.
I hate admitting it to myself, and was thinking the exact opposite way yesterday(so I could try and change my opinion), but if losing a few games gets rid of him, then I don't mind. I'm not being spoilt, I'm just worried about the direction he'll take the club ,and the potential damage he'll cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.